Universal Combat: A World Apart in May

DreamCatcher Games announces they've signed on to publish Universal Combat: A World Apart globally this May, in spite of last year's since-resolved legal clash between the publisher and developer 3000 AD (story). In addition to this stand-alone retail boxed version of the space combat simulation, there will also be a version of A World Apart released as an expansion for the original Universal Combat, but this will only be distributed electronically via various ecommerce sites. More information on the expansion and how it will differ from the boxed edition can be found on this page.
View : : :
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: i heart derek
Jan 16, 2005, 22:12
Re: i heart derek Jan 16, 2005, 22:12
Jan 16, 2005, 22:12

Holy Hell, I haven't seen a run-on sentence that long in years. Have you EVER heard of a period?

Camaro76: 1
People who think I was serious: 0

---------------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

Jan 16, 2005, 14:03
Re: i heart derek Jan 16, 2005, 14:03
Jan 16, 2005, 14:03

i like derek smart he is a really cool guy except for that one time where he banned me from his forem becuase I brought up a bug and didn't read that VCF thingy becaues I wanted to make the ship fly upside down but otherwise you guys are just mean and if you dont like his games then try to make something like this yourself its really really hard and you now what you cant because your just stoopid like that bill huffman guy who says that derek does not have a real phd i mean dereks last name is smart and hes a member of mensa why would he not have a phd and stuff but anyways derek smart is my hero and i want to meet him someday just to tell him how much fun that his games are even if they crash my computer and derek you are the eminem of the gaming world so keep your slim shady ass making those games we love ok?

Holy Hell, I haven't seen a run-on sentence that long in years. Have you EVER heard of a period?

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
StateOfGaming.org Coming Soon
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Well...
Jan 16, 2005, 14:02
Well... Jan 16, 2005, 14:02
Jan 16, 2005, 14:02

Speaking of which, how in the hell can 3000 A.D. take so many losses per year and continue to operate?! The government has this thing that says if a company shows consecutive losses for five years then the company automatically becomes defunct. What the heck is that man running down there in Florida?

He's in Florida, meaning its easier to import stuff from Columbia that he can use 3000AD to launder. The games lose money, but perhaps the company doesn't see?

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
StateOfGaming.org Coming Soon
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Re: finnal thoughts
Jan 16, 2005, 13:18
Re: finnal thoughts Jan 16, 2005, 13:18
Jan 16, 2005, 13:18

Mmmmmm... Cheese! Got to love the community.

Jan 15, 2005, 20:50
Re: finnal thoughts Jan 15, 2005, 20:50
Jan 15, 2005, 20:50

Hey Kxmode cheese put your corny ass in check so much that you should just go hide man youre very cliched unoriginal and CORNY.

Now cheese is original at least he dosent fall back on corny slogans like battlecrap or crapbat.

where is the cheesmiester at anyways?

CHEESE FOR PRES!!!!!!

Jan 15, 2005, 14:35
Kxmode

Re: finnal thoughts Jan 15, 2005, 14:35
Jan 15, 2005, 14:35
 Kxmode

Cheese your posts are TOO LONG and boring. Kind of like Battlecrap 3000, er I mean Universal Crapbat. Yeah... yeah.

"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Re: I love cheeese!
Jan 15, 2005, 12:08
PHJF

Re: I love cheeese! Jan 15, 2005, 12:08
Jan 15, 2005, 12:08
 PHJF

Dec. 15, 2004 - RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 wins best Strategy Game of the year! Read more.

I forgot how awards make a game good. And how RCT3 was so vastly superior to Dawn of War and Rome Total War. I musta just forgot.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Re: I love cheeese!
Jan 15, 2005, 11:36
Re: I love cheeese! Jan 15, 2005, 11:36
Jan 15, 2005, 11:36

Ditto funny funny person i really enjoy reading cheese posts.

CHEESE FOR PRES!!!!!!
CHEESE FOR PRES!!!!!!

I love cheeese!
Jan 15, 2005, 10:24
I love cheeese! Jan 15, 2005, 10:24
Jan 15, 2005, 10:24

CheeeEEEEEEEESSE!

