Out of the Blue

The walk the doggies and I take on a local trail each morning culminates in a bit of a splash in the swimming area by the river along which the trail runs. Dogs are technically not permitted there, but this is earlier than the beach is open even in season, so we stretch the rules and let the dogs drink and swim. Today as we approached the water some geese were having some sort of territorial squabble over bathing rights, making runs (or swims, rather) at each other, and causing quite the commotion. Suddenly two of them took off on a race upriver, clearly competing as they strained for speed just feet above the water. The other dogs paid no particular attention, but of course Hudson the wonder dog took off up the shore after them, her faithful sidekick Gunnar hot on her heels. I'm not going to try to work this into some sort of punch line, as it's obvious where this is going, which is that this was a genuine wild goose chase, something I had previously assumed is a cliché, but have now seen firsthand. The expression is quite fitting, too, as the geese were about a mile off by the time the dogs were 50 yards up the shore, making the act seem at least as futile as the expression makes it sound.

It's a link thing, you wouldn't understand! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant:
Play Time: Alien Wars. Thanks Compfused.
TigerCross.
Links of the Day: Pimp my shopping cart.
Winston's Lego Computer. Thanks EvilToast.
Tetris Shelves. Thanks EvilToast.
Stories of the Day: Police in Ariz. Seek Monkey for SWAT Team.
UK seeks real-life spy tech 'Q'.
Bush Says Raising Retirement Age a Possibility. And I work seven days a week!
Science: 'Flying taxi' of the future revealed.
COMMANDO-HIDING CREAM.
Robot walks, balances like a human.
Media of the Day: Revenge of the Sith TV Spots Revealed. Thanks [MoE] ^ZuLu^.
High-speed Dance Dance Revolution kid juggling three pins.
Cat Drum. Thanks EvilToast.
Teh Funnies: FoxTrot.
Dr. Fun.
Follow-ups: Apollo 13 engineers receive honor.
Mars rover Opportunity has wheel trouble. Maybe TireRack delivers there?
View : : :
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: boot partition fun
Apr 21, 2005, 12:19
Re: boot partition fun Apr 21, 2005, 12:19
Apr 21, 2005, 12:19

Cheers crispy, hadn't thought of some of that

It's a long term thing, I can't afford for it to go wrong at the moment and be left without a computer

Apr 21, 2005, 09:46
Re: boot partition fun Apr 21, 2005, 09:46
Apr 21, 2005, 09:46

I notice my XP system is slowing down, as is the way of Windoze systems when they have a lot of stuff on them. While I don't want to do a full reformat (far too much stuff to back up) I'd consider doing so if, while doing so, I was to create a separate partition for XP and another for my files. Then I can reinstall Windows every time it annoys me, gets too slow, or so on (every 6-8 months or so) without having to transfer my files to another computer, right?
1) Is this a good idea?
2) How much space should I allow for the XP partition (it's a 120Gb drive)
3) Anyone got any good guides / advice for this sort of thing?

Running Windows with separate system and data drives/partitions is the ONLY way to go, AFAIK. I'd split the drive 50/50 to start. If it turns out you need more space in either direction it's no big deal to resize them using one of the many fine programs out there for doing this (I prefer Partition Magic).

Something else you might want to consider is using the MS Powertoy tool to re-map some of the 'special' Windows folders like 'favorites' and 'documents' (and maybe even your desktop as well) to folders on your data partition for easy backup.

Another thing to consider is that once you have your base Windows install up and running with the programs you consider essential (Firefox, mail client etc.) you might want to use something like DriveImage or Ghost to image that puppy, so that next time you want to reinstall you just restore the 'fresh' image and presto!

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 09:47.
---
Chris.

Re: DDR Juggler
Apr 21, 2005, 08:29
Re: DDR Juggler Apr 21, 2005, 08:29
Apr 21, 2005, 08:29

Yeah, but can he juggle chainsaws?

