RattHunter Announced

Game Factory Interactive and Russian developer Secret Sign announce plans for RattHunter, an upcoming first-person shooter. Here's the deal:
RattHunter is a traditional first-person shooter set in a hi-tech environment. It does not push the envelope or bring something fresh to the genre, since we feel that there is little place for innovation in today's action games market. It is, however, solid, polished and smart. Developers lay the emphasis on original ideas in visualization and gameplay design.
The action takes place on a remote planet, which is located in a G-class star system. Its gravity, atmosphere and other conditions are pretty much the same as on Earth. The planet is rich in minerals, and the low depth of occurrence allows for strip mining.

The main character of the game is a freelance reporter who started an independent investigation in order to expose the truth behind the disappearances of workers of a corporate facility. The installation, located on a remote planet, is a primary research site for ROOM, a highly potent "miracle drug". During the game, players will have the chance to use various mechanisms (turrets, cranes) and drives vehicles such as bikes and buggies.
RattHunter features traditional, by-the-book gameplay, which does not wander into the realm of tactical shooters such as Rainbow Six. Players will have to overcome different obstacles and solve various puzzles in order to get to the next level. They will also get to shoot monsters, but there is no goal such as "Kill everyone"; the adversaries are just a device to maintain the tension and further the story. The advanced physics engine used in the game allowed us to create a highly interactive environment.

Features run-down:

– 8 weapon types (a great help in a serious investigation!);
– More than 20 locations filled to the brim with dangerous enemies;
– A wide assortment of adversaries, ranging from horrible genetic mutants, cyborg sentries and corporate mercenaries, each differing in behavior and combat tactics. Some of them hunt in packs, the others may try to outflank or perform a sudden attack;
– Numerous objects showcase the advanced physics engine. They can be thrown, overturn, moved or used for various means (for example, a barricade);
– A thrilling story with sharp plot turns, insidious betrayals and unexpected allies. Dive into the haunting memories of the past and discover the jaw-dropping truth about your real identity;
– Objective-based levels;
– Travel by foot or use bikes, buggies or hovercraft.

Minimum Configuration

Windows 2000/XP, DirectX 9.0с
1.5 MHz Pentium III/Athlon
256 MB RAM
Quad-speed CD- or DVD-drive
DirectX 8-compatible graphics card
DirectX 9-compatible sound card
View : : :
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: I like this press release.
Feb 5, 2005, 18:16
Re: I like this press release. Feb 5, 2005, 18:16
Feb 5, 2005, 18:16

and me only with a 1.4 Mhz

just my luck

I like this press release.
Feb 5, 2005, 16:36
I like this press release. Feb 5, 2005, 16:36
Feb 5, 2005, 16:36

If an unknown Russian developer can muster the courage to apologize in advance for a mediocre FPS, then why can't id Software apologize after the fact?

Re: No subject
Feb 5, 2005, 12:43
Re: No subject Feb 5, 2005, 12:43
Feb 5, 2005, 12:43

It has been mentioned in previous posts, but i'd like to say that what you state as "innovations" have already been done, or do not fall under the innovation definition i described.

Time travel FPS: Not sure about Time Splitters and all that (i'll need to read up on that) but to have a game where a decision you make in the past that affects the future would be way too hard to do. Ok it'll be scripted, it cant be otherwise, but as it has been said Day of the Tentacle did that.

Destructable enviroments mixed with excellent gameplay: Soldiers: Heroes of WW2. Ok it's a TPS, but that had fully destructable enviroments. All that needs to be done is add an FPP to it and its done, and i'm very suprised there wasnt one implemented in there anyway.

FPS leading an entire army: Neigh on impossible to do without making the game have a huge learning curve. Then again Op Flashpoint did it, not quite on an entire army scale, but close enough to. The only way i can see of being able to command 1000+ troops in FPS mode would be to have a static camera on a mountain side, i.e it'd still be an RTS, not and FPS.

The last one is just well, impossible to have. Who wants a 16stone over-weight female heroine? I know most of the gaming public (being male) doesnt want to look at that. A tight ass in some spiffing jeans is much more pelasing on the eye than some rolls in a moo-moo dress.

The only thing i'd class as innovation right now is if they managed to create a game that used a special "helmet" that integrated itself with you. In other words, a game where your thoughts control the character and where the movement of your eyes corresponded to what could be seen on the screen. THAT would be innovation. However chances are by that time games would be exactly like reality.

Feb 5, 2005, 11:53
Re: No subject Feb 5, 2005, 11:53
Feb 5, 2005, 11:53

one of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces

Careful with that axe, Eugene...

