Prince of Persia 3 Announced

A Prince of Persia 3 Teaser Website is now online, dedicated to Prince of Persia 3 (working title), the next installment in the PoP series. The announcement of the game was accompanied by a screenshot sequence, and there are more new screenshots on ToTheGame. Here's the announcement:
SAN FRANCISCO, CA – APRIL 25, 2005 – Today Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest videogame publishers, announced that it is developing Prince of Persia® 3 (working title) for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft, the Nintendo GameCube™ and the PC-CD Rom. Scheduled for release in the second half of 2005, Prince of Persia 3 is the third volume in the award-winning Prince of Persia® franchise. Blending the best features from the first two installments (Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time™ and Prince of Persia Warrior Within™) with the talent, vision and ingenuity of Ubisoft’s development teams, Prince of Persia® 3 will enliven the franchise with a vitality – and plenty of unexpected twists – that will impress and satisfy long-time fans and newcomers alike. Prince of Persia® 3 will be showcased at the Electronic Entertainment Expo May 18 - 20 at Ubisoft’s booth, #1300 in the South Hall of the Los Ange!
les Convention Center.

“Prince of Persia® 3 promises to be THE best instalment in the legendary franchise,” said Tony Kee, vice president of marketing for Ubisoft. “By combining two playable characters in a masterly balanced gameplay, with the perfect mix of acrobatic moves and a compelling storyline, the Prince of Persia will appeal to both Sands of Time and Warrior Within fans alike. The Prince is back to reclaim his kingdom, and he has a few surprises in store…”

About Prince of Persia® 3 (working title):
The Prince of Persia, a seasoned warrior, returns from the Island of Time to Babylon with his love, Kaileena. Instead of the peace that he longs for, he finds his homeland ravaged by war and the kingdom turned against him. The Prince is rapidly captured and Kaileena has no choice but to sacrifice herself and unleash the Sands of Time in order to save him. Now cast out on the streets and hunted as a fugitive, the Prince soon discovers that past battles have given rise to a deadly Dark Prince, whose spirit gradually possesses him. Game features include:

• Play and master two distinct characters: Wield the powers and weapons of two master warriors with different combat styles, attitudes, and histories.
    • Choose your way to fight: Master the expanded Free-Form Fighting system to destroy enemies in your own style; strangle enemies from afar with the deadly Daggertail; or surprise them with full-speed one-shot kills using a brand new stealth art. The choice is yours.
    • Battle freely through Babylon: Dominate enemies on the perilous rooftops, dodge through chaotic streets, and ambush pursuers in dark, underground passageways.
    • Immerse yourself in a dramatic story: Experience unparalleled depth in storytelling as you fight your way through a twisting tale filled with adrenaline, tension and discovery.
    • Manipulate time to surprise enemies: Execute powerful attacks against entire armies by slowing down or rewinding time, or surprise them by using some all-new Sands of Time powers.
    • Experience a masterful blend of gameplay: True to the Prince of Persia® franchise, the game provides a variety of action combat, agility and story-driven puzzles – all masterfully blended together into a rich gaming experience.
View : : :
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
Apr 27, 2005, 10:27
Re: No subject Apr 27, 2005, 10:27
Apr 27, 2005, 10:27

If you stop doing it now then you might get away with it, I really don't know for certain. You'll just have to play it and see...

I did a little more digging into this bug and supposedly, it doesn't happen to everyone every time. A couple of FAQs don't even mention it. I guess I'll just keep plugging through it and see what happens. Man, I hope I haven't been hit by this. I only live about two hours from Montreal and I'd really hate to have to go and smash the game over some poor Ubisoft employee's head.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
StateOfGaming.org Coming Soon
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Apr 26, 2005, 18:56
Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 18:56
Apr 26, 2005, 18:56

So just to make sure I get this right. If I find a time portal and save at the fountain before entering it to change a time period, I won't be able to beat the game?! I really hope you're kidding cause I'm sure I've done that several times. I save immediately when a fountain presents itself...

If you stop doing it now then you might get away with it, I really don't know for certain. You'll just have to play it and see...

Apr 26, 2005, 15:59
Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 15:59
Apr 26, 2005, 15:59

At ANY point during the game, then the last portal in the game doesn't work and you are left stranded. Very aggrevating.

Tell me you're not serious!!!

So just to make sure I get this right. If I find a time portal and save at the fountain before entering it to change a time period, I won't be able to beat the game?! I really hope you're kidding cause I'm sure I've done that several times. I save immediately when a fountain presents itself...

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Parallax Abstraction

Apr 26, 2005, 12:57
Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 12:57
Apr 26, 2005, 12:57

Actually, I bought the GameCube version, which I had to sell so I could buy the PC version so I could finish the game, lol.

So YOU'RE the one who made them think it was selling like hotcakes!!

-----
I actually get paid for this..
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Apr 26, 2005, 12:16
Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 12:16
Apr 26, 2005, 12:16

Also, what are these showstopper bugs that people are talking about? I noticed one person had to trade his Cube version, why was that necessary?

