Far Cry Patch

A new patch is now available for Far Cry, updating Crytek's first-person shooter to version 1.31 addressing some multiplayer issues. The 9 MB download is available on 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, Boomtown (registration required), FileFront, FileShack (registration required), Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot DLX (registration required), and Worthplaying.
View : : :
85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Scottish Martial Arts & Beamer = ...
Feb 7, 2005, 16:12
Re: Scottish Martial Arts & Beamer = ... Feb 7, 2005, 16:12
Feb 7, 2005, 16:12

Clear and Present Danger is a cool story (Ding Chavez Mother fuckers) but that doesn't mean it is particularly well written or possessing any literary merit.

Sorry I read this and had to respond.

Not well written? No literary merit? Who are you to decide what has literary merit and what doesn't? Have you actually read a Clancy book? Maybe you have. But, his particular realm of writing tends to reside within the genre aply known as the technothriller. Tom Clancy has a vast knowledge of the US military and the US intelligence agencies, that's where his key to success lies. That and he also weaves together a fancible storyline (I'll give you that one) with characters who are rather believable and their circumstances are based in reality.

Also take a college level english course and then come back and tell me that Michael Crichton is anything more than the EA of the book world.

Aside from graduating college with a minor in English, a person shouldn't need to take a college level class to tell themselves what they like to read. Granted, you tend to be more exposed to the "classics" in those classes, but like I've said before, what a person likes to read isn't necessarily trash on your account.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 16:17.

Feb 7, 2005, 16:06
Re: Scottish Martial Arts & Beamer = ... Feb 7, 2005, 16:06
Feb 7, 2005, 16:06

Bottom line: someone like Tom Clancy or John Grisham produces pulp, like you said, and it may be popular, it may be enjoyable and it may sell millions but that doesn't make it good writing or good literature. Look at how we on the bluesnews boards respond to your average EA game: we deride it as being something for the mass market, that stupid console kiddies lap up, something that has whizbang production values but is ultimately poorly designed. Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton, etc. are the EA of the book world. They (EA and the above authors) produce mass market shit, that is well marketed.

People deride EA because it's the popular thing to do on these boards. Yeah, they produce a lot of crap, but they also put out a lot decent games. Which...arguably, a lot of people wouldn't buy and reviewer's wouldn't praise if there wasn't anything of worth.

People buy it not because it is especially good but because they simply arn't in to the medium enough to appreciate the mediums better offerings.

What consitutes a great storyline in my oppinion will not necessarily do so in yours. That's human nature, dude. It's pure close mindedness to assume that a person buys a Clancy or Ludlum novel simply because there is "better" material out there. If the reader enjoys the storyline, that's all that matters.

I'm not particularly well read but I know enough about literature not to waste my time with someone like Clancy, just like how I know enough about video games not to waste my time with the next EA Bond game or the next EA LotR game.

Sounds like to me you don't read much at all. I'm not in any means defending Clancy or the contrived comparison to EA, but you might want to break out that evil Clancy book to really see if your oppinion still holds (because throwing out a rebellious oppinion for the sake of deference is rather dumb).

To go back to the film example of Collateral, it got pretty much universal critical acclaim despite the fact that it's plot was "Taxi Driver drives assasin around LA". The plot never develops past that other than that the hits get linked back to a character that is present at the very beginning of the film. The reason why Collateral is acclaimed as a good story because the characters are believable and Mann takes the time to really develop the world to the point that you don't need to suspend your disbelief, your simply lost in the lives of the people on screen.

Yeah, you actually hit a pretty damn good point there. The characters were believable. That's what often makes or breaks the best writers, in film or literature. Jamie Foxx is hardly the world's best actor outside of comedy (even then he's overrated, IMHO) but he did an exception job acting alongside the likes of Tom Cruise.

Feb 2, 2005, 23:51
Re: Scottish Martial Arts & Beamer = ... Feb 2, 2005, 23:51
Feb 2, 2005, 23:51

First off, that was not a fair critisism...when I reread my post a few minutes later I thought "Holy crap did I just write that?!" and hoped to edit that nasty bit out before you saw it. Apologies and kudos for your impressively controlled reply. But hey, even when we bicker online nobody is forcing us...we do what we do cuz on some weird level we enjoy it, and you left yourself wide open on that one. What comes around will undoubtedly go around someday.

