EQ2 Adventure Pack

SOE talks EverQuest II updates on GameSpot has advance word on an upcoming announcement of plans for an Adventure Pack for EverQuest II, a hybrid free/paid expansion for the MMORPG sequel:
The first part of the adventure pack will come as a free download. All of the game's subscribers will be able to sink their swords into a new zone, fight new enemies, and so on. There will also be some new quests in this area for all players. Some of these quests will flesh out the lore behind the game's dark elf race and at least partially explain what has transpired in the 500 years that lie between the original EverQuest and EverQuest II. If players want to continue down this story path, they will have to pay what's been described as a "small fee" to download the rest of the adventure pack's content and continue on. Players that choose not to participate will still be allowed to adventure in this new zone and experience at least some of the new content. If the idea's a hit, SOE will likely follow with more adventure packs in the same vein. Some may continue where an existing adventure pack leaves off, though it's also possible that future content offerings may tell an entirely different story. If the price is right, EQII's adventure packs could be a cool solution to provide small chunks of more involving content on a more regular basis than you'd expect from the previous model of occasional expansion packs. That said, SOE certainly hasn't completely eliminated the concept of a retail expansion for EQII, either.
View : : :
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer

Here we go...
Jan 7, 2005, 10:06
Here we go... Jan 7, 2005, 10:06
Jan 7, 2005, 10:06

Here we go...the inevitable tide of expansions begins.

How is EQ2 doing, anyway? Whats its current subscriber base? I heard it wasn't doing so well...

Re: Here we go...
Jan 7, 2005, 10:08
Re: Here we go... Jan 7, 2005, 10:08

I am ready for this new adventure I think, I just need directions on how to get there. I am starting in Stormwind, where do I go from there?

Interesting
Interesting Jan 7, 2005, 10:08

That's an interesting way to add content: closer to a pay as you play model, in some respects. Of course, it all depends on the price point.

On the other hand, City of Heroes is on its 3rd free expansion, and each one adds a lot more to the mix.

Jan 7, 2005, 10:23
Re: Here we go... Jan 7, 2005, 10:23
Jan 7, 2005, 10:23

How is EQ2 doing, anyway? Whats its current subscriber base? I heard it wasn't doing so well...

from what I understand, many of the original EQ players have migrated to WoW. I've been playing EQ2 since the beta and am rather enoying it (in light of the fact I'm not even an RPG fan). Lots of things to do, beautiful scenery etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes I dream about....cheese. Here, have a medkit"
- Half Life 2 NPC
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Jan 7, 2005, 10:41
Re: Here we go... Jan 7, 2005, 10:41
Jan 7, 2005, 10:41

In the article is states that there is 310,000 paying subscribers.

Jan 7, 2005, 10:44
Re: Here we go... Jan 7, 2005, 10:44
Jan 7, 2005, 10:44

I tried it and I couldn't get into the dungeons and dragons crap. The engine is really cool though. I'd like to see someone take it and make a good looking sci-fi MMORPG. The voice dialog from NPC's is awesome (instead of plain old text)

If you like the same old-same old D&D shite, this game might be for you.

As for WoW, looks like a poorly drawn cartoon, but I hear it plays better than EQ2. Again.. not my style of game.

As for me, I went back to SWG cause the JTL expansion is awesome and they are making some killer changes. One of which is Upgrading the combat system. Not "changing" it, but upgrading it.

---
http://www.oceas.com/SpreadFireFox
--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

No subject
Jan 7, 2005, 10:47
No subject Jan 7, 2005, 10:47
Jan 7, 2005, 10:47

Nice, this is truly Sony doing what it does best (milking cash), let me guess, they release an 'expansion' every 6 months and people are kinda forced to buy it otherwise they will feel seperated or left behind from the rest of the player base. Slow down please, yes I did expect to see EQ2 expansions but not this soon.

Sony copied many things from Blizzard and WoW maybe they could copy the most important part: make outstanding games in the first place, and then you wont have to rely on a bombardment of expansions to make money. I dont mean to slate Sony or EQ2 but it was clearly clearly rushed out the door unfinished and certainly unpolished.

Most of what I have said here is void IF they have a completly seperate team JUST for expansions (so the main team remains working on the main release of EQ2) but I find this oh so very hard to believe. Just watch, all the features that should have been in release (or at least it would have made sense to have them in release and not later on) will have to be paid for as part of expantions lol.

bottom line: make cash by making your game better (= more subscribers) not by charging people for what should have been there in the first place.

