Universal Combat Product Updates

The Battlecruiser Online Website (thanks Frans) has an update on how their upcoming Universal Combat products will be distributed, following their split with publisher DreamCatcher (story). Here's the deal:
We are in the process of stripping some Dreamcatcher created content (e.g. main menu graphic, animation logo, EULA etc) from the recently Gold UCAWA build. Once that is complete, the installer updated, everything tested etc, we will be releasing the product via our e-commerce partners.

The products page now has the final pricing info for the next two upcoming products (UCG and UCAWA). UCG is $19.99; and UCAWA is $29.99.

There will no longer be a UC to UCAWA upgrade product available (previously priced at $19.99). As such, UCAWA will be approximately 650MB download size. For those on a dial-up connection, most e-commerce sites have the ability to burn your purchase to CD-ROM. Some charge a fee; some others do not. We will be publishing a list of all e-commerce partners carrying the product, when the links go live.

There are currently NO plans to release a boxed retail version of UCG or UCAWA.

UCAWA is expected to be available in June.

UCG is also expected to be available in June; with July being the worse case scenario.
View : : :
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

No subject
May 30, 2005, 02:32
Prez

No subject May 30, 2005, 02:32
May 30, 2005, 02:32
 Prez

if you grew up playing PC games in the 80's and 90's - you will enjoy this game... it harkens back to a day when people tried to push the boundaries of gaming and often suffered for their ambition

if you dont have the technical aptitude or patience to deal with games like this, definately skip it

You know what's funny SC? This is YOUR post and it reads makes almost the exact same point about a different game that I have been making about BC/UC. I did not find it insulting at all.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: No subject
May 30, 2005, 02:02
Prez

Re: No subject May 30, 2005, 02:02
May 30, 2005, 02:02
 Prez

apparently you think that your brainpower is so immense that while you condemn your butt buddy Hellbinder for insulting people, you turn around and do the same exact thing - perhaps assuming your awesome intelligence will hide your obvious jibe

then again maybe your brain power isnt as immense as you thought, and you are just talking straight out of your ass

When in god's name did I claim to have "immense brainpower"? When did I insinuate that you were not intelligent enough to play the game? All I meant was that you had to USE some brainpower to play the game. Whether you want to or not is what determines if this game is for you or not. Is it so goddammed hard to be civil in this forum? I have never once insulted anyone in any of my posts. Read my post history - or don't. I don't care.

This comment was edited on May 30, 02:03.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Fuck-Tards
May 29, 2005, 20:19
Fuck-Tards May 29, 2005, 20:19
May 29, 2005, 20:19

Well looks like Derek and the Fuck-Tards show up for some
"but the games not that bad" speeches Christ the game sucked every one of them was and still is a GIANT PEICE OF CRAP.
Remember dreamcatcher dropping the price to 20.00 before UC
was even released and Derek’s little I am going broke fit all over the web?
Gee I wonder why dreamcatcher did that. Because they new it was a piece of CRAP and we all no what UC stands for Universal-Crap.

Bone43

Re: Flat textures
May 29, 2005, 17:48
Re: Flat textures May 29, 2005, 17:48
May 29, 2005, 17:48

Most cities are rendered as flat textures in Dangerous Waters.
That doesn't prevent this game to be one of the best ever made for the PC platform - in my opinion, of course.

May 29, 2005, 16:08
Re: No subject May 29, 2005, 16:08
May 29, 2005, 16:08

Actually I said it for two reasons, one of which is that while I too have walked through buildings in the game, I just made a mental note of it and continued to play. It's not a game breaker. Also it was a bit of a joke, lighten up.

It's a shame your experience with the game was so bad, I had rough start with it myself. But once I got the hang of it, I could play it seamlessly for hours doing all of those things you can do with little effort. It was a huge payoff.

No subject
May 29, 2005, 15:53
No subject May 29, 2005, 15:53
May 29, 2005, 15:53

"""C: How many times in real life do you attempt to walk through a building to see if it's solid? (maybe that's your problem)"""

is this supposed to be some kind of argument for having 3d objects with no solidity in your game??

i guess it shouldnt be surprising that someone with this kind of mentality plays a DS game - damn im sure its par for the course

No subject
May 29, 2005, 15:50
No subject May 29, 2005, 15:50
May 29, 2005, 15:50

i played BC millenium - it was a peice of shit... I had my fill

sure there is tons of shit to do, but its all executed SO FUCKING POORLY that its really less fun than actual menial labor

and if I want shit graphics, I'll go play Wasteland.... at the game behind it is really fun to play

its pretty obvious that rational arguments arent going to work on you fanboys - im done outlining the reasoning behind my opinion

May 29, 2005, 15:41
Re: No subject May 29, 2005, 15:41
May 29, 2005, 15:41

Space Captain,

I've heard the complaint about buildings you can walk through and I never understood the issue.