As for the games, I think we are each hoping for opposite directions in gaming. I wish they would either exorcise Hollywood right out of the games market or at least recognize that there is more than one formula for a compelling game experience. Don't get me wrong...I love a good brainless hollywood romp if it is unique and not a Medal of Honor clone (Chronicles of Riddick was a Van-Helsish tough-guy tromp through Retardland and I actually had fun and laughed and marveled at the graphics)...but as far as shooters go I'd prefer to be given my objectives, dropped in a world and left to my own devices. I can do without cutscenes and hollywood voice-acting and above all...heavy scripting. After having played just about every big PC shooter for the last decade, I've seen and heard and done it all with very few titles standing out as hallmarks. I've come to dread the thought of having to move an "actor" through yet another rerun of the same movie more than once...which is why, to me, titles such as FarCry are so special. If I play through a game more than once it is special. Four times and it is a hallmark. But I'm babbling.

Your viewpoint is perfectly valid to you and others of the same mindset; that a game should make you feel like the protagonist in a good book or a movie.

Then there is the other (my) extreme where a PC shooter should be like a game of chess, that is, a good shoot'em up that makes you think and want to go back to the same level and try things entirely differently. Games like Ghost Recon and Operation Flashpoint and even non military masterpeices such as Messiah (for its time that barely noticed title rocked my world) and FarCry stand out as being highly replayable.

The almost infinite number of ways you could approach most maps in FarCry still impresses me. Go in guns blazing Arnold-style, or steal a boat and wipe out an entire beachside with rockets, or sneak up a hillside and clear the beachside with mortar fire from the top of the hill etc... I would love to see a military (no critter) campaign mod for FarCry.

Anyways, I'm writing a freakin book here, so to each his/her own...but Timeline was a good book, heh heh. And Van Helsing sucked but I did enjoy watching Hellboy.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 02:56.

Feb 2, 2005, 13:53
Re: Scottish Martial Arts & Beamer = ... Feb 2, 2005, 13:53
Feb 2, 2005, 13:53

The fact that you are trying to liken that idiotic mishmash posing as a storyline in HL2 to a "higher class" of reading is equally laughable. Go read a nice poem, and contemplate yet another menage-a-un as you watch reruns of Frasier. You sound like the Simpsons' "Comic book guy" after a year of english lit.

A fair criticism. In all honesty I was trying desperately not to come off that way, but then said "fuck it, there's no diplomatic way to say this so I'll just be an asshole".

Bottom line: someone like Tom Clancy or John Grisham produces pulp, like you said, and it may be popular, it may be enjoyable and it may sell millions but that doesn't make it good writing or good literature. Look at how we on the bluesnews boards respond to your average EA game: we deride it as being something for the mass market, that stupid console kiddies lap up, something that has whizbang production values but is ultimately poorly designed. Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton, etc. are the EA of the book world. They (EA and the above authors) produce mass market shit, that is well marketed. People buy it not because it is especially good but because they simply arn't in to the medium enough to appreciate the mediums better offerings.

I'm not particularly well read but I know enough about literature not to waste my time with someone like Clancy, just like how I know enough about video games not to waste my time with the next EA Bond game or the next EA LotR game.

To go back to the film example of Collateral, it got pretty much universal critical acclaim despite the fact that it's plot was "Taxi Driver drives assasin around LA". The plot never develops past that other than that the hits get linked back to a character that is present at the very beginning of the film. The reason why Collateral is acclaimed as a good story because the characters are believable and Mann takes the time to really develop the world to the point that you don't need to suspend your disbelief, your simply lost in the lives of the people on screen.

HL2 does not have the greatest story ever, like Collateral. HL2 didn't have the same caliber of storytelling that you see in a well made film or a well written book. What makes HL2 special was it didn't have Van Helsing-level storytelling, the standard for "story-driven" video games. If video games are going to be accepted as art the same way film and literature is, it is absolutely vital that video game storytelling moves past the level of artistic merit in movies like Van Helsing or your average Clancy novel. HL2 isn't perfect by a long shot but at the very least it's a step in the right direction.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 13:59.

Feb 2, 2005, 13:03
Re: Scottish Martial Arts & Beamer = ... Feb 2, 2005, 13:03
Feb 2, 2005, 13:03

Are you really this stupid or do you actually realize just what a ridiculous snob you sound like? "Take a college level english course"?!! We're sorry your excellency, that we don't measure up to your obviously high standard in literature but alot of pulp fiction sells millions, and alot of people enjoy it, and to hear some delusional pseudo-intellectual book worm suggesting people go back to school to reevaluate their opinions of an author they claim to enjoy is just plain ugly.

