DOOM 3 Add-on & Xbox Dated?

id Software Confirms Next DOOM 3 Invasion Set for Week of April 4 (thanks Frans) is a press release that seems to pin down April 4 as the release date for the Resurrection of Evil add-on for DOOM 3 PC, as well as the Xbox edition of the first-person shooter. The release states that the date is being announced by both id Software and Activision, so it's possible that id is abandoning their signature "when it's done" release date for the PC add-on, which is being co-developed by Nerve Software.
View : : :
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Ok... what you smoking?
Feb 10, 2005, 08:05
Re: Ok... what you smoking? Feb 10, 2005, 08:05
Feb 10, 2005, 08:05

"Go play Aliens vs Predator 1 and 2. "

Now that was a scary game. At least for me. It kept me on the edge more than anything I have played before or since. It was dark, but didn't seem to annoy me as much as Doom, since the enemies were fun to fight.

Feb 10, 2005, 05:21
Re: Ok... what you smoking? Feb 10, 2005, 05:21
Feb 10, 2005, 05:21

System Shock 1 and 2 were both excellent games, and I can see why people thought they were scary....

I actually enjoyed Shock 2 more than 1. I thought the Midwives were some of the most original enemies created and they put up for hell of a fight. My favorite scene was fighting up and down a hallway with one of them, scoot and shoot and take cover behind pillars and whatever else, then finally get close enough to use that light sabre (can't remember what it was called) to kill her off. Fun times.

I guess the Dark Engine was showing its age quite a bit at that point, great action RPGs though.

Yeah...reviewers were saying that when the first Thief was released. It was looking pretty pale when compared to optimized versions of the first Unreal engine; released around that time.

Feb 10, 2005, 03:23
Duc
Re: Ok... what you smoking? Feb 10, 2005, 03:23
Feb 10, 2005, 03:23
Duc

Undying had a nice twist in it as well, finally figuring out how you had been played and getting the celtic scythe and some really nasty magics made a nice transition from 'running scared' to 'out for vengence'.

Re: That seems kinda quick
Feb 10, 2005, 01:08
Re: That seems kinda quick Feb 10, 2005, 01:08
Feb 10, 2005, 01:08

Well, some things were "cheats," but ones that did increase performance while having near-negligible visual differences. Likewise, Doom 3 was NVIDIA's darling while Half-Life 2 was ATI's darling.

As for the cube killing, I suspect it was just a way to force the players to use the new weapon. Other than one initial "What does it look like?" moment, I beat the whole game without using the BFG. To prevent that happening to the cube, you just force it to be needed for a mob/boss...
No stuff? BiA? SC:CT? S4? CoC?
Very interested in Jade Empire (for the PC,)
Ray

-----
ph33r m3h: AY3 H@CE T3H BRAODB@ND IN-TUH-NET!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

That seems kinda quick
Feb 10, 2005, 00:43
That seems kinda quick Feb 10, 2005, 00:43
Feb 10, 2005, 00:43

to be coming out, for what seemed like quite a bit of content they were building.

I'll probably pick up the expansion if there's nothing else around at the time. Otoh, Doom 3 already ran like a castrated whore on my rig, and I can't say I hold much hope that the expansion won't make matters even worse.

What really bugged me is the state Id shipped Doom 3 in. Not so much bugs, but just fucking unoptimized. While it's fine for Patrick Duffy to say "Well, those unpacking optimizations do nothing for the game", I went from 3fps in the marines' corner to about 15fps.

I can't even remember all the bits of optimization that I found scattered all over. The ATI hack from some ati guy who said that Carmack's way of doing it was fucking slow (and which gave me about 20+% extra performance), the unpacking of all the pck files which didn't gain me top performance, but upped my bottom threshold by like 2000000000000% (ie the 3fps vs 15fps), and so on.

It makes you wonder why Id didn't bother to include this stuff. It's like they WANT you to suffer through shitty framerates.

