Guild Wars Launches

Today marks the official launch of Guild Wars, ArenaNet's free-to-play MMORPG:
Thursday 28 April 2005/... ArenaNet®, creators of the highly anticipated online roleplaying game Guild Wars®, and NCsoft® Corporation, the world's leading developer and publisher of online computer games, today announced that Guild Wars is available at retail in Europe, North America and Australia.

Guild Wars is the ultimate global online RPG, a transporting experience that transcends the boundaries of geography, technology and language. Play with anyone, anywhere, at any time and there's no subscription fee required. Guild Wars immerses players in a colorful, robust and detailed online fantasy world where success is determined by player skill, not by the time spent playing.

"By bringing together the best elements of action, roleplaying and massively multiplayer games we have created a unique gameplay experience that appeals to casual and core players alike," Mike O'Brien, ArenaNet co-founder said. "Players throughout Europe, North America and Australia will now be able to compete in the Guild Wars world together."

Players must select eight of the more than 450 available skills to build competitive characters for each battle. Challenging gameplay forces players to use their heads and make good decisions in a brains-over-brawn battlefield. Dramatic guild challenges, tournament play and arena combat provide a unique game experience each time players log on.
View : : :
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

No subject
Apr 29, 2005, 13:53
Prez

No subject Apr 29, 2005, 13:53
Apr 29, 2005, 13:53
 Prez

Well, for what it's worth, despite my rudeness, I'm not some dumb idiot who calls Guild Wars an MMORPG just because it's an online game.

Exitium, I dont' agree with you. It is simple as that. If that makes me a 'dumb idiot', then so be it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: No subject
Apr 29, 2005, 12:19
Com
Re: No subject Apr 29, 2005, 12:19
Apr 29, 2005, 12:19
Com

You can make an argument that Starsiege Tribes games are require individual servers, so to go from one game to another you have to jump servers. Whatever, there are so many details like this that how does one even go about determining where to draw the line? My point is that Guild Wars is not so far separated from being a "massively multiplayer" experience that someone should take offense when people refer to it as that.

Apr 29, 2005, 11:41
Re: No subject Apr 29, 2005, 11:41
Apr 29, 2005, 11:41

I guess that makes 128 player games of Starsiege Tribes "massively multiplayer", then.

Apr 29, 2005, 11:16
Com
Re: No subject Apr 29, 2005, 11:16
Apr 29, 2005, 11:16
Com

From what I played in the beta, you can meet up with hundreds of people in town to trade, craft, get quests and assemble parties. You can choose to participate in PvP with any other party on the server. From what I've seen you can have up to 64 players at the same time in a single PvP arena. You can also travel to a particular town at any time to meet up with any player on the entire server (not just your "shard").

How does this not fit the word "massively"? Where in the word "massively" does it specify that all people have to be in the same instance (with the exception of "shards" huh) at the same time at all times? Just because past mmorpgs worked like that, doesn't mean every future mmorpg has to work like that.

Apr 29, 2005, 10:26
Re: No subject Apr 29, 2005, 10:26
Apr 29, 2005, 10:26

Hmmm. Such a child...
Well, for what it's worth, despite my rudeness, I'm not some dumb idiot who calls Guild Wars an MMORPG just because it's an online game. It's hardly massive - 8 player games can scarcely be considered massively multiplayer. Multiplayer, yes; massively, no. To state that the game is 'massively multiplayer' due to the number of people playing it is illogical, because it would imply that games like CounterStrike and Diablo II are in fact, massively multiplayer as well, which they certainly aren't.

Apr 29, 2005, 10:23
Re: No subject Apr 29, 2005, 10:23
Apr 29, 2005, 10:23

I think we got your point within the first five insulting posts you made. Following every half-articulate argument with an insult really doesn't help convince people of your point of view you know. Just a suggestion.
Half articulate? Please tell me you're joking. It's one thing to insult me for my point of view (rude and brash as they may be) but insulting me for inarticulate posts due to the high volume of 'slanderous remarks' contained within the post is hardly an appropriate argument to use against me.

