Out of the Blue

I took Gunnar for another session of puppy socialization with the Devicers' yesterday, and got caught up in an adventure beyond anything I had anticipated. The session of tromping around with a couple of adult dogs who are not Hudson was great fun for him, and he got another good lesson on how to act around cats to avoid conflicts, something he's got good instincts for already. The ride up, however, was a smorgasbord of bodily functions, as shortly after embarking (which indeed involved a lot of barking), I got presented with a stinky poo and a puddle, both of which were probably intentional, provoked by irritation at being tethered safely (but alone) in the back. I cleaned up and relented on the safe approach for the ride by letting him free, and about a half-hour from our destination, he thanked me by getting carsick in my lap (yum!). After puppy play and puke cleaning, it was time to return, which is when something in the truck fritzed, and now my dash lights are out. Trying to find a blown fuse bore no fruit, so I got to drive home in the dark guessing about my speed, as it was almost impossible to see the gauges even with the interior lights on. I'm guessing the couple of state troopers I passed along the way were tempted to stop me out of curiosity after seeing me slow to what was probably 20 MPH below the limit after spotting them. Vroom!

Links of the Day: 101 Dumbest Moments in Business 1-10.
Stories of the Day: State Senator Wants Cockfights, with Gloves. Hey, what he does in the privacy of his own home...
Jilted Man Begs for Wife's Return in $17,000 Ad.
Budweiser's 'Malfunction' explainer ad won't air.
Science!: Turin shroud 'older than thought'.
Pluto's moon created by cosmic hit-and-run.
Images of the Day: Vent et glace sur Genève.
Media of the Day: Vintage Game Commercials.
Auction of the Day: EVGA, NVIDIA and E-SportsEA Supports Tsunami Relief.
Follow-up: Giant miracle for tiny infant. Woohoo! :) (Though, of course, sad news for the donor).
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
View : : :
105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: No subject
Jan 31, 2005, 12:08
Re: No subject Jan 31, 2005, 12:08
Jan 31, 2005, 12:08

I'd hope the law would be somewhat forgiving for what would have been an honest mistake.

I have almost hit 2 pedestrians. One walked out from behind a parked big rig (I had a green light) - when I came to a stop he had his hands on my hood. The second was a black man walking across an unlit street (jaywalking in the middle of a long block) dressed completely in black. The only thing I saw was his white socks as I missed him by about 20 ft.

There have been cases similar to these where the driver is not charged (as long as you do not leave the scene) - the pedestrian is at fault. Doesn't make you feel any better about it if you were to hit one, though.

*** Warhawk ***

Something's wrong... this brain is light - even for a man.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Jan 30, 2005, 23:36
Re: No subject Jan 30, 2005, 23:36
Jan 30, 2005, 23:36

Injustice? Want to hear about injustice?

A friend of mine's friend was run over (i think the person had passed their test within 2 years). The person who was driving did a hit-and-run (didn't stop if you didnt know) and guess what, the person got 3 years in prison. 3 years. That's it. No revoking of the license, no ban from driving, just a straight 3 years jail sentance. That's injustice. The driver should have gotten at least 15 years in my opinion, if not life. As the old saying goes "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth". In this case, his life for a life he erased prematurely.

Damn...

My condolences to you and your fiend.

I normally totally agree with an eye-for-an-eye thing. And at the very least should have gotten more than 3 years.

Morally I don't agree with such a short sentencing. However, on the other hand, I've had near misses in the middle of the night on poorly lit suburban roads with people walking on the street in dark clothing. While I'd never leave the scene if I hit someone (fatally or not), I'd hope the law would be somewhat forgiving for what would have been an honest mistake.

Then again, for all I know the driver was some punk drinking or felt no remorse. Take solace in the fact that those 3 years will seem like a lifetime.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 23:43.
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

Thanks!
Jan 29, 2005, 16:23
Thanks! Jan 29, 2005, 16:23
Jan 29, 2005, 16:23

Thanks to all who have joined. . .great fun and Zathrus and ZigZang are definitely to players to beat. We will of course avoid all discussion of the host getting whipped on his own server.

btw, when/if we tire of HL2DM...i can also host Q3 (RA, Excessive, SCQ3A), UT2004.

ps more reports that the great RR speed upgrade is to be done by the 1/31 in these parts, so...fingers crossed on betta performance for everyone, specially the east coasters. though a lower ping for certain players has me thinking about HL2 SP again

HL2DM for blue'ers @ 24.24.216.59:27015

Re: HL2DM
Jan 29, 2005, 12:27
WarPig

Re: HL2DM Jan 29, 2005, 12:27
Jan 29, 2005, 12:27
 WarPig

Zig did too, but if he was drunk, I'd really hate to play him sober.

