Out of the Blue

Yesterday's trip to introduce Gunnar to his Uncle Sparky went great, everybody got along famously, and by the end 14-year-old Sparky was horsing around with the youngsters like he was a puppy himself. Gunnar did leave a submarine-sized turd in the bedroom, but it cleaned up pretty readily, and he was forgiven for his toilet training shortcomings. This morning, however, Hudson the wonder dog resumed her recent spate of picking on the other dogs in her trail-running pack, focusing on large males and unfamiliar faces, as she seems quite determined to exert her dominance over the group as alpha dog... if this continues as it is, I may actually have to stop taking her out to run with this crowd, which would be a shame.

Who knows what links lurk in the hearts of men? Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Links of the Day: The Time Traveler Convention. Thanks Brian.
You're fired. Thanks Ant.
Story of the Day: Berman: Trek needs a rest.
Down Under cemetery given OK to bury dead standing up.
Washington Bureaucrats Make Way for Ducklings.
Science: Testing a Sun-Powered Space Sail.
Auction of the Day: Barris Motor Car Collection. Thanks Devicer.
Images of the Day: Scandals 3.
Teh Funnies: FoxTrot.
Follow-ups: Bill Would Outlaw Sale of Copied Cats.
Scientists: Life on Mars Likely.
NASA Scrubs Shuttle Launch. Thanks Loonybomber.
View : : :
94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Puppy Poo
May 2, 2005, 12:33
Puppy Poo May 2, 2005, 12:33
May 2, 2005, 12:33

Last week I avoided a nasty situation. My roomates new puppy decided to drop a log right in front of my bedroom door, thankfully he found it before I went surfing on the poo.

Re: Attention Rick Berman
May 2, 2005, 12:29
Re: Attention Rick Berman May 2, 2005, 12:29
May 2, 2005, 12:29

I like Voyager and I like Enterprise. Most criticism of Enterprise I have seen was based on nothing - feeding on the vague pre-existing notion that "everyone" hates Enterprise, or stuff like knee-jerking in reaction to the intro song (which I didn't mind, either). That's not to say there aren't some people who genuinely have things about Enterprise which stop them from enjoying it.
Not all Enterprise episodes were great - for instance, I thought the inclusion of the Nazis was really over the top, but then again, the same is true for all sci-fi series I know: SG1 certainly has a lot of stunningly bad episodes, and so do TNG and DS9 or the original series for that matter. It's just fairly easy to ignore the bad episodes in retrospect.

May 2, 2005, 12:26
Re: Attention Rick Berman May 2, 2005, 12:26
May 2, 2005, 12:26

There's little else in the world then experiencing your favorite dish turn to utter garbage. The same can be said for television shows.

D'oh. Dang edit button.

Meant to say There's little else in the world more dissapointing than experiencing your favorite dish turn to utter garbage. The same can be said for television shows.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

May 2, 2005, 12:23
Re: Attention Rick Berman May 2, 2005, 12:23
May 2, 2005, 12:23

Create another DS9, or TNG, and Star Trek would EASILY regain its former ratings.

I think it's a combination of the 2 phenomenon. The problem is that Voyager was garbage (or below-average at best) and Enterprise was horrible up until recently. Even if they managed to come up with a kick-ass new show a lot of people will just be turned off due to the last two shows. They'll think it's not worth it anymore.

Let's look at an example. I've been going to a restaurant on-and-off for a few years now. Their service was great, their food wonderful, and the price was acceptable. They had my favorite dish of ALL TIME, prepared just the way I like it.

Then something changed, I can only assume it is under new management. The food isn't as good, in fact my favorite dish is friggin horrible now. It's messier and unorganized. They raised the prices. In all it turned into a real dive, and I've since given up on the place especially after I think it made me sick once.

Even if a friend came up to me and told me the restaurant cleaned up it's act I'd probably never go there again. They've lost me as a customer, which I can only assume has happened with a lot of casual 'Trek viewers.

There's little else in the world more dissapointing than experiencing your favorite dish turn to utter garbage. The same can be said for television shows.

-Fry, Futurmama
This comment was edited on May 2, 12:47.
-Fry, Futurama

Attention Rick Berman
May 2, 2005, 12:15
Attention Rick Berman May 2, 2005, 12:15
May 2, 2005, 12:15

You are a fucking idiot. Trek does not "need a rest", it needs a GOOD FUCKING SERIES.
People didn't watch Enterprise not because they were tired of Trek, they didn't watch it because it FUCKING SUCKED.
The last good series was DSN9, which ended a decade ago. Since then, you've seen fit to foist Janeway, Harry Kim, Neelix, and the totally absurd captain Archer and his Merry Band of Retards on us.

Create another DS9, or TNG, and Star Trek would EASILY regain its former ratings.

But no, it's far better to just let the franchise die, right?
Fuck, why do the best franchises always wind up in the hands of total utter morons??

Creston

Re: No subject
May 2, 2005, 11:51
PHJF

Re: No subject May 2, 2005, 11:51
May 2, 2005, 11:51
 PHJF

oh, that's wrong with post editing.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

May 2, 2005, 11:50
PHJF

Re: No subject May 2, 2005, 11:50
May 2, 2005, 11:50
 PHJF

What's wrong with post editing?

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

May 2, 2005, 11:38
Re: No subject May 2, 2005, 11:38
May 2, 2005, 11:38

On an unrelated topic...

Blue,

When will post-editing come back ?

-Fry, Futurmama
-Fry, Futurama

May 2, 2005, 11:37
Re: No subject May 2, 2005, 11:37
May 2, 2005, 11:37

Enterprise was horrible, but this season they went back to their roots. They got someone else in charge of most of the show (instead of Berman) and it was doing alright.

But then they hit us with a 1-2-3 punch of dreck.
1) Archer gets a trio of Orion Slave Women who take over the ship
2) Dark Universe pt 1
3) Dark Universe pt 2

Unfortunately it's HORRIBLE first and second seasons sealed the deal. I really have NO idea what they were thinking, basing the series on the worst of plot premises of all time (Temporal Cold War and then a cool-looking Death Star). IF the whole series had been like this season it would have had a chance. But unfortunately...

Yeh, Galactica kicks serious scifi booty.

-Fry, Futurmama
-Fry, Futurama

May 2, 2005, 11:31
nin
Re: No subject May 2, 2005, 11:31
May 2, 2005, 11:31
nin

Gunnar did leave a submarine-sized turd in the bedroom, but it cleaned up pretty readily, and he was forgiven for his toilet training shortcomings.

Little too much information there, Blue.

edit:
Berman: Trek needs a rest.
Trek: Needs a rest from Berman.

May 3rd, 2005 - "We are preparing to destroy you." http://www.nin.com
This comment was edited on May 2, 11:33.

May 2, 2005, 11:27
DDI
Re: No subject May 2, 2005, 11:27
May 2, 2005, 11:27
DDI

Good? Enterprise was the worst so far in a line of steadily declining Star Trek franchises. It deserved to be put down.

Battlestar Galactica is the best sci fi show out right now.

May 2, 2005, 11:26
Re: No subject May 2, 2005, 11:26
May 2, 2005, 11:26

Well, Battlestar Galactica is great. But it's on SciFi so a lot of people can't watch it.

Personally I liked parts of the recent "Dark Universe" episodes, but it was mostly nastalgia. Seeing the set for an old ToS style bridge was a hoot as was the old uniforms. Kind of like "Trials and Tribulations" was one of my favorite DS9 episodes.

SG-1 is getting pretty stale. It has its moments but I think they should just cancel it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the series and have a couple of seasons on DVD box sets but sometimes I feel like they're dragging it on too far (like the X-Files were).

Atlantis will probably last around 3 or 4 seasons, and while nowhere near as good as SG-1 was in its prime it's "decent" SciFi for now. But I don't think it has the "staying power" SG-1 had so I don't think it will hit as many seasons.

We need some GOOD SciFi shows on the air besides Galactica. Firefly was great but it's long-since dead (and some didn't think it was Sci-Fi enough). Ironically, the one network that should provide more and better SciFi series isn't doing its job. It's providing us dreck tv films like "Mansquito" and "Man-Thing" and ignoring series (except for their precious StarGate fanchise).

I miss Showtime's SciFi shows. They were great. They had SG-1, Odysee 5, Jerimaih (sort of SciFi).

-Fry, Futurmama
-Fry, Futurama

No subject
May 2, 2005, 11:17
No subject May 2, 2005, 11:17
May 2, 2005, 11:17

I dont know if Trek needs a rest or not... but that last couple of shows with the evil mirror universe were bad as a motherfucker - especially the theme music

it really sucks that the show is going off the air... seems like every good sci-fi show has got shot down in the last few years

i think the only thing that put SG-1 where it is now is that they were able to take all the fans from the X-files when it was over... i couldnt see it being as successful as it is if it hadnt been at the right place at the right time...

of course now its so locked in, you can expect some kind of Stargate show to be on for a very long time

- Subhumans 1982

Hoo-ray!
May 2, 2005, 11:13
Hoo-ray! May 2, 2005, 11:13
May 2, 2005, 11:13

I was counting on a doggy post this morning, but the doggy-turd inclusion is a surprise bonus!

Thanks, Blue!

94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older