If you have:

• Saved the game before heading into portals
  • Saved the game while the prince was talking
  • Entered a portal without activating it first

At ANY point during the game, then the last portal in the game doesn't work and you are left stranded. Very aggrevating.

Apr 26, 2005, 11:24
Prez

Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 11:24
Apr 26, 2005, 11:24
 Prez

The fact that 'SoT' didn't sell all that well is a crime - it was an excellent game. This puts it in the same category as 'No One Lives Forever' and 'Kohan'. All 3 titles were fantastic, but didn't sell well. UBI felt that all 'SoT' needed was a little tweaking to be a best seller. It's hard to fault devs and publishers for wanting their creation to sell. And when the audience for the first game was so small, it seems there is not much of an audience to alienate by changing. Too bad that it seems 'PoP' is still searching for its hook, instead of just being a great series

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 26, 2005, 10:59
Rob
Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 10:59
Apr 26, 2005, 10:59
Rob

So, they decided to "teenageize" the game to make it more appealing to young males

Why? The average age of a gamer is 29. 2/3 are over 18.

Yet more misdirected marketing.

Apr 26, 2005, 10:31
Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 10:31
Apr 26, 2005, 10:31

Worse than that, it's not just becoming a tired series, it's going in the wrong direction altogether. SoT had a nice blend of action and puzzles, but with WW they focused on action, and now PoP3 is just taking that further(look at the bulleted points, it's all combat except for the last one). The only thing that can explain PoP3 is that either the public is stupid and keeps buying this, or UBISoft is after not figuring out why the ratings for WW were below SoT's. It's simply not as good of a series now, and I think the insane 1-year cycles have something to do with that.

The problem is that despite the almost unanimously stellar ratings for SoT, it didn't sell very well. If I recall, it only barely turned a profit for Ubisoft. So, they decided to "teenageize" the game to make it more appealing to young males by making the Price a dark, angsty guy and by putting trash-talking dominatrix type enemies in it. I am still working on it on the GameCube. There must be something I'm missing about the combat though. I'm at the "past" part of Clockworks & Gears (don't worry, no spoilers coming.) I have to fight a number of ememies here and am finding myself having a very hard time getting through some sections without dying. Maybe I'm not making proper use of combos or something, but I'm finding combat very aggravating. Also, what are these showstopper bugs that people are talking about? I noticed one person had to trade his Cube version, why was that necessary?

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Parallax Abstraction

No subject
Apr 26, 2005, 10:06
No subject Apr 26, 2005, 10:06
Apr 26, 2005, 10:06

This announcement and thread reminded me I have yet to play SoT (I liked the demo but at the time wasn't going to pay full price for what the reviews said is a short game). With this announcement do you think there will be a release of a boxed SoT and WW set ala the recent Call of Duty and United Offensive (which was only $30 and I'm quite happy I waited for it, I was thinking of paying full price for the game and expansion when the expansion first came out, which would have cost 30 for CoD and 30 for OU, so this was half the price!)

I'd pay $30 for both SoT and WW, or $10-$15 for just SoT.

If I just want to download SoT its currently $20 online (but I really prefer boxed product)

And kodus to those out there who remember the original PoP and it's true sequel, The Shadow and the Flame! I still remember the incredibly cinematic (for the time) opening sequence. If the new PoP game FEELS like that I'll be pretty happy. Still not happy enough to pay $40 for 10 hours of fun though.

Apr 26, 2005, 10:01
Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 10:01
Apr 26, 2005, 10:01

Hey -- at least you have the PC version and can hold out for a shred of possibility they might patch it. I bought my copy for the XB and it shipped with the same idiot problems.

Actually, I bought the GameCube version, which I had to sell so I could buy the PC version so I could finish the game, lol.

It's funny now, but I was very pissed off at the time

Game Rankings
Apr 26, 2005, 09:34
Game Rankings Apr 26, 2005, 09:34
Apr 26, 2005, 09:34

Just out of curiosity, I went digging through Gamerankings.com for the ratings of the PoP games. Overall, SoT is in the top 10 list for the Xbox and top 20 for the PS2, but WW barely makes the full top 100 list for the Xbox and misses the PS2 list entirely. It's certainly not a good trend to have going in to this 3rd game.
This comment was edited on Apr 26, 09:36.

Apr 26, 2005, 09:13
Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 09:13
Apr 26, 2005, 09:13

Warrior within was a great game, it carried out all the cool bits of SoT, but with a much more accomplished fighting system.

Yeah, completely. Although I do agree with what others have said in that they also managed to kill off all the charm of SOT with their attempts at dark/brooding. Penny Arcade put it best when they had the Prince grumble "I seethe with generic rage." LMAO. Very fun combat system in WW though. Almost a little too fun maybe, as it did seem to cause the designers to take the ham-fisted 'we need more fights in this section' approach more than a few times..

I still found the puzzling/platforming to be just as fun and engrossing as in SOT, however (and I freaking hated the lame-ass combat system in SOT)

The only problems with WW that I experienced were:

Some monumental bugs - last portal bug anyone?

