Out of the Blue

Well today is the conclusion of E3... annually there are various stages of joy and sorrow for me over not attending. The low point is probably the last couple of weeks before the show when the invitations roll in to see the most anticipated upcoming games in person. The high point, however, would be today, when I recall how hard it is to escape from L.A. (apologies to John Carpenter). It's hard enough crowding onto all the overbooked flights out of LAX, but it can be impossible catching one of L.A.'s 17 taxi cabs, all of which have to operate 24/7 during this temporary influx of out-of-towners.

Right Toto? There's no place like home.

To Link and die in L.A.! Thanks Mike Martinez, Ant, and EvilToast
Play Time: Star Wars Trivia on MSNBC.
Salta Col.
Links of the Day: Kittenwar.
Stories of the Day: Town's secret Star Wars history.
'Star Wars' Grosses $16.5M in Midnight Run.
US says no billboards in space.
Science! Behind the wheel: nobody.
Is This the End for Cellulite? Some Doctors Say, 'Fat Chance' (registration required).
Patient gets heart 'turbocharger'.
Images of the Day: Where are those transmissions you intercepted?
Jar Jar Binks Well Hung.
Something Awful's Definitive Movies.
Media of the Day: How to dance like a white guy.
Auctions of the Day: Crazy eBay mom. Thanks Compfused.
Follow-ups: Warming Is Blamed for Antarctica's Weight Gain (registration required).
Sumatra Quake Shook Earth's Total Surface.
View : : :
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Less than stellar...
May 26, 2005, 06:46
Re: Less than stellar... May 26, 2005, 06:46
May 26, 2005, 06:46

My theory: I think Halsy posted drunk. There was this incident, and last weekends over driving drunk...
Agreed. Or on crack

May 24, 2005, 09:15
nin

Re: Less than stellar... May 24, 2005, 09:15
May 24, 2005, 09:15
 nin

My theory: I think Halsy posted drunk. There was this incident, and last weekends over driving drunk...

If you look at your reflection, is that all you want to be? http://www.nin.com

May 24, 2005, 00:31
WarPig

Re: Less than stellar... May 24, 2005, 00:31
May 24, 2005, 00:31
 WarPig

your E3 coverage has been very shoddy to say the least this year, Blue.

Ok Halsy - shoddy how? Don't just use a vague word like "shoddy" without some examples and/or suggestions. What exactly are you looking for?

If you're getting tired of this no one would blame you but at least sell it/turn it over to someone new who still is passionate about gaming.

Again - what exactly are you talking about? Are you expecting Blue to editorialize about all, or even some, of the articles he brings to this site?

I was going to make a crack about how you ran out of politics-oriented posts to instigate about, but that's not fair.

Isn't it?

-------------------------------------------------------
"We're innocent critters squashed on the highway of life!"

GO SEAHAWKS!

May 23, 2005, 18:20
Re: Less than stellar... May 23, 2005, 18:20
May 23, 2005, 18:20

I'm also late and not that much of a regular, anyway, but here's my take: I don't know if the E3 coverage was good or not because I really didn't care what went on on this years E3. I swept right over the E3 posts - those things that matter will be reported another 10 times before they see the light of day, anyway. Everything else about the site is all good, although now that I think of it it could use a redesign.

May 23, 2005, 15:42
Re: Less than stellar... May 23, 2005, 15:42
May 23, 2005, 15:42

This thread slipped past me since it was added to after the day was over. nin's reference to it brought it to my attention.

I just wanted to say that I agree with Warhawk.

Though I'd point out that he only thinks they don't track those things... que paranoid music

May 22, 2005, 00:55
Re: Less than stellar... May 22, 2005, 00:55
May 22, 2005, 00:55

Yeah, what everyone but Halsy said. I don't think any elaboration is necessary - love the site, one of the few I visit daily (more like hourly - glad work doesn't track these things)....

*** Warhawk ***

Relax, I'll finish your new body. Mom always said I should make new friends.

Oh, ha ha ha.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

May 21, 2005, 15:39
Re: Less than stellar... May 21, 2005, 15:39
May 21, 2005, 15:39

I just want to say some words in support of Blue's News.

I've been reading this web site ever since the dawn of Quake 1, and I love it. It's beena great online gaming resource for me. It's the one place (Together with Shacknews) that I know I get my gaming news on a simple frontpage, and it has always been like that. PS. The 'out of the blue' is great too.