Other than that, I did enjoy Doom 3, it was nicely creepy and eery. Even played through the whole thing twice. Cybey was fucking lame though. Why do you have to (spoiler)

kill him through the soul cube by just killing some imps, instead of wipping out your Phat Guns and pumping 85000lbs of ammo into his ass, like in the good old days? I was VERY disappointed how easy he was to kill. This is CYBEY, for fuck's sake! Voted "toughest scariest monster of all time" like ten years in a row. And now he's 800 feet tall, but goes down like a creampuff with a glass jaw. Great...

Still, it looks the only other thing out around that time is Jade Empire, so I'll probably load up the old shotgun.

Creston

Feb 9, 2005, 23:14
Re: Ok... what you smoking? Feb 9, 2005, 23:14
Feb 9, 2005, 23:14

System Shock 1 and 2 were both excellent games, and I can see why people thought they were scary, but it just didn't scare me really. I mean, there were some nice audio bits, particularly from the Maidens or whatever they were called, but I never jumped out of my seat (literally) as I did with Clive Barker. I guess the Dark Engine was showing its age quite a bit at that point, great action RPGs though.

Feb 9, 2005, 21:54
Re: Ok... what you smoking? Feb 9, 2005, 21:54
Feb 9, 2005, 21:54

I could bash quite a bit, but I think any true scary/horror type game needs to have a few shock moments, but focus heavily on atmosphere and psychological terror.

On just the scare front, Doom 3 was nearly completely "shock" tacticts. I would literally enter rooms backward because I knew some guy was going to teleport in some four feet "behind" me.
No comments about the other issues.........
I still hold the two System Shock games as the scariest games that I have ever played, Undying is another great example, the AvP games had their moments, etc.

Scaring me is a matter of tension. Can I do this? Can I make it? Do I look? How little ammo is left? Where is that noise coming from? What the HELL was that? Please tell me that isn't about to...$$!@$##%, it did! Where the f3k is the damn guy/key/item/whatever??? - The damn monster is about to get me!

Going around and looking/waiting for the next tiring NPC magical teleport spawn did not scare me.

Noting this is a general, thread-wide reply,
Ray

-----
ph33r m3h: AY3 H@CE T3H BRAODB@ND IN-TUH-NET!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Feb 9, 2005, 21:22
Re: Ok... what you smoking? Feb 9, 2005, 21:22
Feb 9, 2005, 21:22

Well, to give the original poster credit he said best horror FPS, not just best horror game. Even if those are the qualifications, I still think Clive Barker's Undying was a better horror FPS than either AvP (yes, being a marine was fun...that was only a 1/3 of the game though) or Doom 3 (which I also enjoyed, but wasn't amazing). I don't know, best horror game? I'm going with Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube. I loved that game. Very Lovecraftian.

Feb 9, 2005, 21:15
Re: Ok... what you smoking? Feb 9, 2005, 21:15
Feb 9, 2005, 21:15

Aliens vs. Predator 1 and 2 were awesome. Scared the crap out of me.

Feb 9, 2005, 20:39
Re: Ok... what you smoking? Feb 9, 2005, 20:39
Feb 9, 2005, 20:39

Nah, best horror game goes to Resident Evil 4. They should port it to PC some day.

Ok... what you smoking?
Feb 9, 2005, 20:19
Ok... what you smoking? Feb 9, 2005, 20:19
Feb 9, 2005, 20:19

Best Horror Game?

Yes having 2 imps pop out of the walls every 5 mins makes it the best horror game evah!!! NOT.

Go play Aliens vs Predator 1 and 2. Just playing as a marine and hearing your motion detector go off for the first time, spinning around trying to figure out where they are coming from makes it one of the best if not the best horror series for the PC.

Re: No subject
Feb 9, 2005, 19:54
Re: No subject Feb 9, 2005, 19:54
Feb 9, 2005, 19:54

...dude, the game was fucking dark.
It was too dark.
And y'know something? I cranked the gamma to some 4.0 bullshit and though the game looked like shit, I still couldn't see a god--damned--thing.

get a grip, the game was fucking dark.

