Ships Ahoy - Pariah

Groove Games announces that Pariah has shipped, and Digital Extreme's science fiction first-person shooter is due in stores this week:
TORONTO - May 3, 2005 - Groove Games, a global interactive entertainment software publisher, today announced the shipping of the highly touted first-person action game, Pariah. Developed by top independent development studio, Digital Extremes, Pariah hits store shelves this week on the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft and the PC.

"We're really excited to see gamers get their hands on Pariah this week,"
said Jon Walsh, CEO of Groove Games. "It's a great year for the first- person shooter genre and Pariah is a must-have for any gamer who loves the rush of fast-action fun gameplay and with Pariah's MAP Editor, the replay- ability is infinite."

Pariah has steadily gained awareness as a game to watch after it was awarded Biggest Surprise at the industry's Electronic Entertainment Expo by IGN.com last spring. The game intertwines a compelling story, evolutionary gameplay and stunning visuals to create an impressively immersive single- player campaign as well as fully loaded multi-player features including the exclusive Make-And-Play (MAP) Editor.

Pariah puts the power in gamer's hands to create their own playable environments using the tools provided in the MAP Editor. From manipulating terrain to changing weather effects to adding pre-made art objects and more, the MAP Editor harnesses the power of game developer's tools while simplifying them for anyone to use. Once created, gamers can share their maps with their friends via the internet with the PC version or through Xbox Live™, memory unit, split-screen multi-player or system link with the Xbox version.

Groove Games is publishing the game in North America while Hip Interactive Europe will publish and distribute the title in Europe, Australia and New Zealand. Pariah will be in most major retail stores this week for an estimated retail price of US$49.99 on Xbox and US$39.99 on PC with an ESRB rating of 'M' for Mature. For more information on the game visit the official website at www.pariahgame.com.
View : : :
76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Eh...
May 4, 2005, 00:22
Re: Eh... May 4, 2005, 00:22
May 4, 2005, 00:22

Go. Now!

Well it's not as good as Beyond Good & Evil, or have nearly the magic of Grim Fandango, it's a helluva lot better than endless raids in WoW (shhhh, don't tell the guildies I've been neglecting them for it). And like BG&E somehow they priced it cheaper than most games too.

I can't wait until my Psychonauts arrives. The second I heard Tim Schaefer was involved, I wanted it. And the demo was great. I really wish he could start doing things like GF and Escape from Monkey Island again. Some of the best games ever...

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Founder of StateOfGaming.org
Commentary & Discussion About the Video Game Industry and Its Future
Coming Soon
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Re: Shitty halo clone yay
May 4, 2005, 00:18
Re: Shitty halo clone yay May 4, 2005, 00:18
May 4, 2005, 00:18

The truth can be brutal sometimes lol!!

It just sucks that no one seems to get it judgine by how much the Halo games have sold.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Coming Soon
Parallax Abstraction

Re: No subject
May 4, 2005, 00:17
Re: No subject May 4, 2005, 00:17
May 4, 2005, 00:17

My favorite FPS's over the years have been System Shock 1/2 and Tron 2.0. Note the similarity between those three : )

I couldn't agree more. Those three ruled.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Coming Soon
Parallax Abstraction

May 4, 2005, 00:08
Re: Eh... May 4, 2005, 00:08
May 4, 2005, 00:08

@ zuul:
Yeah, it's a glitch in the demo.
The multiplayer demo doesn't have this glitch though...from what I've heard :p

I was disappointed with the lack of upgrades for the weapons. It's RPG-like upgrades. Collect exp points/money/credits and upgrade the weapons to the next level. I hate that. There's lack of innovation right there for you.

I was actually expecting more flexibility. Mix and match weapon parts and upgrade it to your given weapon like the Bulldog. Different parts gives you different results. Mixing and combining different weapon parts could result in higher recoil but better damage to enemies and etc...
Not only does it make things interesting in the multiplayer side, but also a different experience for every Pariah single player. Some can go gung-ho with massive upgraded weapons, while others can focus on stealth-like weapons and go in quietly.

This sort of thing was what I was expecting in Pariah after hearing that you can upgrade weapons. Sadly, it's the same formula that other games has been using.

Plus the destruction engine is a bit...weak compared to Red Faction's Geo-Mod engine. Again, it's not very open to players.

May 4, 2005, 00:05
Re: Eh... May 4, 2005, 00:05
May 4, 2005, 00:05

More of an indirect comment...but I think it swings back and forth. E3 is going to be fun and the consoles are going to explode with the new systems, but I am actually surprised by what I see coming out for the PC. There is no one defining game that I am looking forward to right now (DNF may go to '06 and F.E.A.R. is looking nice,) but there is a lot of "potential" greatness or just pure fun that I see in a lot upcoming releases.