I've been happy with your coverage of E3 this year, as I've always been with your previous years. It's nice to have someone sort out all the news, so your time is very much appreciated.

I would like to pay you money, so I could view your website without advertisement. That's my only burden.

So, for 10 more years of Blue's News I hope.

May 21, 2005, 15:16
Re: Less than stellar... May 21, 2005, 15:16
May 21, 2005, 15:16

Yes I'm not exactly sure in what respect it has been shoddy. It reports the previews, screenshots, announcements and so on as it always does, there's just more of them.

I come here for the news and the community, and neither of these things have suffered recently.

I have no shame in sounding fanboyish - it's one of the few sites I regularly visit and this is the only way I can express my gratitude in the absence of donations and so on. But I echo nin's sentiments, I don't want to see anyone lose their home to keep it going.

May 21, 2005, 13:53
nin

Re: Less than stellar... May 21, 2005, 13:53
May 21, 2005, 13:53
 nin

I don't know how to respond to that... I put a good deal of effort into trying to keep up with the incredible flood of info from the show and organize it (this is the reason I don't attend the show.). It's pretty challenging, and I am pleased with how I did.

1, I don't know if H's line was meant as a jab, but I was kinda shocked to read that. 2, I think you've handled it the same way you have earlier years. Has the internet changed, allowing certain mega-sites to dominate? Absolutely. But that's business. And like it or not, business is apart of our gaming, and it's here to stay. For every 1 dev who's in it for the love of the game, there's 5+ publishers looking for a quick buck (and as the saying goes, it only takes one bad apple to make either side look less than appealing).

If you're getting tired of this no one would blame you but at least sell it/turn it over to someone new who still is passionate about gaming.
That's a fascinating take on this... I just declined an offer to sell the site, among other things, for the opposite reason. Because I do have a passion for gaming, and I had a hard time living with where I imagined things would go here from that point onward. If I suspected that yours was a common sentiment, I would have approached that differently.

Actually, if I thought yours was a common sentiment, I don't know what I'd do, but I'd certainly have to re-think some of the choices I've made. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm making an elaborate response here... I'm very interested in other folks' takes on your sentiments. Occasionally I grow concerned that putting so much emphasis on newspaper-style organization over blog-like immediacy has created the mistaken impression that how this site is organized requires less effort than others', rather than more.

WOW. I can't imagine this site being run w/o you, Blue. I'm rather stunned at that one. As far as blogs go, I think they're a bit of a fad, right now. They're here to stay, sure, but right now everyone wants one, including me. I guess it's kinda like open mic night, at a comedy club - everyone would like to think that, if the spotlight was shown on them, they could entertain and captivate the audience. (I think blogs are kinda an ego thing. And saying that, I mean no offense to anyone here that has one. I read Bronco's and Bunko's blogs both, and I enjoy them.)

Between your blurbs about the pooches and Deadwood, et al., it makes me really wonder if you still game at all, man.
The intentionally off-topic nature of OotB has been discussed at length on numerous occasions. You can love it or hate it, but it's been that way forever, so I can't see how you can use its recent tone to theorize that it represents a recent change in focus.

The fact of the matter is, people change. And with that, your priorities change, too. There's not much you can do about it, as I think it's inevitable. The one thing I think you can do is keep trying to keep yourself happy. Blue, you're in a unique situation where (I'm guessing) this web site is not only something you like, but at least helps keep your head above the waves, financially. I'd LOVE to be in a situation like yours, and to do something I REALLY love 40+ hours a week, but I'm not. And I think that's something a lot of people long for, and don't get.

I know I game a lot less then I did all those years ago and that's cool. The site, however, seems to be slowly declining in that respect, and if I were in your shoes I'd look on capitalizing on it before I drove it into the ground.
Amid arguing these points, I'd like to thank you for sharing them... I was going to make a crack about how you ran out of politics-oriented posts to instigate about, but that's not fair. It hurts to be criticized, but as I say, if there are others who feel as you do, I should find that out.