Crappy in game voice acting - I don't really understand why, because the cutscene voice acting was awesome

Fighting bosses was repetetive - exploiting one weakness over and over for 10 minutes isn't a lot of fun

Agree again. Absolutely appalling.

My personal favorite audio bug was the one which linked all voice dialogue in the game to the "Music Volume" slider, so if you attempted to turn off their shit choice of soundtrack (yet another brilliant touch in SOT they managed to mangle horribly), you never had a freaking clue as to what was going on. Pretty sure that had to do with me not having 5.1 sound or the like, but really...

And I can remember at least one boss that I simply ran away from rather than go through the drudgery of bonking him on the head. Pretty silly (and tricky too, as the camera was relentless in its efforts to focus on the boss!)

It does worry me somewhat that Ubisoft are releasing these yearly now, as WW itself could have done with another 6 months development to kill some of the hideous bugs - which Ubisoft still haven't patched to date I might add

Hey -- at least you have the PC version and can hold out for a shred of possibility they might patch it. I bought my copy for the XB and it shipped with the same idiot problems

Overall, and in spite of the crazy bugs and all, I enjoyed WW far more than SOT, but it does look like they fired all the folks who worked so obviously hard at making SOT such a highly polished release.

I don't have any hope that this POP: New Thing They've Announced will be good at all...

-----
I actually get paid for this..
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Apr 26, 2005, 07:47
Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 07:47
Apr 26, 2005, 07:47

Taking a charming game that prett much anyone of any age could play and enjoy and peopling it with cheesey generic undead hos complete with cringemaking voice acting - "Theres SO much PLEASURE in Paaain" anyone ? - was to my mind a pretty retarded move...

It was even better when they said it after I had just previously lopped their head off 5 seconds ago...

Having said that, it did make it all the more satisfying to wrench their arms out of the socket, that usually shuts them up.

Apr 26, 2005, 06:50
Duc
Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 06:50
Apr 26, 2005, 06:50
Duc

Taking a charming game that prett much anyone of any age could play and enjoy and peopling it with cheesey generic undead hos complete with cringemaking voice acting - "Theres SO much PLEASURE in Paaain" anyone ? - was to my mind a pretty retarded move, and the bosses and bugs sucked, ubi needs to chill out and recapture some of the magic they have lost to the sportsgame development life cycle.

No subject
Apr 26, 2005, 05:01
No subject Apr 26, 2005, 05:01
Apr 26, 2005, 05:01

Warrior within was a great game, it carried out all the cool bits of SoT, but with a much more accomplished fighting system.

The only problems with WW that I experienced were:

• Some monumental bugs - last portal bug anyone?
  • Crappy in game voice acting - I don't really understand why, because the cutscene voice acting was awesome
  • Fighting bosses was repetetive - exploiting one weakness over and over for 10 minutes isn't a lot of fun

It does worry me somewhat that Ubisoft are releasing these yearly now, as WW itself could have done with another 6 months development to kill some of the hideous bugs - which Ubisoft still haven't patched to date I might add

Re: When will they get the numbers right?
Apr 26, 2005, 04:48
Re: When will they get the numbers right? Apr 26, 2005, 04:48
Apr 26, 2005, 04:48

This is NOT PoP 3. It's either PoP 6 or 7

6 if you count Prince of Persia 3D.

When will they get the numbers right?
Apr 26, 2005, 04:02
When will they get the numbers right? Apr 26, 2005, 04:02
Apr 26, 2005, 04:02

This is NOT PoP 3. It's either PoP 6 or 7 (depending on whether you count the Dreamcast game as part of the main series or not). I hate it when they do that, it's like they pretend the first games didn't exist.

Re: Not again...
Apr 26, 2005, 03:17
Re: Not again... Apr 26, 2005, 03:17
Apr 26, 2005, 03:17

Well, see, here's the thing. The second game wasn't a steaming pile of crap, actually far from it. I appreciated the improvements on the original game-- it's not entirely combat-focused or anything, that aspect just happened to be improved-- and the new "attitude" didn't really bother me. I think forum goers' negative response toward the sequel stem largely from the "attitude". But guess what, the game sold quite a bit better than the first, and reviews were almost as good. There might not have even been a third game in the series if stylistically and gameplay-wise they'd made something closer to the original. I say more power to 'em. What they're doing may not fit every nitpicky forum-goer's personal tastes, but frankly I don't think they should give a crap.

-Madguy
http://madgames.adventuredevelopers.com

Re: Not again...
Apr 26, 2005, 03:07
Re: Not again... Apr 26, 2005, 03:07
Apr 26, 2005, 03:07

I played the demo and it completely put me off buying the game. I didn't even bother to warez it to see if the rest made it worth buying...

You missed out on a good game. The demo was misleading, as the ship stage is all combat and no puzzles. The full game is much more balanced and combat really isn't as much of a focus as people make it out to be. In the end, there was just as much platforming and puzzle-solving as in the first game.

Apr 26, 2005, 02:57
Re: No subject Apr 26, 2005, 02:57
Apr 26, 2005, 02:57

Milk-o-rama

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older