Out of the Blue

Urg... recovering from a bit of a bellyache from last night. It's bad enough when you realize you are old enough that certain foods don't agree with you, but in this case it was broccoli (maybe Reagan was right about that stuff). Devicer tells me I'm now a candidate for Beano. Yeesh!

If life is a bowl of cherries, why do I always get the Links?! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant and Advocate:
Links of the Day: Pets In Uniform.
Stories of the Day: Star Wars Heading to a Galaxy on the Small Screen. Thanks Dagok.
Arrest Made In Easter Murder. Thanks Bart.
SUV owners get free gas -- courtesy of Uncle Sam.
Science: Earthquake Leaves 'Gravity Scar' on Earth.
Disconnecting Phones and Tumors (registration required).
Images of the Day: Tuds 2005. Thanks EvilToast.
Media of the Day: Kindergarten Cops. Thanks Ant and Compfused.
New 'Batman Begins' Trailer Shows Superhero's Human Side.
Teh Funnies: FoxTrot.
Follow-ups: San Jose Wendy's Fans Undeterred by Finger Fiasco.
Antarctic Glaciers in Retreat from Climate Change.
Appeal to save Hubble telescope.
View : : :
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Kindergarten Cops
Apr 27, 2005, 17:25
Re: Kindergarten Cops Apr 27, 2005, 17:25
Apr 27, 2005, 17:25

"This smacks of parents who probably have no idea how to raise or discipline children. This might not have ever happened with decent parents, but almost certainly wouldn't have happened had the VP been more forceful about anything at all, rather than just letting the child do what she wanted to in that office."

The unfortunate part is, if you discipline a child in the way they should be when they get like this, it is called "child abuse" these days. Yet if you abide by the law (which in this case promotes complete and utter disdain for authority) you are billed as an ineffective parent or guardian. In other words, parents/guardians can't win either way.

I know a lot of people, inlcuding myself, that agree when we got out of hand as children, a good whack here or there never hurt us at all.

Re: No subject
Apr 27, 2005, 12:02
Enahs

Re: No subject Apr 27, 2005, 12:02
Apr 27, 2005, 12:02
 Enahs

So I'm guessing you drink homo milk then. It's the delicacy of a Toronto ghetto!

I guess I belong in the ghetto’s of Toronto!

.sigs are for losers…
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Apr 27, 2005, 11:53
Re: No subject Apr 27, 2005, 11:53
Apr 27, 2005, 11:53

Here I found this in a Canadian-American translation site (which I'm going to submit to Blue as a LotD on Canada Day).

homo milk Homogenized milk. Known in the States as whole milk. Nobody here thinks twice about what images milk cartons with the word "HOMO" in big letters on the side conjure up in the minds of Americans. A friend notes: "The term whole milk is actually used in Canada too, but refers to something different. Homo milk is homogenized milk with a butterfat content of 3.25%. Whole milk is not homogenized (it will separate if left standing for any period of time; this is the milk our parents drank). Almost all milk today is homogenized, although whole milk can still be found if one looks."

So I'm guessing you drink homo milk then. It's the delicacy of a Toronto ghetto!

Mayor Dan
------------
"Take me Jesus, take me Allah, rape me in my room
Torch our days in paranoia while we gorge ourselves on gloom"
ExcessDan

Apr 27, 2005, 11:25
Enahs

Re: No subject Apr 27, 2005, 11:25
Apr 27, 2005, 11:25
 Enahs

Not sure if I want to drink non homogenized milk. I like my milk to not have separate layers.

It is homogenized….well…at least there are no layers.

I am thinking there is a language gap from the products up there and here.
I have been all over US, and every store I have seen “regular” milk.

This is getting confusing.

.sigs are for losers…
- W. C. Fields

Apr 27, 2005, 11:11
Re: No subject Apr 27, 2005, 11:11
Apr 27, 2005, 11:11

I've never seen whole milk in stores before. There is not just cartons, bags or jugs of milk on the shelves that just say "milk" either. Most people I know either drink 0.1-2%. I thought it was weird when I started working in the ghetto of Toronto and buying my milk at the convenience store and seeing how much homo milk they had in stock and were selling.

Anyways, I'm not sure if I want to drink non homogenized whole milk. I like my milk to not have separate layers. The highest % of milk you can see on shelves (at least in Ontario) is homo milk which is 3.25%. Even if you buy chocolate milk it is 1%. Like a previous poster mentioned. Once you drink the lower percentages you can't go higher. You even have to retrain your tastes if you switch between 1 and 2% (which I often due if I don't like the expiry dates they have).

