More WoW Woes

This WoW Gameplay Discussion (thanks Voodoo Extreme) offers a message from Blizzard Entertainment president Mike Morhaime on the ongoing difficulties being experienced in World of Warcraft, their MMORPG. The update describes why 20 realms had to be taken offline, and how players from the impacted realms will be receiving a total of seven free days added to their subscriptions due to this and another glitch earlier in the week. The update concludes with promises and apologies:
I want to take this opportunity to say that we will do everything possible to ensure that unexpected downtime like this does not occur in the future and that if it is necessary, we will do everything possible to give you better warning and keep you informed. In the future, we will avoid doing maintenance during peak hours, unless no other alternative presents itself. When complications occur that could impact your playing time, we will provide that information as well. We failed to do this last night, and I assure you that we are making changes to ensure that we do a better job of communicating with our players next time.

I want to extend my personal and heartfelt apology for the problems that some of you have been experiencing on our servers. We remain committed to delivering the best possible service for you and will continue to work around the clock to ensure that we provide an experience that you and I have to come to expect from Blizzard games.
View : : :
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  ] Newer

Aaw
Jan 22, 2005, 10:49
Aaw Jan 22, 2005, 10:49
Jan 22, 2005, 10:49

Poor, addicted gamers.

And poor, poor corporate entity.

Wow, WoW, err Blizzard
Jan 22, 2005, 11:41
Wow, WoW, err Blizzard Jan 22, 2005, 11:41
Jan 22, 2005, 11:41

Finally they decided to officially make a statement to those crappy servers. But what about the lag, and more importantly the extremely bad class balance in PvP AND PvE and promised honor system?
Screw your battlegrounds, fix your released game first!

WHEN?

________
I'm not... gonna... cry... you... dumb... doo-doo brain!
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Jeez
Jan 22, 2005, 11:44
Jeez Jan 22, 2005, 11:44
Jan 22, 2005, 11:44

In the future, we will avoid doing maintenance during peak hours

Ehmm, hello?? You weren't doing that in the first place? That's like a mantra in IT.

Creston

Re: Jeez
Jan 22, 2005, 11:56
Re: Jeez Jan 22, 2005, 11:56
Jan 22, 2005, 11:56

Wow this is news to me. I've been playing on a low pop server nonstop and had zero problems outside of normal maintenance.

Jan 22, 2005, 12:10
Re: Jeez Jan 22, 2005, 12:10
Jan 22, 2005, 12:10

Hmm.. my realm is up. Good luck to the realmless....

Re: Wow, WoW, err Blizzard
Jan 22, 2005, 12:34
Re: Wow, WoW, err Blizzard Jan 22, 2005, 12:34
Jan 22, 2005, 12:34

/signed

They needed a real open beta and not the 2 week promotional event they had.

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums."
- The Sphinx, Mystery Men
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Jan 22, 2005, 12:46
Re: Jeez Jan 22, 2005, 12:46
Jan 22, 2005, 12:46

This is a very strange situation. Some of the servers are clearly broken and Bliz doesn't know how to fix them. Others, including some very high pop ones, run very well and have little downtime.

As to lag, again its very strange. Sometimes I'm in a truly congested area and everything runs smoothly. Other times I'm in a barren area and lagging like crazy.

I think I've said this before, but I'm really curious to learn how WoW works on the inside, how the servers do instances, the seamless world, and why Bliz can change some things very easily and other things need full-blown patches.

No subject
Jan 22, 2005, 13:46
No subject Jan 22, 2005, 13:46
Jan 22, 2005, 13:46

Despite the few (but fairly serious) problems WoW has now, it is still far more stable than any of the other 5 MMORPGs I've ever played. Even the early closed beta of WoW was more stable than most other MMOGs far into their retail life. And Blizzard has been surprisingly open with their server issues, giving detailed reports a couple of times every day about what is causing the problem and what they're doing to fix it via the message that appears at the login window. The problem with the 20 servers that were crashing a lot was actually caused by a boat, so they removed it and replaced it with 2 NPCs that will teleport you as a temporary fix while they fix the real problem.

