3000AD vs. DC Rd 2

3000AD announces the completion of development of Universal Combat: A World Apart, another dispute with publisher DreamCatcher, and plans for future products Universal Combat Gold; Universal Combat Online; and Battlecruiser Next Gen (working title). They say the clash ends their relationship with DreamCatcher, a partnership that had already suffered through a prior dispute (story) that was eventually settled (story). Going back further, rights to the original Battlecruiser 3000 A.D. reverted to the developer after a dispute with original publisher Take-Two over the game's premature release. The blurbs on their upcoming projects do not include mention of Universal Combat: Hostile Intent (story), a project that was delayed when Universal Combat: Hold the Line was cancelled (story). Update: Derek Smart clarified with a post in the forums here that the work done on Hostile Intent is now part of the Universal Combat Online project mentioned below. Here's word on UC: A World Apart going gold for digital distribution, their gripe with DreamCatcher, and the hunt for a new publisher for the retail boxed version:
In other news, while Universal Combat - A World Apart, the eagerly awaited sequel to the original 2004 game, went Gold on 04-15-05 for release this May, several issues with the publisher (Dreamcatcher) have not only held up the boxed retail release of that title, but also led to the termination of the agreement. As a result, Dreamcatcher no longer has those rights as they have now reverted back to 3000AD Inc. We are in the process of negotiating with other interested parties for the boxed retail rights to this product.

We also recently terminated the Battlecruiser Millennium Gold and Universal Combat agreement which we also had with this publisher. Those rights have also now reverted back to 3000AD Inc and a cease & desist has been issued to Dreamcatcher, advising them to stop any further production and marketing of these two games or face legal action under the DMCA and other copyright infringement laws.

This issue with Dreamcatcher does not affect the e-commerce download version of UCAWA, which we expect to have available within the coming weeks once all the server side preparations have been completed and tested with our e-commerce partners (e.g. Trymedia, BMT Micro and others) who will be carrying the product.
And here are the game announcements:
Universal Combat Gold
Universal Combat Gold (UCG) is a stand-alone follow up title to the original Universal Combat game released in February 2004. It contains the full original game plus several enhancements, updates and features. Both the retail and e-commerce download version will be priced at $19.99. Estimated release date is Q3/05 (July).

Universal Combat Online
Universal Combat Online (UCO) is our massively multi player online game. Based on a vastly improved version of the Universal Combat - A World Apart engines, it contains a plethora of new advanced technologies and content to make it the ultimate futuristic battleground with our pioneered vast seamless space and planetary worlds. Both the retail and e-commerce download version will be priced at $29.99. The monthly fee will be announced at a later date. Estimated release date is Q3/06 (Sept).

Battlecruiser Next Gen (working title)
The eagerly anticipated next generation incarnation of the one that started it all, is on the Way. Using the Reality Engine, Battlecruiser Next Gen (BCNG) is designed from the ground up to give a total immersion experience. A completely seamless first person, space and planetary environment provides the most immersive sci-fi game ever developed. Pricing information will be announced at a later date. Estimated release date is Q4/07 (Nov).
View : : :
108 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: 101'd
May 22, 2005, 14:11
PHJF

Re: 101'd May 22, 2005, 14:11
May 22, 2005, 14:11
 PHJF

Personally, I wouldn't even post on in a forum where I was so universally reviled. What the hell is it going to accomplish?

Exactly, but he keeps coming back thus proving he is a complete nonsensical moron!

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

May 22, 2005, 13:26
Re: 101'd May 22, 2005, 13:26
May 22, 2005, 13:26

I wonder, does he still claim to be a PhD?

He went on and on about being a PhD back in 1997; he was really adamant about it! Post after post contains his claims about 1) his dissertation being published and listed and 2) how he had a PhD from an accredited university. There are literally pages upon pages of his rants on this topic. To read only Smart's side of things would lead you to believe that he was a victim, totally bewildered about his having to defend himself.

Now that the cat has fully emerged from the bag (and has been for a number of years), what does he have to say about his prior claims? If it were me, I'd never visit a forum again, I'd be so ashamed. It's astonishing!

And I agree that this stuff has nothing to do with the games. That doesn't mean these questions shouldn't be asked.

Re: Smart posts are fun, but....
May 22, 2005, 06:55
Prez

Re: Smart posts are fun, but.... May 22, 2005, 06:55
May 22, 2005, 06:55
 Prez

I don't know about impersonal. There is a person sitting behind every keyboard. And it's YOUR name they drag through the mud time and time again. (YOURS as in when you happen to be the target of such scathing vitriol)

As for Smart, I tend to think he might actually enjoy the back-and-forth, but I don't know him so I can't say. He might feel the flames and flamers are meaningless, but still might be unable to not respond. Personally, I wouldn't even post on in a forum where I was so universally reviled. What the hell is it going to accomplish?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 22, 2005, 03:19
PHJF

Re: Smart posts are fun, but.... May 22, 2005, 03:19
May 22, 2005, 03:19
 PHJF

BTW, My roomate is convinced that if you say "Derek Smart sucks" three times in front of a mirror, he'll appear.