Mayor Dan
------------
This comment was edited on Apr 27, 11:20.
ExcessDan

Apr 27, 2005, 09:54
Enahs

Re: No subject Apr 27, 2005, 09:54
Apr 27, 2005, 09:54
 Enahs

Yep, the sad truth is: fat = taste.

Yep, and Sugar too.

Lots O’ Calories = good taste.

The using 2% instead of whole milk when trying to make cheese sauces and stuff would explain why he has had great failure, not enough fat in it!

Once you get used to 2% like I am, regular milk tastes NASTY... (and anyone used to regular milk will say that 2% or less tastes like it's watered down...)

2% taste watered down…..ecky stuff.

The scariest part is stick boy is using the low calorie low fat stuff when he should be forget the milk and just using “extra heavy cream” (almost pure liquid fat!) all the time!

*edit*

P.S. Stick boy :), fat is a very important part of a healthy diet. Yes it is easy to go overboard, but you need some daily! And being a vegetarian I do not know where you would really get the quantities you need except from certain cooking oils, milk and dairy products.

.sigs are for losers…
This comment was edited on Apr 27, 09:58.
- W. C. Fields

Apr 27, 2005, 09:38
nin

Re: No subject Apr 27, 2005, 09:38
 nin

Regular ole milk is milk that does not say 1%, 2%, skim, low fat, ect…..just “Milk”.

At least, that is how I have always seen it in America in the places I have been. It tastes much better too.

Once you get used to 2% like I am, regular milk tastes NASTY... (and anyone used to regular milk will say that 2% or less tastes like it's watered down...)

May 3rd, 2005 - "We are preparing to destroy you." http://www.nin.com

WarPig

Re: No subject Apr 27, 2005, 09:38
 WarPig

It tastes much better too.

Yep, the sad truth is: fat = taste.

You can almost think of milk as water with milk fat mixed in - the lower the milk fat, the closer you are to drinking water.

And who wants to eat their Coco Pebbles with water?

-------------------------------------------------------
"We're innocent critters squashed on the highway of life!"

GO SEAHAWKS!

Apr 27, 2005, 09:32
Enahs

Re: No subject Apr 27, 2005, 09:32
Apr 27, 2005, 09:32
 Enahs

What is regular ole milk? I thought 2% was regular ole milk.

Regular ole milk is milk that does not say 1%, 2%, skim, low fat, ect…..just “Milk”.

At least, that is how I have always seen it in America in the places I have been. It tastes much better too.

Maybe it is labeled “Whole Milk”….yeah….that’s it!

.sigs are for losers…
- W. C. Fields

Re: Tuds 2005
Apr 27, 2005, 09:07
WarPig

Re: Tuds 2005 Apr 27, 2005, 09:07
Apr 27, 2005, 09:07
 WarPig

I used to be the same way...trust me, dude, between the ages of 25-30, it'll catch up to you.

And how!

GO SEAHAWKS!

Apr 27, 2005, 08:01
nin

Re: Tuds 2005 Apr 27, 2005, 08:01
Apr 27, 2005, 08:01
 nin

I'm 6'1", 130lbs and unable to gain any weight. Calories and fat aren't a concern for me.

I used to be the same way...trust me, dude, between the ages of 25-30, it'll catch up to you.

May 3rd, 2005 - "We are preparing to destroy you." http://www.nin.com

Apr 27, 2005, 01:38
Re: Tuds 2005 Apr 27, 2005, 01:38
Apr 27, 2005, 01:38

I just ate 5 pounds of pasta for a late dinner.

Mayor Dan
------------
ExcessDan

Apr 27, 2005, 01:25
Re: Tuds 2005 Apr 27, 2005, 01:25
Apr 27, 2005, 01:25

I'm 6'1", 130lbs and unable to gain any weight.

Holy shit, dude that's unhealthy. I suppose you could have some extreme sort of ectomorph body but shit, only 130 lbs? Man, I was dangerously underweight when I was about 14 and I think I weighed more and was shorter than you.

Not meaning to be judgemental or mean or some shit, that just isn't a healthy body weight.

Apr 26, 2005, 23:57
Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 23:57
Apr 26, 2005, 23:57

Oh yeah, I enjoyed the tip on grating the cheese first too.

Thanks for the recipe MeatFarts. Going to have to give that a try once I'm done this giant can of nacho cheese.

Mayor Dan
------------
ExcessDan

Apr 26, 2005, 23:55
Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 23:55
Apr 26, 2005, 23:55

What is regular ole milk? I thought 2% was regular ole milk. When I moved away from my family I switched to 1% milk because I thought it was healthier but then I realized I could probably use the extra 1% of fat.