No subject
Jan 22, 2005, 13:54
No subject Jan 22, 2005, 13:54
Jan 22, 2005, 13:54

But what about the lag, and more importantly the extremely bad class balance in PvP AND PvE

Care to be more specific about all those "imbalances"? And the Honor System is coming...

Re: No subject
Jan 22, 2005, 14:01
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2005, 14:01
Jan 22, 2005, 14:01

Apologies like this one for vague problems is exactly what the I believe most of the "whiners" on the forums are tired of. They are tired of not hearing what is going on. I am sure lines like " ... we will do everything possible to ensure that unexpected downtime like this does not occur in the future ... " and "When complications occur that could impact your playing time ... " are good for the front page but in the forums people want to be leveled with. They want to hear something like "Last night we had unexpected jump in server population which overloaded server ***** and we are currently trying to fix it" or "Last night an intern spilt his cup of coffee right into server **** we are sorry and will need 8 hours to let it dry" or "I'm sorry I really don't know what the problem is so I am just going to hit reset in a few. Expect server to be up in an hour."

/plays on a good problem free server but also gets tired of reading these vague apologies for unknown problems.

Hehe
Jan 22, 2005, 14:19
Hehe Jan 22, 2005, 14:19

I've been on low pop servers and of course have had no problems... but all these news events have given me an idea!

Start one character on every server... then whenever players get bonus days, I always get in on the action! =D

Re: No subject Jan 22, 2005, 14:19

Apologies like this one for vague problems is exactly what the I believe most of the "whiners" on the forums are tired of. They are tired of not hearing what is going on. I am sure lines like " ... we will do everything possible to ensure that unexpected downtime like this does not occur in the future ... " and "When complications occur that could impact your playing time ... " are good for the front page but in the forums people want to be leveled with. They want to hear something like "Last night we had unexpected jump in server population which overloaded server ***** and we are currently trying to fix it" or "Last night an intern spilt his cup of coffee right into server **** we are sorry and will need 8 hours to let it dry" or "I'm sorry I really don't know what the problem is so I am just going to hit reset in a few. Expect server to be up in an hour."

But they DID explain in detail what the problem was with these 20 servers. One of the boat routes was causing the server to crash somehow, so they removed it and replaced it with NPCs, and they explained this all in the messages that appear at the login screen. They even followed it up with messages about how the NPCs would be changed to friendly for both sides so that they couldn't be killed by enemy players.

Jan 22, 2005, 14:20
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2005, 14:20
Jan 22, 2005, 14:20

I am particularly partial to the "It is because we are so great and sold so many copies and that is why we are down - wait for us, because we are great!" messages. I expect population issues in that first week or so, but it is getting ridiculous at this point. It is just like the queue system that appeared a week ago when I am already on a Blizzard-suggested/approved population-shifted server from launch. Or that does not explain why quests are broken, known bugs are left in the game, only certain servers have ongoing issues, etc.
Thursday was a great example of Blizzard's crap systems.
I will say that Morhaime's message is pointless and he ought to get a clue, especially in the face of the new support forum guideliness. When it finally came back up, having been down for about three days straight, you could only post about select technical issues, you could not ask for updates on technical issues, they may opt to not reply to your tech issues, you have to e-mail Blizzard and hope for a reply if your tech post going unanswered, they will eagerly delete threads that they feel they have covered, regardless of whether or not this issue is still ongoing, etc. When tech support is telling you to expect valid issues to go unanswered and that you have to e-mail a department and hope for a reply, can you say...broken?

Edit: For the "boat" fix, it may help on some of the continent disconnects, but the Kilrogg server is still plagued with the same 'ol issues: disconnects, inconsistent lag, the dreaded 5 AM time period, severe lag in IF/AH, etc. That is not to mention the core game issues.