I played it with the gamma at maybe 2 or so (been a while and I really can't remember exactly) and I thought the darkness was perfect for this game. This was a game to be played at a much slower place, a crawl, not to be blown through at 100 mph. The darkness was a tool to assist in this pacing and atmosphere, and it worked. I can't help you if you were expecting something different, but it was widely known what type of game this was before it came out.

*** Warhawk ***

Who elected you leader of this outfit?

I figured it should be the one with the capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the consensus view, then hell, let's put it to a vote.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Re: No subject
Feb 9, 2005, 19:48
Re: No subject Feb 9, 2005, 19:48
Feb 9, 2005, 19:48

Doom3 succeeds for me because it knows what it is. Doesn't try to be more than a simply a game. And as a game it succeeds in every way I think are important. Play balance is there, high production values, awesome sound, etc.. The game has "it", what ever it is, that keeps me playing.

Eagerly waiting to return to hell/mars

Ditto.

I enjoyed HL2 more, but that doesn't mean both games did what they aimed to do, D3 with visuals and lighting and atmosphere, HL2 with physics and story and an atmosphere all it's own.

*** Warhawk ***

I figured it should be the one with the capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the consensus view, then hell, let's put it to a vote.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

No subject
Feb 9, 2005, 19:47
No subject Feb 9, 2005, 19:47
Feb 9, 2005, 19:47

...dude, the game was fucking dark.
It was too dark.
And y'know something? I cranked the gamma to some 4.0 bullshit and though the game looked like shit, I still couldn't see a god--damned--thing.

get a grip, the game was fucking dark.

Re: Why not say...
Feb 9, 2005, 19:43
Re: Why not say... Feb 9, 2005, 19:43
Feb 9, 2005, 19:43

I think the darkness and narrow halls that just continued eventually did not feel like horror, but just annoying. Now, occasional areas like that would have rocked, but the whole game was pitch black, and that does not translate to horror for a lot of us.

Turn up your monitor brightness or replace your broken video card. The game looked fine to me, as most of the game was in somewhat- (sometimes even well-) lit areas. If the whole game was pitch black, you've got problems. Some levels were very dark, but everyone knew some areas would be dark before it was released.

I can't believe people are still complaining about this....

*** Warhawk ***

Feb 9, 2005, 19:18
Re: Why not say... Feb 9, 2005, 19:18
Feb 9, 2005, 19:18

'When it's fun' instead of 'When it's done'."
Lol

I salute this post!

No subject
Feb 9, 2005, 18:21
No subject Feb 9, 2005, 18:21
Feb 9, 2005, 18:21

A game is a game ia a game...
Doom3 succeeds for me because it knows what it is. Doesn't try to be more than a simply a game. And as a game it succeeds in every way I think are important. Play balance is there, high production values, awesome sound, etc.. The game has "it", what ever it is, that keeps me playing.

Eagerly waiting to return to hell/mars

Feb 9, 2005, 17:30
cia
Re: Why not say... Feb 9, 2005, 17:30
Feb 9, 2005, 17:30
cia

doom3 was a repetitive tech demo - there is not much to be expected from another attempt at an already bankrupt single-player experience.

Ok, some people still pay minesweeper, so this is not a judgement against those who could feasibly like Doom3, just an accurate critique of the state of gameplay in this techdemo.

Feb 9, 2005, 17:23
Re: Why not say... Feb 9, 2005, 17:23
Feb 9, 2005, 17:23

"But the way you literally had to fire blindly and hope you killed the enemy was so damn cool. The other one was when i got the chainsaw. "

Why is it that the chainsaw sounds in D3 were more lame than those in Doom? I remember in the orginal when you took out something with it, the sound would wind out like the saw was under stress. In D3, it just gave the same sound all the time.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 17:24.

Feb 9, 2005, 14:51
Re: Why not say... Feb 9, 2005, 14:51
Feb 9, 2005, 14:51

" 'When it's fun' instead of 'When it's done'."

Lol

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older