Ships Ahoy - Pariah

Groove Games announces that Pariah has shipped, and Digital Extreme's science fiction first-person shooter is due in stores this week:
TORONTO - May 3, 2005 - Groove Games, a global interactive entertainment software publisher, today announced the shipping of the highly touted first-person action game, Pariah. Developed by top independent development studio, Digital Extremes, Pariah hits store shelves this week on the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft and the PC.

"We're really excited to see gamers get their hands on Pariah this week,"
said Jon Walsh, CEO of Groove Games. "It's a great year for the first- person shooter genre and Pariah is a must-have for any gamer who loves the rush of fast-action fun gameplay and with Pariah's MAP Editor, the replay- ability is infinite."

Pariah has steadily gained awareness as a game to watch after it was awarded Biggest Surprise at the industry's Electronic Entertainment Expo by IGN.com last spring. The game intertwines a compelling story, evolutionary gameplay and stunning visuals to create an impressively immersive single- player campaign as well as fully loaded multi-player features including the exclusive Make-And-Play (MAP) Editor.

Pariah puts the power in gamer's hands to create their own playable environments using the tools provided in the MAP Editor. From manipulating terrain to changing weather effects to adding pre-made art objects and more, the MAP Editor harnesses the power of game developer's tools while simplifying them for anyone to use. Once created, gamers can share their maps with their friends via the internet with the PC version or through Xbox Live™, memory unit, split-screen multi-player or system link with the Xbox version.

Groove Games is publishing the game in North America while Hip Interactive Europe will publish and distribute the title in Europe, Australia and New Zealand. Pariah will be in most major retail stores this week for an estimated retail price of US$49.99 on Xbox and US$39.99 on PC with an ESRB rating of 'M' for Mature. For more information on the game visit the official website at www.pariahgame.com.
View : : :
76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Eh...
May 3, 2005, 19:35
Re: Eh... May 3, 2005, 19:35
May 3, 2005, 19:35

"Still needing to pick up Psychonauts"

Go. Now!

Well it's not as good as Beyond Good & Evil, or have nearly the magic of Grim Fandango, it's a helluva lot better than endless raids in WoW (shhhh, don't tell the guildies I've been neglecting them for it). And like BG&E somehow they priced it cheaper than most games too.

Re: System Shock 2
May 3, 2005, 19:30
Re: System Shock 2 May 3, 2005, 19:30
May 3, 2005, 19:30

I <3 Shodan

I wish I could get an updated version of SS1 (I've tried playing it a few times but even with a lot of work using various DOS emulators (yes, yes I've read the FAQ damnit!) the damn thing still crashes too much, could be that my CD is getting really old and scratched at this point) Prolly never going to happen though, just like they're never going to do an updated version of Ultima Underworld 1 or 2, whatever engine LG cooked up for those games seems to be pretty resistant to running on a modern PC.

Did I mention I <3 Shodan? God, where is the Doom3 SS1 TC? I would sacrifice the blood of billions of innocent children to you for that....

Re: pc vs consoles
May 3, 2005, 19:26
Re: pc vs consoles May 3, 2005, 19:26
May 3, 2005, 19:26

I wouldn't hate consoles except that they have gutted alot of good PC games.

No, I don't play consoles at all. What makes it worse is when M$ goes from developer to developer with a trash bag full of money to get them to write their games for the xbox.

Then (assuming there's no delay on the PC version) a PC game that you were looking forward to and might have had some style, even elegance, turns in to an auto-aiming button masher so that M$ can make $13.1 billion instead of a paltry $13 billion.

yeah, that gets under my skin a little

No subject
May 3, 2005, 18:48
No subject May 3, 2005, 18:48
May 3, 2005, 18:48

LOL..People don't waste your hard earned money here. This is pure crap let me tell you. Don't believe the YES men you'll be sorry if you buy it.

May 3, 2005, 18:39
Re: pc vs consoles May 3, 2005, 18:39
May 3, 2005, 18:39

generally the ones that bitch the most probably dont play console games tho wouldnt u agree? i play both and i never complain also i realize people will disagree of what makes a game good and what-not. and im not picking on blues gamers either, most of it comes from just going around tons of sites and seeing a common thing. pc gamers unrelenting hate for anything console related.