As the FAQ you pointed to says, juggling chainsaws is no more difficult than juggling clubs.

Except, of course, that when you miss one chainsaw the trouble has only really begun.

Apr 21, 2005, 01:23
Re: DDR Juggler Apr 21, 2005, 01:23
Apr 21, 2005, 01:23

I can't believe nobody else has commented on this video yet. That's some truly impressive coordination. I have trouble rubbing my belly and my head at the same time!

Yeah, but can he juggle chainsaws?

(I'm a fairly good juggler, and when people see me juggle, one of the most common comments is "Yeah, but can you juggle chainsaws? I saw a guy juggle chainsaws!")

Read this before asking a juggler a question:
http://www.jasongarfield.com/faq.html

Apr 20, 2005, 23:16
PHJF

Re: DDR Juggler Apr 20, 2005, 23:16
Apr 20, 2005, 23:16
 PHJF

The Columbus Zoo was actually not very good if you ask me. It's pretty small area-wise. What bugged me most, however, is that their insect/arachnid collection is limited to something like five specimens... and none of them are terribly rare. As I recall Cincinnati had a rather impressive exhibit of our little crawly friends.

I don't know if it was due to the fact that Bohdi, a young elephant, was turning 21 on the day, but it was ridiculously overcrowded.

The only thing that stood out other than the intrepid gorrilas (and their tiny little baby) were the manatees. I would have liked to see the white tiger, but it was off display because their are constructing an Asian exhibit near it's den.

So in the end I would say both Cincinnati and Cleveland zoos are quite more favorable than that of Columbus.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Apr 20, 2005, 18:59
Re: DDR Juggler Apr 20, 2005, 18:59
Apr 20, 2005, 18:59

Have you guys heard this Berkeley lecturer talking about the stolen laptop? It's scary stuff! Torrent file of the mp3 available http://www.prodigem.com/torrents/download/ottomatik/ottomatik-Berkeley_Laptop_Thief.torrent here.

Some guy's going down

DDR Juggler
Apr 20, 2005, 18:05
DDR Juggler Apr 20, 2005, 18:05
Apr 20, 2005, 18:05

I can't believe nobody else has commented on this video yet. That's some truly impressive coordination. I have trouble rubbing my belly and my head at the same time!

Zoo ?
Apr 20, 2005, 17:31
Zoo ? Apr 20, 2005, 17:31
Apr 20, 2005, 17:31

Columbus OH ?...iam giong to be there next week , how is it ??? i've hit 12 zoo's across the country so far -but missed Columbus (i figure if "Jack Hanna" takes up residence there , how bad can it be ?) as long as its better than Cinncinatti ....

Re: No subject
Apr 20, 2005, 15:59
PHJF

Re: No subject Apr 20, 2005, 15:59
Apr 20, 2005, 15:59
 PHJF

yeah, poor little monkey. I visited the Columbus Zoo over the weekend with my family and the gorillas (minding the little baby too young to give a damn) were furious. Just looking in their eyes revealed as much.

Oh well, the orangutangs looked happy.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

No subject
Apr 20, 2005, 15:44
No subject Apr 20, 2005, 15:44
Apr 20, 2005, 15:44

I saw an interview with george lucas this weekend - they asked him if he was going to be doing more starwars and surprisingly he said he has a few tv shows in the works...

so get ready for "Star Wars - the TV show"

wacky shit

so much money, where does it all come from? we're paying for democracy, never mind the bomb... so much money, what does it do? it puts them in power where they shit on you

- Subhumans

Commando-hiding cream
Apr 20, 2005, 14:32
Commando-hiding cream Apr 20, 2005, 14:32
Apr 20, 2005, 14:32

Now that is one ad placement that wouldn't have been out of place in Splinter Cell, even if it doesn't work...

--
"My little kiwi wings weren't good enough for Delores... she had to run off with an ALBATROSS!!! ...So what if they're small? Some women prefer small wings. She wants 'em big? Marry the Space Shuttle, you shrew!! Sob."

