Guild Wars Launches

Today marks the official launch of Guild Wars, ArenaNet's free-to-play MMORPG:
Thursday 28 April 2005/... ArenaNet®, creators of the highly anticipated online roleplaying game Guild Wars®, and NCsoft® Corporation, the world's leading developer and publisher of online computer games, today announced that Guild Wars is available at retail in Europe, North America and Australia.

Guild Wars is the ultimate global online RPG, a transporting experience that transcends the boundaries of geography, technology and language. Play with anyone, anywhere, at any time and there's no subscription fee required. Guild Wars immerses players in a colorful, robust and detailed online fantasy world where success is determined by player skill, not by the time spent playing.

"By bringing together the best elements of action, roleplaying and massively multiplayer games we have created a unique gameplay experience that appeals to casual and core players alike," Mike O'Brien, ArenaNet co-founder said. "Players throughout Europe, North America and Australia will now be able to compete in the Guild Wars world together."

Players must select eight of the more than 450 available skills to build competitive characters for each battle. Challenging gameplay forces players to use their heads and make good decisions in a brains-over-brawn battlefield. Dramatic guild challenges, tournament play and arena combat provide a unique game experience each time players log on.
View : : :
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

I sure do loves me some stoopit heads...
Apr 30, 2005, 01:34
I sure do loves me some stoopit heads... Apr 30, 2005, 01:34
Apr 30, 2005, 01:34

Um, yes I do believe I know the definition of persistent. The question is: do you? Well maybe not so here I looked that up for you too...courtesy of Merriam-Webster. I removed some of the definitions that I didn't feel were very applicable to this *ahem* discussion.

One entry found for persistent.
Main Entry: per·sis·tent
Pronunciation: -t&nt
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin persistent-, persistens, present participle of persistere
1 : existing for a long or longer than usual time or continuously: as a : retained beyond the usual period <a persistent leaf> b : continuing without change in function or structure <persistent gills> (CULLED FOR BREVITY)
b : continuing to exist in spite of interference or treatment <a persistent cough>

Does the game world exist for a long time or continuosly? YES
Does the game world continue without change in function or structure?
While it does change to reflect the player's activities, this is also true of other RPG's, especially MMO's. But on a larger scale, the game world does continue without a change in its basic function, so YES.
Does the game world continue to exist in spite of player interference?
YES

I love this quote: "Every mmorpg has this, you could log on early as fuck and be the only one in the area, and its as if the area is real with npcs going about their business.

Does guild wars have this? No"

So it sounds like you're talking about persistent AI, or NPC behavior...in other words, NPC's that have a schedule and will do things without player involvement. No, Guild Wars doesn't have it. But I don't think that persistent AI is a requirement for being an MMO, particularly since persistent AI is a rather recent phenomenon, and MMO's predate its use, which isn't even widespread at this time.

And this one: "How the fuck do you consider having 56 "districts" of 50 players or so "simultaneously player""

Um, because those 56 districts of 50 players are online at the same time. That's what simultaneous means. Don't make me go look that one up too...you should know what it means. So according to your "logic" just because those players aren't all in the same instance, they are no longer online at the same time? So if you and I are both typing on these message boards right now, but I am here and you are wherever you live, that we're not online simultaneously?

School's out. And IGN is hardly the paragon of intelligence that I would take THEIR word on whether Guild Wars is or isn't an MMORPG.

It's so funny...you guys ask for facts to back up OUR claims that Guild Wars fits the definition of an MMO, and then when we do, all you can come back with are your own biased arguments and petty insults.

[EDIT] Oh and actually that little snippet from IGN did get it right...almost. It should read more like this: The first thing that needs to be said is that Guild Wars is not a TRADITIONAL MMO. 'Nuff said.
This comment was edited on Apr 30, 01:39.

Re: IGN impressions - Guild Wars
Apr 30, 2005, 00:44
Prez

Re: IGN impressions - Guild Wars Apr 30, 2005, 00:44
Apr 30, 2005, 00:44
 Prez

How is the burden of proof on those who believe Guild Wars is an MMO game, I wonder. Every place I've have seen it previewed, be it in print or on line has defined it as a MMORPG. This includes many websites and no less than 3 long running magazines. This does not make you wrong, per se, but it seems to me that maybe you ought to lay out your facts intelligently without resorting to insults. I sure would like to have an intelligent discussion, but that cannot happen until some of you grow up.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 30, 2005, 00:20
Re: IGN impressions - Guild Wars Apr 30, 2005, 00:20
Apr 30, 2005, 00:20

argument over, IGN said so. Thats because IGN is always is and always will be 100% correct in thier writings, in what they say and what they give out for scores... yea right. pft. nice try.
Oh sure, just ignore everything else I said to explain why Guild Wars isn't an MMORPG (like the fact that it isn't a persistent world). Nice try.