Jan 15, 2005, 04:57
Re: i heart derek Jan 15, 2005, 04:57
Jan 15, 2005, 04:57

Punctuation is your friend.jesus! u could hurt people with ur writings.

as some one said before; derek smart aka cheese. 'nuff said.

but Camaro76 has a point.if u dont like DS then dont buy his product.

it was fun reading all these posts.

Snore snore zzzzzzz
Jan 15, 2005, 03:42
Snore snore zzzzzzz Jan 15, 2005, 03:42
Jan 15, 2005, 03:42

Dec. 15, 2004 - RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 wins best Strategy Game of the year! Read more.

nuff said halfgay i mean halfelf now go to bed. moron

Re: Sweet...
Jan 15, 2005, 03:36
Re: Sweet... Jan 15, 2005, 03:36
Jan 15, 2005, 03:36

All i really need to do is direct you to cheese's first post in this thread or second i forget which one but he clearly states why this smart person was angry.

And you know what? I dont blame derek for getting mad now if you'l excuse me im going to bed cause it seems like cheese has gone to sleep so no more fun till i read his or her posts agian im sowry nite nite.

Re: Sheesh
Jan 15, 2005, 03:34
Re: Sheesh Jan 15, 2005, 03:34
Jan 15, 2005, 03:34

Um Cheese. Frontier produced RCT3, and Atari Published the game. David B was the head of the Development Team. Also Apparently David has worked on the previous titles with Chris Sawyer.

I mean at least get your facts straight Cheese.

And putting Frontier and Smart... well, go ahead and you pay 30-50 bucks for whatever release they put in a box.

Sweet...
Jan 15, 2005, 03:22
Sweet... Jan 15, 2005, 03:22
Jan 15, 2005, 03:22

All you need to know is Derek Smart self appointed doctor is the anti-christ.

While I'll admit he has some good ideas, he just has no clue how to program them. The BC3000 series has a rep of being called a spredsheet manager due to the fact that his games go way beyond the typical call of duty on keyboard commands.

I wonder if anyone has any links to the last time he visited this forums. it's funny to watch him blow up. Not to mention when he was removed by police from Take Two's offices after attacking a soda machine.

Sheesh
Jan 15, 2005, 03:09
Sheesh Jan 15, 2005, 03:09
Jan 15, 2005, 03:09

Calm down there too sweet , im not the entity for that position but thanks for thinking of me and thanks for saying what you did.

I will agian repeat Halfelf is of the mindset of RCT , something a true veteran of space based games wouldnt touch with a ten foot pole.

Only reason Dave published it is cause the former title was and still is one of the TOP selling games of ALL TIME
so he was lucky to be able to get that title the man who designed it Cris Sawyer not Dave Braben dave and Frontier are the publishers in a partnership with Atari.

I will give you credit for one thing however I agree with you on Atari , they are not the Atari that Nolan Bushnell founded in the 80s they are a bunch of young coporate geeks who were still being pottie trained when Atari was formed.

So thats not Atari cept by name alone which they purchased, but Atari screwed up TOEE, and destroyed Axis and Allies,
I highly doubt Dave Braben after working for 12 + years on a project is gonna let Atari or anyone screw Elite 4.

Oh btw Cigs and caffine are #1 sellers even though i dont smoke or drink coffee but you analogy of that as a example was way off. IM going to bed nite peeps see ya tmrow maby.

Cheese
Jan 15, 2005, 02:50
Cheese Jan 15, 2005, 02:50

Holy batmans ghost, your funny and serious all rolled into one, I dont now who this derek smart guy is cause im a casual gamer not hard core like you are but I must say whoever he is he should hire you to do PR or something.

Ive been reading thru so many boring posts lately then i ran across your posts, milk outta your nose? i almost laughed so hard that i had milk comming outta my own nose over that.

Cheese for President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im serious he would prob do alot better than what we have presently.

Btw i have heard of Elite and this halfelf person just got Powned by cheese, time for you to put it to rest man

Cheese is interesting your just grovling up to him or her whatever it is im glad to be alive knowing that ppl like cheese exist.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 02:54.