The fact that you are trying to liken that idiotic mishmash posing as a storyline in HL2 to a "higher class" of reading is equally laughable. Alright that was harsh...but I don't believe anyone should have to have read a selection of books to have a valid opinion on a game's storyline, nor should they be made to feel so.
This comment was edited on Feb 2, 13:51.

Feb 2, 2005, 12:14
Re: Scottish Martial Arts & Beamer = ... Feb 2, 2005, 12:14
Feb 2, 2005, 12:14

Just a couple arrogant fucks that can't handle it when they are outmatched with basic logic.

Look, I'm not claiming that HL2's storytelling is a literary masterpiece. I'm not claiming that it is the most original story ever. All I am saying is that the process through which the story is told has more in common with a book like The Sun Also Rises than Clear and Present Danger. Clear and Present Danger is a cool story (Ding Chavez Mother fuckers) but that doesn't mean it is particularly well written or possessing any literary merit. Every video game up until now has displayed the heavyhanded storytelling of summer popcorn movies like Van Helsing. HL2 doesn't have the "OMG BEST STORY EVAR!!!" but it is a refreshing change from the amateur writing and storytelling seen in every other game ever made.

Also take a college level english course and then come back and tell me that Michael Crichton is anything more than the EA of the book world.

Re: That's a load of shit
Feb 2, 2005, 10:07
Re: That's a load of shit Feb 2, 2005, 10:07
Feb 2, 2005, 10:07

I agree Deus Ex is much more non-linear (and I enjoyed it more than HL, even though I liked the HL plot much more,) but it's still got nothing on a game such as Planescape.

Of course, all the options on Planescape prevented me from finishing it. Too much to do, too open ended. Personally I didn't have the time.

HL2, as I've said, tries to be cinematic in scope and feel. And it tries to involve you. Seeing Gordon in 3rd person would break that. Hearing his voice would break that. It also ruins Gordon's personality of a guy that just doesn't care. He does what he does because it's all he can. Makes him seem damaged. Of course, they could just tell you that, or they could have Breen sit you down and give you every last detail of the Combine plot and who they are, but is that fun? Not for me.

As far as scripting goes, HL2 needs more. I fired up HL Source after beating HL2 last night, and there seems like HL had more scripting. HL2 has the NPCs running around and interacting with you, but HL had all the chaos after the experiment went wrong. Scientists being sucked into airvents, headcrabs attacking security guards, all sorts of chaos creating a living world around you. I wish HL2 had more of that.

I don't see why scripting is such a dirty word - it's needed to make the game feel cinematic. Scripted AI is definitely bad, but HL2 didn't have scripted AI, neither did HL. They just had scripted little actions going on around you.

Feb 2, 2005, 05:41
Re: That's a load of shit Feb 2, 2005, 05:41
Feb 2, 2005, 05:41

"Show me a game where you can decide not to do things and still progress and I'll show you a game that doesn't pull you around on a leash. "

Morrowind. You can cruise around and gain skill (ie progress) without even having to worry about the main quest. However to "progress" through the main quest you need to go where the designers send you.

But this is all semantics. Though Deus Ex provided a few paths to reach point B, that is much more non-linear than what HL2 provided. I do understand that this way Valve could put 100% effort into a cinematic experience for the player, rather than spreading themselves too thin by providing options. But to be honest, I think this style will slowly change in the future as it seems a lot of people are asking for choices these days. Could be wrong, but that's my guess.

By the way Scottish, you're already a guru - is there some rank beyond that, that you are striving for
This comment was edited on Feb 2, 05:44.

Feb 2, 2005, 02:56
Re: Scottish Martial Arts & Beamer = ... Feb 2, 2005, 02:56
Feb 2, 2005, 02:56

It is kinda funny you have to admit.

"I just enjoyed a nice bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape with my Filet Mignon and you McDonalds people should not mention food or I will crush you with my vast culinary sophistication"

I thought Timeline was pretty enjoyable.

Scottish Martial Arts & Beamer = ...
Feb 2, 2005, 01:49
Scottish Martial Arts & Beamer = ... Feb 2, 2005, 01:49
Feb 2, 2005, 01:49

Just a couple arrogant fucks that can't handle it when they are outmatched with basic logic.

Do us a favor & at least get an autograph the next time you give Gabe Newell a blowjob.