Re: System Shock 2
May 3, 2005, 18:38
Re: System Shock 2 May 3, 2005, 18:38
May 3, 2005, 18:38

You know, these things are harder to find than I imagined. Here are some more links...

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.htm
http://shtup.home.att.net/
http://shock.musicexplosion.net/
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Shock Unlimited has an updated Rebirth Monkey under Custom Graphics Files, and you can get the Rebirth Rumbler somewhere as well. Just search the forum for that (which applies to everything, really -- you'll find pretty much anything Shock-related you could possibly want to know by searching the TTLG forum).

This comment was edited on May 9, 09:33.

Re: Eh...
May 3, 2005, 18:37
Re: Eh... May 3, 2005, 18:37
May 3, 2005, 18:37

...I will wait until if/when there is a single-player demo (or somebody links me one that is out already.)

You don't want the SP demo. It was released in an issue of Maxim's cover CD without DE's approval and for good reason. Its extremely short and quite buggy.

This looked really exciting when I first saw it, but the multi-player demo received some lukewarm response and a number of reviews have been labeling it as being generic.

Don't listen to the usual armchair critics, find out for yourself. If I had to describe it the MP is like a somewhat slower, more tactical version of UT2k4. If you found 2k4 a little too over-the-top you may like this. personally I enjoy it quite a lot (but then again I'm easy to please )

-tom

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

May 3, 2005, 18:33
Re: pc vs consoles May 3, 2005, 18:33
May 3, 2005, 18:33

First off, R.I.P. EB.
I hate crappy Lamestop
As for the "crap from pc gamers," that's a bit of an ignorant comment considering many PC gamers have consoles as well. Heck, I had all three consoles along with the PC; I only recently sold my PS2 and Xbox due to not playing them much and in anticipation of the new systems.

As for Doom 3, I am not a fan of it. The game has a darkness engine, not a light engine, and the single-player game is pretty poor. Looking at being a Doom game, it really does not have much in common when you look at level size, number of enemies, humor, weapon play, puzzles, all-out battles, etc.

Thus far, preferring Prey over Quake IV,
Ray

-----
May 24th, 2000. The day I learned that Looking Glass was no more.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: Shitty halo clone yay
May 3, 2005, 18:28
Re: Shitty halo clone yay May 3, 2005, 18:28
May 3, 2005, 18:28

Kajetan, agreed.
The love I was referring to is because of the almighty dollar.
They're developers and their focus is to sell. Who can blame them? The console market generates more money so they develop cross-platform games...and that's why the old school PC gamers get "dumbed down" games which are clearly made for consoles.
I don't think the problem is patching (most of the games sport a "automatically check for patches" option) nor copy protection (most of the PC users don't know what the hell Starforce is), just sheer number of sold copies.
Let's see what E3 will bring us... perhaps Lionhead innovative (to an extent) games will make us roar. For now, the RTS GOTY 2005 award goes to Darwinia and the RPG GOTY 2005to Mount & Blade (or perhaps boiling-point).

pc vs consoles
May 3, 2005, 18:27
pc vs consoles May 3, 2005, 18:27

i hate this crap from pc gamers all the time! they hate everything. anything they manage to love are old game's from 5+ years back. yet when u take a game like doom3 and basicly make it an updated doom1 with a story what happens? whine and complaining. personally, i love my pc more. mainly cause i love fps' so much. but more than anything im a fan of good games no matter its platform. so many games either get canceled or suffer from lack of support because of the fickle pc gamers. im probably gonna pick up the pc version of pariah for 40$ at ebworld and while im at it i think i'll pick up snk vs capcom chaos. i know its gotten so-so reviews but im a huge 2-d fighter fan and for 15$ new i cant pass it up

Eh...
Eh... May 3, 2005, 18:27

...I will wait until if/when there is a single-player demo (or somebody links me one that is out already.) This looked really exciting when I first saw it, but the multi-player demo received some lukewarm response and a number of reviews have been labeling it as being generic.

