27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
May 11, 2005, 13:20
Re: No subject May 11, 2005, 13:20
May 11, 2005, 13:20

Well said Squirmer. I think the context that things are put within, makes all the difference. For example, I remember a fantasy game where you were a warrior with a sword fighting other warriors and monsters. In the game, you could hack off the head of your enemy with a well placed blow. No big deal to me. However, if the game involved running around hacking off the heads of people in a supermarket or something, I'd say that is a pretty sick game. All depends upon the context.

Re: You gotta admit
May 11, 2005, 13:04
Re: You gotta admit May 11, 2005, 13:04
May 11, 2005, 13:04

Creston nailed it. This is about a company making light of a serious issue (one in which it involves kids actually being killed). Plain and simple. Nothing else. That is why I'm calling them idiotic. This has nothing to do with violence in videogames, christianity (give me a break), or whatever else you may think.

So if you are disagreeing with my intended statement, I'm assuming you are saying it is ok to make light of (or fun of) serious issues in our society today (i.e. abuse, racism, etc)?

May 10, 2005, 08:01
Re: No subject May 10, 2005, 08:01
May 10, 2005, 08:01

p.s. Halsy is correct. There is plenty of undisputed research demonstrating the desensitizion effect of media such as movies and television. Wanna bet that videogames have the same effect?

I think there's a difference between desensitisation and real cold-blooded murder. Personal experience is not scientific fact, but let me tell you something I've noticed: I can watch most things on TV and in games (except violence to animals, which I cringe from). I can happily watch people torn apart, I can even chop people up myself in games! But when I heard about those first beheadings in Iraq, I was sickened. It took me a couple of days just to accept the reality, and I'm sure I'm not alone. While I could chop the head off someone in a game, it made me sick in reality. It's the difference between a video game and real life, and the vast majority of people have no problem with that.

Did games contribute to Columbine and other crimes? Maybe. But you can't legislate for psychopaths. You can't censor films, games, whatever because they might help trigger the occasional freak.

If Rockstar tries to take advantage of this issue just to ship a few more copies, then it's hard to defend them. But I don't think they will. They won't mind the controversy, but their games are much more than the mindless violence their critics portray them as. And considering that in Bully you play the victim, I'll give Rockstar the benefit of the doubt that they will address this issue, not exploit it.

No subject
May 10, 2005, 04:42
No subject May 10, 2005, 04:42
May 10, 2005, 04:42

hellbinder you are a fucking dumbass ... go watch christian cartoons with your youth group

- Subhumans 1982

May 10, 2005, 01:42
Re: No subject May 10, 2005, 01:42
May 10, 2005, 01:42

What, Squirmer, surprised that Christians play videogames? Or even worse, that some of them might voice their equally valid opinions?

Real xtians don't play violent video games nor do they have valid opinions on anything.

As for the desensitization issue, people need to remember that everyone is affected differently to different degrees. There are no absolutes here which is why it's unfait to lump everyone into the same boat.

"I am an evil giraffe, and I shall eat more leaves from this tree then prehaps I should, so that other giraffes may die"
- Eddie Izzard
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

May 9, 2005, 22:13
Re: No subject May 9, 2005, 22:13
May 9, 2005, 22:13

When, exactly, do we decide what a rock bottom concept is? Or is there such a thing in art? I'm still not sure.

Very interesting question, SquirrelZero. I'd like to know why so many people completely avoid asking it altogether, or automatically assume that art has an exemption from standards of decency/morality etc.

Wow, I didn't think the Christian brigade had invaded Blues. I guess they really are everywhere.

I think this concept is very interesting. Rockstar's one of the most innovative companies out there, and I hope they succeed with this. Check any other thread on Blues and you see people complain about a lack of creativity, and now people are complaining about a game that most companies wouldn't dare attempt -- not because it's controversial, but because it must be hard to make a compelling game from this setting.

What, Squirmer, surprised that Christians play videogames? Or even worse, that some of them might voice their equally valid opinions?