Re: Guild Wars
Apr 29, 2005, 09:41
Re: Guild Wars Apr 29, 2005, 09:41
Apr 29, 2005, 09:41

"Calling Guild Wars an MMORPG is exactly like saying that HL2 is more like MYST than an FPS. Dumbass"

I think ppl didnt read that comment carefully. I agree with this statement. GW is less of an MMORPG and more of a supersized extended diablo. That't not to say you can't compare it to MMOs, pluses and minuses to both types. But one thing I'm glad I wont have to deal with GW: named monster camping.

Guild Wars
Apr 29, 2005, 05:14
Guild Wars Apr 29, 2005, 05:14
Apr 29, 2005, 05:14

* Magic the Gathering like skill system
* skill based, teamplay oriented
* no monthly fee

Card Game + Retards = Fun

If you dont get it, move on, hehe.

Guild Wars is not Diablo its a game of skill and fun with people in Guilds. Its cards I mean skills and fighting and stuff. Its cool. You will always have retards I mean friends to back your woose arse up I mean character because no 1 vs 1.

Shadowbane must of been for the hardcore, Guild Wars is Shadowbane lite but with cards and perhaps better graphics.

Sorry Shadowbane fullfilled my desire to kill avatars and join guilds. I pass on this one but the hype is thick is it not?

Go Go Guild Wars.

No subject
Apr 29, 2005, 02:45
No subject Apr 29, 2005, 02:45
Apr 29, 2005, 02:45

Well, it's a revolutionary game wits lots of fresh ideas, a new buisness model and it's different.

People, don't be afraid of change, welcome it!

Apr 29, 2005, 01:54
Com
Re: No subject Apr 29, 2005, 01:54
Apr 29, 2005, 01:54
Com

kobalt, internet's top cockfighter

Apr 29, 2005, 00:42
Prez

Re: No subject Apr 29, 2005, 00:42
Apr 29, 2005, 00:42
 Prez

Calling Guild Wars an MMORPG is exactly like saying that HL2 is more like MYST than an FPS. Dumbass.

Hmmm. Such a child...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 28, 2005, 23:46
Re: No subject Apr 28, 2005, 23:46
Apr 28, 2005, 23:46

lmao, so many haters, do you get a cookie or something for posting your opinion in a thread about a game you don't like? did somebody shove it down your throat? lot's at stake here!

ok kid go the fuck away, you don't get brownie points for trying, and failing to be cute.

lol im so cool cause I dont post an opinion about a game instead I just post off topic bullshit like a retard.

Really the only people complaining about instances are people who normally love to gank/greif newbies and cause other problems to other people for thier own joy. You hate a game that finaly makes PVP fair and more on skill and less on levels and gear.

Well I mean with you're masters in psychology you would be able to classify EVERY SINGLE FUCKING PERSON THAT DISAGREES WITH YOU.

Do you do this everytime someone disagrees with you? Act like a faggot and lump everyone together as if everyone is out to ruin your fun? Let me guess you pissed off someone by being a faggot and they owned you and cried yourself to sleep and want to live in a bubble.

See I can pretend to know human nature while knowning nothing about it too. Get over yourself, faggot.

Cry more

Apr 28, 2005, 23:37
Re: No subject Apr 28, 2005, 23:37
Apr 28, 2005, 23:37

Calling Guild Wars an MMORPG is exactly like saying that HL2 is more like MYST than an FPS. Dumbass.

I think we got your point within the first five insulting posts you made. Following every half-articulate argument with an insult really doesn't help convince people of your point of view you know. Just a suggestion.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
StateOfGaming.org Coming Soon
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

85 wow servers?
Apr 28, 2005, 22:58
85 wow servers? Apr 28, 2005, 22:58
Apr 28, 2005, 22:58

You know what the best about GW, is every person who signs up to play GW, I have a chance to play against. In wow or other MMO's if they don't pick the server that I'm on, I'll never see them or play against them. In GW, you'll never be forced never to not play against somebody because they are on another server. So in a way, WoW is 85x more instanced then GW.

GW will always have a great communtity because there will never be over crowed servers and never any "dead" servers. Yes there are many single player (read: solo) areas, but there are twice as many instanced multiplayer zones. And all you have to do is go to the quest/town zone meet up with a few people and enjoy a hassle free game (unless the people you play with are just totally clueless and or idiots)

Really the only people complaining about instances are people who normally love to gank/greif newbies and cause other problems to other people for thier own joy. You hate a game that finaly makes PVP fair and more on skill and less on levels and gear.