To follow up on the previous, and to slightly echo H's comments, I'd never want you to get to the point where this site ran you out of money. It's wonderful, we all love it, but if it ever came to lack of funds, I expect you to pull the plug BEFORE you lose your shirt. (I'm not saying you're in any kind of trouble here, but I think you'll agree that you're one of the few web survivors from the .com bubble.) I worked at a .com for awhile, and we finally had to throw the towel in. The boss I had actually tried to place another mortgage on his house and use it as collateral, to help save the business, and it made me sick to my stomach just thinking about that. The idea that someone would throw the roof over their head into the betting pile, while extremely brave of him, just didn't seem right. It was too much, I felt like. And while we all love this place, I think I speak for a lot of us when I say we value your wellbeing as a person and friend a lot more than this site.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, or if I sound like a fanboy. To summarize, the internet changed a lot in the last 10+ years, and if this site has changed because of it, it's because (I think) you've done the best with what you were given (source wise). You've got to do what's right for you. And either way, we'll understand.

This comment was edited on May 21, 13:57.

May 21, 2005, 10:29
Enahs

Re: Less than stellar... May 21, 2005, 10:29
May 21, 2005, 10:29
 Enahs

It's pretty challenging, and I am pleased with how I did.

I have to agree, and in fact this is why I like your site so much. You get the info and you deliver it. Simple sweet, I can read what I want; I do not have to spend my time trying to find info about games I like.

It seems to me Halsy is expecting everything to say Straight from E3! E3 this, and now from E3! As in the “It came from E3, part #” sections.

I would however point his attention to the 82 previews you posted in just today’s news….almost all that is from E3.

The hardware section while sometimes large, now that E3 is around also seems slightly larger than average. And the fact that you have been doing morning and night “consolidation” and “mobilization”, sometimes you would, but every day for E3 you have, and again these are all pretty much from E3…and way larger than normal. Maybe if you pointed a sign that says from E3 it would help.

Also would like to point out that all the really big announcements and news (quite a bit of them) takes place before E3, while there is not such a huge flood of information so stuff does not get lost.

but as I say, if there are others who feel as you do, I should find that out.

I am not trying to be a suck up in anyway, we all know I like to point out when Blue makes a mistake and laugh at him about it.
How he runs the site, and other things brought up by Halsy are not any of them however.

Personally, I play games everyday.

You should start playing Wolf:ET so I can have some more biatches to OWN!

I could not help but turn this serious post into how much I am looking forward to Enemy Territory: Quake Wars!!! Must play Wolf: Enemy Territory in anticipation!

When I say your dumb name please stand up briefly, but then quickly drop to your knees and forsake all others before me.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

May 21, 2005, 09:50
Re: Less than stellar... May 21, 2005, 09:50
May 21, 2005, 09:50

I had written a long post, actually... but fuck it... I'm just gonna say that E3, like all trade shows, is a big, long commercial, and filtering the news out from the shit-blizzard must be hard work. I think you're doing pretty well. Also, I like the 'off-topic' (as if the proprietor's life could ever be 'off-topic') nature of the OOTB. Ack! What do I know...

May 21, 2005, 09:04
Re: Less than stellar... May 21, 2005, 09:04
May 21, 2005, 09:04

I don't know how to respond to that... I put a good deal of effort into trying to keep up with the incredible flood of info from the show and organize it (this is the reason I don't attend the show.). It's pretty challenging, and I am pleased with how I did.

That's a fascinating take on this... I just declined an offer to sell the site, among other things, for the opposite reason. Because I do have a passion for gaming, and I had a hard time living with where I imagined things would go here from that point onward. If I suspected that yours was a common sentiment, I would have approached that differently.

Actually, if I thought yours was a common sentiment, I don't know what I'd do, but I'd certainly have to re-think some of the choices I've made. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm making an elaborate response here... I'm very interested in other folks' takes on your sentiments. Occasionally I grow concerned that putting so much emphasis on newspaper-style organization over blog-like immediacy has created the mistaken impression that how this site is organized requires less effort than others', rather than more.

Between your blurbs about the pooches and Deadwood, et al., it makes me really wonder if you still game at all, man.

The intentionally off-topic nature of OotB has been discussed at length on numerous occasions. You can love it or hate it, but it's been that way forever, so I can't see how you can use its recent tone to theorize that it represents a recent change in focus.

I know I game a lot less then I did all those years ago and that's cool. The site, however, seems to be slowly declining in that respect, and if I were in your shoes I'd look on capitalizing on it before I drove it into the ground.

Amid arguing these points, I'd like to thank you for sharing them... I was going to make a crack about how you ran out of politics-oriented posts to instigate about, but that's not fair. It hurts to be criticized, but as I say, if there are others who feel as you do, I should find that out.

Are you still a real gamer or not is the question you need to ask yourself. No shame in it if you're not.

