Out of the Blue

Cold? COLD? It's freakin' freezing around these parts! We're talking single digit temperatures that are well below zero with the wind chill factor (I'll brace myself for the mail from Canada explaining this is t-shirt weather). It's so that people are walking around looking for witches to feel up to warm their hands (badoom-bah!).

Play Time: Nerd Quiz. Thanks Andrew (98%). I am a mere 40% on this one.
Link of the Day: Stop Ashlee Simpson from Singing Petition. Thanks thesawzall.
Stories of the Day: Slashdot | 'Star Trek Enterprise' Cancelled. The Quantum Leap over the shark lands.
Attorney meets the 'jury pool from hell'. Thanks nin.
Science!: Skin and bones 'made to measure'.
Nanotech lighting the way.
Companies Seek Recipes Without Trans Fat.
Image of the Day: Zelda Tattoo.
Media of the Day: Full Metal Joe. Contains adult language, numbnuts.
Follow-up: 'Frank the Tumor' biopsy will be free.
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
View : : :
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Think Cold
Jan 23, 2005, 12:00
Re: Think Cold Jan 23, 2005, 12:00
Jan 23, 2005, 12:00

Acctually I think the sun is closer to the earth during winter. I think I saw that on Mr. Wizard once. You guys ever watch Mr. Wizard?

Woops, sorry Sixis. I didn't see that you had already said this.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 12:02.
Josh, Your Friendly Neighborhood Troll
--Waiting for Halsy's dad to break my kneecaps--

Re: TV
Jan 22, 2005, 09:47
Re: TV Jan 22, 2005, 09:47
Jan 22, 2005, 09:47

I'm looking forward to the next season of Scrapheap Challenge (Junkyard Wars in the US i believe). That's brilliant viewing. Just watching how people build a contraption in 10 hours that more often than not works brilliantly (well comparatively anyway). I still love the episode where this team built a huge trebuchet to fling a mini. They put too much of a counterwieght in and the whole thing exploded. Absolutely hilarious.

Apart from that the only TV i watch is South Park and the news. Oh of course the Simpsons, purely because that is the classic cartoon.

TV
Jan 20, 2005, 06:57
TV Jan 20, 2005, 06:57
Jan 20, 2005, 06:57

On TV, I pay for extended cable just to get the 4 channels I watch, Discovery Science, Discovery Times, History, and History International, my Fav. The Family guy is very funny. It scares me that the people who actually watch all the popular trash ARE the majority and vote, and it scares me that the cs-hackers/hip hop boom/boom music generation will be our future congress/senate/governers. RUN

Re: Enterprise cancelled
Jan 20, 2005, 00:26
Re: Enterprise cancelled Jan 20, 2005, 00:26
Jan 20, 2005, 00:26

I stopped watching TV about two months ago because there is absolutely nothing worth watching on any more.

Huh? I can partially agree with you because most of what's on is crap but there are several gems.

Arrested Development, Scrubs, Lost and Enterprise have new episodes currently airing.

I should also mention Six Feet Under, Dead Like Me, The Shield and Chappelle Show but they're between seasons right now.

Also the return of Family Guy this year should be something to look forward to. I'm getting sick of reruns.

Mayor Dan
------------
"Take me Jesus, take me Allah, rape me in my room
Torch our days in paranoia while we gorge ourselves on gloom"
ExcessDan

Jan 20, 2005, 00:15
Re: Enterprise cancelled Jan 20, 2005, 00:15
Jan 20, 2005, 00:15

Oh man, Andromeda. That is a horrible, horrible, horrible show.

You don't have to worry about Enterprise being cancelled yet. Below a couple of us listed sites blaming the scare on false rumours. Now we just have to cross our fingers and hope the series gets renewed now.

Mayor Dan
------------
ExcessDan

Jan 19, 2005, 23:20
Re: Think Cold Jan 19, 2005, 23:20
Jan 19, 2005, 23:20

Maybe the sun seems brighter in winter-time becuase it doesn't go very high above the horizon and therefore hits you more straight in the eye? Just a theory...

listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

Jan 19, 2005, 22:56
Re: Think Cold Jan 19, 2005, 22:56
Jan 19, 2005, 22:56

I dont know about humidity and air temp affecting sound volume. There is another possibility though, if there is a temp inversion layer it can bounce sound, so it would sound louder

But if you are speaking of the correct thing. inversion isn't that common. It happens, but not as often as it does not happen.

(Inversion is the process that the air above ground level is a higher temp than the air near the ground. So it creates a wall above the ground, where as sound that is beneath it - low flying airplane - has the sound bounce back toward the earth) Is that the one you are talking about?

Cause there are things like cloud cover that acts as a wall, etc. I wrote to a weather guy I used to do techie work for here in Minneapolis. If he writes back I will post it.

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX & Batman

Jan 19, 2005, 22:43
Re: Enterprise cancelled Jan 19, 2005, 22:43
Jan 19, 2005, 22:43

This just proves again that people are not interested in quality anymore.
I have to disagree with you there. I stopped watching TV about two months ago because there is absolutely nothing worth watching on any more. I haven't watched TV for more than 20 minutes in a long time, and I don't miss it at all.

http://citizenb.com/ - Shameless website plug.
Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona.
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

Enterprise cancelled
Jan 19, 2005, 22:30
Enterprise cancelled Jan 19, 2005, 22:30
Jan 19, 2005, 22:30

This just proves again that people are not interested in quality anymore.
Galactica and Enterprise are the best Sci-Fi series out there since a long time with well thought through stories, awesome effects, awesome actors (IMO Enterprise has the best actors used in an ST series EVER) and interesting characters. But those kiddies like cheap crap with stupid actors and dull stories more, namely Stargate, Alias, Farscape, Andromeda etc etc.
Man, this is turning all black...