Apr 28, 2005, 22:44
Com
Re: No subject Apr 28, 2005, 22:44
Apr 28, 2005, 22:44
Com

lmao, so many haters, do you get a cookie or something for posting your opinion in a thread about a game you don't like? did somebody shove it down your throat? lot's at stake here!

Apr 28, 2005, 21:23
Re: No subject Apr 28, 2005, 21:23
Apr 28, 2005, 21:23

kobalt I love instancing I dont want millions of players to look at across the field seeing them as you say "hunting and shit",

No one said shit about if instancing is good or bad, so I don't know the fuck you are talking about. You want a game that is completely instanced? why not try nwn? that a mmorpg too?

Halsy, please set the reminders at which I get to tell you how badly DDO fucked up. Start from launch, say in 12 months time.

DDO is made by turbine

it never has a chance

Kobalt, no MMORPG has called it instancing, except WOW.

...are you implying that wow invented the word instancing? I sure as hell heard it used years before development of wow even started. Do all games call it instancing IN THE GAME? no but it's a general term that everyone will know what you are talking about no matter what game. You talk about AO missions and anyone that hasnt played it wont know the fuck you are talking about, you say AO instances and they will know.

I honestly have no idea what your thread is about, the orginal post you were replaying to I was simply refering to why gw is not a mmorpg(as in 95% instanced), not about the word itself.

And yes the term instance has been around longer then ao too, shit I remember discussions on using instances when eq first came out with its all of 2 high lvl mobs(vox and naggy 4 life).

Re: MMORPG?
Apr 28, 2005, 21:16
Re: MMORPG? Apr 28, 2005, 21:16
Apr 28, 2005, 21:16

The Matrix Online does not have any instances - it is the only MMO truly without them.

Talonhook = retarded?

MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online.

Like Hearts.

I think you will find that Hearts has a massively popular online fanbase which does not use instances. I would have been kinder if you hadn't said truly. Saying truly makes you look like a jerk.

Apr 28, 2005, 21:11
Re: No subject Apr 28, 2005, 21:11
Apr 28, 2005, 21:11

Halsy, please set the reminders at which I get to tell you how badly DDO fucked up. Start from launch, say in 12 months time.

Blah blah from some junky earlier asking for 10p to buy a cup of tea. I wish him and his destitute boyfriend all the best.

Kobalt, no MMORPG has called it instancing, except WOW. Every MMORPG after... no. Anarchy Online was the first MMO to have instanced missions. They called them missions. You can get all steamed up about missions but call them missions. Missions. Instace instace insta(n)ce!. WTF. If you're going to get angry about something, and god knows you should, get angry with a legitimate background. Missions.

In fact it may have been EQ that stole the idea and called them instanced. Still wrong. If you're going to play holier than thou then at least credit AO for the concept. However much you hate it. And by it I mean missions.

No subject
Apr 28, 2005, 19:40
No subject Apr 28, 2005, 19:40
Apr 28, 2005, 19:40

I'd really love to see a good FPS thats done in the same vein as Guild Wars. Something that doesn't require a heavy investment of time in the learning curve like Planetside but something more than a typical SP campaign with a generic MP tacked on (although Hellgate: London might fit this bill now that i think about it)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes I dream about....cheese. Here, have a medkit"
- Half Life 2 NPC
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Re: MMORPG?
Apr 28, 2005, 19:35
Re: MMORPG? Apr 28, 2005, 19:35
Apr 28, 2005, 19:35

So Guild Wars is a card game? It does kind of play like that. Point and click, point and click and wait. Excellent high action high strategy there.

I do have to say I had fun kicking ass in my 4 on 4 instance PVP battle earlier (5 for 6 baby).

Honestly though, a game where you can't jump? WTF is that all about?

So you know a player matching server is like GameSpy Arcade. It takes account of people who are online and want to play and then sets up games for them.

Having instances in an MMO is lame because the whole idea of an MMO is to interact with the community. An instance means that there is no community.

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older