Out of the Blue

Disclaimer: I have tried to switch to Firefox, but a couple of aspects of my work still work much better with Internet Explorer, so, knowing full well I'll be inundated with Firefox suggestions when ranting about IE (or perhaps in this case, GetRight suggestions), I am indulging myself in a rant nonetheless:

Things to hate about Internet Explorer, Episode 1000... downloading some file in the background, and that insipid dialog box that announces that the file has been downloaded and is now being copied from to the destination you selected jumps to the foreground, just as you are hitting the escape key or Alt-F4 or something that aborts the process in its final moments. This has happened to me twice in the span of a couple of days, each time ruining a lengthy download. Nothing ends up saved or cached, and redownloading the same file takes just as long the second time as the first.

MS spends millions observing the way users interact with their products... I can't believe this useless tidbit remains unaddressed. Am I missing a "don't ruin my lengthy download" checkbox or something?

On a semi-related note, for not the first time, a Mozilla user pointed out they were experiencing mysterious CPU load surges apparently provoked by a Flash ad here... I'd be appreciative is anyone could point the way to a possible cause for this situation as I try to address it.

Links of the Day: Clean-your-screen-for-free-now.com. Thanks Sharon.
Stories of the Day: Super Bowl Special! - The best and worst ads this year.
Pinata tradition taking a beating in birthplace.
Man Fined $600 for Hurling Egg McMuffin.
Thread of the Day: Steam Users Forums - vac ban (America's Funniest Home Threads In the Act!). Thanks Hollowguy.
Science!: Raging Bull.
Why North Americans ain't got rhythm. Well, at least I have an excuse now.
Mini-planet system seen in growth. Like the bathtub scene in Animal House.
Images of the Day: Adding Violence to Non-violent Games on Something Awful.
APOD 2005 February 7 - A Telescope Laser Creates an Artificial Star.
Media of the Day: Air Drop Mishaps.
Follow-ups: NASA plans to bring down Hubble.
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
View : : :
111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Newer

What works better in IE over Firefox?
Feb 8, 2005, 10:11
What works better in IE over Firefox? Feb 8, 2005, 10:11
Feb 8, 2005, 10:11

I see you pointed out the problem you are having with IE...but you didn't mention what the problems were that you couldnt make the switch to Firefox. What are they?

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com

Re: What works better in IE over Firefox
Feb 8, 2005, 10:17
Re: What works better in IE over Firefox Feb 8, 2005, 10:17
Feb 8, 2005, 10:17

What are they?
Probably some silly sites that use ActiveX. That's really the only thing it could be, and Firefox has a plug-in to change that behaviour, I believe.

Feb 8, 2005, 10:19
Re: What works better in IE over Firefox Feb 8, 2005, 10:19
Feb 8, 2005, 10:19

Probably some silly sites that use ActiveX. That's really the only thing it could be, and Firefox has a plug-in to change that behaviour, I believe.

What plug in is that? I use Firefox at work and there are a couple of sites I need to go to at work that use Active X and am forced to switch to Exploder. Would love to dump IE completely.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

Hah!
Feb 8, 2005, 10:22
Hah! Feb 8, 2005, 10:22
Feb 8, 2005, 10:22

Dubai's latest mega-project is a luxury development larger than Manhattan island:

The projects include a $5 billion US theme park, Dubailand, that will be the Middle East's largest tourism and entertainment complex, including shops, restaurants, rides and sports facilities. The attractions, somewhat reminiscent of the big U.S. theme parks, are to include Pharaoh's World, Dinosaur World and a futuristic Space Hotel.

I wonder if that includes the Terrorist Training Ride? I can see the copy for it now...

'Ever wanted to reign death and destruction on the head of the evil American pigdogs? Well, now's your chance at Dubailand's Terrorist Training Ride! Learn the classic chants of Allahu Akbar! and Death to America! Learn to make bombs out of everyday household items and how to kill oneself in deploying them in our mock village full of life like models of civilian men, women and children! Enjoy all the fun of emptying a full clip from an AK-47 into the air while screaming for the blood of the infidel!

Admission to the ride grants you a souvernir heaf scarf or black balaclava you can use to conceal your identity. Come see the simulated version of paradise that awaits you complete with 47 virgins for the taking! All this and much, much more awaits you at Dubailand's Terrorist Training Ride! Book your admission today!'