________
I'm not... gonna... cry... you... dumb... doo-doo brain!
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Jan 19, 2005, 21:57
Re: Think Cold Jan 19, 2005, 21:57
Jan 19, 2005, 21:57

Wow, we are debating which chick from sci-fi TV we want to fuck (SFCIFs ?) and the scientific reasons behind natural phenomena.

What is the nerd quotient of this thread?

P.S. ST:E was downhill all the way from the goop-spreading scenes in the pilot. Maybe a half-dozen good episodes for the entire run. I wish HBO would get off its ass and make a real sci-fi series, so many great space operas out there just waiting for it.

P.P.S. The earth is closer to the sun during winter for the northern hemisphere, but this has nothing to do with how bright the sun appears to the eye. If anything it would seem, on average, that the sun is dimmer during winter to those in the northern hemisphere.

Jan 19, 2005, 20:34
Re: Think Cold Jan 19, 2005, 20:34
Jan 19, 2005, 20:34

I find very attractive in the context of hot alien chicks you could have sexual intercourse with and not die/itch for the rest of your life

or become pregnant from oh that tucker

Mayor Dan
------------
ExcessDan

Sky Captain!
Jan 19, 2005, 20:20
Sky Captain! Jan 19, 2005, 20:20
Jan 19, 2005, 20:20

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was a pretty lame film.

Jan 19, 2005, 19:59
Re: Think Cold Jan 19, 2005, 19:59
Jan 19, 2005, 19:59

Hoshi and T'Pol are BOTH hot....

Oh my - - I just scored 85 on the nerd test - - that can't be good ....

------------------------------------------------
To spread your goop or not to spread; that is the question ...
This comment was edited on Jan 19, 20:09.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: No subject
Jan 19, 2005, 19:42
Re: No subject Jan 19, 2005, 19:42
Jan 19, 2005, 19:42

Ok. 17 on the nerd quiz, 18 on the loser quiz.

So what am I doing here? There must be some fuzzy math in those tests.

Jan 19, 2005, 19:40
Re: Think Cold Jan 19, 2005, 19:40

I dont know about humidity and air temp affecting sound volume. There is another possibility though, if there is a temp inversion layer it can bounce sound, so it would sound louder.

Enahs

Re: Think Cold Jan 19, 2005, 19:40
 Enahs

So I take it there's not many Hoshi centred episodes after the one in second season with the transporter nonsense and her running around in a tiny shirt and exercise pants?

She gets a few shows what are basically entire shows about her in season 3. Do not remember too much of the latter half of season 2 though.
While I agree she is HOT. It is impossible to compare her body to T’Pol’s because of the contrast in clothing. However the actress that plays T’Pol (or her in combo with the make up) has a natural semi-alien/mystic look in her face; which I find very attractive in the context of hot alien chicks you could have sexual intercourse with and not die/itch for the rest of your life.

nin via Mr.Wizzard.
Yes, Zathrus is correct in the opposite of what you said is true.
In fact, the angle of the sun affects the difference in temperature from summer to winter more than the length of day and the distance change to the sun combined. You can logically deduce this with the artic where it can have sun 24/7 yet it is still so damn cold because of the low angle (or you can ignore logic and me and look it up, that is why science is great.).

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Jan 19, 2005, 19:15
WarPig

Re: No subject Jan 19, 2005, 19:15
Jan 19, 2005, 19:15
 WarPig

The thing that really sold me on BSG though is Edward James Olmos. I never liked him before, but he is just doing a damn great job as the commander of the fleet.

You younger guys might not remember this but Edward James Olmos played Lt. Martin Castillo on Miami Vice. For me he was one of the most bad-ass characters I've ever seen on TV. He just talked in this quiet voice that was somehow menacing as hell. When I saw him in "Stand and Deliver" I couldn't believe it was the same guy. Now I'm going to have to catch an episode of Battlestar just to see if he's brought a little Castillo back in this role.

-------------------------------------------------------
"That's inside-out boy. His mouth is in his belly, so he's gotta slap at his vocal chords with his bladder in order to make words."

Jan 19, 2005, 18:43
Re: No subject Jan 19, 2005, 18:43
Jan 19, 2005, 18:43

Can someone explain the oil to me? It doesn't sound economical, clean, or cheap.
I always thought oil was among the cheapest ways of heating your house if you weren't combatting super cold temperatures. Certainly for the mild UK climate oil is among the cheapest ways of heating a large house.

Re: Enterprise
Jan 19, 2005, 18:37
Re: Enterprise Jan 19, 2005, 18:37
Jan 19, 2005, 18:37

She's barely had a dozen lines this season yet, though.

So I take it there's not many Hoshi centred episodes after the one in second season with the transporter nonsense and her running around in a tiny shirt and exercise pants?

Mayor Dan
------------
ExcessDan

Re: Enterprise
Jan 19, 2005, 18:07
Re: Enterprise Jan 19, 2005, 18:07
Jan 19, 2005, 18:07

As for the hot Vulcan chick, I think I might like Hoshi, the communications officer, more.
I'm right there with ya on that one, Dan. She's barely had a dozen lines this season yet, though.

Not to say T'Pol isn't frickin hot, mind you.

edit: that sound you hear is my nerd score ratcheting higher.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 18:08.
A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older