OOhhhhh, who is man enough to try that one out. Make sure you have a gun locked and loaded, preferably incendiary rounds as undead are weak to fire damage.

Anyways, prez...
"personal attacks"
This is the fucking internet, you can't get anymore impersonal.
Derek Smart himself said to those he flames that they are meaningless, anonymous beings with no measureable value in his life. Yet, after all that, he continues to flame them. He may as well be slamming his head into a 2x4.
Look, if the man (term used loosely) is too vacuous to understand that, he's beyond all redemption.

And you must understand that this late in the game summoning procedures are followed because his *visits* are so pathetic as to be risible. Nobody really cares what the guy says or does anymore, and the good people of BluesNew's merely exploit his apparent lack of comprehension of said fact for a little diversion.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

May 20, 2005, 16:05
Re: Smart posts are fun, but.... May 20, 2005, 16:05
May 20, 2005, 16:05

Funny thing about turning the corner. If you're always taking a left turn, you'll eventually end up right back where you started. Never played a DS game, but this Forumcruiser 2005 demo looks entertaining.

May 20, 2005, 03:52
Re: Smart posts are fun, but.... May 20, 2005, 03:52
May 20, 2005, 03:52

Prez, don't waste your symapthy on the guy. There is no evidence that he's "turned a corner", unless you are talking about how far up his own arse he is.

May 20, 2005, 02:59
Re: 101'd May 20, 2005, 02:59
May 20, 2005, 02:59

It's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Derek Smart does not hold a legitimate PhD from an accredited university.

101'd
May 19, 2005, 23:01
Kxmode

101'd May 19, 2005, 23:01
May 19, 2005, 23:01
 Kxmode

I went through my list of games and low and behold I found a demo CD of BC3K Derek sent to me. Attached to the CD case is a shinny silvery business card with the exact text (word-for-word):

3000ad (navy color "futuristic" looking font)
Technology for The Future TM

Derek K. Smart, Ph. D.
President

1520 NW 125 Ave. 10-306, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33323
(954) 851-1405 - (212) 462-3099 - (954) 851-1407 Fax
Email DSmart@Pobox.com

So for all those that wondered about proof that Derek used the Ph.D. disclaimer I have the business card to prove it!
This comment was edited on May 19, 23:03.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Re: No subject
May 19, 2005, 21:29
Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 21:29
May 19, 2005, 21:29

We've reached the 100 post milestone! Yay!

Derek, you tell us that Dreamcatcher has a "history of pulling these very same stunts to others". Can you give us an example? Or do you insist on over complicating things to try and make yourself look Smart?

Smart posts are fun, but....
May 19, 2005, 20:18
Prez

Smart posts are fun, but.... May 19, 2005, 20:18
May 19, 2005, 20:18
 Prez

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I have to say that I enjoy the open-ended "Hey, I can go anywhere and do anything I want all in one game" feeling in the Battlecruiser/UC games. In a game design so ambitious, I am more inclined to tolerate bugs and technical issues. Sure, there are First-Person Shooters that work better than the FPS portion in BC/UC, space-flight games that work better than BC's space combat, etc. But taken as a whole, the BC/UC games end up being, for me, more than just a sum of their parts.

I remember reading (I think in PC Gamer, but I'm not positive) about Smart saying that he later came to understand Take 2's side of the argument back when the flame wars were burning bright about who was responsible for the mess that was BC 3000. In the same interview, he acknowledged that he had made enemies through his abrasiveness. (I'm paraphrasing, but I hope I am representing the main idea properly). He sounded a bit more mature than I remember him sounding in some of his posts and some of what I've read from his 'customer service' responses.

None of this excuses his past behavior, but I think Smart has turned a corner and has become a bit more of a responsible businessman and a bit less arrogant. As far as what he has posted in this thread and other threads on Blues, it's kind of hard to ding him for his attitude, what with all of the scathing personal attacks he endures. Whether or not these are attacks are deserved is a separate issue, but I certainly understand why he would post here and not exactly have much nice to say.

Anyway, I figured I'd just throw that out there. Please understand, I am NOT a Derek Smart apologist, or a member of the "Smart for President" club. But I have to admit, I sort of admire the guy for his resilience and durability, especially when he has made so many bitter enemies (some of whom have posted here). I also admire him for his vision and ambition in his game design, even if sometimes what is delivered falls short of what was promised.

Sorry for the long post. Oh, and be gentle. I am very sensitive to flaming!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 19, 2005, 19:18
Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 19:18
May 19, 2005, 19:18

Haha, just when the thread was dying..

"You lot are a disgrace to gaming and gamers the world over"

Actually if an honest poll were taken you would win that prize hands down, you turd.