Personally, I play games everyday. One of the reasons I do news and not reviews is I want my gaming to stay fun, and can't imagine trying to play every game that comes out. So the lack of variety in my gaming makes it no more newsworthy than my favorite TV shows. Or even less-so... I play more Half-Life 2 DM than I watch Deadwood, but while Deadwood gets better every week, in HL2DM I still keep getting crushed by toilets.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

May 21, 2005, 04:41
Re: Less than stellar... May 21, 2005, 04:41
May 21, 2005, 04:41

There is a popup on this site that gets through Firefox and Adblock, for Yahoo UK Personals, suggesting it's a local advert. It doesn't sing or dance and it doesn't particularly annoy me, so asking for it to be removed is like asking for Blue to take a pay cut. But it's a bit wierd that it's the only one that gets through. It pops up when I click a link on the site.

And no, it's not spyware. It's only Blue's that does it and it's only this advert.

I was just wondering if any of my UK bretheren suffer from the same 0.5 seconds it takes to click close.

Less than stellar...
May 21, 2005, 02:45
Less than stellar... May 21, 2005, 02:45
May 21, 2005, 02:45

your E3 coverage has been very shoddy to say the least this year, Blue. If you're getting tired of this no one would blame you but at least sell it/turn it over to someone new who still is passionate about gaming. Between your blurbs about the pooches and Deadwood, et al., it makes me really wonder if you still game at all, man.

Are you still a real gamer or not is the question you need to ask yourself. No shame in it if you're not.

"....and goddamit tuck up those pajamas!"
- Neidermeyer
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Re: Guild Wars
May 20, 2005, 23:38
nin

Re: Guild Wars May 20, 2005, 23:38
May 20, 2005, 23:38
 nin

Edit: nin you're character already looks like a dork

Mission accomplished, then! I'm a ranger for god's sake, and there's no damn forest. OF COURSE I LOOK LIKE A DORK!

Re: Oh man...
May 20, 2005, 23:14
Jim
Re: Oh man... May 20, 2005, 23:14
May 20, 2005, 23:14
Jim

Exactly, although there is an agreement on how high your "airspace" extends, I believe. Don't know what it is, though. You'd think it'd be a number that politicians can count to, ie 2, but it's gotta be higher than that.

I think its around 60k (FL600) Until 2004, only the military, NASA, and the occasional rocket hobbiest could send anything past that.

This comment was edited on May 20, 23:14.
Jim

May 20, 2005, 23:07
Re: Guild Wars May 20, 2005, 23:07
May 20, 2005, 23:07

In other news, I finally stopped shaking for what was, coincidentally, the same 3 hour period

OOoooooohhh, cold turkey!

Creston

May 20, 2005, 22:09
Re: Guild Wars May 20, 2005, 22:09
May 20, 2005, 22:09

Bah, had nothing good to do tonight so I figured I'd play GW....except for the fact that my cable went down for 3 hours (first time in at least 6 months). Figures. In other news, I finally stopped shaking for what was, coincidentally, the same 3 hour period.

You then have the option to buy a cape. The cape is a one off payment of 1000 gold and everyone gets a cape from that point on.

I'll even chip in for capes, if for no other reason than to try and dorkify my bad-ass ranger for nin's sake.

Off to find some plant fibers to craft a bolt of linen so I can craft my Archer's Mask, and then still not have enough in marksmanship to use the bow I found.

---
"Pain, or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back." -Al Swearengen

May 20, 2005, 19:48
Re: Guild Wars May 20, 2005, 19:48
May 20, 2005, 19:48

Just looking at the guild system and stuff.

pay 100 gold to that dude at in the training area (i cant seem to find anyone anywhere afterwards that registers guilds) and you register the guild name

You then have the option to buy a cape. The cape is a one off payment of 1000 gold and everyone gets a cape from that point on.

You can also buy a guild hall. Supposedly you can get these guild sigil thingies and they only appear after you finish the tournament in the Tombs (i have no idea where that is or anything) or you can buy one for about 2k gold.

Got all this handy info from their webby.

Edit: nin you're character already looks like a dork

This comment was edited on May 20, 19:52.

May 20, 2005, 19:29
nin

Re: Guild Wars May 20, 2005, 19:29
May 20, 2005, 19:29
 nin

That was me. Capes are nice and all, but I prefer the look of the character with the armor....after all, this isn't CoH.

I have to agree...think my character would look like a dork w/ one...

More than normal, I mean...

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older