Guild Wars Launches

Today marks the official launch of Guild Wars, ArenaNet's free-to-play MMORPG:
Thursday 28 April 2005/... ArenaNet®, creators of the highly anticipated online roleplaying game Guild Wars®, and NCsoft® Corporation, the world's leading developer and publisher of online computer games, today announced that Guild Wars is available at retail in Europe, North America and Australia.

Guild Wars is the ultimate global online RPG, a transporting experience that transcends the boundaries of geography, technology and language. Play with anyone, anywhere, at any time and there's no subscription fee required. Guild Wars immerses players in a colorful, robust and detailed online fantasy world where success is determined by player skill, not by the time spent playing.

"By bringing together the best elements of action, roleplaying and massively multiplayer games we have created a unique gameplay experience that appeals to casual and core players alike," Mike O'Brien, ArenaNet co-founder said. "Players throughout Europe, North America and Australia will now be able to compete in the Guild Wars world together."

Players must select eight of the more than 450 available skills to build competitive characters for each battle. Challenging gameplay forces players to use their heads and make good decisions in a brains-over-brawn battlefield. Dramatic guild challenges, tournament play and arena combat provide a unique game experience each time players log on.
View : : :
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: MMORPG?
Apr 28, 2005, 16:31
Re: MMORPG? Apr 28, 2005, 16:31
Apr 28, 2005, 16:31

I feel you've over-used the word "instan(c)e". The whole instanced schtick came from WOW but was invented by Anarchy Online. They called them missions. All you're doing is making yourself look like a WOW fanboi instead of a social-commentating badass.

...ok im confused. Do you realize that pretty much everyone mmorpg(as in besides wow) after eq/ac/daoc has had instancing in one form or another?

I'm not seeing how im a wow fanboy here, just because I didn't use the word missions(which btw wouldnt work in other games..if you called instances in eq2 for example it wouldnt make sense, while the word instance is kind of a universal term that can be used in any game).

Anyway, anyone know when this game came out in korea?

Apr 28, 2005, 16:25
Re: MMORPG? Apr 28, 2005, 16:25
Apr 28, 2005, 16:25

INSTANCE INSTANCE INSTACE

Kobalt, while I usually admire you honest simplicity and forthright manner (not to mention the use of "K" instead of "C") I feel you've over-used the word "instan(c)e". The whole instanced schtick came from WOW but was invented by Anarchy Online. They called them missions. All you're doing is making yourself look like a WOW fanboi instead of a social-commentating badass.

Re: No Plans...
Apr 28, 2005, 16:20
Re: No Plans... Apr 28, 2005, 16:20
Apr 28, 2005, 16:20

You got that right it will be drawing a ton of people in and keeping them, what a breath of fresh air this gmae seems to be.

Basically people who can't afford to pay the WOW sub. Oh sure, playing with school kids and junkies will be an absolute blast.

Apr 28, 2005, 16:18
Re: MMORPG? Apr 28, 2005, 16:18
Apr 28, 2005, 16:18

You are all idiots who talked smack about this without full checking it out. This game seems like the perfect fit. No fees?? thats my biggest gripe withthis mmorpg crap.

Uhh..no you are a fucking retard

Everything but some hubs are instanced

let me repeat that in case you need more time to process that(which you probably do)

INSTANCE INSTANCE INSTACE

see, if most shit is instanced it kinda defeats the massive part of mmorpg.

How the fuck can you compare ALL TIMES YOU FIGHT YOU CAN NEVER SEE ANYONE BUT YOUR GROUP OR THE GROUP YOU ARE FIGHTING. For all the bitching of instances in other mmorpgs they all have huge wide open area where you can see hundreds of players in the same area hunting and shit. As in places besides a hub that you cant do anything but mostly chat and trade.

You know what? That sounds like diablo and phantasy star, you know non mmorpg online rpgs.

Crazy shit huh? Don't post here again until you know what the fuck you are talking about tard

Apr 28, 2005, 16:02
Re: No Plans... Apr 28, 2005, 16:02
Apr 28, 2005, 16:02

You got that right it will be drawing a ton of people in and keeping them, what a breath of fresh air this gmae seems to be.

