The Next Unreal Tournament

Unreal Returns on 1UP has a look at the next Unreal Tournament game, which they got to check out in person. The new game may not be titled UT2006, reflecting what Steve Polge calls a "generational change" in the Unreal Engine 3 project ("The polygon jump is going from thousands to millions"). The lengthy article discusses the reasons they are deconstructing the game to rebuild it:
"Actually, we don't think 2K4 was very successful," Steve offers. Jim and Jeff nod their heads in agreement, while I'm certain mine is spinning in disbelief. Steve continues, "It wasn't a bad game...I just wish it had been a better game than it was."

Apparently, members of the hardcore UT community agree. "We've paid a lot of attention to what the guys in the community are saying, and we take that feedback to heart. We've got guys that troll the forums every day [and read feedback]," Jim says. What's their biggest critique? "I would say mobility. Mobility and weapon balance. That's more for the hardcore guy who plays every day or on a regular basis, but balancing that out overall will make the whole game feel better, and so everybody will benefit."
View : : :
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Unreal was done right
May 6, 2005, 17:46
Re: Unreal was done right May 6, 2005, 17:46
May 6, 2005, 17:46

Not ground-breaking ?!?
Unreal was the most ground-breaking game since Doom.

It delivered dynamic lighting, reflective surfaces and huge vistas among other new technologies.

These are things other companies were promising, but never delivered. (remember the floating shadows of quakeGL ??)

In fact 3DRealms had been working on PREY for years, promising unbelievable realism and graphic technology. Unreal blew it out of the water and, many believe, caused 3D realms to abandon it.

"not ground-breaking"... I beg to differ.

Re: Not cool
May 6, 2005, 08:14
Re: Not cool May 6, 2005, 08:14
May 6, 2005, 08:14

Art can be a very personal thing, so I don't think there's any point debating this. UT fans will of course disagree. What i'd like to know is if anyone else tried really hard to like UT, but just couldn't get over this.

Yes. Im not a fan of this series in particular - it just seems too... cartoonish for my liking. And yes, the announcer voices fuck me off too

May 5, 2005, 23:45
Re: Unreal was done right May 5, 2005, 23:45
May 5, 2005, 23:45

It will never happen, but I would actually like to see a sequel to Unreal. It was not necessarily ground-breaking, but I cannot think of any other game that started out under such a weird scenario, opened up into such a large and alien world, had a mild social/religious structure to it, created a slave race you cared (somewhat) about, etc.

Ditto.

I enjoyed the Quake SP games, but really like the UT and UT2k4 for MP. They just "feel" better to me in MP.

*** Warhawk ***

It's not easy being a cast-iron bitch. It takes discipline, years of training... A lot of people don't appreciate that.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

May 5, 2005, 22:23
Re: Not cool May 5, 2005, 22:23
May 5, 2005, 22:23

Doom is maybe one of the worst games to make a movie out of: demons take over mars, guy goes in to kill 'em all. That is a b-movie if I ever heard one. Maybe with a decent director it might be something worth renting, but the game itself is just run&gun...which makes for a lousy movie.

Thats okay, if you read up on the movie you will discover that it won't be demons but the products of genetic engineering, it won't be space marines but space cops, and it won't even be on Mars but some planet in another solar system. But it has The Rock so they must have figured that the Doom fans will watch it anyways.

------
Carpe Papilla
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

No subject
May 5, 2005, 22:10
No subject May 5, 2005, 22:10
May 5, 2005, 22:10

Doom is maybe one of the worst games to make a movie out of: demons take over mars, guy goes in to kill 'em all. That is a b-movie if I ever heard one. Maybe with a decent director it might be something worth renting, but the game itself is just run&gun...which makes for a lousy movie.

Stand by for a lot of artistic license in the movie, which is usually another way of saying "put in a love interest and comic relief sidekick"

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 5, 2005, 18:27
Re: Unreal was done right May 5, 2005, 18:27
May 5, 2005, 18:27

It will never happen, but I would actually like to see a sequel to Unreal. It was not necessarily ground-breaking, but I cannot think of any other game that started out under such a weird scenario, opened up into such a large and alien world, had a mild social/religious structure to it, created a slave race you cared (somewhat) about, etc.
No idea what the heck they were thinking of with Unreal 2
As for the next UT, though I am in the minority, I do not like the "hardcore" route they are going. I enjoyed the last game just for how much it did, but of a lot of the "hardcore" community (that I have seen) cares about vehicle play. More and more, it seems like it wants to become some Tribes-like game that obsesses over how far you can fly or how 1337 some specific vehicle.
And do not get me started on the Tribe cult...er...fanbase.
Taking a wait and see approach,
Ray

-----
May 24th, 2000. The day I learned that Looking Glass was no more.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

No subject
May 5, 2005, 16:16
No subject May 5, 2005, 16:16
May 5, 2005, 16:16

Nice..