Also, by your logic, it would be better if Rockstar Games made a game about cutting the lawn or going grocery shopping. After all, it would take real creativity to make a compelling game involving those subjects.

p.s. Halsy is correct. There is plenty of undisputed research demonstrating the desensitizion effect of media such as movies and television. Wanna bet that videogames have the same effect? I would like to know why people who play videogames refuse to accept that certain games may have a negative effect on certain people. It is like enjoying smoking and denying it causes lung cancer, or speeding and refusing to acknowledge that you are putting yourself at higher risk of injury or death. I am quite prepared to accept that videogames might have been a partial catalyst for Columbine and carefully search myself for any negative effects as well, without necessarily changing my gaming habits. What is so hard to accept about that?
~~~~~~~~~~~~

May 9, 2005, 21:09
Re: No subject May 9, 2005, 21:09
May 9, 2005, 21:09

This is Moronic.

People like Space Captain in this thead are just plain Clueless. Its Freaking reality. Garbage in garbage out. If you and others are so freaking blind as to nbot be able to see the difference between Filth and Common Decency and ordrely behavior i am not supprised.

people like you prove my point entirely. You are already Corrupted to a point where you cant even acknoledge that there is right and wrong anymore.

Total Moral Decay.

Pentium 4 3.12ghz 800 FSB HT
Abit IC7-G MAXX2
1G Corsair DDR-400
40GB Raptor 10,000RPM SATA
120GB 7,000RPM SATA
[b]Radeon 9800XT 425/382 (CAT3.8/DX9) [color=red]3Dmark03 7074[/color][/b]
[color=blueompare [url]http://service.futuremark.com/compar
The Whales name is Bob.

Should've been another studio...
May 9, 2005, 19:58
Should've been another studio... May 9, 2005, 19:58
May 9, 2005, 19:58

Out of all the Rockstar studios, the Vancouver studios had to be the one. The city that had bullies articles day after day on either The Province or Vancouver Sun newspapers.

This is what parents are looking for. They look and say "Hey, this game teaches kids how to be bullies and it was developed in Vancouver, known locally for some of the brutal bully attacks"

Seriously, while in America it could be an average day, but here in Canada. It's unusal to hear such a story, not to mention how brutal it was, leading some of the victims to death.

I wouldn't have a problem if it was develop some other Rockstar studios(simply because I'm unfamliar with the city/town) but when it comes to Rockstar Vancouver(orignally known as Barking Dog Studios, creators of Global Operatives) that's something to consider since I'm a Vancouver resident.

Anyways, I'm looking forward it(ashamefully)
It might be a cartoony-type of game with a bit of GTA/Manhunt-style to it(or Tom & Jerry cartoon-style)
I'll play it but I doubt I'll go out and buy it(remember Rockstar's other stellar games like Manhunt and State of Emergency?)

Ugh.

Re: sounds dumb
May 9, 2005, 19:10
Re: sounds dumb May 9, 2005, 19:10
May 9, 2005, 19:10

Wow, I didn't think the Christian brigade had invaded Blues. I guess they really are everywhere.

I think this concept is very interesting. Rockstar's one of the most innovative companies out there, and I hope they succeed with this. Check any other thread on Blues and you see people complain about a lack of creativity, and now people are complaining about a game that most companies wouldn't dare attempt -- not because it's controversial, but because it must be hard to make a compelling game from this setting.

Just because it's Rockstar doesn't mean you'll be driving burning vehicles through the schoolyard and unloading with an M-16. You have no idea what the gameplay will be like. I'm sure Rockstar wants that uncertainty to fuel speculation and hype, but how about we wait for more details before we stick Sam Houser on a burning cross?

sounds dumb
May 9, 2005, 18:45
sounds dumb May 9, 2005, 18:45
May 9, 2005, 18:45

The whole moral issue aside, I think the concept sounds dumb and completely uninteresting.

Re: You gotta admit
May 9, 2005, 17:12
Re: You gotta admit May 9, 2005, 17:12
May 9, 2005, 17:12

Sure, the other option is to ignore that bullying goes on and not put the victim in a heroic role...but Rockstar has the word 'Bully' as it's game's title, so the game is in bad taste.

Hell, if done right, RL bullies might just play this game...imagine that: you'll have bullies playing as a victim of their own behaviour. What's not to like?

You gotta admit
May 9, 2005, 16:54
You gotta admit May 9, 2005, 16:54
May 9, 2005, 16:54

that with the current razzia going on against videogames, creating a game based on a seriously fucked up problem going on at schools isn't the smartest thing rockstar could have done.

It's like they're BEGGING to get more shit thrown against them.

Creston

No subject
May 9, 2005, 16:39
No subject May 9, 2005, 16:39
May 9, 2005, 16:39

ITS THE DEVILS MUSIC!!!

BURN IN HELL, SINNERS!

- Subhumans 1982

May 9, 2005, 16:33
Re: No subject May 9, 2005, 16:33