May 19, 2005, 18:09
Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 18:09
May 19, 2005, 18:09

Derek will never do that. He is only capable of producing games that have the entertainment value of being repeatedly kicked in the balls. Now, if I was going to give constructive critisism to Mr. Smart, I would suggest he step down as a coder and work on the design end of things. He has some great ideas, but, he would be better off hiring people to execute them. Or he could simply stop Googling his name and entering flame wars and actually work on making a complete game.

BTW, My roomate is convinced that if you say "Derek Smart sucks" three times in front of a mirror, he'll appear.

May 19, 2005, 14:20
Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 14:20
May 19, 2005, 14:20

Wow, two DS replies in one DS thread, and they're separated by scores of posts. Impressive. Most impressive. (Ep3 is awesome, btw).

The biggest problem I have with Derek, from the game developer standpoint, is the great promises that never really come through. If the entire promised feature list ended up in the final game, and working to some acceptable level, I'd be on it in an instant, and would buy copies for all my friends. However, time after time, despite the most grandiose promises, it never comes through. There are occasional sparkles of brilliance, but it's not worth digging through two tons of fecal matter to find one bag of M&Ms.

Personally, I'm sticking with Mount & Blade...despite being a beta, it runs smoothly, the gameplay is enjoyable, and overall it's a great game. And, oddly enough, the current features parallel many of those promised for the BC games (albeit in a very different setting), and they work, and are loads and loads of fun. This from a husband-and-wife team working out of their home and selling the game in its current form for $10 a pop. Amazing how DS and his PhD and his financial backing and his talented team couldn't pull off the same thing on a much longer time frame.

Really, Derek, figure out a timeline for the next 2-3 years, and properly put out one game, that has all the features you've been promising and works without intense tweaking and patching. Prove all the trash-talkers wrong, and give the community something they can really enjoy, something you can be proud of as a pinnacle of achievement not just for a small dedicated niche of gamers, but as a milestone for gaming in general. Please.

May 19, 2005, 11:34
Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 11:34
May 19, 2005, 11:34

My God, could that formula that he used to describe his dispute with DreamCatcher be any more unnecessarily complicated?

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Founder of StateOfGaming.org
Commentary & Discussion About the Video Game Industry and Its Future
Coming Soon
Founder of The Only Good Hellbinder Is A Dead Hellbinder Club
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

May 19, 2005, 11:30
Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 11:30
May 19, 2005, 11:30

No arguments Creston, but sometimes, especially on these forums, there seems to be a fine line between "gamer"
and "jackal"...

Not that I am accusing anyone in particular, just making an observation.

True. DS seems to think nobody here is a gamer, however.
I've never denied his status as a game developer. After all, that's what he does. The fact that his games stink and his attitude stinks even worse is a different matter altogether.

Creston

May 19, 2005, 10:52
Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 10:52
May 19, 2005, 10:52

Derek Smart: as brilliant an economist as he is a game designer.

May 19, 2005, 10:50
Prez

Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 10:50
May 19, 2005, 10:50
 Prez

The definition of being a gamer is that you play games.

No arguments Creston, but sometimes, especially on these forums, there seems to be a fine line between "gamer"
and "jackal"...

Not that I am accusing anyone in particular, just making an observation.

- Mahatma Gandhi

May 19, 2005, 10:07
Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 10:07
May 19, 2005, 10:07

You lot are a disgrace to gaming and gamers the world over; and should never - ever - call yourselves gamers.

Dear pimple faced retard,

Quite a few of us here have been playing games since their inception. In fact, I think I still HAVE my little Pong console in a box somewhere.
The definition of being a gamer is that you play games. Nowhere does it state that you HAVE to play games "By Derek Smart" to be a gamer. If you cannot understand this, you're even more fucking stupid than your pet monkey Hellbinder.

And flame, abuse and libel them without rhyme or reason

Especially AFTER they buy your shitty products and ask for help in getting it to run on your own 'tech support' forum, right? YOU are a disgrace to game developers, and I'm pretty sure that most of them wish you would just go away quietly and die somewhere.

Don't hurry back,

Creston

Re: Yahoo!
May 19, 2005, 09:58
Re: Yahoo! May 19, 2005, 09:58
May 19, 2005, 09:58

My first Derek Smart thread!!!

Your life will never be the same again.

Btw, Hellbinder, we need to work on your appearance. It took you about 30 posts before you finally rammed your tongue up Derek's ass. That's way too slow.

How about you talk to Derek and make sure that the next time we type DEREK SMART three times in a row, you appear as well? This saves us from being deprived from your intelligence, wit and people skills for that long.

Creston

May 19, 2005, 09:32
nin
Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 09:32
May 19, 2005, 09:32
nin

In typical fashion, this will be my final post in this thread.

Promises, promises. And Hellbinder said that too, I believe...

If you look at your reflection, is that all you want to be? http://www.nin.com
108 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older