A: There are buildings you can stand on, I've done it.

B: I think it's a random thing.

C: How many times in real life do you attempt to walk through a building to see if it's solid? (maybe that's your problem)

All I can say about 3000AD games is you have to stick with it, I did and I've been rewarded with the deepest gaming experience ever (and I've been around since the original days of pong.) Actually "game" is the wrong term, it really is a sim which might also be why fans of twitch style space sims don't like it.

Oh well, to each his own.

Derek, is that you again??
-------------------------------
I smell a revolution.

May 29, 2005, 15:29
Re: No subject May 29, 2005, 15:29
May 29, 2005, 15:29

Space Captain,

I've heard the complaint about buildings you can walk through and I never understood the issue.

A: There are buildings you can stand on, I've done it.

B: I think it's a random thing.

C: How many times in real life do you attempt to walk through a building to see if it's solid? (maybe that's your problem)

All I can say about 3000AD games is you have to stick with it, I did and I've been rewarded with the deepest gaming experience ever (and I've been around since the original days of pong.) Actually "game" is the wrong term, it really is a sim which might also be why fans of twitch style space sims don't like it.

Oh well, to each his own.

Oh no, NOT the EULA !!!
May 29, 2005, 15:27
Oh no, NOT the EULA !!! May 29, 2005, 15:27
May 29, 2005, 15:27

Coming from the flight sim community, I played the Universal Combat and for a $20 game(after the learning curve) it had some value. More content than Varmint Hunter!
But it had no real community, no genuine upgrades rather than patches, an troublesome interface that was never re-worked, no one was allowed in with skins or mods, and a gotcha type of game-play with a fragile sense to it all.
The comparison to Oleg Maddox of IL2 fame shows what meager capabilities Derek Smart has and what little generosity.

No subject
May 29, 2005, 15:11
No subject May 29, 2005, 15:11
May 29, 2005, 15:11

Just adding to my post count
Doin' it Big

No subject
May 29, 2005, 13:33
No subject May 29, 2005, 13:33
May 29, 2005, 13:33

its not a game - its a chore ... and not a fun one

if you want to use your brain, go invent your own game.. create something yourself... or read a good book

if you consider DS' games as "acceptable" there are plenty of points to be argued that are "unacceptable" to most people - cities that arent just flat textures is one, buildings you can walk through as if they didnt exist is another - but the list goes on and on and on

apparently you think that your brainpower is so immense that while you condemn your butt buddy Hellbinder for insulting people, you turn around and do the same exact thing - perhaps assuming your awesome intelligence will hide your obvious jibe

wrong.

then again maybe your brain power isnt as immense as you thought, and you are just talking straight out of your ass

My take on BC
May 29, 2005, 10:29
Prez

My take on BC May 29, 2005, 10:29
May 29, 2005, 10:29
 Prez

Hellbinder, I agree with most of what you say, but you really have to stop throwing insults around. How is that going to accomplish anything?

Imho, the BC games are a far more cerebral experience than most games. (NOTE - This does NOT mean you are stupid if you can't figure them out or don't like them.) Essentially, you have to know going in that there will be a learning curve roughly the shape of the Matterhorn AND have to stick with it for a LONG time before things start to make sense and the experience begins to gel. This is why they call it a niche game. Like flight sims, wargames, and even chess, a sufficient amount of desire to learn, a willingness to take a long time to learn all the moves, controls, whatever, and yes, a little bit of intelligence are required to truly enjoy the BC games. Some people would rather disconnect their brains rather than turn them to overdrive to play a game; that's cool, but that means the BC games are not for you.

