Guild Wars Launches

Today marks the official launch of Guild Wars, ArenaNet's free-to-play MMORPG:
Thursday 28 April 2005/... ArenaNet®, creators of the highly anticipated online roleplaying game Guild Wars®, and NCsoft® Corporation, the world's leading developer and publisher of online computer games, today announced that Guild Wars is available at retail in Europe, North America and Australia.

Guild Wars is the ultimate global online RPG, a transporting experience that transcends the boundaries of geography, technology and language. Play with anyone, anywhere, at any time and there's no subscription fee required. Guild Wars immerses players in a colorful, robust and detailed online fantasy world where success is determined by player skill, not by the time spent playing.

"By bringing together the best elements of action, roleplaying and massively multiplayer games we have created a unique gameplay experience that appeals to casual and core players alike," Mike O'Brien, ArenaNet co-founder said. "Players throughout Europe, North America and Australia will now be able to compete in the Guild Wars world together."

Players must select eight of the more than 450 available skills to build competitive characters for each battle. Challenging gameplay forces players to use their heads and make good decisions in a brains-over-brawn battlefield. Dramatic guild challenges, tournament play and arena combat provide a unique game experience each time players log on.
View : : :
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: No subject
Apr 28, 2005, 19:18
Re: No subject Apr 28, 2005, 19:18
Apr 28, 2005, 19:18

Guild Wars is not a MMORPG? Is that the same logic that the guy who said HL2 is more like MYST than a FPS used? Gimme a break, guys.
Calling Guild Wars an MMORPG is exactly like saying that HL2 is more like MYST than an FPS. Dumbass.

No subject
Apr 28, 2005, 19:09
Prez

No subject Apr 28, 2005, 19:09
Apr 28, 2005, 19:09
 Prez

Guild Wars is not a MMORPG? Is that the same logic that the guy who said HL2 is more like MYST than a FPS used? Gimme a break, guys.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: MMORPG?
Apr 28, 2005, 18:38
Re: MMORPG? Apr 28, 2005, 18:38
Apr 28, 2005, 18:38

Guild Wars is an interesting game, but it IS NOT an MMO. BY definition an MMO would have thousands of players in one world at one time, not 8 people in a Deathmatch map.

Lets call this game what it is - a 3rd Person Unreal 2K4 mod. All they are missing is a player matching server which would make it easier to form groups.

And yes, I've PLAYED it for at least 4-6 hours already.
Are you on crack? Stop misrepresenting Guild Wars.

Guild Wars isn't an "8 player deathmatch". For one thing, there is no deathmatch in the game. There are no 1 vs 1 battles. It's always team vs team, and that's how it'll always be. Calling it a deathmatch map is a complete lie.

The game is entirely instanced, and has both PVE and PVP. PVE plays itself out the same way Diablo II and Dungeon Siege do. PVP happens in arenas, which are also fully instanced. Arenas can consist of 8v8, or 8v8v8v8, or 8v8v8v8v8v8 (Hall of Heroes).

There is no 'player matching server' but there are of course lobbies. What the hell is a player matching server, anyhow? I don't recall Ut2k4 ever having any such thing, so why knock Guild Wars for having a feature that no other game has, either? There's however in game guilds, complete with guild halls, and guild vs guild (8v8) battles. The game also has a friends list that allows you to instantly teleport to a friend if he's in a lobby that you've been to (e.g. it wont work if you are still in early PVE areas and your friend is in the latter part of the game and you want to join him ,but he can join you).

Again, don't misrepresent the game. It is not a 3rd person Unreal 2k4 mod. I don't ever recall Unreal having skills. Do you? If anything, the skill system is comparable to Magic the gathering's decks - you can only have 8 skills (or 7 skills and 1 elite skill) at any time during missions or combat areas. You can only change your skills outside of combat.

Apr 28, 2005, 18:18
Re: MMORPG? Apr 28, 2005, 18:18
Apr 28, 2005, 18:18

The Matrix Online does not have any instances - it is the only MMO truly without them.

Guild Wars is an interesting game, but it IS NOT an MMO. BY definition an MMO would have thousands of players in one world at one time, not 8 people in a Deathmatch map.

Lets call this game what it is - a 3rd Person Unreal 2K4 mod. All they are missing is a player matching server which would make it easier to form groups.

And yes, I've PLAYED it for at least 4-6 hours already.

Re: Why I like GW
Apr 28, 2005, 18:13
PHJF

Re: Why I like GW Apr 28, 2005, 18:13
Apr 28, 2005, 18:13
 PHJF

I shall give the straight facts, no bull shit.