I sometimes play better after a couple beers. Just enough to take the edge off so I can play relaxed. But if I start to feel a strong buzz it means I've had too much and my play will suffer - but I won't care.

It works that way with golf too. The second I feel myself swaying over a putt I think, "crap, this round's over... where'd that beer girl go!"

-------------------------------------------------------
"That's inside-out boy. His mouth is in his belly, so he's gotta slap at his vocal chords with his bladder in order to make words."

GO SEAHAWKS!

Jan 29, 2005, 11:15
Re: HL2DM Jan 29, 2005, 11:15
Jan 29, 2005, 11:15

Camaro76 was handing my head to me there for a while tonight.

Zig did too, but if he was drunk, I'd really hate to play him sober.

*** Warhawk ***

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Re: hi all
Jan 29, 2005, 09:54
Jim
Re: hi all Jan 29, 2005, 09:54
Jan 29, 2005, 09:54
Jim

* REMOVED *
This message was deleted at Jan 29, 09:46.

LOL I can't help but think of Strong Bad's reflection in the monitor has he yells DELETED when he deletes an email. Maybe we should have a little Strong Bad icon for these instances

Jim

Jan 29, 2005, 09:53
Re: No subject Jan 29, 2005, 09:53
Jan 29, 2005, 09:53

I wonder if Joe is like a descendant of Ernst Hiemer or something? Maybe he sat on his lap while being read Der Giftpilz as a boy?

Jan 29, 2005, 09:27
Re: HL2DM Jan 29, 2005, 09:27
Jan 29, 2005, 09:27

What I've been finding most difficult is not adjusting to the lag, but adjusting to the wildly fluctuating lag. I get in a mode where I'm set for 150ms delay, and then it shoots up to 400 and my timing is all off. By the time I start to get used to 400, it drops back down to 150 and my timing is off again the other way. It's frustrating how you can empty a full clip of machinegun into someone and they don't die because you actually missed with more than half of your shots.

Images of the Day
Jan 29, 2005, 09:26
Images of the Day Jan 29, 2005, 09:26
Jan 29, 2005, 09:26

So much for global warming.

Jan 29, 2005, 08:56
Re: HL2DM Jan 29, 2005, 08:56
Jan 29, 2005, 08:56

"that causes whoever said that word to instantly get booted from the server, everytime it was said. "

or send a jolt of electricty directly into his headphones ( aversion therapy )

Jan 29, 2005, 07:35
Re: HL2DM Jan 29, 2005, 07:35
Jan 29, 2005, 07:35

there was some dillweed using the voice function

Can't you turn certain people's voice off in HL2? You used to be able to do this in HL by clicking on them on the scoreboard (this was pre Steam though so dunno if it's changed).

Jan 29, 2005, 01:58
Re: HL2DM Jan 29, 2005, 01:58
Jan 29, 2005, 01:58

I really wanted to jump on tonight but I had to pick someone up at the airport, and you guys know how time gets away from you while getting your ass handed to you.

Yeah, had fun tonight. Almost broke even on a couple rounds. For me, that's great!

Wife came in and started talking to me, had to stop for a minute and thought I was safe. That didn't last long....

*** Warhawk ***

Jan 29, 2005, 00:03
nin

Re: HL2DM Jan 29, 2005, 00:03
Jan 29, 2005, 00:03
 nin

and another asshat who'd yell "nigger!" every time he got fragged. That got old fast.

It's a shame, with voice recognition, that someone couldn't write a macro that causes whoever said that word to instantly get booted from the server, everytime it was said.

May 3rd, 2005 - "We are preparing to destroy you." http://www.nin.com

Jan 28, 2005, 23:22
Re: HL2DM Jan 28, 2005, 23:22
Jan 28, 2005, 23:22

It was nice not being called a a1mb0t f4g0t c4mp3r wh0r3.
You're not kidding.

I was on another server last night for a few minutes before having to leave because there was some dillweed using the voice function making annoying sounds (which had people telling him to shut up, which of course only encouraged him further), and another asshat who'd yell "nigger!" every time he got fragged. That got old fast.

Jan 28, 2005, 23:05
WarPig

Re: HL2DM Jan 28, 2005, 23:05
Jan 28, 2005, 23:05
 WarPig

i used to be one of the top 5 Medal of Honor players , didnt fair as well in Call of Duty

It was nice not being called a a1mb0t f4g0t c4mp3r wh0r3

Double ditto. Of course, as you can probably tell, I've never really been accused of cheating...