Feb 5, 2005, 11:51
Re: No subject Feb 5, 2005, 11:51
Feb 5, 2005, 11:51

Nah - try "Day of the Tentacle" - where your 3 characters end up in 3 time periods and flush stuff to one another through a unique little time travel device.

Feb 5, 2005, 11:50
Re: No subject Feb 5, 2005, 11:50
Feb 5, 2005, 11:50

Dupe post

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 11:51.

No subject
Feb 5, 2005, 10:57
No subject Feb 5, 2005, 10:57
Feb 5, 2005, 10:57

Somebody stupid wrote:
What about a time-travel FPS where you try to shape the present by modifying the past, travelling freely between two time periods?

I wrote:

Try Time Splitters: Future Perfect. Comes out in a couple months for the Gamecube. It is what you describe. You can even encounter your "past" self going through levels.

No subject
Feb 5, 2005, 10:29
No subject Feb 5, 2005, 10:29
Feb 5, 2005, 10:29

one of these days Im going to cut you into little peices

"When the bomb drops it'll be a bank holiday
Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Re: ummm
Feb 5, 2005, 01:50
Re: ummm Feb 5, 2005, 01:50
Feb 5, 2005, 01:50

"The contradictions in this announcement are all, I'm sure, due to the translation into English."

Actually, the original press-release (which is in Russian, as some of you might have already guessed) says the same thing. So no translation mistakes here.

What about a FPS where the lead female character is sensibly dressed and never resorts to sexual innuendo?
Wouldn't it be the most boring FPS of all time?
And, yes, it's been done before. See Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (with Mara Jade).

Full destructable environments coupled with excellent gameplay
See Red Faction. This one basically sucks, but quality of the gameplay and originality are two entirely different things.

But how about some realistic allied squad AI? How about dynamic enemy AI which will shift allegiance and make broad, strategic decisions based on the bigger picture?
It is achievable by advanced programming and good use of resources, rather than innovation.

What about a time-travel FPS where you try to shape the present by modifying the past, travelling freely between two time periods?
I smell Prince of Persia: Warrior Within on this one. We already have a TPS game with time-travel, let's make a FPS one! Hardly an innovation.

What about a FPS where you lead an antire army, on the scale of Rome: Total War, into battle?
Take Operation: Flashpoint and re-create it using today's computing power. Oh, wait... Bohemia Interactive is making a sequel! Hm, nothing new here, as well.
This comment was edited on Feb 5, 02:16.

Feb 4, 2005, 22:17
Re: No subject Feb 4, 2005, 22:17
Feb 4, 2005, 22:17

Midnight: For some reason i really like that Apollo temple shot. very cool.

------
$1 tax for the national debt?
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

Feb 4, 2005, 22:13
Re: No subject Feb 4, 2005, 22:13
Feb 4, 2005, 22:13

let me refute each one of your comments:

Full destructable environments coupled with excellent gameplay has already been mentioned as something of a Holy Grail of the FPS - Merely an improvment on what we have today.

But how about some realistic allied squad AI? How about dynamic enemy AI which will shift allegiance and make broad, strategic decisions based on the bigger picture? - Another improvement as the tech gets better

What about a time-travel FPS where you try to shape the present by modifying the past, travelling freely between two time periods? - would be cool, but already done by day of the tentacle

What about a FPS where you lead an antire army, on the scale of Rome: Total War, into battle? - Command and Conquer Renegade only ona bigger scale.

What about a FPS where the lead female character is sensibly dressed and never resorts to sexual innuendo? - OK you got me there, it would be original and innovative, but never gonna hapen.

------
$1 tax for the national debt?
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

No subject
Feb 4, 2005, 21:30
No subject Feb 4, 2005, 21:30
Feb 4, 2005, 21:30

How can you introduce something "innovative"? Everything has been done to the FPS genre.

My friend, if you truly believe that then you lack imagination. Full destructable environments coupled with excellent gameplay has already been mentioned as something of a Holy Grail of the FPS. But how about some realistic allied squad AI? How about dynamic enemy AI which will shift allegiance and make broad, strategic decisions based on the bigger picture?

What about a time-travel FPS where you try to shape the present by modifying the past, travelling freely between two time periods? What about a FPS where you lead an antire army, on the scale of Rome: Total War, into battle? What about a FPS where the lead female character is sensibly dressed and never resorts to sexual innuendo?

There is still tremendous room for innovation in the FPS, we have barely scratched the surface as it is.

http://www.davidcsimon.com

Awesome
Feb 4, 2005, 21:27
Awesome Feb 4, 2005, 21:27
Feb 4, 2005, 21:27

An honest press release! I for one will actually download the demo for this game and give it a try :).