I don't know if anything big will pop up for the PC, but I am interested on getting more detail on a lot of these "smaller" releases.
Mmm...Stubbs the Zombie
Shrugging,
Ray

-----
May 24th, 2000. The day I learned that Looking Glass was no more.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

No subject
May 3, 2005, 22:35
No subject May 3, 2005, 22:35
May 3, 2005, 22:35

well i got both pc and xbox. the console for those cool racing, sports games. the pc for the RPGs and the FPSs. Ive always thought that AvP2 was right up there amongst the best FPS. There will always be a market for the consoles. unfortunately for me, there will only be a certain type of game i will play on one. oh, waiting for San Andreas for the
PC....(mouse look/fire

May 3, 2005, 22:17
Re: Eh... May 3, 2005, 22:17
May 3, 2005, 22:17

Regardless of how you feel about consoles; do you really believe that we'll ever see a console title with the level of innovation that Max Payne had? I don't.

Wow..grats on the most retarded statment thus far.

Grats

Lol a first person shooter with a over the shoulder view that adds the super unique slow down mode(because obviously max payne invented this) was orginal.

I was going to list about 5 recently released games that are more innovative then anything the pc has released in the past few years, but why, you're probably too dumb to comprehend it.

May 3, 2005, 22:00
Re: Eh... May 3, 2005, 22:00
May 3, 2005, 22:00

after playing the sp demo(thanx for the link allegra) i found it to be an enjoyable game. mouse sense is way high, had to turn it down to 1 before it was normal. i liked the combat and i really like its havoc usage AND the destructive enviroments. only thing is, and i hope its a demo glitch, is that everytime a grenade went of my screen went solid grey. only happened with grenades, other explosions were fine. the demo was pretty short for such a massive install as well.

May 3, 2005, 21:59
Re: Eh... May 3, 2005, 21:59
May 3, 2005, 21:59

It's clear you have no idea of whats avaialble on consoles currenty. If anything PC games need to catch up with consoles in terms of innovation.
It's probably worth pointing out that a PC gamer's list of "best of all time" games is going to include a lot of relatively low-profile stuff, while the only PC games that console owners hear about are the mega-hyped releases like Doom 3. It should be obvious, then, that it works both ways and PC gamers just aren't going to hear a lot about many (if not most) of the really great console games, because all they notice is the latest Mario or Zelda hype-fest.

No subject
May 3, 2005, 21:36
No subject May 3, 2005, 21:36
May 3, 2005, 21:36

Instead of Half-Life, HL2, Dues-Ex, System Shock 1/2, Max Payne and the many PC games I've left out that had cool/unique/memorable features about them, we'll get homogenized console games.

The simple fact of the matter is that the game industry has gone Hollywood. It was inevitable. The publisher sweatshops will continue to churn out games that are the equivalent of junk food. These people shouldn't be wasting so much time on games, it would make more sense to be in the oil business if all you're after is $$$.

But guess what, you people continue to buy it, so they'll keep putting it out. Who's fault is it? Stop buying shit console games and maybe they'll start to listen!

May 3, 2005, 20:51
Re: Eh... May 3, 2005, 20:51
May 3, 2005, 20:51

Regardless of how you feel about consoles; do you really believe that we'll ever see a console title with the level of innovation that Max Payne had?

It's clear you have no idea of whats avaialble on consoles currenty. If anything PC games need to catch up with consoles in terms of innovation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

May 3, 2005, 20:46
Re: Eh... May 3, 2005, 20:46
May 3, 2005, 20:46

I can't deny the business realities and what M$ does is no different than what $ony does in terms of buying out devs. Considering the R&D associated with console development, it's no surprise that the only two remaining consoles are products of global mega-corporations like MS and Sony. Don't take my $ signs to mean I'm anti-capitalist though. I just can't help lament the end of PC gaming as we know it.

Instead of Half-Life, HL2, Dues-Ex, System Shock 1/2, Max Payne and the many PC games I've left out that had cool/unique/memorable features about them, we'll get homogenized console games.

Regardless of how you feel about consoles; do you really believe that we'll ever see a console title with the level of innovation that Max Payne had? I don't.

I'm sorry now for all the Valve/Remedy/3DR bashing I have done over the years. All the delays/gaffes that we've seen from PC devs now look trivial.

This from the last good SW movie seems to fit the best:

"Only now, at the end, do you understand."

Re: pc vs consoles
May 3, 2005, 20:32
Re: pc vs consoles May 3, 2005, 20:32
May 3, 2005, 20:32

"Where do you think EA gets its 2+ billion dollars per year from?"