Re: Wow
Feb 2, 2005, 01:39
Re: Wow Feb 2, 2005, 01:39
Feb 2, 2005, 01:39

Deus Ex. Which is STILL the best game ever made

Really? Deciding not to go to the top of statue, deciding not to go into Castle Clinton, deciding not to blow up the generator, deciding not to send the NSF distress signal, etc. stopped my progess in the game cold.

Feb 2, 2005, 01:36
Re: That's a load of shit Feb 2, 2005, 01:36
Feb 2, 2005, 01:36

Quite honestly, if you take a poll, almost no one that plays computer games has also read "Catcher in the Rye". That says a lot about you. It may say good things, it might just mean you're weird.

Well then maybe the mass media stereotypes of gamers are true then. If you have to be an uneducated twit that thinks Clancy, Grisham, Crichton or a Star Wars Novelist is literature in order to be a gamer, then we are one fucked up breed.

Feb 2, 2005, 01:33
Re: That's a load of shit Feb 2, 2005, 01:33
Feb 2, 2005, 01:33

Read a Michael Crichton book. He'll explain everything and it will be a damned good story.

Yeah and that's a book that you buy at the fucking airport. Do not call that good literature. Do not call that well written. Video games arn't literature yet, but HL2 showed that video games don't have to show the same lack of literary value as Jurassic Park or The Hunt for Red October. Yeah they're good popcorn stories, but do they have artistic merit? Fuck no. HL2 isn't The Sun Also Rises or The Divine Comedy or The Illiad, but it did show that video games arn't consigned to the level of sophistication of a movie like Van Helsing.

Re: The truth about HalfLife2
Feb 2, 2005, 01:27
Re: The truth about HalfLife2 Feb 2, 2005, 01:27
Feb 2, 2005, 01:27

WTF does Ravenholm have to do with the story at all, comrade? Anything? Anything at all? It's just a part of the game that feels thrown in.

It shows you what the Combine is willing to do to anyone that tries to resist their will. The city was a town where City 17 escapees were hiding out so the combine shelled it with headcrab bombs and zombified everyone. Plus, it's just a cool area to fight in.

Feb 2, 2005, 01:21
Re: Wow Feb 2, 2005, 01:21
Feb 2, 2005, 01:21

To equate how this would have worked in Farcry, the base would have been there, and it would have been up to you if you wanted to go in or not, or just land your airboat at the foot of the tower, climb up and open the floodgate.

While true, in many cases the "non-linearity" was nothing more than: take path A, path B or in rare cases a path C. In some instances you didn't even have that, for example the docks level. While you can either go down to the water and swim across or hang glide across, once your across the chasm you go down the hill and into the mercenary camp. Go around the mercenary camp? Nope, sorry have to go through. Another example would be the Radar Dish level: you have three paths (main beach, beach to the left and beach on the rear side) to get onto the main island and into the jungle, from the jungle you have two paths to get to the fort (through the tunnels are along the cliffside). Once at the fort there was only one way through.

While Far Cry was less linear, for the most part it was a lot of smoke and mirrors. There was a definite flow to the levels that guided you along a specific path and punished you for deviating from it, i.e. not coming across an autosave because you're deviating from the path through the level.

But every game is EXACTLY the same. Up to and including the squad mates that make you get stuck throughout the entire level where you're fighting in City17, door to door, and every time you want to go back, or go out of a room, you have to wrestle your way through four of your "brilliant AI" squadmates.

Uh no. The game spawns squad mates in based upon how many you have remaining. It's not predetermined. Additionally have you ever been in a tight hallway with five other people? While it was annoying to bump into squad mates, they did move out of the way quickly, I was never "stuck" I just had to wait a second so they could reshuffle themselves so that a path would open up. Maybe having a large squad in close quarters wasn't the best idea ever but in real life you'd have the exact same problem even with real intelligence.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work very well. Most of the encounters in those houses are scripted.

So? They're all enjoyable and the granular gameplay of HL2 still allows for multiple solutions. Even the vaunted Far Cry was heavily scripted in parts, namely the indoor levels, and in that case the scripting didn't add anything the way it does in HL2.

I've seen one person explain that the reason nobody explains anything to Gordon about what happened is because EVERYBODY KNOWS what happened, ergo, Gordon would too, had he been on earth, as everyone assumes. That's fair enough, it's a good argument.
Gordon, however, DOES NOT KNOW. Why doesn't he ask? As a protagonist, Gordon Freeman is the most boring fucking moron ever developed for videogames. I could relate more to being Ms Pacman than I could to being Gordon Freeman.