Cheese
Cheese Jan 15, 2005, 02:50

as I said go over to the RCT3 forums, where you can see David flat out tell people they were playing the game incorrectly, that the patches would be out at a stated time and were not and general come across like a 2bit idiot.

Elite was then, this is now. Frontier has major hurdles to jump as a developer before I will trust them or Atari again with computer games.

RCT3 is a perfect example. The vast majority of the previous games were ported over and a 3d engine was attached. But what is really bad is when people who have played the daylights out of the previous game are flat out told that they are playing the game incorrectly is absurd. I mean some of the bugs that shipped with this game go way beyond being overlooked, and now 2 or 3 days ago we finally got another patch to fix issues. After we were told it was going to be Before Xmas, then told the Week of Jan the 3rd.

Don't care if he invented caffine and niccotine I ain't buying another product from Frontier.

Dave Braben
Jan 15, 2005, 01:52
Dave Braben Jan 15, 2005, 01:52
Jan 15, 2005, 01:52

The original game, ELITE, shook the computer games industry to its foundations as the first 3D polygon space simulation back in the mid 1980s.

The game was an unprecedented success and grew to such cult status that games'players formed their 'ELITE Fan Club'.
A feat yet to be repeated the standard was set and gave rise to a multitude of sci-fi simulation 'wannabees'.

And Elite 2 Frontier had 100,000,000,000 planets , moons and stars all generated in accordance with current theories of planet formation.

All programed into a 1 meg disk.

My gosh do you have any inkling who your calling retarded?

This guy Mr Braben and Ian Bell programed what was thought to be impossible lets go over that agian 100,000,000,000 planets , moons, and stars, and you know what ? All of the planets and moons but not stars could be landed on , many had starports and working stock markets. I LOVED that game it was the bomb it was impossible to do but they did it and NO ONE has even come close to that mark and that was released back in the 80s.

Fast foward to 2005 Mr Dave Braben is the president of Frontier studios, and has secretly been working on Elite 4 for like 10 or 15 years now , its very near the end of completion and you come on here mocking Frontier for there "RCT forum" which is playing to a totally different mindset than the crowd whos been waiting for Elite 4.

Ive been in this game a while and must say your just talking out of your ass to think a combination of DS and DB would produce a retarded title.

you must not like space based games so why the F are you hear posting then ? making fun of the ppl who are making games that #1 you like but are to retarded yourself to admitt it or
#2 your board and have nothing better to do than sling out some unfounded garb about Frontier Studios and Dave Braben.

Dave can do no wrong as far as DS goes he screwed up Universal Combat with a shite joystick routine, same one from BCM but only worse>

But put them both together and BOOM im in heaven and youre in Hell i dont get it but thats cool cause im sure after reading this you wont get it either. bye.

i heart derek
Jan 15, 2005, 01:29
i heart derek Jan 15, 2005, 01:29
Jan 15, 2005, 01:29

i like derek smart he is a really cool guy except for that one time where he banned me from his forem becuase I brought up a bug and didn't read that VCF thingy becaues I wanted to make the ship fly upside down but otherwise you guys are just mean and if you dont like his games then try to make something like this yourself its really really hard and you now what you cant because your just stoopid like that bill huffman guy who says that derek does not have a real phd i mean dereks last name is smart and hes a member of mensa why would he not have a phd and stuff but anyways derek smart is my hero and i want to meet him someday just to tell him how much fun that his games are even if they crash my computer and derek you are the eminem of the gaming world so keep your slim shady ass making those games we love ok?

---------------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

Um Cheese...
Jan 15, 2005, 01:12
Um Cheese... Jan 15, 2005, 01:12
Jan 15, 2005, 01:12

Perhaps you should go over to the Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Forums that Frontier recently released. Putting the 2 together would be the equivlent of letting retarded kids who like pushing buttons be in charge of a nuclear weapon with a remote with 1 big shiney button.

And Derek if your out there watching (which you typically do cause I guess it must be fun or something), please go to get a real degree in something other then computer software. Hell your a imaginitive guy, why not start your own book club or something and make tech manuals for all the crap games you've released.

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older