Satan.

May 3, 2005, 20:28
Re: Eh... May 3, 2005, 20:28
May 3, 2005, 20:28

There's a Pariah single-player demo on the official website from what I've been told.

www.pariahgame.com

Maximum PC May 2005 magazine has it in their bonus disc(where I got mine)

EDIT:
http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/demos/pariah_sp_demo.exe
or
http://www.pariahzone.de/include.php?path=content/download.php&contentid=88
This comment was edited on May 3, 20:33.

May 3, 2005, 20:15
Re: Eh... May 3, 2005, 20:15
May 3, 2005, 20:15

ign gave pariah a 7.8, similar to unreal 2 reviews and even doom3. i enjoyed both so i hope i'll enjoy this. i think i'll install unreal 2 again. currently playing thru farcry...again. last week it was half-life 2.....again. the week before that was doom3 and its expasion. oh how i do love my fps'

May 3, 2005, 20:10
Re: Eh... May 3, 2005, 20:10
May 3, 2005, 20:10

Well, my interest is really single-player. Over the countless years, I have grown bored with basic deathmatch. Beside selling my soul to WoW, few multi-player (or aspect of) games have truly excited me: D3D, JK, TFC, DoD.
I would have sold my GC, too, if not for Zelda
My next purchase will be Psychonauts (EB has it in stock now - for PC - but its shipments have been lagging due to its impending death) and I will wait for a Pariah demo before I consider purchasing it.

Always looking for something new; worried about playing NWN again,
Ray

-----
May 24th, 2000. The day I learned that Looking Glass was no more.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

May 3, 2005, 20:08
Re: pc vs consoles May 3, 2005, 20:08
May 3, 2005, 20:08

generally the ones that bitch the most probably dont play console games tho wouldnt u agree? i play both and i never complain

I do play both, and I complain, mostly because both sides are beginning to take the worst crap of the other.

PC Games are being dumbed down to the extent where a retarded 12 year old can play them without ever having to *gasp* read a manual, and console games are getting more and more bugfilled ever since consoles went online, because now there is a way to patch, so Q&A becomes obsolete.

That said, I still enjoy games, it's just become more and more aggravating to find the enjoyment in current day products (although there are, ofcourse, some exceptions).

Creston

May 3, 2005, 20:01
Re: pc vs consoles May 3, 2005, 20:01
May 3, 2005, 20:01

This is the only way we're going to see AAA titles in the future because the days of multimillion dollar budgets for standalone PC games is just about finished. You can either buy a console and look foward to a game, buy the PC port or get nothing at all.

Sadly, I have to agree with Hump. I don't think it will be 100%, but the large majority of games are going to be cross platformed. This doesn't HAVE to be an issue, but I think history has shown us that, apart from a few exceptions, these games fall generally far short of what PC gamers have come to expect.

I do have to say, btw, that Microsoft is doing a good job with the Xbox and Live. There are some excellent games out for that thing, and apparently Live works very very well. (Can't say for sure 'cause I don't have it).

Btw, Hump, Publishers make plenty on games. Where do you think EA gets its 2+ billion dollars per year from? It's the developers that in general don't make very much. Mostly because the publisher takes quite a chunk.

Creston

May 3, 2005, 19:48
Re: pc vs consoles May 3, 2005, 19:48
May 3, 2005, 19:48

No, I don't play consoles at all. What makes it worse is when M$ goes from developer to developer with a trash bag full of money to get them to write their games for the xbox.

and this is different from Sony's method in what way?

Its the nature of the business. Its how things have been done for years. I know its supposed to be standard operating procedure to trash MS but to be honest, I think they've done a pretty damn good job of handling their games division. The fact is, publsihers are making very little on PC games. The smaller consumer base, the difficulty in developeing for a machine that has an infinite number of configs, the cost of support not to mention a hyper critical audience makes it quite easy to see why things are going the way they are. If you people hate the way Pariah was made (read; part of a cross platform release) then you have some heartache coming. This is the only way we're going to see AAA titles in the future because the days of multimillion dollar budgets for standalone PC games is just about finished. You can either buy a console and look foward to a game, buy the PC port or get nothing at all.

I like the first two options personally.....

Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

49 or 39
May 3, 2005, 19:46
49 or 39 May 3, 2005, 19:46
May 3, 2005, 19:46

Pariah will be in most major retail stores this week for an estimated retail price of US$49.99 on Xbox and US$39.99 on PC

Wasn't there a debate about this recently? As is evident here, console games are consistently higher-priced than PC games. Moreover, console games take a lot longer to drop in price than PC games do.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older