Re: When in doubt...
Apr 29, 2005, 22:57
Re: When in doubt... Apr 29, 2005, 22:57
Apr 29, 2005, 22:57

Do all games that everyone considers mmorpgs have this? no

I meant to say:

do all games that everyone considers mmorpgs have this? yes

so dont even try it faggots

Apr 29, 2005, 22:55
Re: When in doubt... Apr 29, 2005, 22:55
Apr 29, 2005, 22:55

Fuck you non working edit button

Massively Multiplayer Online = Thousands of players simultaneously playing in the game world, which is persistent and generally rather large.

Are you a retard? Do you not know what the word persistent means? 95% of the game is created on the fly for each individual group/player, unlike mmorpgs.

How the fuck do you consider having 56 "districts" of 50 players or so "simultaneously player"

You mother fuckers need to look at a dictionary some time

Re: No subject
Apr 29, 2005, 22:52
Re: No subject Apr 29, 2005, 22:52
Apr 29, 2005, 22:52

ok then, WHAT key makes a persistent game world then?

Persistent game world means = has areas that for example if it has a war between 2 sides of npcs, even when there is no player anywhere near they continue.

Every mmorpg has this, you could log on early as fuck and be the only one in the area, and its as if the area is real with npcs going about their business.

Does guild wars have this? No
Do all games that everyone considers mmorpgs have this? no

Apr 29, 2005, 22:36
Re: IGN impressions - Guild Wars Apr 29, 2005, 22:36
Apr 29, 2005, 22:36

argument over, IGN said so. Thats because IGN is always is and always will be 100% correct in thier writings, in what they say and what they give out for scores... yea right. pft. nice try.

No subject
Apr 29, 2005, 22:34
No subject Apr 29, 2005, 22:34
Apr 29, 2005, 22:34

ok then, WHAT key makes a persistent game world then?

Apr 29, 2005, 22:25
Re: When in doubt... Apr 29, 2005, 22:25
Apr 29, 2005, 22:25

Honestly I think the whole problem is that players have only ever known one kind of MMORPG, that being the mold of Everquest, and so people automatically assume that if a game isn't just like that, well then it must not be an MMORPG. It really helps if you break it down.

Massively Multiplayer Online = Thousands of players simultaneously playing in the game world, which is persistent and generally rather large.

GW: Check.
GW doesn't have a persistent game world. Fact.

It is not an MMO.
This comment was edited on Apr 29, 22:27.

IGN impressions - Guild Wars
Apr 29, 2005, 22:20
IGN impressions - Guild Wars Apr 29, 2005, 22:20

IGN impressions - Guild Wars
IGN impressions - Guild Wars Apr 29, 2005, 22:20

The first thing that needs to be said is that Guild Wars is not an MMO. There's a lot of misunderstanding going around, but GW is an online RPG that blends elements from Diablo-style online multiplayer, while integrating some MMO elements. The cities and certain dungeon entrances are basically hubs, but once you exit those areas for the wide expanses of desert, rolling hills, and snowy mountains, you'll be flying solo, most of the time. You can teleport instantly back to a town, even during combat, which is nice. And you can also log off at any point. It's kind of annoying to watch yourself die as you answer the phone or go to answer the door, and GW gets rid of this. When you log back on, however, you'll be back at one of the hubs, where people mill around, doing the typical MMO thing--chatting, emoting, and trading.

No subject
Apr 29, 2005, 21:56
No subject Apr 29, 2005, 21:56

I still don't understand on what arguement you people have that doesn't make GW a MMO. I can play with ANYBODY else who plays the game on one server and not limited to 1/85th like WoW. It's like Wow, but being able to jump from Azjol-Nerub to FrostWolf to Ner'zhul to (so on and so on) to find other people to play with. Instead of being forced on one server and hoping you picked the best one, your always free to move around.

If GW doesn't bring Massive Multiplayer Online into a MMO, I don't know what does. Its a different dirrection of a MMO but it is still one. Sure right now battles are limtied to 8v^2 (64) max and I'm sure that GW is going to be watching and learning and adding new content to what players wishes are. WoW lanched in november and they JUST now got a simi real PvP going on... thats 6 monhts? Who's not to say 6 months down the line GW first big content update isn't going to include something like 16v^2 (256)?. Or they maybe even include some non instances zones.

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 21:57.

When in doubt...
When in doubt... Apr 29, 2005, 21:56

...consult the Source. We're going to use facts here, not opinions, as the last poster suggested. Go here first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMORPG

Honestly I think the whole problem is that players have only ever known one kind of MMORPG, that being the mold of Everquest, and so people automatically assume that if a game isn't just like that, well then it must not be an MMORPG. It really helps if you break it down.