Getting really annoyed with Blizzard's "fixes" causing further issues,
InSaNe Ray

-----
Half-Life 2: All that and a bag of chips!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Jan 22, 14:23.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Jan 22, 2005, 14:27
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2005, 14:27
Jan 22, 2005, 14:27

You'll never get that though. Blizzard has pretty bad customer relation. Any complaints go into essentially what is a black hole. If you are lucky you get a vague answer that has no real value.

Examples:
When is Diablo Patch 1.12 coming out? You have been promising it.
Answer (for over a year):"Soon"

When are you going to fix Diablo's Server Problems? (At release of diablo the servers were a total mess for at least 4 months. The game was unplayable.)
Answer: "We are working on it" or "Soon"

The same thing happened with warcraft 3. A large amount of players was asking blizzard when they would get their act together and fix glaring balance issues. It really never happened. They kept answering soon and when they finally made an attempt it was clear they completely ignored tha players.

Given Blizzard's past history and the magnitude of these problems they should take 6-12 months from release to get fixed. So earliest May and chances are they will be fixed by next December. Balance issues will persist for some time after that. Promised things that weren't delivered on release may never come (a good example is the "Clan ladder and Clan support" promised with Diablo 2 that didn't arrive until the Warcraft 3 exansion.)

I know Blizzard fanboys get rabid when things like this get said, but if you look at Blizzard's history they don't get things fixed in a timely manner and they don't listen to their customers.

No subject
Jan 22, 2005, 14:28
No subject Jan 22, 2005, 14:28
Jan 22, 2005, 14:28

EQ2 = Servers are taken down at 10a.m. for one hour for maintenance. No lag and only one weekend that saw the servers down for an extended time in which SOE promptly volunteered extended play time and even an XP boost for a few days. No lag to speak of.

I've heard a million horror stories about SOE but my time spent with Planetside (over 6 months) and more recently EQ2 has seen nothing but prompt attention to the few issues that were experienced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes I dream about....cheese. Here, have a medkit"
- Half Life 2 NPC
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Jan 22, 2005, 14:36
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2005, 14:36
Jan 22, 2005, 14:36

*note*: not defending blizzard, I think they are doing a crappy job especially after all these problems were so obvious towards the end of beta

What boggles my mind is the amount of servers they have. 80 god damn servers. Imagine taking care of 80 servers.
Umm yeah we have this bug we need to investigate on server 65. Oh wait look the boat on server 30 is droppong players into the ocean. Hmmmm we took server 26 out of maintenence and now server 27 is overcrowding.

Must be heaven for the support team.

Jan 22, 2005, 14:41
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2005, 14:41
Jan 22, 2005, 14:41

SWG was a real nightmare in that first launch week, but Blizzard has already far surpassed SOE in the horror story department, at least for those of us on Kilrogg. SOE still does not know how to make SWG an actual "game," but there is no comparison at this point on the technical front and SWG's economy is vastly superior to the one found in WoW.

I mean, Blizzard is still figuring out that auction houses should let you put in a current bid and a (private) maximum bid.
DUH!
Going to hit 60 very soon; having nothing else to do in WoW,
Ray

-----
Half-Life 2: All that and a bag of chips!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Jan 22, 2005, 15:03
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2005, 15:03
Jan 22, 2005, 15:03

I know Blizzard fanboys get rabid when things like this get said, but if you look at Blizzard's history they don't get things fixed in a timely manner and they don't listen to their customers.

Thats exactly the problem. This is not D2 or WC3. This is a MMORPG. The patches they did (only 1 or 2 I believe since release) are far to slowly being released and fix too few things plus we already are waiting almost a month for the next one and still none in sight, not even a note what will be fixed. EQ had 3 patches or more in the first week, UO even more. WoW has very serious gameplay bugs and issues that normally need to be adressed quickly. But instead they nerf something absolutely irrelevant like arcane missle on those 16h downtime servers, but bugs were not touched at all.

Care to be more specific about all those "imbalances"? And the Honor System is coming...