Apr 28, 2005, 15:59
Re: No Plans... Apr 28, 2005, 15:59
Apr 28, 2005, 15:59

This will be the best game of the year.

'nuff said.

Apr 28, 2005, 15:56
Re: MMORPG? Apr 28, 2005, 15:56
Apr 28, 2005, 15:56

You are all idiots who talked smack about this without full checking it out. This game seems like the perfect fit. No fees?? thats my biggest gripe withthis mmorpg crap. We never had to pay anything monthly in the past, so YOU are the ones who is getting screwed for paying that, but hey its your money. I have done everquest I and FFXI online and Everquest II and its all the same crap of starting out in your town area and wacking away to level up and the quests no matter how they put it is just kill this kill that x amount of times and WOW is no exception except maybe alowing a little flexibility for your guy if you dont have a player to group with there is more single player content, but still a fee. This game in my opinion is going to grow enormously and once people catch on the paying mmorpg are going to feel the grind on there income as attendance drops. Go Guild wars!!!!

Apr 28, 2005, 15:53
Re: MMORPG? Apr 28, 2005, 15:53
Apr 28, 2005, 15:53

(can't edit)
From their game synopsis: Guild Wars takes the best elements of today's massively multiplayer online games and combines them with a new mission-based design that eliminates some of the more tedious aspects of those games.

I guess I was wrong.
"Taking the best element from" doesn't mean being one. You were not wrong...

Apr 28, 2005, 15:50
Re: MMORPG? Apr 28, 2005, 15:50
Apr 28, 2005, 15:50

Look at the press release, look on their website. They don't say it's an MMORPG (they actually made up their own acronym). It's the clueless press and gamers that say it is one. If it wasn't for the skill system, I would probably get it. I don't have much gaming time, but it doesn't even deserve the name of RPG if you don't improve yourself over time. If I can't play much, then I'll simply have to do PvP against people of my level (and since everything is instanciated in one single world, where's the damn problem. Allow me to loose a few level if I want to play with someone at a lower level (City Of Hero and Everquest2 did it). I'd rather have 20 skills that can be used when I need them then 100 if I can only pick up 8 at a time. I sure as hell don't want to waste more time selecting the good skill combinaison (or lose competitive advantage) instead of playing the game.

bah I say, bah!
(I'll still try the demo when/if it comes out, I did have some fun in the E3 alpha last year)

Apr 28, 2005, 15:42
Re: MMORPG? Apr 28, 2005, 15:42
Apr 28, 2005, 15:42

I don't think they've every called themselves an MMORPG, the fans did that. I'm also on a wait-and-see for this game. Played the betas.. meh. I'll stick with WoW for now.. gotta get that epic mount.

Edit:
From their game synopsis: Guild Wars takes the best elements of today's massively multiplayer online games and combines them with a new mission-based design that eliminates some of the more tedious aspects of those games.

I guess I was wrong.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 15:48.

Apr 28, 2005, 15:41
Re: No Plans... Apr 28, 2005, 15:41
Apr 28, 2005, 15:41

The Matrix Online, City of Heros, Planetside.......

They are out there.

-Nighthawk

AMD 3200+ XP
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB
1 Gig PC2700
Sapphire Radeon x800XT Platinum Edition
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
200 Gig Maxtor HD
Sony 52x DVD
Plextor 8x/4x/40x DVD Burner

Apr 28, 2005, 15:09
Re: MMORPG? Apr 28, 2005, 15:09
Apr 28, 2005, 15:09

I've never seen how this is an MMO, I think it's just called that to hype up this idea of it being a free MMO when it's not.

Me either, I attribute this mostly to the fact that mmorpg leaving the niche market and people just don't understand what mmorpgs are. So it's easy for a company to say it's a mmorpg and people will beleve them, after all how would they know different unless they played a mmorpg?

