Wish Cancelled

Mutable Realms sends word that Wish, their MMORPG, has been cancelled after a brief period of beta testing. The beta ended last night, and it sounds from the announcement that Mutable Realms will not continue as an entity beyond this point either:
Dear friends of Wish:

Unfortunately we have bad news.

After careful consideration of all the facts and analyzing all the data which we have gathered from the Wish Beta 2.0 test so far, we have decided to cancel the Wish project.

Our Beta test will end this evening at 6pm EST, and at this time our Beta forums will close as well.

We enjoyed working together with our fans very much, and we are very sorry about this development. We wish you the best of luck in the future, and hope that you continue to enjoy online gaming, even with Mutable Realms and Wish not being available anymore.

We also wish the best luck to our competitors, and hope that they will not suffer the same fate as us.
View : : :
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

No subject
Jan 11, 2005, 14:17
Kxmode

No subject Jan 11, 2005, 14:17
Jan 11, 2005, 14:17
 Kxmode

pwned and WISHful thinking.

"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Re: No subject
Jan 11, 2005, 08:49
Re: No subject Jan 11, 2005, 08:49
Jan 11, 2005, 08:49

A good crpg should be solo, should be without npcs grouping to form parties and should not be coop or have any multiplayer.

I hope you meant that in jest. Do you truly believe it SHOULDN'T be co-op? Come on! Think about it. The first real (good) CRPGs were D&D world conversions. Pen and Paper D&D is MULTI-player co-op. So the co-op CRPGs of today more closely model PnP DnD than a single player one ever could, just from the mere fact that you are questing with REAL people who make their own decisions, as opposed to you making the decisions for 4 other people in your party.

Don't get me wrong. There were/are some great SP CRPGS...but thats just an outrageous statement to make that a good one SHOULD be SP only.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio!
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com
This comment was edited on Jan 11, 09:18.
Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202

No subject
Jan 11, 2005, 08:43
No subject Jan 11, 2005, 08:43
Jan 11, 2005, 08:43

Well there are a few mmorpg's that could easily be scaled back to make for a single player RPG. City of Hero's is the first that comes to mind.

And besides World of Warcraft the other MMORPG that I am/was looking forward to was True Fantasy Live for the Xbox. But it turns out the game is being retooled for the next version of Xbox.

Jan 11, 2005, 07:23
Re: No subject Jan 11, 2005, 07:23
Jan 11, 2005, 07:23

A good crpg should be solo, should be without npcs grouping to form parties and should not be coop or have any multiplayer.

Got news for you. Majority of the gamers out there want multiplayer in their games, whether it be on PC or Consoles.
Most games that are single-player only die a quick death because there is nothing to keep people playing. Multiplayer adds value and longevity to a game.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com

Jan 11, 2005, 03:46
Re: No subject Jan 11, 2005, 03:46
Jan 11, 2005, 03:46

Correction. A good CRPG doesn't *need* coop or multiplayer, but there's no reason why it can't be there as an option.

http://www.davidcsimon.com

No subject
Jan 10, 2005, 23:11
No subject Jan 10, 2005, 23:11
Jan 10, 2005, 23:11

Morrowind was really cool, but there was something sort of sterile about it, since there were no "living" players in the game with you.

Morrowind was sterile because the game world was sterile. Mostly because the npc's other than quests really had nothing to say or did anything. "Excuse me, can I help you?, Move along." Thats bad design not a lack of people.

We dont need no stinkin people for games. Think fallout, fallout2, planescape, kotor, Gothic. People dont make a game good. I like games, I like food, I like sex and having a bunch of strangers along sitting beside be, grabbing my fries, or humping my leg dont make it better.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 23:12.

No subject
Jan 10, 2005, 22:54
Tim
No subject Jan 10, 2005, 22:54
Jan 10, 2005, 22:54
Tim

There should an Aviation MMORPG where the entire world was modeled to say, tenth the size. Players would start out training in small Piper Cub with a licensed pilot until they themselves qualified for a Pilot license. Then they would move on to the larger aircraft if they choose, perhaps twin piston aircraft. It would be a period game, let say set in the 1940's (expansions would be proceeding decades). The classes could be private pilot, for those who like to fly around and see the sights from afar, commercial pilot that would pick up NPC’s at terminals and fly them around for franks and the such.

I can't wait for a real eugenics movement, i'm bored by short people.

Amen
Jan 10, 2005, 22:33
Amen Jan 10, 2005, 22:33
Jan 10, 2005, 22:33

Always make personal backups of your work, cuz you never know when it'll all become unavailable to you.

I lost most of my frist ten years of work in mear seconds when the guy who owned it all decided that instead of contracting to him, I was now in compation to him. Hoestly, I could see the moment in his eyes when I went from friend to enemy.

Jan 10, 2005, 22:04
Re: No subject Jan 10, 2005, 22:04
Jan 10, 2005, 22:04

I sure hope MxO doesn't get axed. I'm enjoying the BETA...understand that may not be for everyone - especially those Matrix haters. But I'm digging it for now.

Jan 10, 2005, 21:09
Re: No subject Jan 10, 2005, 21:09
Jan 10, 2005, 21:09

I was on the MxO beta (Ooops I broke their NDA for saying that) and I found it to be a no different than Linage 2, or Knight Online. Just the surface was different with the Matrix motif. I'd probably like it better if it was more like GTA and be able to jack the cars that are driving around the streets.

I was VERY disappointed with MxO. It plays too much like all the other MMORPGs that are already out there. I was hoping for something different considering it was using the monolith engine (if I'm not mistaken).