Gordon asking questions would have made the story a little easier to understand I'll give you that. However you're not supposed to "relate" to Gordon, YOU ARE Gordon. The game never ever portrays Gordon as someone other than you, Gordon Freeman is simply the name YOU have while YOU fight through City 17.

And yet, this is what people call "the best story ever in videogames"? Please.

I never called it the best story ever. Did you ever see Van Helsing? That was a shitty movie beyond belief but I bring it up because of it's plot. The plot jumped allover the place: Frankenstein's monster being key to stopping Dracula, an Ice Castle, a Masquerade ball that's actually populated by Dracula's minions, etc. It felt contrived, it felt forced, it felt like a "story-driven" video game. Plot served simply as a means of getting from one effect shot to another, there was no attempt to develop character or to show the details that cause you to believe in the world and the characters. Now take the movie Collateral, when you come right down to it it's plot is extremely simple. Not a whole lot happens in the film, there are a few assasinations and it becomes apparent it's to disrupt a court case but thats it. Instead the movie uses the time it has to develop the character's lives and create a believable world. Now HL2 isn't quite a Michael Mann film, but a globetrotting plot like Van Helsing is ditched in favor of developing a highly believable and immersive world, similar to Collateral.

In the five minute journey from the train to Dr Kleiner's lab, Half Life 2 inflicts FOUR level loads on you. Each lasting between 75-120 seconds.
I thought it was the best thing ever in the first Half Life. Only there the loads took four seconds. Here they take two minutes.

I don't know what kind of computer you had in '98 but the level loads in HL1 took on the order of 30-40 seconds when I first got it. Far Cry levels are larger than HL2 levels but I've found the load times to be very similar at about 40-60 seconds and I have a three year old computer. While the wait is bothersome, HL2 is still much more seamless than Far Cry, there isn't some giant splash screen reminding you that "you are playing a game, you just finished a level, please wait". A year from now when hardware and further engine optimizations have reduced HL2 load times to 10-15 seconds, it will be hands down superior. Something else, the levels themselves had a significant amount of gameplay in them. Sure some were real short but on average there's probably a good 15 minutes between each level load, which isn't a whole lot less than I spent on average in a Far Cry level (about 25-30 minutes). Frankly if the only weak part of the Source engine is level loads I think that still puts it at the top of the pack of the next gen engines.

Even though all you Half Life 2 fanboys are ofcourse all wrong

Well you Far Cry fanboys are wrong too. That game had no soul and no attention to immersion and believability.

Feb 1, 2005, 22:54
Re: That's a load of shit Feb 1, 2005, 22:54
Feb 1, 2005, 22:54

You should stop thinking that your viewpoint is the only one that matters.

Likewise.

You should also read my posts if you are going to comment on them, as I say the Halo story was mostly gibberish.

How terribly convenient then that the only way I can actually GO leads right to Dr Kleiner's lab. That's a pisspoor piece of storytelling right there.),
I've yet to play a FPS that does things otherwise.

Show me a game where you can decide not to do things and still progress

Deus Ex

Disagreed. The most it really amounted to was whether or not you killed someone, and it didn't make a difference on anything. Sure, maybe you'd save your brother and see him briefly later. That was about it. Hell, the entire ending was determined on your final decision, nothing else.

Also, I'm not trying to say HL2 had a good story, people here have been saying it didn't have a story. I'm trying to argue that yes, it did have a story, and it properly conveyed it. Personally I found it refreshing (see Zeph, 'personally,' a term I've been using quite often to prove this is a discussion on opinion) that you never had the bad guy pull a Bond and explain every little detail to you. It's a plot device used entirely too often. Either that, or the genius on your side knows it all through some mysterious means.

I like that, in HL2, no one really knows anything. They just know they're being oppressed.

heh...
Feb 1, 2005, 22:40
heh... Feb 1, 2005, 22:40
Feb 1, 2005, 22:40

For a moment there, I thought you didn't sign your name. I was going to jump up and down, shouting for joy and of logic and reason. Then I realized you just made an edit.

Oh well. I don't understand it, but I guess you'll never change.

I enjoyed your posts in this latest bluesnews topic.