Still needing to pick up Psychonauts,
Ray Who is dreading the terrible camera

-----
May 24th, 2000. The day I learned that Looking Glass was no more.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

May 3, 2005, 18:19
Re: Shitty halo clone yay May 3, 2005, 18:19

Parallax Abstraction

But wait...wasn't Halo just a clone of just about every other FPS out there, only with bad level design and a good marketing campaign? Such confusion!

Well said Parallax Abstraction!

The truth can be brutal sometimes lol!!

System Shock 2
System Shock 2 May 3, 2005, 18:19

IIRC there's a fanmade patch adding updated graphics around.
Patches, even. Check out Rebirth and SHTUP. www.sshock2.com

May 3, 2005, 18:18
Re: Shitty halo clone yay May 3, 2005, 18:18
May 3, 2005, 18:18

Just look at last years sales charts. PC games sales were heavily outnumbered by console game sales

To say the least, here are some quotes from press releases

IRVINE, Calif. - December 1, 2004 - Blizzard Entertainment® today confirmed that World of Warcraft® has broken day-one sales records in North America, making it the most successful PC game launch ever. World of Warcraft, the company’s subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), sold through to over 240,000 customers at retailers in North America on Tuesday, November 23, selling more in its first 24 hours than any other PC game in history.

Microsoft beat even its own heady expectations for the hotly anticipated Xbox game “Halo 2,” selling more than $125 million of the product its first day in stores. The software giant on Wednesday reported sales of 2.38 million units for the game in the 24 hours since it went on sale in the United States and Canada at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday.

Microsoft has released a swathe of new figures related to Bungie’s Xbox opus, Halo 2, revealing that the title has now sold over five million units worldwide and become the most popular game in the history of Xbox Live.

No subject
May 3, 2005, 18:13
No subject May 3, 2005, 18:13
May 3, 2005, 18:13

I honestly don't see how people can say this feels like a port. It feels like any other unreal engined shooter (to me).

Anyhoo, minority here, I'll picking it up tomorrow

Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

A PC port is better than no game at all.
May 3, 2005, 18:08
A PC port is better than no game at all. May 3, 2005, 18:08
May 3, 2005, 18:08

I might be in the minority here, but I have to say, I am in favor of console ports - at a few have been really good (GTA, KOTOR, Halo, PoP Sands of Time). I understand that a game developed for consoles along with PC's will tend to be weakened by the console connection. But at least developers who do this are releasing a PC version. Its all too common for developers to forego the PC version all together - it's not like their botoom line is going to suffer if they don't release their game for PC. As PC gamers, if we hate EA,and we hate console ports, and we hate simultaneous console/PC releases, and we hate Microsoft, pretty soon we are not going to have anything to hate.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 3, 2005, 17:59
Re: Shitty halo clone yay May 3, 2005, 17:59
May 3, 2005, 17:59

This is off-topic, but I think I'll have to replay System Shock 2 one of these days. MAN that was an awesome game. IIRC there's a fanmade patch adding updated graphics around.

May 3, 2005, 17:39
Re: Shitty halo clone yay May 3, 2005, 17:39
May 3, 2005, 17:39

His point is that PC Games are becoming dumber because of the developers and their console lovin'.

Dearest Pr()ZaC,
it's not the love of the dev's for consoles, it's the growing love of the consumers for consoles. Just look at last years sales charts. PC games sales were heavily outnumbered by console game sales ... because the gamers are sick of this dumb patching, of dumb copy protection systems. They want to play and not make a degree in advanced pc engineering.

Re: More Like...
May 3, 2005, 17:18
Re: More Like... May 3, 2005, 17:18
May 3, 2005, 17:18

Single player is where it's at. This game rocks!

Is there a SP demo? If not, I hope there is soon or I may have to pass as well.

This space is available for rent

Re: More Like...
May 3, 2005, 17:16
Re: More Like... May 3, 2005, 17:16
May 3, 2005, 17:16

Single player is where it's at. This game rocks!

76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older