Evening Q&As

• DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil
    There's a DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil Preview on GameSpy interspersed with quotes from id's Matt Hooper about the upcoming shooter expansion, a similar DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil Preview on IGN that hears from Matt as well as Tim Willits.
  • World of Warcraft
    Eurogamer's World of Warcraft Q&A speaks with producer Shane Dabiri about Blizzard's MMORPG: "We have a lot of respect for the other companies making games in this genre. Since working on World of Warcraft, we have become well aware of the commitment and dedication it requires from a developer to not only produce one, but to also support it for years to come. We feel World of Warcraft will help break MMOs out of their current niche market. With millions of dedicated Blizzard fans from our other games, we think World of Warcraft will not only draw in the hardcore MMO gamers, but newcomers as well. We've taken steps and designed our game to ensure that it is compelling and easy for anyone who has never played an MMO before. It is our hope to have the largest online community for a game of its type worldwide."
  • Lineage II
    RPG Vault's Lineage II: The Chaotic Chronicle Team Q&A #1 chats with the folks at NCsoft, asking about favorite characters to play and interesting locations to visit in their MMORPG sequel.
  • The Sims 2
    The Sims 2 Q&A on Fragland.net talks with Maxis senior producer Tim LeTourneau about the virtual life sequel and its upcoming collegiate expansion: "The problem with adding sports into the Sims is that you can’t control the players in the game, for example: if you play volleybal, you can tell your Sim to play volleyball, but you cannot control the game or the ball - and that’s not a satisfying gameplay experience."
  • Super Tito
    The Super Tito Q&A on Experience Gaming talks with Louis Dimsdale and Ferdinand Kreozot about their upcoming platformer: "Tito is a very hard working Janitor in the Intergalactic Star Fleet and he’s just been let off for the weekend early. So he’s heading home in his little UFO to surprise is Girl friend Yoni with a night out on the town. But when he gets there, he finds she’s not home and on a photo shoot at Pirate Planet. So he head off there to try and find her and that’s where his adventure starts."
View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

No subject
Jan 7, 2005, 14:55
No subject Jan 7, 2005, 14:55
Jan 7, 2005, 14:55

The point is that Half Life 2 fans act like a bunch of whiny 10-year-olds who can't accept criticism of any kind. I hate to break it to you, but everything that was in Half Life 2 has been done before, and better, in other games, more original games.

Take Postal 2 for instance; it got a lot of bad reviews by gamers and critics, but still became something of a cult hit. I can do things in Postal 2 that I can't do in any other first person shooter on the market. When pedestrians see you doing something weird, such as climbing telephone poles, they gather around in crowds and shout at you. You can use cats as silencers. All in one day you can invade a Taliban base, cause elephants to riot, and set a library on fire.

Half Life 2? Run to point A, shoot things, run to point B, shoot things, on and on. Repel the alien invasion all by yourself, Gordon. Oh, but I can plug stuff into walls! Truly brilliant game design, thank you Valve! I always wanted to do that.

Half Life 2 is good for 13-year-olds and people who have never played a first person shooter before. It's not so much a sequel or continuation of Half Life's story as it is a combination of elements that were invented by other game companies in far superior games. But go on and flame me, it doesn't matter. Half Life 2 is overrated no matter how you look at it.

Doom3 vs. Half-Life 2
Jan 7, 2005, 14:23
Kxmode

Doom3 vs. Half-Life 2 Jan 7, 2005, 14:23
Jan 7, 2005, 14:23
 Kxmode

The only difference between both is Half-Life 2 looked great in broad daylight, DOOM3 did not. End of story.

"The present is a veil between anticipation and horror. Lift the veil... and madness may follow." source

Re:
Jan 7, 2005, 13:29
Re: Jan 7, 2005, 13:29
Jan 7, 2005, 13:29

I played both.... still have both and, unlike many games before them, have no desire to play through them again..

Attacking sponge for offering his opinion.... part of what these boards are for, I believe.. followed by a drooling, grovelling, unabashed bit of solo repartee about Half Life 2... guarantee's I won't take you seriously.... Then again,if that's something you'll lose sleep over, you need help;P

For the moment, my only hope is that F.E.A.R is something great and, based on what was NOLF 2.... that's possible, maybe even probable..

Re: Doom 3
Jan 7, 2005, 09:44
Rigs

Re: Doom 3 Jan 7, 2005, 09:44
Jan 7, 2005, 09:44
 Rigs

You know what, flame the fuck out of me, I don't care...DOOM 3 SUCKED!!!111

Get over it already. They tried. Good for them. They released an engine with a half-ass thought out game wrapped around it...