Fact #1: I am a massive fan of Diablo games
Fact #2: Guild Wars is built like Diablo
Fact #3: There are a shitload of Diablo fans

There you have it! A quadrillion other players and I have been yearning for more Diablo since that travesty of a patch 1.10 destroyed it. Guild Wars is our shot.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Demo
Apr 28, 2005, 18:07
Demo Apr 28, 2005, 18:07
Apr 28, 2005, 18:07

Anyone know if they are planning on a demo?

I tried the 2nd world preview event, badly wanting to like the game, but left a little bored. However, it may have been because of the class I chose: Mesmer. I am willing to give it another try.

Re: Why I like GW
Apr 28, 2005, 17:58
Re: Why I like GW Apr 28, 2005, 17:58
Apr 28, 2005, 17:58

Jeff Strain was the Lead Programmer and Team Lead in WOW before he left. He also created the entire WOW engine (based on his Warcraft 3 engine) and the entire network backend.

Why I like GW
Apr 28, 2005, 17:46
Why I like GW Apr 28, 2005, 17:46
Apr 28, 2005, 17:46

Hehe, calm down people. If they don't like it, they don't like it.

But I wonder .. what is not to like about Guild Wars?

* global PvP and GvG tournaments and guild rankings
* no shards or realms
* Worlds at War (USA, Europe and Korea)
* tons and tons of great non-linear background story quests
* 30+ very, VERY long PvE main story line missions (remember, this is only the first chapter of the Guild Wars saga, the story will go on with expansion packs)
* lots of PvP and GvG arenas and guild halls (Arena, Siege, Capture the Relic,...)
* Tombs of the Primeval Kings (Capture the Relic, King of the Hill, Team deathmatch, Attack vs. defend,...)
* on-the-fly streaming tech
* great low-latency network code (they actually build their infrastructure for two years, alpha testing servers were down like 3 hours in 2 years)
* awesome graphics and animation (everyone who says otherwise obviously didn't see the game in action)
* great music from Jeremy Soule
* Magic the Gathering like skill system
* skill based, teamplay oriented
* no monthly fee
* dynamic quest system (you can change events since the game is instanced, quests are build every time you enter an area and they take into effect your past experience)
* I could go on and on...

And that of course all from the fingertips of Mike O'Brien, Jeff Strain and Patrick Wyatt who worked on WoW (yes, Patrick worked on WoW), Diablo, Starcraft and Warcraft.

All I can say is - you're missing one of the best games this year if you don't try it. It's a must have.

Now, back to questing.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 17:55.

Re: It's not an MMORPG
Apr 28, 2005, 17:41
Re: It's not an MMORPG Apr 28, 2005, 17:41
Apr 28, 2005, 17:41

The graphics aren't great, and the way characters interact with the environment leaves much to be desired. But at the end of the day I can sign on, get some thinking man's combat (ie not counterstrike), and then go eat dinner. That's why I like the game, it's fun but it doesn't require me to sell my soul to "start to have fun".
Are you kidding? The graphics are awesome.

I just don't get how people can go on and on about how awesome WOW's graphics are, which look like a 3rd person Warcraft 3, and pan Guild Wars for having 'poor graphics' or something ridiculous like that.

Apr 28, 2005, 17:21
Re: It's not an MMORPG Apr 28, 2005, 17:21
Apr 28, 2005, 17:21

Well said about the PVP AKAO and while I have actually never have done that except for PK'ing in like everquest 1 on servers that allow, in guild wars I have a CHOICE. SO I would get the game for the PvE aspect of it, but down the road I may enjoy the PvP side of things so there is many choices that are allowed in this game and if you want to play by yourself you can get henchman, so I think this game appeals to many and THAT'S why its going to be successful if all is stable network wise over time.

Apr 28, 2005, 17:15
Re: MMORPG? Apr 28, 2005, 17:15
Apr 28, 2005, 17:15

kobalt I love instancing I dont want millions of players to look at across the field seeing them as you say "hunting and shit", who gives a flying fu'k. I just want to either a) play alone IF I want to OR b) play with people I know or friend I meet, so therefore instancing will be better for me in the mmorpg I have played in the past I ignore anyone Im not parting with so I dont see your point. Instancing also is kinda cool in this game because you see things happen to the world that you did, you cant do that is the current mmorpg because other people need to do things in the same area. Also everyone will be able to be reached in the world, unlike current mmorpg where you need to pick a server and stick to it, so go ahead continue to play what you have been and pay monthly, and watch people "hunt and shit"

Apr 28, 2005, 17:11
Re: It's not an MMORPG Apr 28, 2005, 17:11
Apr 28, 2005, 17:11

What you all are missing is that Guild Wars offers great PVP. If you're going to compare WoW to Guild Wars,the pvp in WoW is just about worthless. Even with the "Honor System" pvp is crap if you aren't lvl 60. Granted, with Battlegrounds that should be solved to some affect. What Battlegrounds won't change is that you have to be lvl 30 to even participate.