This comment was edited on May 29, 10:30.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: no publishers
May 29, 2005, 09:13
Re: no publishers May 29, 2005, 09:13
May 29, 2005, 09:13

Hellbinder

You forgot to include in your sig that you are the Captain of the USS ANALRAPE in the Derek Smart Official Online Battlecruiser Armada

And by the way, Derek Smart you have been OWNED by this post:

there is NO rebuttal:

"Universal Combat is the same as Battlecruiser Millenium which is the same as Battlecruiser 3000AD. The guy's been making space games for over 10 fucking years - wouldn't you think by now he could produce a game that gets more than 2 out of 10 rating in any review?
Oh but his games are "niche games written for his fanbase and they are just too complex for little wankers like me to understand". Sorry but I don't feel like reading through a poorly written manual, a VCF, readmes, PDF's, patch notes, and 50,000 forum posts in order to get a game of his to work. I don't feel like getting banned for asking a wrong question. I don't feel like syncing the AOL shields with the PHP levels to power up the LSD engines while also setting the WWE radar up to AMD range so I can fire the GHB. OK?

The only thing I respect the guy for is that he has the balls to build his games his way, and he does seem to care about his (few) fans. The games are ambitious. ... but are they fun to play for more than a handful of hardcore Trekkies?

I could understand an elitist attitude from a person who created a million-copy blockbuster. I don't understand an elitist attitude from a so-called 'indie' developer with a track record of pissing off both fans and publishers, while promising more than he tends to deliver in his games.

Best quote I've ever heard: "If I fed my dog a set of Scrabble tiles he could have crapped a better manual" - http://games.channel.aol.com/review.adp?gameID=1946

I guess I'm just not a "space-sim type". And yes, I have played BCM and demos of his other crap"

This comment was edited on May 29, 09:17.

May 29, 2005, 06:37
Re: no publishers May 29, 2005, 06:37
May 29, 2005, 06:37

Hellbinder could you do us all a favour and sort your signature out. I doubt anybody cares and the formatting doesn't work and is annoying.

Cheers.

May 29, 2005, 05:04
Duc
Re: no publishers May 29, 2005, 05:04
May 29, 2005, 05:04
Duc

Actually I think the biggest problem with the BC/UC games is the interface, which always felt overly complex and buggy to me. Possibly Derek needs to read some books on design philosophy - "The Design of Everyday Things" is an excellent start.

May 29, 2005, 03:33
PHJF

Re: no publishers May 29, 2005, 03:33
May 29, 2005, 03:33
 PHJF

No way, what sums up Battlecruise is...

In the process, he forgot that the most important object of creating a game is making it fun.

I can understand that fun nearly completely a relative term, but almost anyone would express even minor discomfort at, say, having their intestines pulled out of their throat.
3000AD stuff is on par with such.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

May 29, 2005, 03:17
Re: no publishers May 29, 2005, 03:17
May 29, 2005, 03:17

Its not the greatest game in the world but it sure as hell is a lot better than you people make it out to be. Especially for a bunch of mouthly brats who have never spent any time with the actual game.

Universal Combat is the same as Battlecruiser Millenium which is the same as Battlecruiser 3000AD. The guy's been making space games for over 10 fucking years - wouldn't you think by now he could produce a game that gets more than 2 out of 10 rating in any review?
Oh but his games are "niche games written for his fanbase and they are just too complex for little wankers like me to understand". Sorry but I don't feel like reading through a poorly written manual, a VCF, readmes, PDF's, patch notes, and 50,000 forum posts in order to get a game of his to work. I don't feel like getting banned for asking a wrong question. I don't feel like syncing the AOL shields with the PHP levels to power up the LSD engines while also setting the WWE radar up to AMD range so I can fire the GHB. OK?

The only thing I respect the guy for is that he has the balls to build his games his way, and he does seem to care about his (few) fans. The games are ambitious. ... but are they fun to play for more than a handful of hardcore Trekkies?

I could understand an elitist attitude from a person who created a million-copy blockbuster. I don't understand an elitist attitude from a so-called 'indie' developer with a track record of pissing off both fans and publishers, while promising more than he tends to deliver in his games.

Best quote I've ever heard: "If I fed my dog a set of Scrabble tiles he could have crapped a better manual" - http://games.channel.aol.com/review.adp?gameID=1946

I guess I'm just not a "space-sim type". And yes, I have played BCM and demos of his other crap.

---------------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
May 29, 2005, 02:42
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO May 29, 2005, 02:42
May 29, 2005, 02:42

Make it stop!!1

Creston

May 29, 2005, 02:19
PHJF

Re: No subject May 29, 2005, 02:19
May 29, 2005, 02:19
 PHJF

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________^^

Does not like Derek Smart games but does like space combat games in general

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
This comment was edited on May 29, 02:20.
Steam + PSN: PHJF
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older