Out of the Blue

The fence guys are here today finishing off the repairs to our backyard, returning our little doggie penitentiary to maximum security status. This could not be more timely, as we discovered over the weekend that intrepid little Gunnar had found a spot to squirm out conveniently hidden by our garage. He was ratted out by our neighbors, and when they explained what he was doing, it became clear why on occasions when called it would take an unusually long time to appear from that area. The troubling aspect of all this is that he is not yet fixed (A.K.A. broken), so his being able to leave according to his whims was terribly irresponsible, and it's not out of the question that a neighbor will show up at our door one day asking if we know anything about some half-poodle pups their pet has mysteriously produced.

I am not a number. I am a Link! Thanks Mike Martinez, Ant, and EvilToast
Links of the Day: The Lions versus Midgets Saga. Thanks Loof.
LCD Cinematic Action.
Stories of the Day: Artists concerned tattoos losing nonconformist lure.
Science! Couple Receive Grant to Develop Robots.
Unmanned Aircraft Clustered via Bluetooth.
Beer drinking curbed by prodigious weed.
Media of the Day: Spike TV @ E3 Machinima Gamer Gags.
Institute for Backup Trauma. Thanks Heretic.
SuperDuperSizeMe.
Teh Funnies: Dilbert.
Follow-up: School Boards Want to 'Teach the Controversy.' What Controversy (registration required).
Mars Rover Moves in Effort to Get Unstuck.
View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Launch Links
May 18, 2005, 18:09
Enahs

Re: Launch Links May 18, 2005, 18:09
May 18, 2005, 18:09
 Enahs

Um. Pardon my stupidness, but where is this option?

It is actually not in any menu.

At the URL type “about:config” and hit enter, without any quotes of course.

Now find the “Preference name” of browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick and then double click to change it from true to false.
And
middlemouse.openNewWindow is set to true.

It is a large list, so in the filter bar (right below url on that new ‘page’) just type “middle” and hit enter and it will narrow it down.

When I say your dumb name please stand up briefly, but then quickly drop to your knees and forsake all others before me.

This comment was edited on May 18, 18:34.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Launch Links
May 18, 2005, 12:46
Launch Links May 18, 2005, 12:46
May 18, 2005, 12:46

Just get FireFox and make the MiddleMouse click launch a new window, problem solved. I use to love Launch Links...now it is trival, everysite I want has Launch Links now!

Um. Pardon my stupidness, but where is this option?
---
Chris.

Re: No subject
May 18, 2005, 11:24
Re: No subject May 18, 2005, 11:24
May 18, 2005, 11:24

Why do Blue's pooches always want to escape? Is it that he's a cruel and vicious master and they seek to be free of his tyrannical ways, or they just really are free spirits?

Hudson's motivation for escaping is clearly to hunt.

Gunnar's motives are even easier to discern, until his castration, at least.

It's MrsBlue who's escape attempts are motivated by my cruelty.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Re: Help me!
May 18, 2005, 09:41
Re: Help me! May 18, 2005, 09:41
May 18, 2005, 09:41

This is straight up no data being sent/received it seems, but my cable modem still says it is connected and the logs show nothing odd.

4 things I can think of:
- Cable modem is borked
- Router is borked
- Messed up wire
- You ISP is having "issues"

The first thing I'd try is replacing the cable between the modem and router. I know this sounds dumb, but I had a bad cable for a while and didn't even notice it. Replacing it solved a lot of problems for me; I guess it was poorly crimped.

I've also had a router die on me which royally sucked. The annoying thing was there was little way to find out that was the culprit.

As for the modem/ISP, you'd be in the dark there too. Do any friends/neighbors have a modem you can borrow for an hour to try it on?

The ISP might also not care, if you can't figure out the problem on your end then you're going to have to kick and scream to get them to come see you (at least that's always the case with my Cable company, not Verizon).

Anyway, tough call. I have internet connection problems; there are just way too many possible problem-points.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama
This comment was edited on May 18, 09:41.
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

May 18, 2005, 08:47
Re: Help me! May 18, 2005, 08:47
May 18, 2005, 08:47

Anybody know of away to connect to some server (not just a game, anykind) and constantly send data back and forth and monitor the quality, reliability and other statistics and such?

Yeah, it's called ping

Seriously, if you have someone else that you can send pings to for awhile then it's a good low level tester. You can even increase the size of the ping packets to simulate real data.

Are you sure that your packet size isn't too large? I had a similar issue a few years ago and it was because my maximum send size was a few bytes too big, which was causing serious problems.

Other than that it's almost certainly a cable modem or ISP issue.

May 18, 2005, 03:48
Re: Help me! May 18, 2005, 03:48
May 18, 2005, 03:48

the problem has been verified on 3 different computers now hooked up to my cable connection!
I'd say that pretty definitively points to the cable modem itself, or something upstream as the problem. Call your ISP.

May 18, 2005, 03:10
Re: No subject May 18, 2005, 03:10
May 18, 2005, 03:10

Heh those LCD cinematic action things are great. Love the Schindler's List one.

May 18, 2005, 02:20
Re: No subject May 18, 2005, 02:20
May 18, 2005, 02:20

Why do Blue's pooches always want to escape? Is it that he's a cruel and vicious master and they seek to be free of his tyrannical ways, or they just really are free spirits?

"....and goddamit tuck up those pajamas!"
- Neidermeyer
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

May 18, 2005, 01:57
Re: No subject May 18, 2005, 01:57
May 18, 2005, 01:57

Just get FireFox and make the MiddleMouse click launch a new window, problem solved. I use to love Launch Links...now it is trival, everysite I want has Launch Links now!
And by default it'll do new tab anyway, which is even better. And if you don't have a middle mouse (laptop) then just hold Ctrl while clicking.