May 5, 2005, 16:01
Re: Not cool May 5, 2005, 16:01
May 5, 2005, 16:01

"if you can't make a cool movie using one gamedom's most famous titles, what game can have success as a movie"

There are other games however which would maybe make good movies: beyond good and evil, homeworld (although battlestar galactica has some of that in there [or visa-versa]), even HL2...

Original UT
May 5, 2005, 14:03
Original UT May 5, 2005, 14:03
May 5, 2005, 14:03

I don't think they'll ever manage to recapture the brilliance, fun and absolute crystal perfection that was the original UT. I gave UT2K3 a try and hated it. I got UT2K4 and it was better but I never finished it. I still play UT regularly to this day. I sometimes think that there's just too much "stuff" on screen with these versions, now that the designers can go hog wild with polys and bumpmapping and pixel shading and whatnot. It's just distracting somehow. I'm not saying environments should be as bland as the original UT, maybe put the eye candy someplace where it's not in the way of the action. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Just trying to put my finger on what makes the bew ones inferior to the originals.

I also really dislike the huge gargantuan armor everybody wears. I liked the more streamlined guys in the original and it was a lot easier to tell them apart. I've always hated the new style of iconic ammo and powerups. I liked the more realistic ones in the original. It was almost immediately obvious what they were and what they did (with the exception of Quad damage of course, and maybe invisibility, but those were the only two so not too hard to get used to them).

May 5, 2005, 13:40
Re: Not cool May 5, 2005, 13:40
May 5, 2005, 13:40

Friends: much like beauty, cool is in the eyes of the beholder. I consider UT2k3 and 4 to be "cool" but I respect the opinion of those who don't think it's "cool". As far as making movies out of video games, its all a matter of what the producers think will sell. A movie is being produced out of Id's Doom franchise. Now, if you can't make a cool movie using one gamedom's most famous titles, what game can have success as a movie? I think Halo would make a great movie, but thats just me.

May 5, 2005, 13:08
dan
Re: Not cool May 5, 2005, 13:08
May 5, 2005, 13:08
dan

Quote by Zephalephelah,
It just looks well done. But then they add all this 13yr old bullshit into the mix & ruin it.

(...)I don't need another game of stupid lasers and rockets with people running around at 70mph in oversized suits with a bunch of stupid announcer voices rubbing it in all the time.(...)

Sometimes I just want to grab these developers by the throat in one of their meetings & say, "Shut up! Shut up! SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!!!(...)

ROTFLMAO

Oh I wish I could just take over Epic for one or two days just to fire people.

Quote by Beamer,
I agree entirely about the art direction of the UT series. The original UT was cheesy as hell, and took a long while to win me over,(...)

Very lame art direction. What can you expect, though, I think Cliffy B is behind it. Just look at him and ask yourself if he has a clue what "cool" is these days?

LOL. OMG if what you say is true, it's one more reason for me to dislike the guy.

I'm seriously considering putting up a website/blog where I can voice this opinion. I LOVE the Unreal *engine* and Epic made a lot of remarkable technical improvements since the first UT. Technically, I think Unreal 3 will probably be *amazing*, but I wish they would just bury the Unreal Tournament franchise already and come up with something different and undeniably cool instead.

The litmus test: a game you could actually make a mainstream blockbuster movie out of. At the very least, a game you wouldn't be embarrased of showing to your parents or people who aren't total nerds.

Even cheesy games can be cool, look at Mortal Kombat. It's not a favorite of mine, but Midway took a risk and it worked. The game is a satire, with all the overdone violence and comical warrior characters. On the other hand, the movie sucked, but at least it shows the game franchise was good enough to be considered for movie production.

Re: UT2k4
May 5, 2005, 11:48
Re: UT2k4 May 5, 2005, 11:48
May 5, 2005, 11:48

VCTF and Onslaught are probably two of my most played game types. Then there is UT-XMP mod, and of course Red Orchestra.