"Martin Luther was a German fellow who pinned a note on a church door that said, 'Hang on a minute!' Actually, he was German so it said, 'Ein minuten bitte!'"
- Eddie Izzard

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 11:17.
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

No subject
Feb 8, 2005, 10:23
No subject Feb 8, 2005, 10:23
Feb 8, 2005, 10:23

knowing full well I'll be inundated with Firefox suggestions when ranting about IE

Firefox + IEView (extension that lets you open up a link or current page in IE) would be my suggestion. You knew it was coming!

I can't believe this useless tidbit remains unaddressed

It's even worse than that though. The real idiocy is that they are performing a file copy at all. They download to some temp area and then instead of simply moving the file (which would be instantaneous), they copy it. Yes, I know -- if the temp drive was on a different partition/file system than the destination then they would have to do a copy. That's all well and good, except that they NEVER do a move/relink -- they always copy. It's stupid. It also means if you're tight on disk space you can fail to download because you actually need twice the file size in free space.

Of course, there's also the point that they could simply create the temp file in the same directory as the final and just do a rename...

experiencing mysterious CPU load surges apparently provoked by a Flash ad here

Long existing problem, with no clear resolution. It seems to happen most often under XP, can happen to IE as well, and it's unclear if it's a browser or Flash problem:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=238935

A partial fix is to install Flashblock (http://flashblock.mozdev.org/) -- then flash apps have to be clicked on to run. It doesn't solve the root issue, but it can at least help avoid random Flash apps from causing the problem.

Re: Hah!
Feb 8, 2005, 10:30
Re: Hah! Feb 8, 2005, 10:30
Feb 8, 2005, 10:30

I wonder if that includes the Terrorist Training Ride? I can see the copy for it now...

Don't confuse Dubai with Beirut. Dubai is one of the most modern cities out there, both socially and politically. You could liken it to Singapore. True, just like Singapore, it is a police state as well, and just like any place else in the world, there are good points and bad points. But in my 9 years of living there, I only saw one crime take place - that of attempted robbery.

Do some research before you make such egregious comments - otherwise you are no better then those bigots you purpotedly bash. At least Dubai is trying to be an international city with business, technology and entertainment to attract commerce. Cut them some slack.

Edit - speeling

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 10:31.

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

Feb 8, 2005, 10:37
Enahs

Re: Hah! Feb 8, 2005, 10:37
Feb 8, 2005, 10:37
 Enahs

Yeah, just curious what problems you have with FireFox?

_____
Enahs

Hey this is Carl, New Jersey rules you backwards retarded creep.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

North American No Rythym
Feb 8, 2005, 10:39
North American No Rythym Feb 8, 2005, 10:39
Feb 8, 2005, 10:39

North Americans got no rythym because of what else? World domination. All the christians had dancing beaten and tortured out of them back in the what 1800? 1900? You know how I talk about humans evolving into superior beings? One of the methods is dancing. That is why african people and african descendents in North America are so strong and independent. All that stuff about them being genetically different is more lies. If people knew that they could exercise and become strong like africans, maybe basketball or football players, they would start dancing tomorrow. The article talks about music. That particular type of music goes hand in hand with the dancing I am mentioning. They are both how africans get their children to grow into superior human beings. That is also why they are being slaughtered and killed off with AIDS. They are strong so they gotta die. Just like Muslim people. They too retain the old cultural ways that help their people evolve into superior human beings.

On a related note. Remember the machine I recommended for blue to become healthier and a more evolved person? I know you guys think I am joking or a crazee. I am not. The USA governmnet has the president use a machine just like the one I mentioned.

Go look at a picture of Clinton when he first was in office. Then look at a picture of Clinton now. Go look at a picture of Bush when he was first elected. Then look at a picture of Bush now. Both men went from being out of shape with small, skull like heads with prominent features, to men that are in shape with fat heads and flattish faces that are more asian like. Bush changes every year. I can see it because they are always posting photos of him. I saw a picture this morning that had me thinking it was a Bush double because his head looks so different.

No subject
Feb 8, 2005, 10:41
nin
No subject Feb 8, 2005, 10:41
Feb 8, 2005, 10:41
nin

Yo Halsy, could you make that link a little longer?

May 3rd, 2005 - "We are preparing to destroy you." http://www.nin.com

http://www.beck.com/news/ ? Hell Yes!

Feb 8, 2005, 10:47
Re: Hah! Feb 8, 2005, 10:47

"o some research before you make such egregious comments - otherwise you are no better then those bigots you purpotedly bash. At least Dubai is trying to be an international city with business, technology and entertainment to attract commerce. Cut them some slack."