Jan 7, 2005, 11:02
Re: Here we go... Jan 7, 2005, 11:02
Jan 7, 2005, 11:02

I haven't heard any official numbers, but I was trying to buy WoW as a Christmas present in the two weeks prior to Christmas. I couldn't find a store that had a copy in stock during that entire time, but every store had lots of copies of EQ2.

I finally had to pre-purchase a copy from a store who was getting in a shipment on Dec 23rd. Nothing like last minute...

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 11:03.
--
Stin

Re: No subject
Jan 7, 2005, 11:04
Re: No subject Jan 7, 2005, 11:04
Jan 7, 2005, 11:04

I don't know how left behind people will be. Lots of players haven't bought the JTL expansion for Star Wars, and it doesn't really effect them much.

The other part of your argument is plain retarded. That's like telling the makers of the SIMS game that they should have had all the stuff from their countless expansions in the game from the begining....

Players want expansions. They want the game to evolve and they don't mind paying for it. It's better than having the game go stale. Jump To Lightspeed for SWG came out recently, it kicks ass, and players are still wondering what the next expansion will be. (more planets I hope)

If these game companies put all this stuff in at the begening, the games would never finish and be released. It's simply not possible. Try to imagine all the people and money SOE threw at EQ2.

Of course a large part of this is for SOE to continue making money off the game's expansions. That's just good business.

---
http://www.oceas.com/SpreadFireFox
--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Jan 7, 2005, 11:33
Re: Here we go... Jan 7, 2005, 11:33
Jan 7, 2005, 11:33

As for WoW, looks like a poorly drawn cartoon, but I hear it plays better than EQ2.

I wouldn't say "poorly drawn", but it is very cartoonish. The art is based on the Warcraft games, which is cartoonish in nature, but I still think it looks awesome. And the animations of players and NPC's alike are amazingly detailed. Even lions on the prarie will stop, stretch and yawn every now and then, then plop down on the ground and take a nap.

And the lower detail allows you to take part in huge battles without lag. I play on the PvP server, so I take part in many raids. I've been in raids with around 50 people on each side fighting it out in the same place with NO lag. I'd like to see the EQ2 engine do that.

I haven't played EQ2 yet, so I can't say that WoW is better, only from what I've heard. I did play EQ for about a year, and it wasn't even close to as good as WoW. In WoW you're ALWAYS doing a quest, you never go out and slaughter creatures just for the xp and ph4t l3wt. You always have a reason to be killing stuff, assassinating someone, finding an object, talking to an NPC, etc.

Jan 7, 2005, 11:37
Re: Here we go... Jan 7, 2005, 11:37
Jan 7, 2005, 11:37

Am I the only one who thinks that this should be covered by the monthly fee? I mean this isn't an expansion pack, but is added content which is why you pay the monthly fee...

Jan 7, 2005, 12:29
Re: Here we go... Jan 7, 2005, 12:29
Jan 7, 2005, 12:29

I think it should be free. I've slowed my eq2 playing alot out of boredom because i'm not a really good xp grinder. If you're sub 20 you have 1 main adveture zone to go to and that's it.

Jan 7, 2005, 12:33
Re: Here we go... Jan 7, 2005, 12:33
Jan 7, 2005, 12:33

After having beta tested WoW for a few months and then deciding to go play EQ2 ( the no race class restriction thing really hooked me...Troll Bard, Halfling Monk anyone?:) I was amazed at how similar the games play.

Game play in fact is almost identical. Both games start you off in a low level area, both games set you on a course of simple starting quests to get you going. After the initial warmup period both games have TONS of quests to accomplish. Neither are like the old EQ 1 where its killing for killing sake ( unless you wish to). Every time you go out in the field you are looking to accomplish Task X for Reward Y. Speed of gameplay is also almost identical. Fast attacks, nice animations and fast recharge times on spells. Even some of the small details are identical ( griffin transportation system anyone?).

The biggest differences(out side of PvP) are the graphics and the crafting system. In EQ crafting is its own 'mob encounter' where you have to cast the right 'spell' else you take damage and end up with an inferior product. WoW uses a more simple add component A ,B + C press button ( POOF) item. Graphics are obvious. EQ2= high polygon realistic models. WoW= high quality cartoonish models and scenery.

Bottom line: both are great games which play nearly identical. The determining factor over which to play comes down to 4 things: Graphics, PvP, Tradeskills, and Race/Class Restrictions.

Hmm I think this is my second post here:)....I know I'm under 10 heheh:)

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 12:34.