Bought UT2K4 for $20, and I still play it, mostly with the Tech Report regulars. Still a lot of fun.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive
You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

UT2k4
May 5, 2005, 11:25
UT2k4 May 5, 2005, 11:25
May 5, 2005, 11:25

Personally, I love playing UT. My friends and I still play the old UT (with mostly mod community maps: Bathroom is one of our favorites) when we get together for our lan parties. And I loved UT2k3 and 2k4. I think the graphics are good (not great, but good) and gameplay is fast and furious. Frankly, I have no complaints about it. But, if they want to make it better..I won't complain about that either!

Re: No subject
May 5, 2005, 11:14
Re: No subject May 5, 2005, 11:14

no one uses the bio rifle?

you've never played against me then in any of the UT games. i love that gun. i know a lot of people that love that gun. it's *deadly* if you have the skills to use it properly. yeah, it takes some practice but a fully charged up alt fire hit will kill just about anyone stone cold dead. you can't do it at point blank range without hurting yourself, and because it arcs, and takes time to reach it's target, at range is really difficult to pull off, but trust me, get good at it and it's the ultimate leveller. they considered leaving it out in ut2k3, and a fan movement (which i was a big part of back when i used to write for 3DActionPlanet) convinced them that Unreal without the Goo Gun is like Quake without the rocket launcher. just because you can't use it, don't spoil it for those of us that do! and if you've never seen anyone using it, leaving it in won't effect your life at all.

This comment was edited on May 5, 11:16.

Re:
Re: May 5, 2005, 11:14

I thought UT2K4 was fantastic.... also, it's sorta like Windows Freecell.... you can just load up and frag a few bots before bed. I'm still playing it more than any other game, plus it's deadset easy to make maps for.... I'm not saying good maps, but maps can be made with little effort...

I don't mind them doing an SP game.... I'd applaud it, but I'd be sad to lose Unreal Tournament...

May 5, 2005, 11:12
Re: No subject May 5, 2005, 11:12
May 5, 2005, 11:12

I think what made the original Unreal great was that when I finished the game I felt I had been somewhere. There were grand moments...stepping out of the Vortex Riker and seeing the waterfalls, the sunspire, the encounter with the first juggernaut. There were the creepy moments..the lights turning off in the hallway, the larvea in the dark rooms near the end. And there were even the non eventful moments such as the boatride down the river. It all came together in the right way, that made you feel like you had taken a trip through another world.

------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

No subject
May 5, 2005, 10:48
No subject May 5, 2005, 10:48
May 5, 2005, 10:48

I found the original Unreal to be incredibly boring. Everyone talks about how 'scary' the sequence where the lights go out was, but how many interesting things happened after that?

May 5, 2005, 10:44
Re: No subject May 5, 2005, 10:44
May 5, 2005, 10:44

What I gathered from that article is that Steve Pogle (a name I haven't really heard since the Quake days) is doing the design, thinks UT2K4 wasn't much fun, and wants to bring back UT.

Good news. Especially as it seems Pogle is the lead designer instead of Cliffy B. I'm always wary of games designed by people that sell themselves as personalities. Romero, Cliffy B, and American McGee. Eh, maybe not the last, I suppose he sells himself as a name more than a personality.

Re: Sixis
May 5, 2005, 10:42
Re: Sixis May 5, 2005, 10:42
May 5, 2005, 10:42

Every UT2004 mod I've seen has the worst animation and worst textures ever. Red Orchestra blows and so does that Star Wars one.

Well, I'm a little at loss of what to say here, as RO has some of the best animations I've ever seen in any game, ever, And while some of the early maps werent always top notch visually, the later ones, such as Krasnyoktabyr or Stalingradkessel are simply put better looking than most HL2 retail maps.. I cant find any good "map shots", so heres a "sit rep" with some shots:

http://www.redorchestra.clanservers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2443&highlight=screenshots

As for the starwars mod, (Troopers, I guess) I've only played a very early beta, and I didnt think it was that hot either, but I'm sure its gotten better.. I'm not a big SW fan so I havent bothered keeping up with that mod..

http://www.thebrpage.net

No subject
May 5, 2005, 10:36
Eps
No subject May 5, 2005, 10:36
May 5, 2005, 10:36
Eps

I wonder what the chances are of Bombing run returning in the new UT ?. Absoultely love it but its such a minority game now.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older