Are you talking about homo milk? I've never had homo milk but the thought of it makes my stomach churn. I believe all the milk costs the same price. I buy the 4L returnable plastic jugs for about $4.29. The price just went up but there is still the quarter deposit.

Mayor Dan
------------
ExcessDan

Apr 26, 2005, 23:36
Enahs

Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 23:36
Apr 26, 2005, 23:36
 Enahs

Now add the cheese. A bit at a time works best, but I'm always impatient and throw the whole pile in. Grate it first though.

When I read that last sentence, I really did LOL!

'm 6'1", 130lbs and unable to gain any weight. Calories and fat aren't a concern for me.

There's no way this will work with 2% milk is there?

Damn boy, you need some meat on them bones!

But uhh….if you are that skinny why do you even bother with 2%? I thought that was more expensive than regular ole milk anyway?

.sigs are for losers…
- W. C. Fields

Apr 26, 2005, 23:16
Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 23:16
Apr 26, 2005, 23:16

Your Blue's News mission, MeatFarts, is to get that tape and get it on the web where we can all see it.

Man I'd love to see that tape again! Sadly, I haven't spoken to any of them in like 12 years or so. Still.. I crack up every time I think about that, so it might be worth getting 'reacquainted', as it were..

Calories and fat aren't a concern for me.

Ok, MayorD -- here's the trick then:

• Melt a bit of butter in your sauce pot, but don't let it get too hot. Just warm enough to begin to crackle ever so gently. How much butter really depends on how much sauce you're trying to make, but it's usually a couple of table spoons or so.

• Now sprinkle a bit of flour into the butter. Keep stirring as you do this, as you don't want any lumps. Again, how much flour really depends on how much butter you've used. You want to make a thin paste -- nothing doughy for sure, but something you'd be proud to call a thin paste. A little flour goes a fair distance here.

• Keep stirring this for a few seconds. What you're trying to do is get the flour to just start going toasty-brown in the butter, but it's tricky to tell when this happens until you get the hang of it, so less time is better here. Main thing is to get the flour evenly combined with the butter, and a bit of cooking will get the flour taste out. You can add some seasonings here if you want. What you've just made is a very basic roux, which is the start of some gourmet shit, so pat on the back

• As you stir, slowly trickle your milk into this stuff. This really works best if the milk is room temperature, but if you're using cold milk, just go slower so you don't cool the butter mixture down too much. Cream or milk will work -- use whatever you have/want. Get it nicely combined and warmed through. None of this is happening over very high heat though.

• Now add the cheese. A bit at a time works best, but I'm always impatient and throw the whole pile in. Grate it first though.

• Now drink beer and figure out what you're going to coat in cheesy goodness. Or just get a spoon and bulk up

-----
I actually get paid for this..
This comment was edited on Apr 26, 23:19.
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Apr 26, 2005, 22:28
Re: Tuds 2005 Apr 26, 2005, 22:28
Apr 26, 2005, 22:28

but it does have a good bit more fat and calories.

I'm 6'1", 130lbs and unable to gain any weight. Calories and fat aren't a concern for me.

Mayor Dan
------------
ExcessDan

Apr 26, 2005, 22:05
WarPig

Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 22:05
Apr 26, 2005, 22:05
 WarPig

The edible missile cracked her upside the head, sending a small cloud of broccoli florets into the air. Laid her out cold for a few seconds that feel like hours on the video. Airborne broccoli is most definitely not to be trifled with!

Oh how I laughed when they showed me that tape!

Your Blue's News mission, MeatFarts, is to get that tape and get it on the web where we can all see it.

MeatFarts, dare to be great - you can do this!

GO SEAHAWKS!

Re: Kindergarten Cops
Apr 26, 2005, 21:46
Enahs

Re: Kindergarten Cops Apr 26, 2005, 21:46
Apr 26, 2005, 21:46
 Enahs

Sure, those flimsy little arms couldn't harm a cute fuzzy wuzzy bunny wabit

Ehh wrong.

If that was a male, and she was trying to hit him at the height she was hitting the woman….any one of those shots could have caused serious pain!

I guess male school principals should start wearing cups to school!

I personally would have no trouble screaming at her to sit down and shut up, and if she continued I would have given her a little slap (not to the face though, not on a child that young).

If that did not work, I would have gone and gotten the fat nerd and gave him a snickers bar to sit on her until the police arrived….but that’s just how I roll.

.sigs are for losers…

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 21:46.
- W. C. Fields
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older