Ya. We gotta keep the muslim collaborators who sell out their people for USA favors from the people who would rather die than live as Isreali slaves. Good Muslims(Isreali Collaborators) Jordan, Abu Dhabi, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Yemen, Qatar, Pakistan and now Palestine with the assasination of Arafat and the takeover by the collaborator Abbas. All bend over any time the white master asks them to.

Pakistan, Yemen and Saudi Arabia are all killing their own people right this very minute in order to please the USA. Pakistan is killing tribals in Wana and Yemen is killing followers of a guy named...Al Houthi I think. They already killed Al Houthi. Jordan and Egypt both repress any political party that says "stop bending over for Israel". This includes jail, torture or killing of political candidates and supporters.

the egg mcmuffin thing
the egg mcmuffin thing Feb 8, 2005, 10:47

600 dollars for throwing it?

wow

swg free and loving it
Doin' it Big

Air Drop
Feb 8, 2005, 10:48
Air Drop Feb 8, 2005, 10:48
Feb 8, 2005, 10:48

Those are too funny. I laughed out loud when the truck came off of the platform and drove itself over a mile. hhahahehehe

/edit: Damn. I keep forgetting that somethingawful is blocked here at work. Have to talk to the security team about that. I mean, come on, there is NOTHING offensive about that page. hehehehehe

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX & Batman
This comment was edited on Feb 8, 12:05.

Feb 8, 2005, 10:50
Re: Hah! Feb 8, 2005, 10:50

Hey, Halsy, can you please shorten that link? It's screwing up the layout. Thanks.

I wonder how long it will be until some terrorist group decides that this blatant show of capitalism (and semi-worship of the American culture) is "anti-Islam" and attacks it? Because, you know, killing your own people is such a wonderful way to get them to support your cause.....

Speaking of theme parks:

Also saw this this morning. There are some pretty sick folks out there. If someone needs to be killed, it is the people who pull this kind of shit on little kids.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,146699,00.html

*** Warhawk ***

Hello, this is Killian. Give me the Justice Department, Entertainment Division.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Re: No subject
Re: No subject Feb 8, 2005, 10:50

In his superior knowledge of everything over us dolts, he doesn't know there are websites that make the links shorter? Geez. Guess common sense eludes him in his higher cloud of thought.

Re: North American No Rythym
Feb 8, 2005, 10:56
Re: North American No Rythym Feb 8, 2005, 10:56
Feb 8, 2005, 10:56

I get tired of the spewing of propaganda. How come you chose this place to do so?

Splinter Cell ad
Feb 8, 2005, 10:59
Splinter Cell ad Feb 8, 2005, 10:59
Feb 8, 2005, 10:59

Is anyone else finding the Chaos Theory ad is chewing up some serious resources on their machine?

It's using up 50% of a 2.4gHz CPU. That's nuts!

--
Edit: That'll teach me for posting before readying the out of the blue doh!

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 11:10.

Feb 8, 2005, 11:01
Re: What works better in IE over Firefox Feb 8, 2005, 11:01

*cough cough*Blue, do it like all he cool guys and use Opera*cough*

--------------------------------------------------
"...you don't see me - 'cause I don't have much to say..."
http://www.gathering.nl

Re: No subject
Re: No subject Feb 8, 2005, 11:01

experiencing mysterious CPU load surges apparently provoked by a Flash ad here...

Can't help you to identify a cause, Blue, but I'll add that the Flash ads here will immediately and completely saturate the CPU on any of the single-processor Macs that I use when browsing here, but not the dual-processor ones.. although the dualie-G4s can come close sometimes.

This seems to be true for Flash ads just about everywhere though, so I tend to blame Flash and/or Safari rather than your site (which is, of course, beyond reproach)..

I'd love it if you took it upon yourself to find a fix for this though

-----
MeatFarts
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Re: Splinter Cell ad
Feb 8, 2005, 11:08
nin
Re: Splinter Cell ad Feb 8, 2005, 11:08
Feb 8, 2005, 11:08
nin

Is anyone else finding the Chaos Theory ad is chewing up some serious resources on their machine?

Same issue here - driving me nuts. I was guessing it was because I'm using an old version of firefox. But I didn't want to take the time to redownload all the extensions for the newer version and reconfig everything...

May 3rd, 2005 - "We are preparing to destroy you." http://www.nin.com

http://www.beck.com/news/ ? Hell Yes!

Re: Splinter Cell ad
Feb 8, 2005, 11:11
Re: Splinter Cell ad Feb 8, 2005, 11:11
Feb 8, 2005, 11:11

still does it with the newest version too.

111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Newer