I will simply say 2 words as an example. Paladins, Shamans.
Im not going to tell you what you have to believe. Simply visit the forums or watch the general chat once in a while. The biggest problem IMO is still PvP class balance, if you dont play on a PvP server I doubt you will know what people are talking about.
But maybe if I tell you this little tale of a level 46 paladin who soloed 3 level 45 elites at once and on the other day the level 48 paladin who owned the level 54 warrior and level 52 warlock while only having 1/3 of his mana or the level 22 paladin who owned the level 32 mage over and over again, you will understand a little more.
I know what I am talking about, I am playing one.
Similar tales can also be told about shamans.
And guess what? People know this and most players are playing Paladins (Alliance) or Shamans (Horde) now.

The honor system is coming....... How long have they promised that? They promised it will be there with the release. It wasnt and caused massive chaos on PvP servers, making playing newbies NOW absolutely futile in contested territories because the low life level 60 jerks run rampage on every lower level they see (while running away from fair fights, of course).

I also dont see how you guys can say that Blizzard keeps us informed on whats going on and when/whats going to be fixed. The few messages in the last few days were not very informing, before that they didnt tell us shit, and I seriously doubt that will change from now on. Of course they HAD to say something, since even the hardest fanboys hate it if they cant play or have to wait 2h+ in the queue.

Oh no, I am sorry. They actually did say something about the lag once. It was something like "Its only caused by the holiday season"..................

and before I get the "whiner" tag placed on me again, I played lots of MMORPGS right from the beginning. Most of them had horrible problems, but the players were informed, feedback from them was noticed and eventually implemented, server lag and instabilities were fixed with TOP priority in a matter of days (I believe some people still didnt read that post from Blizzard where they state that the /bug command simply puts, and has been since release, your written bug report in their trash folder).
I got rabid at them (especially SOE) a lot of times but it was never ever even close to this horrific experience Blizzard is giving me right now.
Believe it or not, I am still playing, but I doubt I will stay much longer as soon as I hit 60 with my main (which will be in a few weeks).
________
I'm not... gonna... cry... you... dumb... doo-doo brain!
This comment was edited on Jan 22, 15:18.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Jan 22, 2005, 15:16
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2005, 15:16
Jan 22, 2005, 15:16

Other than logging in a few times to check mail and add items to the auction house (which are all sold now), I haven't played since they took the servers down for the 16 hour maintanence 9 days ago. I've been considering whether to cancel my account, level to 60 (54 still) and then cancel my account, or just to try and play through the problems.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com

Jan 22, 2005, 15:24
Re: No subject Jan 22, 2005, 15:24
Jan 22, 2005, 15:24

I don't know if you would want it that automated Ray, just place the maximum if the item is that important to you (you need something to keep you busy you are allready almost 60 heh)

I have yet to see a huge battle that didn't crash the server I am at this point unsure if the server/netcode can support them. 100+ people in battle + some spawning guards = rip server.

Another issue would be battlegrounds. From what I am reading it does not sound so appealing. Fighting npc's is kinda suck. They should implement something along the lines of L2. Castles that guilds can capture, that have a persisstant place (not an instance) and a goal (0.1% off the trades done in that region). Something along the lines of every zone having a keep/castle that at first has uber npc's (meaning you have to have a guild with alot of lvl 55's to capture it) It would be preety cool to raid southshore and capture the keep instead of ganking helpless newbs :P. Also scrolls of teleport to keep should be implementet that take you to your keep.
Instanced battlegrounds are more along the lines of guild wars, and pvp loses focus in the actual world.

Pvp rewards like people randomly dropping stuff and or losing exp points when they die would be nice.

Guess we will wait and see what happens.
Wow's economy is almost nonexistant, in 6 month 100 gold will mean nothing but ill take that over adena farmers and people who buy gold/items on ebay any day.

I really hope Wow's pvp will be able to stand its own vs Daoc and lineage2.

And oh when I started playing wow 6 month ago the world seemed to huge. Now I really think its small 8(

Random thoughts~

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  ] Newer