Feb 1, 2005, 22:21
Re: Wow Feb 1, 2005, 22:21
Feb 1, 2005, 22:21

The story in HL2 is the story of Gordon. You ARE the story

No, it's not, in my opinion. You PLAY as Gordon, but it is really the story of Alyx. Look back at it. Everything of importance that happens in the game, happens to Alyx or because of intervention from Alyx. (She finds Gordon, takes him to Kleiner's lab. Tells him where to go. SHE is the first to go through the portal, not you. When you meet up with her again, she gives you the gravity gun, tells you about ravenholm, then tells you to go through it. Then HER dad gets kidnapped, and she asks you to help HER get him out. etc)

YOU, as Gordon, never do anything of importance, really, with the exception of using the super gravity gun to blow up the dark reactor. The first nine chapters involve you going where people tell you to go, which somehow never manages to get you lost (I laughed at this the first time I played it. "Hey Gordon, get out the window, and go to Dr Kleiner's lab!". Yeah, thanks Barney. Any fucking idea on how I actually am supposed to GET THERE? How terribly convenient then that the only way I can actually GO leads right to Dr Kleiner's lab. That's a pisspoor piece of storytelling right there.), then there's two chapters of you helping Alyx to save her dad (and look back at what happens. YOU don't do anything. Alyx opens all the doors. Alyx tells you where to go. Alyx hacks all the security locks. For fuck's sake, Alyx is even the one who hits the buttons to get her dad out, then hits the buttons to get that damn teleporter reset. Barney was kidding when he said "Wow, your MIT sure came in handy when you threw that switch, huh Gordon?", but little do we know at that point that that is the MOST INVOLVED you will get with the ENTIRE STORY for the rest of the game.
Come on, I can't believe people defend this...

Any way I look at it, the story seems to be Alyx's, not Gordon's.

Creston

Edit : Show me a game where you can decide not to do things and still progress

Deus Ex. Which is STILL the best game ever made. It was better than the first half life, and it's definitely better than the second half life. Despite what "is my tongue deep enough in Valve's ass now, editor?" gaming magazines / sites say.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 22:32.

Feb 1, 2005, 19:34
Re: That's a load of shit Feb 1, 2005, 19:34
Feb 1, 2005, 19:34

Quite honestly, if you take a poll, almost no one that plays computer games has also read "Catcher in the Rye". That says a lot about you. It may say good things, it might just mean you're weird.

But if you think that you're a better critic of story-telling because you prefer Salinger to Crichton and think that Half-life2 has a good story because it is barely hinted at, then I don't know what to say to that.

Did you think Halo had a good story or that the idea of a halo world was cool? Maybe you should read Larry Niven's Ringworld. They pretty much ripped it right out of the book.

You know what you should do? You should stop thinking that your viewpoint is the only one that matters. Do us all a favor, get a piece of paper and a pen and make 5 dots a second every second for more than 38 years. When you're done & try to find the dot out of the 6billion people on the planet that represent you.

You are an insignificant, meaningless, waste of human skin. Stop believing you are anything more than the other 6billion thinking, feeling people on the planet.

Feb 1, 2005, 18:18
Re: That's a load of shit Feb 1, 2005, 18:18
Feb 1, 2005, 18:18

Read a Michael Crichton book. He'll explain everything and it will be a damned good story
That says a lot about you, quite honestly. Personally I avoid Crichton like the plague, he's really not a terribly good author. If you think his method is a spotlight example of conveying a message we can end this discussion.

But don't try and tell me that Half-life2 is better than FarCry because that's just stupid.
As I've said many, many times, I've yet to play Far Cry. I've yet to compare HL2 to Far Cry. I've yet to say a single negative thing about Far Cry. All I'm doing is defending the people that claim HL2 does not have a story.

The combine are human soldiers. That fragfiles history bullshit starts them out as being alien.
They are aliens, they just have humans working for them as the low level peons.

Never did I say HL had original monsters. I simply said the story is well done. From what I understand Far Cry is mostly mutants coming at you on an island. Gee, hasn't that been done many times in the past?

In Halflife2, you are pushed through a rat's maze. You can't do shit about it.
Never have I flat out denied that. I've just said it's the most effective way to give a cinematic experience, which is all HL2 was really going for. Far Cry, from what I understand, is still fairly linear. You're still headed from point A to point B and you still need to do action C at point B. The only difference is you can choose how to attack. This is still very linear, just slightly less linear. Show me a game where you can decide not to do things and still progress and I'll show you a game that doesn't pull you around on a leash.

I'm also not being a fanboy. I'm defending HL2 from people that are doing flat out attacks, which you seem to be. I am defending my opinion on the game, which is that it's very good for what it sets out to do, and much more entertaining than any FPS I played last year. Again, Far Cry is not among those yet. The cinematic value is more important to me than the decisions, when I play FPS I want explosions, when I want tactics I will fire up Jagged Alliance 2.

85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older