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 14:34.

Re: SWAT Monkeys
Apr 20, 2005, 14:19
Re: SWAT Monkeys Apr 20, 2005, 14:19
Apr 20, 2005, 14:19

Poor little minkey. All he wants to do is hang in the jungle and party.

Well, he'll be the employed one buying the bananas for his friends.

*** Warhawk ***

It's not easy being a cast-iron bitch. It takes discipline, years of training... A lot of people don't appreciate that.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Apr 20, 2005, 14:11
Re: SWAT Monkeys Apr 20, 2005, 14:11
Apr 20, 2005, 14:11

Poor little minkey. All he wants to do is hang in the jungle and party. Mankinds cruelty continues unabated.

"Martin Luther was a German fellow who pinned a note on a church door that said, 'Hang on a minute!' Actually, he was German so it said, 'Ein minuten bitte!'"
- Eddie Izzard
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Apr 20, 2005, 13:27
Re: boot partition fun Apr 20, 2005, 13:27
Apr 20, 2005, 13:27

1) Yes
2) Your mileage will wary. I have two physical disks (What I would actually recommend), one XP/Linux disk (160GB), and one data disk (200 GB) They're both filled up with stuff, although I could probably live with a c: of about 60 gigs.
3) No, and CERTAINLY don't pay any attention to me.

Apr 20, 2005, 13:20
Re: SWAT Monkeys Apr 20, 2005, 13:20
Apr 20, 2005, 13:20

whilst lugging a video camera and 2-way radio around

You realize just how small those are nowadays, right? The batteries typically weigh more than the rest of the electronics.

he'd only get sent flying 100 feet with massive internal trauma

Doubt it would even move the sucker 1 foot, much less 100.

But it does seem somewhat pointless -- a vest light enough for it to wear and move is also likely to be poor protection against any gunfire. It should, however, protect against flak and shrapnel, as unlikely as that may be.

Wild goose chase
Apr 20, 2005, 13:09
Wild goose chase Apr 20, 2005, 13:09
Apr 20, 2005, 13:09

That is really funny, Blue. It always seems like cliches aren't as clever until you know of someone who's had it happen to them firsthand. A few years ago, a friend of mine literally slipped on a banana peel while crossing campus -- my friends and I all died laughing when he told us the story.

SWAT Monkeys
Apr 20, 2005, 13:02
SWAT Monkeys Apr 20, 2005, 13:02
Apr 20, 2005, 13:02

I'm trying to picture a 5 lb. monkey running around in a kevlar vest whilst lugging a video camera and 2-way radio around. And I suppose the advantage of the vest would be that instead of a single 9mm round turning the little guy into an instant ketchup stain, he'd only get sent flying 100 feet with massive internal trauma.

Apr 20, 2005, 12:53
Re: boot partition fun Apr 20, 2005, 12:53
Apr 20, 2005, 12:53

I notice my XP system is slowing down, as is the way of Windoze systems when they have a lot of stuff on them. While I don't want to do a full reformat (far too much stuff to back up) I'd consider doing so if, while doing so, I was to create a separate partition for XP and another for my files. Then I can reinstall Windows every time it annoys me, gets too slow, or so on (every 6-8 months or so) without having to transfer my files to another computer, right?
1) Is this a good idea?
2) How much space should I allow for the XP partition (it's a 120Gb drive)
3) Anyone got any good guides / advice for this sort of thing?

No subject
Apr 20, 2005, 12:39
No subject Apr 20, 2005, 12:39
Apr 20, 2005, 12:39

Blue -

We noticed.

You know, you could take a freakin' day off once in a while. Sheesh.

Just make sure you tell us ahead of time.

Re: No subject
Apr 20, 2005, 12:15
Re: No subject Apr 20, 2005, 12:15
Apr 20, 2005, 12:15

They said they wanted a monkey to train.... I can't see the prez having the mental ability to learn.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older