No subject
Feb 4, 2005, 20:15
No subject Feb 4, 2005, 20:15
Feb 4, 2005, 20:15

All i can say is that at least thedevelopers are being truthful and telling you straight up that they aren't going to try anything new.

yup. I like thsi also

RattHunter features traditional, by-the-book gameplay, which does not wander into the realm of tactical shooters such as Rainbow Six. Players will have to overcome different obstacles and solve various puzzles in order to get to the next level. They will also get to shoot monsters, but there is no goal such as "Kill everyone"; the adversaries are just a device to maintain the tension and further the story.

no glossy PR laden BS. This is the way to market to hardcore gamers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes I dream about....cheese. Here, have a medkit"
- Half Life 2 NPC
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

New innovations...
Feb 4, 2005, 20:12
New innovations... Feb 4, 2005, 20:12
Feb 4, 2005, 20:12

It wasn't my argument but I'll jump in anyway heheh.
Proper destructible environments are long overdue in FPS.
I know it was supposed to be part of Soldner, but from the reviews I've read it sounds like it stinks. Also, I tried the demo a while ago and just got a voice saying 'Soldner!'.
Take a DM game like Soldier of Fortune. Its ok imo - but just plain old deathmatch. But, if all the buildings could be slowly demolished throughout the match it opens up a whole new set of challenges.
I'd like to hear that Carmacks working on such an engine before he jets off for Betelgeuse or wherever...

No subject
Feb 4, 2005, 19:26
No subject Feb 4, 2005, 19:26
Feb 4, 2005, 19:26

All i can say is that at least thedevelopers are being truthful and telling you straight up that they aren't going to try anything new.

Why do people not like this? Painkiller was great fun, just mindless killing with a stake gun. Great game to waste a few minutes on. Serious Sam 1/2 also another brilliant game of just pure mindless killing. What's the problem with it?

How can you introduce something "innovative"? Everything has been done to the FPS genre. Deus Ex combine RPG with FPS, the Quake/Doom series did the mindless killing almost to perfection along with Serious Sam, HL1 had an impressive storyline, Rainbow Six/SWAT3 did the work-as-a-team-to-succeed brilliantly.

Name one thing that has been innovative to the FPS genre in the past year or two. Physics and graphics engines do not count, they are not the innovation i want to hear about: they get updated every 2 years but ultimately they are merely a natural progression to make the game feel more realistic, thus is not innovative. I mean innovative like say in Vietcong where you could actually duck behind trees that were different heights instead of being stuck to a single duck height like in HL1/HL2 etc. etc., or when Deus Ex came out and actually integrated the FPS successfully with an RPG element to make a brilliant game.

Oh and i'm writing this on my dad's Mac G5. This bloody 30" screen is massive. I am in awe. I still hate macs though

Feb 4, 2005, 18:19
JTW
Re: No subject Feb 4, 2005, 18:19
Feb 4, 2005, 18:19
JTW

"It does not push the envelope or bring something fresh to the genre, since we feel that there is little place for innovation in today's action games market."

That's a ridiculous statement.

Nah. They didn't say 'in today's action games genre', they said market. There's lots of room in the genre for innovation. The market, however, is less interested in New Feature #1483.

Re: puntastic reply
Feb 4, 2005, 17:47
Re: puntastic reply Feb 4, 2005, 17:47
Feb 4, 2005, 17:47

Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër ?

See the løveli lakes

The wøndërful telephøne system

And mäni interesting furry animals

Including the majestik RATT

A RATT once bit my sister...

No realli! She was Karving her initials øn the RATT with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law -an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink"...

We apologise for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible have been sacked.

Mynd you, RATT bites Kan be pretty nasti...

We apologise again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked, have been sacked.

Funny, I should watch this agian. It used to be a once a week staple while I was in collage. Wife doesn't care for it much. Serious Sam rocks! Can't wait for Serious Sam 2!

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 17:51.

ROOM Monkeys
Feb 4, 2005, 17:40
ROOM Monkeys Feb 4, 2005, 17:40
Feb 4, 2005, 17:40

If you can take ROOM and get super powers that would be good. If you can sell ROOM for money that would be better, especially if you could hook people and make them do your bidding.

I want my “ROOM monkeys!”

My “ROOM monkeys” and me would do drive byes with 8 different weapon types while riding bikes!

Now that would be GOLDEN gaming.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 17:47.

No subject
Feb 4, 2005, 17:37
Jim
No subject Feb 4, 2005, 17:37
Feb 4, 2005, 17:37
Jim

RattHunter is a traditional first-person shooter set in a hi-tech environment. It does not push the envelope or bring something fresh to the genre, since we feel that there is little place for innovation in today's action games market

Translation: There is absolutely no reason why you should spend money or time on this game.

Jim
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older