Having to run around all frickin' day and killing piss-ant NPCs with a pathetic weapon (gun) and not getting anywhere, getting killed to easily by those NPCs. Hardly any real interaction with online players. Too much like a typical hack-n-slash game, and I'm sick of these games.

I was also on WoW for a short while. Same old thing, but at LEAST it was WELL POLISHED even for a BETA. They did a good job on this game, but alas, it get monotonous for me.

You'd think I'd get sick and tired of FPS games, but for some reason I don't. While FPS may be more monotonous to some people, I don't think they are. Some games might get old and dull too quick (*cough* Doom 3 *cough*) many games I still find engaging. UT2004, and most of the mods and add ons for Half Life are still great!

__ FRAGaLOT
http://home.comcast.net/~zalle2/blog.htm
__ FRAGaLOT

Jan 10, 2005, 20:20
Re: No subject Jan 10, 2005, 20:20
Jan 10, 2005, 20:20

Golly, I'm so surprised. Yep, Matrix Online is next to get axed (or die shortly thereafter). Bring on D&D Online!

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums."
- The Sphinx, Mystery Men
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Jan 10, 2005, 20:08
Re: No subject Jan 10, 2005, 20:08
Jan 10, 2005, 20:08

I typically only party with my wife and we play thru the quests together.

Same. Although we play EQ2. We primarily play as just the two of us in a gruop, althopugh we have the occasional real life friend who joins into the group for an evening or two.

The trouble with EQ2 and this is really my one main gripe is that the quests/creatures are good for single players (Although they are admittedly fairly rare), or they are good for groups of three or more, which means we have to be carefulla botu the groups we attack.

Also this solo vs 3 person group extends to the crafting system. You have to get to know other crafters which kind of sucks as im really not that interested in talking to others and striking up online friendships in a game that i/we play off and on.

Its a shame that there are not more/any two player missions designed specifically for couples, thats an expansion pack i would pay real money for.

------
$1 tax for the national debt?
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

Jan 10, 2005, 19:57
Re: No subject Jan 10, 2005, 19:57
Jan 10, 2005, 19:57

Even though they had 68,000 downloads of the beta client, it's still pretty smallish compared to the half a million or so that WoW got.

You can't always go by raw numbers with some of these MMOG's. it all depends on what their overhead was. Endless Ages, a pretty nifty little MMOG, has a tiny (relatively) user base but they only have all of 3 people working on content so they can pull down a profit with numbers that other publishers would commit ritual suicide over. Neocron has less than 10 people working on that game I beleive. "A Tale in the Desert" is another. Theres several more that get very little exposure and appeal to a small-ish user base but are making a tidy profit by being smart/efficient.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes I dream about....cheese. Here, have a medkit"
- Half Life 2 NPC
This comment was edited on Jan 10, 19:58.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Jan 10, 2005, 19:40
Re: No subject Jan 10, 2005, 19:40
Jan 10, 2005, 19:40

Owned. I hope this signals the demise of MMORPGs and the beginning of a new single player CRPG rennaissance.

There's still something to be said for a good MMORPG experience. I primarily play WoW like a single player RPG (or at least a LAN based one). I typically only party with my wife and we play thru the quests together. I don't typically like partying with others, but there is still something cool about having someone (a real player) come over and help you out of a jam or you doing the same for them. Is this type of experience worth an extra 15 bucks a month? Can't answer for others...but it is for me and my wife. Morrowind was really cool, but there was something sort of sterile about it, since there were no "living" players in the game with you.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio!
Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202

No subject
Jan 10, 2005, 19:27
No subject Jan 10, 2005, 19:27
Jan 10, 2005, 19:27

Owned. I hope this signals the demise of MMORPGs and the beginning of a new single player CRPG rennaissance.

Re: Up Next...Matrix Online
Jan 10, 2005, 19:11
Re: Up Next...Matrix Online Jan 10, 2005, 19:11
Jan 10, 2005, 19:11

a catchy phrase for the MMORPG bubble bursting?

Massively Multiplayer Offline Role Playing Game?

No subject
Jan 10, 2005, 19:07
No subject Jan 10, 2005, 19:07
Jan 10, 2005, 19:07

I'm sad for the developers, but I'll shed no tears over Wish. The interface was counterintuitive, point'n'click was infuriating and visually it was very uninspired.

Hopefully, as developers realise that MMOGs have reached saturation point, they might start makign some *decent* solo RPGs again. Take the kind of technology you get in a MMORPG and combine it with the the gameplay of Morrowind, instant hit!

http://www.davidcsimon.com

Re: Wish
Jan 10, 2005, 19:05
Re: Wish Jan 10, 2005, 19:05
Jan 10, 2005, 19:05

Hopefully each programmer made a =personal= backup of the code they worked on so they don't have to waste another 4 years re-inventing some clever coding technique they discovered and developed.

Assuming somebody hasn't already patented it in the meantime.

-------------------
If you're a European sign the anti-software-patents petition at:
http://petition.eurolinux.org/

Re: Up Next...Matrix Online
Jan 10, 2005, 18:32
Re: Up Next...Matrix Online Jan 10, 2005, 18:32
Jan 10, 2005, 18:32

I'd just like to chip in on my own WoW experiance. I too didn't have to grind at all (Except to get money for my mount, but that was completly optional :D)

The trick is if you exaust all of the yellow quests in one area, then move to a new area. You'll most certainly stay ahead of the curve then.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

Re: Wish
Jan 10, 2005, 18:15
xx
Re: Wish Jan 10, 2005, 18:15
Jan 10, 2005, 18:15
xx

i thought the controls were very wonky and i gave up during the tutorial when i had to make a fire and cook some meat. its interface for learning and crafting was off the wall imho. heck, all the interfaces seemed awkward.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older