Sigh... for me it was UT CTF, I used to be pretty decent at that. It always pissed me off to no end when I was called a cheater, and it happened a lot - now I miss those days 'cause now I suck. Even then I never really got into deathmatch.

I really wanted to jump on tonight but I had to pick someone up at the airport, and you guys know how time gets away from you while getting your ass handed to you.

-------------------------------------------------------
"That's inside-out boy. His mouth is in his belly, so he's gotta slap at his vocal chords with his bladder in order to make words."

GO SEAHAWKS!

DM...
Jan 28, 2005, 22:35
DM... Jan 28, 2005, 22:35
Jan 28, 2005, 22:35

"Hope I was doing most of the blasting"
yeah , i was getting my ass handed to me in a big way ( by you AND Elvis )...i used to be one of the top 5 Medal of Honor players , didnt fair as well in Call of Duty , but i totally sucked at Half life back in the day ( it was my 1st PC game on my 1st PC )

Jan 28, 2005, 22:25
Re: HL2DM Jan 28, 2005, 22:25
Jan 28, 2005, 22:25

had a blast w/ you guys 2-nite

Ditto.

It was nice not being called a a1mb0t f4g0t c4mp3r wh0r3

Double ditto. Of course, as you can probably tell, I've never really been accused of cheating...

*** Warhawk ***

Jan 28, 2005, 22:01
Re: HL2DM Jan 28, 2005, 22:01
Jan 28, 2005, 22:01

had a blast w/ you guys 2-nite , some of the new maps are a little laggy tho ( noticed a decrease in ping on the official map )....gasworks ! , that bought back some memories of 1999 (seems like forever ago ) ...i'd like to see a Ravenholm map ( graveyard ect,,,)

Hope I was doing most of the blasting... It was nice not being called a a1mb0t f4g0t c4mp3r wh0r3.
I agree that was fun. I love the maps with booby traps or places where you can jump down/sneak up on the unsuspecting.
Most of the maps were good except for the docks one (too small, and the shelter had too much junk in the way).
Hope to see the rest of you online soon.

---------------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

HL2DM
Jan 28, 2005, 21:35
HL2DM Jan 28, 2005, 21:35
Jan 28, 2005, 21:35

had a blast w/ you guys 2-nite , some of the new maps are a little laggy tho ( noticed a decrease in ping on the official map )....gasworks ! , that bought back some memories of 1999 (seems like forever ago ) ...i'd like to see a Ravenholm map ( graveyard ect,,,)

Jan 28, 2005, 20:37
Re: No subject Jan 28, 2005, 20:37
Jan 28, 2005, 20:37

"A friend of mine's friend was run over (i think the person had passed their test within 2 years). The person who was driving did a hit-and-run (didn't stop if you didnt know) and guess what, the person got 3 years in prison. 3 years. That's it. No revoking of the license, no ban from driving, just a straight 3 years jail sentance. That's injustice. The driver should have gotten at least 15 years in my opinion, if not life. As the old saying goes "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth". In this case, his life for a life he erased prematurely."

That is nothing. A world famous musician and dancer from Africa was killed in a drunk driving case. The driver, after having his case delayed a year or so, was finally sentenced 3 months ago. 4 years in prison. 4 years in prison for killing while drunk.

Of course I have to put a world domination slant on this.

The African man was teaching the real meaning and secrets of life to lots and lots and lots of people. He had been doing that for 15 years or so when his popularity and notoriety began to skyrocket. So popular he needed to be killed to stop him from imparting the old ways to this generation of people. I met the man. He was a.....saint? magician? angel? It is really hard to describe an elevated person that understands life and energy. If you know one you know what I mean about hard to describe. Have you ever met or been around the Dalai Lama? The African man was like the Dalai Lama.

I give you one guess who ran into him? An Israeli. Yep. Guess who the lawyer was. An Israeli. The details of the accident? The drunk in a big huge landcruiser type car was going the wrong way down a one way street and hit the african man's little, small, cheap, mini car and smashed it to pieces.

Perfect murder. Big, car, small car, one way street, no where for the small car to escape. I bet the man is out of jail in 2 years. The max sentence was 10 years. The family and the community went to the courts while they dragged it out for a year or so. The prosector asked the judge for the max sentence. The murderer gets 4 years.

In another one of those, "It can only happen in Joseph Blowski's town", the prosecuting attorney was named Dick Moore.

http://www.congorhythms.org/Malonga%20/courtupdate.html

This comment was edited on Jan 28, 20:42.
105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older