But Guild Wars offers the ability to PVP very easily. More importantly the pvp is about skills, the choices you make,rather than how much you can miss out on real life getting epic gear or getting higher levels. Hell you even get experience playing in pvp.

The graphics aren't great, and the way characters interact with the environment leaves much to be desired. But at the end of the day I can sign on, get some thinking man's combat (ie not counterstrike), and then go eat dinner. That's why I like the game, it's fun but it doesn't require me to sell my soul to "start to have fun".

Re: No Plans...
Apr 28, 2005, 17:09
Re: No Plans... Apr 28, 2005, 17:09
Apr 28, 2005, 17:09

Basically people who can't afford to pay the WOW sub. Oh sure, playing with school kids and junkies will be an absolute blast.

Oh and WOW is like the best game ever because you have to pay a subscription and only mature people have access to credit cards, right? What a pile of horse shit. One look at the WOW forums should dissuade anyone from thinking that WOW is filled with 'mature' gamers, as oppose to the 'school kids and junkies' who populate the Guild Wars servers. Why don't you kiss Blizzard's ass some more.

Apr 28, 2005, 17:07
Re: MMORPG? Apr 28, 2005, 17:07
Apr 28, 2005, 17:07

I sure as hell don't want to waste more time selecting the good skill combinaison (or lose competitive advantage) instead of playing the game.
It's a part of the game. Don't be such a damn schmuck. Have you ever heard someone who plays MTG complain about how he just wants to win all the time without having to come up with proper deck combinations? Well, I suppose I have heard that, and that's what you sound like. Deal with it.

Re: No subject
Apr 28, 2005, 17:04
Re: No subject Apr 28, 2005, 17:04
Apr 28, 2005, 17:04

Nothing in life is free, and this game won't be either. Right, no fixed monthly fees, but when it is all said and done it'll cost you ~$10 a month... if you want the new zones, equipment, spells, etc. And ArenaNet will make it such that you will buy the expansions every 3 months or so. They have a business plan, they want to make money, don't be so naive.
Save the lecture, dumbass.

ArenaNet has plans for an expansion every 5-8 months, not '3 months'. Where do you come up with this shit, honestly? You don't have to buy the expansions to remain competitive in the PvP mode but you'll probably buy them for the content anyhow, and they are priced in the same bracket as other expansion packs, so what's the problem? In most (I should say ALL) MMORPGs you have to pay 15 dollars a month on top of buying the expansions.

In short, you're an idiot.

Apr 28, 2005, 17:03
Re: No Plans... Apr 28, 2005, 17:03
Apr 28, 2005, 17:03

This game sucks. DDO will own all.

"I am an evil giraffe, and I shall eat more leaves from this tree then prehaps I should, so that other giraffes may die"
- Eddie Izzard
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

It's not an MMORPG
Apr 28, 2005, 16:53
It's not an MMORPG Apr 28, 2005, 16:53
Apr 28, 2005, 16:53

Idiots.

Apr 28, 2005, 16:51
Re: No Plans... Apr 28, 2005, 16:51
Apr 28, 2005, 16:51

This game will be ass

Have fun

Apr 28, 2005, 16:42
Re: MMORPG? Apr 28, 2005, 16:42
Apr 28, 2005, 16:42

I dont see how being instanced in particularly bad. Yes MMO is about interacting with others everywhere. But when you're out adventuring with your group and you run into other groups, what REALLY happens? You humbly greet each other, offer help, items and food, smile, bow and be on your merry way? NO! You fight over mobs. You fight over camps. You curse at each other for mob stealing, for training mobs on each other etc etc etc.

On the other hand, if you get in trouble, noone will be around to help. Noone to come and raise. And again being in a real shared world adds alot to the atmosphere. But most of the time all you see is rudeness behind anonymity.

Also there will be no unexpected pvp, no high levels ganking you from out of nowhere. So you see there are pluses and minuses to both implementations.

I'm taking the wait-and-see approach to this game as well. And I'm hoping that it will pick up and be good, but I'm predicting something of a SWG thing here...

Apr 28, 2005, 16:37
Re: No Plans... Apr 28, 2005, 16:37
Apr 28, 2005, 16:37

If you create an plaync account, look under account management and add game (I believe). Then you get the option of buying the game online through plaync.

Review after (~2 hours play)
Laggy. Is there a story like Diablo? So far kind of bleh. 6/10 . I'll play it through and try it out some more, but I'm not too impressed. I think many other online games have a better first impression (CoH, WoW, AO, etc)

Moo

104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older