May 9, 2005, 16:33

"And in a surprise announcement, Rockstar has committed themselves to a new spinoff, named 'Molester,' a hilarious adventure where you play a young boy trying to fend off twisted sexual predators using an assortment of tools at your disposla."

When, exactly, do we decide what a rock bottom concept is? Or is there such a thing in art? I'm still not sure.

---------
Pandora Studios programmer
http://www.pandora-studios.com

May 9, 2005, 16:32
nin
Re: No subject May 9, 2005, 16:32
May 9, 2005, 16:32
nin

As a troublesome schoolboy, you'll laugh and cringe as you stand up to bullies, get picked on by teachers, play pranks on malicious kids, win or lose the girl, and ultimately learn to navigate the obstacles of the fictitious reform school, Bullworth Academy.

I don't see a problem with this game.

I think people are hung up on the title, and assume you play the part of the bully. No where does it say that, and I'm assuming the "bully" comes from the schoolname "Bullworth Academy"...

If you look at your reflection, is that all you want to be? http://www.nin.com

May 9, 2005, 16:28
Bet

Re: No subject May 9, 2005, 16:28
May 9, 2005, 16:28
 Bet

Its time to face the facts that the Media and Video games *ARE* a big cause of what happened at Columbine and similar events all over the place. Its called the reprogramming of society. Movies, Media, Music lyrics, TV shows, Games.

Someone did a poor job programming those two guys, then. A shitty kill ratio in a library full of stationary targets. If they had waited a few years, maybe they would have gotten the practice they needed to kill those poor kids by practicing on AFKs in CS. God knows they might have had a better ratio.

No, what I can't believe is that there were no hero cops, ala Die Hard, out of that whole group of cops outside the school, that would have stormed into the library's wide-open doors (where the shooting was going on), and take out those two idiots. I mean, good god, half the cops I've talked to yearn to be heroes like that.

On topic, though, this is going to be hilarious when it hits the news in force. Confusion will abound.

May 9, 2005, 16:21
Re: No subject May 9, 2005, 16:21
May 9, 2005, 16:21

Its time to face the facts that the Media and Video games *ARE* a big cause of what happened at Columbine and similar events all over the place. Its called the reprogramming of society. Movies, Media, Music lyrics, TV shows, Games.

To Deny the obvious that "what you put in afects what you get out" is just blind dinial stupidity. Sex, Violence, abuse, rude behavior, etc etc etc are all out of control and getting even worse year by year. You cant expose the general population to ever erroding values and morals 8+ Hours a day and it not have an effect. Which then affects the media which then affects the people. Its an out of control snowball affect.

Someone has to stand up and say enough is enough. We are NOT going to allow games where rampant violence against real people is glorified. We are NOT going to allow over the top Sexuality to be the driving force behind mass entertainment.

If those things are out there they are going to be limited and hard to comeby and or extremely licinces with massive fines for people who allow them to be displayed to Children etc.

Yes it sounds extreme. But the brakes have to be put on before we are completely brainwashed as a society.

Think about it.

Pentium 4 3.12ghz 800 FSB HT
Abit IC7-G MAXX2
1G Corsair DDR-400
40GB Raptor 10,000RPM SATA
120GB 7,000RPM SATA
[b]Radeon 9800XT 425/382 (CAT3.8/DX9) [color=red]3Dmark03 7074[/color][/b]
[color=blueompare [url]http://service.futuremark.com/compar
The Whales name is Bob.

May 9, 2005, 15:36
Re: No subject May 9, 2005, 15:36
May 9, 2005, 15:36

From the article:
As a troublesome schoolboy, you'll laugh and cringe as you stand up to bullies, get picked on by teachers, play pranks on malicious kids, win or lose the girl, and ultimately learn to navigate the obstacles of the fictitious reform school, Bullworth Academy.

I don't see a problem with this game.

May 9, 2005, 15:17
Re: No subject May 9, 2005, 15:17
May 9, 2005, 15:17

It's been porven beyond a shadow of a doubt that violent media desensitizes poeple to violence. Everyone should be shielded from it. To what degree is the question.

Regardeless of that debate, this game is about a kid who gets bullied and fights back, not the about bullying kids.
Take a pill already.

"I am an evil giraffe, and I shall eat more leaves from this tree then prehaps I should, so that other giraffes may die"
- Eddie Izzard
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

May 9, 2005, 15:13
Re: No subject May 9, 2005, 15:13
May 9, 2005, 15:13

He's just stating his opinion that Rockstar Games has crossed that line.

That's the problem: no one has even seen so much as a screenshot and people are already gearing up for a moral crusade. People see Rockstar's name attached to the game and automatically assume GTA-levels of blood and violence or criminal behavior.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older