Role Playing Game = Creating a character that grows and changes over time, can undertake quests, and engage in socialization with NPCs and other players.

Yeah, I think Guild Wars qualifies. That's fact.

Apr 29, 2005, 19:42
Re: No subject Apr 29, 2005, 19:42
Apr 29, 2005, 19:42

Fundamentally, it comes down to a difference in an individual's own understanding of what a MMORPG, or MMO game of any type, is. By my personal definition, Guild Wars is unequivocally a MMORPG. By someone else's defintion, it may not be. So what. People are different, their opinions will be, too. I am not a 'retard', 'dumbass', or 'idiot' simply because you don't agree with me, am I? Surely we are of enough intelligence and maturity to agree to disagree.

It is certainly not so much a matter of opinion but one of fact. Calling Guild Wars an MMORPG is as inane as calling the earth flat. It doesn't matter if it is in your opinion that the earth is flat, because you fail to bring the facts into evidence of your belief. The burden of proof is upon you.

Likewise, calling Guild Wars an MMORPG just because it is your opinion that it is an MMORPG is a downright idiotic position to hold.

Re: No Plans...
Apr 29, 2005, 19:37
Re: No Plans... Apr 29, 2005, 19:37
Apr 29, 2005, 19:37

Do you believe everything you hear? Why not log in and check out the honor system and the "unfun" stuff. I've been nothing but happy with the "unfun" stuff they've introduced and the honor system has made PVP goal oriented. You can now do and get rewarded for doing it. No other MMORPG has any system like this for reward those that PVP.

What are DAOC and Planetside about, then?

Apr 29, 2005, 17:21
Re: No subject Apr 29, 2005, 17:21
Apr 29, 2005, 17:21

Half articulate? Please tell me you're joking. It's one thing to insult me for my point of view (rude and brash as they may be) but insulting me for inarticulate posts due to the high volume of 'slanderous remarks' contained within the post is hardly an appropriate argument to use against me.

A post with words like "dumbass" in it is certainly not fully articulate. Also, you still haven't helped the credibility of your argument whatsoever by questioning my evaluation of your posts while fully admitting that you unnecessarily insulted people.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Founder of StateOfGaming.org
Commentary & Discussion About the Video Game Industry and Its Future
Coming Soon
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Apr 29, 2005, 16:41
Prez

Re: No subject Apr 29, 2005, 16:41
Apr 29, 2005, 16:41
 Prez

Fundamentally, it comes down to a difference in an individual's own understanding of what a MMORPG, or MMO game of any type, is. By my personal definition, Guild Wars is unequivocally a MMORPG. By someone else's defintion, it may not be. So what. People are different, their opinions will be, too. I am not a 'retard', 'dumbass', or 'idiot' simply because you don't agree with me, am I? Surely we are of enough intelligence and maturity to agree to disagree.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 29, 2005, 15:11
Re: No subject Apr 29, 2005, 15:11
Apr 29, 2005, 15:11

you can make an argument that Starsiege Tribes games are require individual servers, so to go from one game to another you have to jump servers.

You have to jump servers in guildwars too, anet just calls them districts.

My point is that Guild Wars is not so far separated from being a "massively multiplayer" experience that someone should take offense when people refer to it as that.

Comparing guild wars to mmorpgs is like comparing doom 3 to planetside. It's not so much that people take offense but it just sounds retarded.

Apr 29, 2005, 14:42
Kxmode

Re: No Plans... Apr 29, 2005, 14:42
Apr 29, 2005, 14:42
 Kxmode

I have a WoW account and haven't touched it in months. I only hear bad things about the honor system (since I'm a horde), and Blizzard seems to have made things unfun of late. (Enough Wow bashing)

Do you believe everything you hear? Why not log in and check out the honor system and the "unfun" stuff. I've been nothing but happy with the "unfun" stuff they've introduced and the honor system has made PVP goal oriented. You can now do and get rewarded for doing it. No other MMORPG has any system like this for reward those that PVP.

"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Apr 29, 2005, 14:38
Kxmode

Re: No Plans... Apr 29, 2005, 14:38
Apr 29, 2005, 14:38
 Kxmode

Would someone PLEASE create a good MMORPG that has NOTHING to do with elfs, dragons, wizzards, swords, and all the other freaking CLICHE dungeons and dragons crap??

A Tale in the Desert II
Anarchy Online
City of Heroes
The Matrix Online
EVE Online
Mankind
Mimesis
Neocron 2
PlanetSide
Puzzle Pirates
Still Life
The Sims Online
Star Wars Galaxies
Starport
ToonTown Online
World War II Online

...to name a few

"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older