Apr 28, 2005, 14:56
Re: No Plans... Apr 28, 2005, 14:56
Apr 28, 2005, 14:56

rock climber: three words. Heroes. City. of. (words not in proper order)

MMORPG?
Apr 28, 2005, 14:33
MMORPG? Apr 28, 2005, 14:33
Apr 28, 2005, 14:33

I've never seen how this is an MMO, I think it's just called that to hype up this idea of it being a free MMO when it's not. Did everyone go WOW! YOU CAN PLAY DIABLO WITHOUT A SUBSCRIPTION! ITS SO MUCH BETTER!! No, why is everyone suckered by this? It's going to end up being an even more shallow version of Diablo, that you have to upgrade every couple months to remain competitive in PVP.

They've said they don't want people to need to grind to get items to win PVP, so the reality there is instead of having to quest for your items for PVP you'll need to buy the upgrades to PVP, otherwise nobody in their right mind would ever buy an expansion and they'll figure that out if they don't know it already.

The PVP is pretty fun, but if they stick to their words about not having an advantage from getting loot in PVE then whats the point of even having it? It's not really fun, the only reason anyone does it is for items. If the items don't mean anything who cares?

Or maybe they are lying about not wanting people with more time to have the advantage, I guess it might be too early to tell. But having 3D lobby rooms does not make it an MMO, when you have to tell your friends meet me in Room 132 instead of meet me in Stormwind...

Apr 28, 2005, 14:31
Re: No Plans... Apr 28, 2005, 14:31
Apr 28, 2005, 14:31

Where did you download the game and buy it? the PlayNC store only has it available for at retailers.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Re: No subject
Apr 28, 2005, 13:58
Re: No subject Apr 28, 2005, 13:58
Apr 28, 2005, 13:58

Nothing in life is free, and this game won't be either. Right, no fixed monthly fees, but when it is all said and done it'll cost you ~$10 a month... if you want the new zones, equipment, spells, etc. And ArenaNet will make it such that you will buy the expansions every 3 months or so. They have a business plan, they want to make money, don't be so naive.

Re: No subject
Apr 28, 2005, 13:33
Re: No subject Apr 28, 2005, 13:33
Apr 28, 2005, 13:33

I played a few beta weekends and was semi impressed. Went out and traded in my old xbox for the CE. Of all the pre-order weapons the one I want is the one with the most requirments to use (the bow). Which I didn't even get until the game went live today. And the Divine Aura? What a bunch of hyped up CE collective shit it is. What does it do? Every time you do an emote you have extra tiny particles around your hands.

And quite honestly this game is a waste of bandwidth. 90% of the time your in your own little instanced area unless you HAVE to have someone else with you to do a quest.

It would have been just as better off actually giving the NPC's a buttload more dialog and turned it into an offline game. Not to mention everyone looks exactly like everyone else.

After playing WoW even with the server problems, this is just another really pretty poor mans version of Diablo.

No subject
Apr 28, 2005, 12:48
No subject Apr 28, 2005, 12:48
Apr 28, 2005, 12:48

Would someone PLEASE create a good MMORPG that has NOTHING to do with elfs, dragons, wizzards, swords, and all the other freaking CLICHE dungeons and dragons crap??

werd

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes I dream about....cheese. Here, have a medkit"
- Half Life 2 NPC
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Apr 28, 2005, 12:35
Prez

Re: No Plans... Apr 28, 2005, 12:35
Apr 28, 2005, 12:35
 Prez

Would someone PLEASE create a good MMORPG that has NOTHING to do with elfs, dragons, wizzards, swords, and all the other freaking CLICHE dungeons and dragons crap??

At least someone created a MMORPG that has nothing to do with a monlthly fee. Man I hope this is successful! Paying $15 a month to play a broken frickin' game is patently ridiculous.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 28, 2005, 12:32
Re: No Plans... Apr 28, 2005, 12:32
Apr 28, 2005, 12:32

Its sorta new idea; a break away from mmorpgs, and I think alot of ppl, myself included, are taking the wait and see approach. In turn that will likely hurt the game the less populated it is, the less its likely able to draw new players in.

I agree with the above though, I'm just tired of the fantasy setting. MXO didn't draw me in either...

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older