May 18, 2005, 01:24
Enahs

Re: Help me! May 18, 2005, 01:24
May 18, 2005, 01:24
 Enahs

Of course if you're having this problem with the more modern 3D games, it must be something completely different. I'm assuming this isn't a problem anymore with today's online games.

Well, something similar now a days can happen that will cause the similar effect, but it is the opposite direction, if your CPU is too slow.
Now a days if your CPU is too slow for the frame rate your video card can run at, it will calculate the prediction wrong, the server will know and it will have to resend certain data (the short end of it). This usually happens in say large firefights/lots o’ people where the CPU is in heavy use.

But tis not my problem.

This is straight up no data being sent/received it seems, but my cable modem still says it is connected and the logs show nothing odd.

Anybody know of away to connect to some server (not just a game, anykind) and constantly send data back and forth and monitor the quality, reliability and other statistics and such?

*edit* And no, it is not my computer, the problem has been verified on 3 different computers now hooked up to my cable connection!

When I say your dumb name please stand up briefly, but then quickly drop to your knees and forsake all others before me.

This comment was edited on May 18, 01:27.
- W. C. Fields

May 18, 2005, 00:40
Re: Help me! May 18, 2005, 00:40
May 18, 2005, 00:40

This probably isn't it but I had the exact same problem as you several years ago while playing the Quake games online. The problem was I'd just upgraded my CPU and my fps was so high (150+ fps), I guess it was just requesting too much information from the servers per second? I forgot exactly how it all worked but as soon as I capped the FPS to ~100, problems went away.

Of course if you're having this problem with the more modern 3D games, it must be something completely different. I'm assuming this isn't a problem anymore with today's online games. Did you just upgrade your CPU or anything that would shoot up your FPS considerably?

May 17, 2005, 23:30
Re: No subject May 17, 2005, 23:30
May 17, 2005, 23:30

Launch links hasn't worked for me with Mozilla in over a year.

Help me!
May 17, 2005, 22:55
Enahs

Help me! May 17, 2005, 22:55
May 17, 2005, 22:55
 Enahs

Hey you smart network geniuses, I need a little help.

I am having trouble playing games online.

At random intervals for about 2-5 seconds the transfer rate will slow WAY down, my ping will go well over 999, it virtually stops transferring data.

It might do this with web or file downloading, but it is not noticeable if it is (because of the nature of it).

This is not related to any particular game, server, ect.

I have just verifies through lan play that it is not the router. When it does happen my cable modem status light(s) do not change at all, and the cable modem log does not show anything odd either.

Anybody have any ideas on how to test if this is my cable modem (besides getting another one) or beyond my lovely home?

It has been doing it work a week now, and it is getting damn annoying.

When I say your dumb please stand up briefly, but then quickly drop to your knees and forsake all others before me.
- W. C. Fields

May 17, 2005, 22:29
nin

Re: No subject May 17, 2005, 22:29
May 17, 2005, 22:29
 nin

As my nanna, Nanna Roseanadanna used to say... if it's not one thing, it's another.

<Garret Morris weekend update recap>
AS MY NANNA, NANNA ROSEANADANNA USED TO SAY...
</Garret Morris weekend update recap>

If you look at your reflection, is that all you want to be? http://www.nin.com

May 17, 2005, 22:00
Re: No subject May 17, 2005, 22:00
May 17, 2005, 22:00

No, I do believe Blue him self broke it, no Blue?

Actually it was fixing a script error in the ads that broke it.

As my nanna, Nanna Roseanadanna used to say... if it's not one thing, it's another.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

May 17, 2005, 20:01
Enahs

Re: No subject May 17, 2005, 20:01
May 17, 2005, 20:01
 Enahs

Blue addressed this about a week ago. I can't remember though... was this the problem that popped up once Furn fixed the post editing problems?

No, I do believe Blue him self broke it, no Blue?

But this problem was before F he ever touched the editing bug.

When I say your dumb please stand up briefly, but then quickly drop to your knees and forsake all others before me.
- W. C. Fields

May 17, 2005, 19:38
WarPig

Re: No subject May 17, 2005, 19:38
May 17, 2005, 19:38
 WarPig

is it just me or is the launch links button no longer on the main page? both in firefox and IE

Blue addressed this about a week ago. I can't remember though... was this the problem that popped up once Furn fixed the post editing problems?

Either way, it's not just you. When your cookie expires you'll probably see the box again and it'll disappear as soon as you click it. For me, launch links can be seen and works on message board pages but can't be seen and won't work (even after clicking the box) on the main page.

-------------------------------------------------------
"We're innocent critters squashed on the highway of life!"

GO SEAHAWKS!

Re: WOW I'M SO EXCITED!!
May 17, 2005, 18:19
Re: WOW I'M SO EXCITED!! May 17, 2005, 18:19
May 17, 2005, 18:19

This E3 is gonna be a good one.
Gather 'round children and i'll tell you a tale,
Of chipper the ripper the chipmunk from hell

WOW I'M SO EXCITED!!
May 17, 2005, 18:01
WOW I'M SO EXCITED!! May 17, 2005, 18:01
May 17, 2005, 18:01

XBOX 360, PLAYSTATION 3, NINTENDO REVOLUTION, QUAKE 4, UNREAL 3!!!

Man I haven't felt this rush in a long... long time!!!

We're now entering a new phase in gaming!! YEAH BABY!!!

M

No subject
May 17, 2005, 17:05
No subject May 17, 2005, 17:05
May 17, 2005, 17:05

The Bureau of Prisons could use a few more good people like you Blue. If not the border patrol. Your options are limitless!
"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older