I don't even see how you can compare HL2 to Doom3? Half-Life 2 is a game, everything wrapped up into one coherent, kick ass package (story, graphics, sound, physics). Doom3 is a presentation showing off a graphics, sound and physics engine. If you can't handle that fact, then don't freakin' open your mouth. There's no point. We won't take you seriously...

=-Rigs-=

"I still have nightmares about that cat..." - Barney, HL2
'Sorry, we thought you were dead.'
'I was. I'm better now.'

Jan 7, 2005, 07:36
Re: Doom 3 Jan 7, 2005, 07:36
Jan 7, 2005, 07:36

That wasn't the case in MP, nor was MP far from the first game to use it. Unless Viewtiful Joe is a ripoff of Max Payne too?

But the majority don't bash HL2 for it's cliche after cliche single player. VEHICLES! CREATIVE! ZOMBIES IN GRAVEYARDS? WHO WOULDVE THUNK IT.

NOTE: I ENJOYED BOTH GAMES. THEY WERE BOTH FUN.

just to appease the idiots who will undoubetly flame me.

Though personally, Ravenholm was the shittiest part of the game.

Anyway, these new screenshots seem to also show that they've fixed the everything is shiny problem. The game looks even more sweet now.

[edit]Talking about this one in particular: http://media.pc.ign.com/media/710/710432/img_2532136.html?fromint=1
This comment was edited on Jan 7, 07:40.

Re: Doom is dead...
Jan 7, 2005, 07:09
Re: Doom is dead... Jan 7, 2005, 07:09
Jan 7, 2005, 07:09

When are the annoying Super Tito fans going to stop pissing on every single other platformer containing a janitor in the Intergalactic Star Fleet and realize that their game wasn't all that great?

Re: Doom is dead...
Jan 7, 2005, 06:34
Re: Doom is dead... Jan 7, 2005, 06:34
Jan 7, 2005, 06:34

Wait, no one wants to talk about Super Tito?

Doom is dead...
Jan 7, 2005, 02:42
Doom is dead... Jan 7, 2005, 02:42
Jan 7, 2005, 02:42

Doom 3 prooved it and everything in the expansion is a blatant rip off. Gravity Gun, and Bullet Time.

If anyone from Id is reading this. Please quit trying to make games and stick to what your good at. Making Engines.

And if anyone from Raven Software is reading this. Please for the love of god make some games with the Source Engine. As I for one would love to see a Jedi Knight Game by Raven with Source.

No subject
Jan 7, 2005, 02:25
Tim
No subject Jan 7, 2005, 02:25
Jan 7, 2005, 02:25
Tim

When did Doom 3 become every single other first person shooter?

I can't wait for a real eugenics movement, i'm bored by short people.

Eh...
Jan 7, 2005, 00:46
Eh... Jan 7, 2005, 00:46
Jan 7, 2005, 00:46

Half Life 2 might have not been great, but it was a hell of alot better then Doom 3. I can see it now. "Doom 3 Expansion: Now Rendering more shadows."

Jan 6, 2005, 23:40
Re: Doom 3 Jan 6, 2005, 23:40
Jan 6, 2005, 23:40

When are the annoying Half Life fans going to stop pissing on every single other first person shooter and realize that their game wasn't all that great?

Jan 6, 2005, 22:57
Re: Doom 3 Jan 6, 2005, 22:57
Jan 6, 2005, 22:57

Haha, I was just about to post the same quote. I'm trying to work out what the "so many other cool things going on" were. No surprise that they suddenly realise what's *actually* cool after playing HL2.

Even if they'd put it in, it wouldn't have been implemented as well as the Grav Gun, I'm sure, though it sure would have stolena bit of Valve's thunder.

And they've stolen bullet-time from Max Payne as well.. they claim it's different because the player stays at normal speed while the world slows down, but I believe that was the case in MP2 as well.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 23:12.

Doom 3
Jan 6, 2005, 22:38
Enahs

Doom 3 Jan 6, 2005, 22:38
Jan 6, 2005, 22:38
 Enahs

This expansion pack is sounding pretty good, a lot better than Doom 3 actually.

Though:”
It would be easy to treat the weapon as a knockoff of the gravity gun, but -- as was the case with Half-Life 2 -- the gadget was borne out of something the team had already been using during the creation of DOOM 3. "It's one of those things that's just fun, and we've had it around in our engine," Hooper explains, "we actually used it as a tool throughout development where we'd grab physics objects and place them around the world." While there was some thought to adding the gun to DOOM 3, the team decided against it. "We talked about that quite a few times, but we had such a big arsenal of weapons, and so many other cool things going on, that it was just one of those things that never made it in."

I bet they kicked the hell out of their selves after it was soo damn popular in HL2!

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older