Out of the Blue

Yesterday's trip to introduce Gunnar to his Uncle Sparky went great, everybody got along famously, and by the end 14-year-old Sparky was horsing around with the youngsters like he was a puppy himself. Gunnar did leave a submarine-sized turd in the bedroom, but it cleaned up pretty readily, and he was forgiven for his toilet training shortcomings. This morning, however, Hudson the wonder dog resumed her recent spate of picking on the other dogs in her trail-running pack, focusing on large males and unfamiliar faces, as she seems quite determined to exert her dominance over the group as alpha dog... if this continues as it is, I may actually have to stop taking her out to run with this crowd, which would be a shame.

Who knows what links lurk in the hearts of men? Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Links of the Day: The Time Traveler Convention. Thanks Brian.
You're fired. Thanks Ant.
Story of the Day: Berman: Trek needs a rest.
Down Under cemetery given OK to bury dead standing up.
Washington Bureaucrats Make Way for Ducklings.
Science: Testing a Sun-Powered Space Sail.
Auction of the Day: Barris Motor Car Collection. Thanks Devicer.
Images of the Day: Scandals 3.
Teh Funnies: FoxTrot.
Follow-ups: Bill Would Outlaw Sale of Copied Cats.
Scientists: Life on Mars Likely.
NASA Scrubs Shuttle Launch. Thanks Loonybomber.
View : : :
94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: No subject
May 2, 2005, 18:48
Re: No subject May 2, 2005, 18:48
May 2, 2005, 18:48

"TNG was the last good thing they did. Everything else sucked. The ST movies always suck."

Disagree. ToS movies 2,4, and 6 were quite good (about as good as sci-fi gets on film in fact. How the Hell could anyone not like the second or fourth film? Instant nerd de-qualification right there Halsy). TNG movies 2 and 4 were good (4 I personally liked but I know some people can't stand it).

American Dad was funny as hell, especially the news anchors. The Simpsons was crap, perhaps its time for them to fire all the writers and hire a bunch of new ones (which they do every few years anyway, so it isn't a big deal). God Bless the Evil Rupert Murdoch for being the world's biggest hypocrite.

I don't see how anyone can call BSG sci-fi considering the complete lack of any thematic interest in technology or science whatsoever. Could say the same thing about Enterprise in fact...but at least the ST movies attempt to have something to say that's remotely intelligent.

Of course, since I can't even find a decent sci-fi BOOK lately, maybe my standards are just getting too high.

Re: Attention Rick Berman
May 2, 2005, 18:47
Re: Attention Rick Berman May 2, 2005, 18:47
May 2, 2005, 18:47

Well I would still like to get the last season of ds9 on dvd.

The uber space battles really impressed me.

Then again all Trek movies can't be as good as The Wrath of Khan.

May 2, 2005, 17:40
Re: Attention Rick Berman May 2, 2005, 17:40
May 2, 2005, 17:40

TNG was the last good thing they did. Everything else sucked. The ST movies always suck.

Was great to see Family Guy back last night. American Dad was lame.

"I am an evil giraffe, and I shall eat more leaves from this tree then prehaps I should, so that other giraffes may die"
- Eddie Izzard
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Re: Can we change the topic?
May 2, 2005, 17:25
nin
Re: Can we change the topic? May 2, 2005, 17:25
May 2, 2005, 17:25
nin

We have our local fair going on in our area, and the local cops are having a hey day busting drivers for not stopping for people in the crosswalks....

There's a church right down the street from where I work. Every day, at noon (right about the time I'm coming back from lunch, in my car), they have mass. But NO ONE uses the crosswalk to get to the church, instead, just crossing in the middle of the street.

I have the INCREDIBLE urge to yell "REPENT JAYWALKERS!!!!!", but I've never brought myself to do it...yet.

May 3rd, 2005 - "We are preparing to destroy you." http://www.nin.com
This comment was edited on May 2, 17:26.

May 2, 2005, 17:24
Re: Can we change the topic? May 2, 2005, 17:24
May 2, 2005, 17:24

it's highly unlikely anyone will take the few minutes needed to crack your WEP.

I don't see how anyone could easily crack a well made WEP password. Mine is like 20+ digits of totally randomized letters and numbers...

I want to wipe them off the face of the earth with the fury of God's own thunder ...
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

May 2, 2005, 17:21
Re: Can we change the topic? May 2, 2005, 17:21
May 2, 2005, 17:21

Honking at people as they try to use the crosswalk, and nearly running them over...

We have our local fair going on in our area, and the local cops are having a hey day busting drivers for not stopping for people in the crosswalks....

I want to wipe them off the face of the earth with the fury of God's own thunder ...
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

May 2, 2005, 16:34
nin
Re: Can we change the topic? May 2, 2005, 16:34
May 2, 2005, 16:34
nin

Could you teach me the ways of being evil?
I will start smoking and clubbing baby seals and everything!

Off the top of my head: Honking at people as they try to use the crosswalk, and nearly running them over...

That's Evil!

Also, making a half-assed space based game, selling it over and over for 10 years, and banning people from your board when they ask a technical question.

That's Evil!

Next!

May 2, 2005, 16:16
Enahs

Re: Can we change the topic? May 2, 2005, 16:16
May 2, 2005, 16:16
 Enahs

That's because you're not truely evil. You just want to be because it's what all the cool kids do!

Could you teach me the ways of being evil?
I will start smoking and clubbing baby seals and everything!

.sigs are for losers…
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

May 2, 2005, 16:09
Re: Can we change the topic? May 2, 2005, 16:09
May 2, 2005, 16:09

I never would have thought of that

That's because you're not truely evil. You just want to be because it's what all the cool kids do!

May 2, 2005, 16:05
Enahs

Re: Can we change the topic? May 2, 2005, 16:05
May 2, 2005, 16:05
 Enahs

Three people within a “minute” time span (two on the same minute) on the server suggest checking your credit report…..

Yeah…you better listen to us!

.sigs are for losers…
- W. C. Fields

May 2, 2005, 16:03
Enahs

Re: Can we change the topic? May 2, 2005, 16:03
May 2, 2005, 16:03
 Enahs

On the evil side of things, consider this -- as long as there's an unprotected WAP nearby, it's highly unlikely anyone will take the few minutes needed to crack your WEP.

Ya know…that is quite good! I never would have thought of that, but I got to admit…I do love it!

.sigs are for losers…
- W. C. Fields

May 2, 2005, 16:02
Re: Attention Rick Berman May 2, 2005, 16:02

I'm one of the few (apparently) who liked Voyager, but I couldn't stomach the new series. I tried to watch 3 or 4 episodes in the first series and an occasional new episode here and there, but it never felt like Star Trek to me and overall I just thought it was blah.

Nemisis was terrible, I can't say it was much worse than any other Star Trek film as they all rapidly declined in quality from the 1st.

The new BSG series on Sci-Fi is freakin incredible, I only got to see a couple of episodes of Firefly before it was yanked and from my understanding, they were aired out of order and minues the pilot episode...which would explain why many couldn't follow what was going on. The trailer for Serenity looks awesome and I eagerly await the release of that film.

Bad series, bad movie...nothing to do with oversaturation of the franchice, just too much crap

Bronco

Re: Can we change the topic? May 2, 2005, 16:02
 Bronco

Seriously, I'm paranoid about it now. I know it was wrong to have such sensitive info on a network drive, but my mom needed access to her tax files from 2 computers and at the time I didn't think much about the security.

Ugh. Oye. Oh my.

You may want to get a credit report run on each person in your family.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com
teh m4y0r ownz a GabeN b4ckp4k
http://www.azurebrigade.com
- WoW Guild / Board
-TPFKAS2S

May 2, 2005, 16:01
Enahs

Re: Can we change the topic? May 2, 2005, 16:01
 Enahs

So, how screwed am I. Seriously, I want to know!!!

Not very, probably.

Accessing a shared drive over wi-fi is a lot different than just having a wi-fi card search and auto config to access the internet; which is odds of what happened. Hell, sometimes people using the internet on your connection might not have intended, there wi-fi card just hit on that signal and it some how got selected.

Plus, if someone did access it, it was more than likely a neighbor….and you would have to be a fucking retard to do identify theft with your neighbor…especially if it was via a method that could have been logged.

I would just take it as a lesson learned and check your credit report and then move on.

.sigs are for losers…
- W. C. Fields

Re: Can we change the topic? May 2, 2005, 16:01

Potentially? Totally. The only thing you can do is fix your security (done) and watch your credit card statements and credit reports. That's it. If you find out that you are a victem of identity theft then you can file a report w/ the police department and start having fun trying to get things fixed.

Odds are, however, that if nobody has abused the data yet, they're not going to.

As for banddirector's question -- I presume you have no idea whose networks are unprotected, so knocking on their door isn't really viable. The only thing I can think of is to logon to their network and send them a message via net send (Windows Messenger service). Of course, if they disabled that service, aren't running Win XP/2k, are running with a firewall, or several other things I'm forgetting then they'll never see it.

On the evil side of things, consider this -- as long as there's an unprotected WAP nearby, it's highly unlikely anyone will take the few minutes needed to crack your WEP.

May 2, 2005, 15:40
Re: Can we change the topic? May 2, 2005, 15:40
May 2, 2005, 15:40

I have a wireless network at home (which is reasonably secured with passwords, WEP, etc.) and this weekend, just out of curiosity, I looked to see if there were any other wi-fi stuff going on in my neighborhood. Sure enough, there were 5 other networks my laptop could pick up, 3 of which were absolutley unprotected - - I easily could access them and surf on someone else's dime.

Yeh, I made that mistake once. And I kid you not that my mistake keeps me up at night.

We have a wireless network at my house. Normally it's running 128-bit WEP and has a white-list of MAC addresses, and the whole internet connection is behind a firewall. It's not air tight, but good enough for my tastes.

At one point, my brother had friends over for a LAN party so I disconnected the AP from our main network and they used it for their little sub-network. To make things easier I disabled my security and such.

When they were done I put the AP back on my network so I could browse the Internet with my laptops wirelessly. Unfortunately a few months later I noticed some strange traffic going on. I found out some people were using my network to access the Internet and browse our network. Then I remembered I disabled my wireless security for my brother's party and almost sh!t my pants.

Now, this was only mildly scary, but what's worse is that we have stuff on shared network drives. BIG stuff like our TAX RECORDS, online receipts, serial numbers for purchased software (some of which belongs to my company). They had access to ALL of it.

I know one of the people that accessed the network; she's a banker across the street so I don't think I have to worry about her. But there are some high school kids in the houses around me, and sometimes it keeps me up at night as to how bad things might become due to my stupid mistake. I mean through the tax files they theoretically have access to our social security numbers and bank account numbers. Identity theft for dummies!

Meanwhile, I always thought that I always had security through environment. May last AP could barely leave the room so I figured my new one couldn't leave the house. I guess my new one is better than I thought because all my immediate neighbors could access it.

Seriously, I'm paranoid about it now. I know it was wrong to have such sensitive info on a network drive, but my mom needed access to her tax files from 2 computers and at the time I didn't think much about the security.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama
This comment was edited on May 2, 15:50.
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

May 2, 2005, 15:37
Enahs

Re: Can we change the topic? May 2, 2005, 15:37
 Enahs

Being the good neighbor that I am, I want to warn these idiots that their networks are unsecure. Without turning into a criminal ha><or myself, is there a way to do this?

I personally would have no problem just going and talking to them…I however might decided not to tell them….if I thought they would ask me for help on securing them…as I am too lazy for that.

Unless it was a chick.

.sigs are for losers…
- W. C. Fields

nin
Re: No subject May 2, 2005, 15:37
nin

I have never watched this show - ever. Not sure I should start now either.

At least rent season 2 when it comes out later this month...the Rick James skit and the one where they go to play basketball at Prince's house are a riot!

Not to mention that Sesame Street parody with the puppet thats anatomically correct, and the crabs...

May 2, 2005, 15:34
Enahs

Re: Attention Rick Berman May 2, 2005, 15:34
May 2, 2005, 15:34
 Enahs

(Sekret message to Z: stupid b**** didn't have the exams graded from last week.

I am taking an upper level math class this semester, there are only 6 other people in it. The test are fairly easy…on average everyone is gone in under 35 minutes.

So far, the fastest this professor has gotten back a test is THREE FING weeks….god damn is that annoying!

.sigs are for losers…
- W. C. Fields

May 2, 2005, 15:28
Bronco

Re: No subject May 2, 2005, 15:28
May 2, 2005, 15:28
 Bronco

Dave Chappelle starts on May 31st!!!

I'm Rick James, bitch!!

I have never watched this show - ever. Not sure I should start now either.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com
teh m4y0r ownz a GabeN b4ckp4k
http://www.azurebrigade.com
- WoW Guild / Board
-TPFKAS2S
94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older