Jan 7, 2005, 13:06
Re: Here we go... Jan 7, 2005, 13:06
Jan 7, 2005, 13:06

What levels are the top characters in EQ2?

One reason I chose WoW over EQ2 (other than PvP) is because I'm more of a casual gamer and I heard the level grind was worse in EQ2. I'm only at level 30 right now since playing from the week it was released, but I don't feel the grind and have quested all the way through along with doing instances. My guild has several maxed level 60s, which is where the real PvP begins.

Bah
Jan 7, 2005, 13:39
Bah Jan 7, 2005, 13:39
Jan 7, 2005, 13:39

Take it from me i defended EQ2 very much indeed at launch but after reaching lvl 30 this game sucks. im hesitant to try WoW cause i really thought that to be too much like EQ1 so im waiting for GuildWars thank you, which is free online btw. THE Grind after 30 is unbearable and after 30 dont even try to solo in EQ2 cause the area in which you can are very limited , its a Group only type of game and no PvP so EQ2 Thumbs down. canceled it even though i had 2 weeks left i had paid for lol

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 13:42.

Jan 7, 2005, 14:30
Xii
Re: Here we go... Jan 7, 2005, 14:30
Jan 7, 2005, 14:30
Xii

lol!

Get on your mount and I think it is somewhere past Darkshire.

Re: Bah
Jan 7, 2005, 14:31
Re: Bah Jan 7, 2005, 14:31
Jan 7, 2005, 14:31

Beta-tested both and they both suck IMHO.

EQ2 is like a big chocolate candy. Like one of those cadberry(sp) eggs on easter. You bite into the thin chocolate shell hoping to find a rich creamy center and.. theres nothing there but the shell.

WoW was supposed to take what others had done and improve upon them. THing is from what I experienced in a few months in beta was that the improvements aren't even there. I STILL spent time playing a generic based fantasy MMOG. I still spent my time camping a field with 25 other people trying to kill 10 pigs. But only 5 pigs spawn every minute.. it sucked. It got better and some quests are definately cooler but I'd rather play my two currents any day. SWG and CoH.

People say that this is typical SOE. No it's not. Do you see Planetside or SWG releasing expansions or partial expansions every 6 months (this is more like one of CoH's 'mini-expansions, that you get for FREE every 4 odd months). Do you see SWG or Planetside offering partial content or trying to get you to pay more for stuff that you should have gotten for your $15 in Planetside or SWG? No, you don't. This is the EQ crew relying on the old ways of milking people for every penny. SWG has released one expansion, it cost $30 bucks, required no additional fee's and that expansion was 10 times better then ANY EQ ever had.

EQ & EQ2's team is just greedy little biatches. "Adventure Pack' please...

Out of the two, WoW is way better. But it's still far to generic and same-old same-old for me. Besides the first time I saw that dark elves have big floppy donkey ears.. I thought 'these guys aren't serious are they?'

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 14:34.

No subject
Jan 7, 2005, 14:33
No subject Jan 7, 2005, 14:33
Jan 7, 2005, 14:33

LoL, I wonder if SOE is now hesitant on when to release their first $$$ expansion pack for EQ2 while waiting for Blizzard to make it's first move. Hmmm.

Face your Fears, Live your Dreams, No Fear -Manny Pacquiao

Jan 7, 2005, 14:41
Kxmode

Re: Here we go... Jan 7, 2005, 14:41
Jan 7, 2005, 14:41
 Kxmode

Are you kidding? Stormwind in EQ2? Ummm... there's a Stormwind in WOW too and it happens to be a human strong hold.

"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Eh...
Jan 7, 2005, 15:27
Eh... Jan 7, 2005, 15:27
Jan 7, 2005, 15:27

My roomate the die hard EQ fan went out and bought the CE edition of EQ2. He has maybe played 10 hours of it. So I got him to play the 10 day pass from my WoW CE. And guess what. He's looking to get WoW. And he cannot stand EQ2. As for me I tried EQ2. Got my little newb off the island only to find out the 'rail' system doesn't stop there. Now there is this lady in my apt who just won't go away. She sent me on a quest to the catacombs. Hell if I know if I got there, and good luck asking in game as I spent 2 hours trying to find this place.

When 5 gig processors with 2 gigs of ram and one hell of a graphics card come out I might try EQ2 again but as it stands I don't care for it.

And Free expansion? Please, this is probably left over content that didn't get shipped with the game, and SOE is trying to get more players either to come back or try EQ2.

WoW happy and loving it.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer