Out of the Blue

So many responses to my comment about MrsBlue's idea that I have a kidney stone pretty well confirm what I have suspected all along... that if I had one, I would not be unsure about it at all. The theory that better explains what I am suffering with is that I may have some soft of urinary tract infection. Following that thinking I have been chugging some cranberry juice based on the conventional wisdom on the topic, and sure enough I am feeling better already... sounds like I still need to see a doctor to clear this up completely, but from all the kidney stone horror stories folks have shared, I certainly have reason to be thankful that this doesn't seem to be what's going on here.

R.I.P.: Creator of Popular Bundt Pan Dies at 86. Thanks zombie69.

Play Time: Hungry Mouse.
Links of the Day: Biojewelry.co.uk. Thanks Yashimi.
Lots of Robots. Thanks David.
The Museum of Food Anomalies.
Stories of the Day: Judge orders drug addict to stop having children.
Soldier Begging For Dog Food For Deployed Dogs.
Toilet Brush Warning Wins Consumer Award.
Headline of the Day: Nine-Year-Old Boy Fascinated by Toilets. Thanks Maimas.
Science!: A Chance to Peek Over the Quarterback's Shoulder (registration required).
With Cameras on the Corner, Your Ticket Is in the Mail (registration required).
Ready, Aim, ID Check In Wrong Hands, Gun Won't Fire (registration required). Next, Judge Dredd security (zap!).
Media of the Day: Eye of the Tiger. Tears in your eyes funny.
Sadistic Alarm Clock. Thanks Maimas.
Auctions of the Day: SURVEILLANCE SUPER SPY VAN X GOVERNMENT OWNED. Thanks Devicer.
KILLER Future Shop GIft Cards!!! OMG 170$$$ gogogogogo.
Thieves Find Exactly What They're Looking for on EBay.
Follow-ups: Inflatable Pub. From the innovators (inflators?) who brought you the inflatable church. Thanks Yashimi.
Potter Potter.
Space Robot Maker MDA Nets Hubble Repair Deal.
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
View : : :
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

No subject
Jan 7, 2005, 15:33
No subject Jan 7, 2005, 15:33
Jan 7, 2005, 15:33

Check out BUGMENOT.com if you don't like to register to read news.

Re: why so quiet around here?>
Jan 7, 2005, 10:48
Re: why so quiet around here?> Jan 7, 2005, 10:48
Jan 7, 2005, 10:48

How do I know that? I have a domain I registered just for stuff like this and every site gets its own email address, so when I get anything back on that address I know where it came from. If it turns into a problem I simply filter that address directly to the deleted items folder. Over the years I think I've only had four sites sell the address to spammers.

It actually gets down to laziness! You got me. I just don't like typing in usernames and pw to read articles.

xXBatmanXx - fka BatmanX &Batman
(Someone started using my handle in DoD, screwing up my stats. Bastards.)

Re: I may have to eat crow ...
Jan 7, 2005, 09:52
Re: I may have to eat crow ... Jan 7, 2005, 09:52
Jan 7, 2005, 09:52

GTA:SA is a great game. Alexander (the Oli Stone one) is too long. That is all.

Oh, and Im sure I have way too much goop on my CPU.

Jan 7, 2005, 02:19
Re: I may have to eat crow ... Jan 7, 2005, 02:19
Jan 7, 2005, 02:19

I don't know if I can deal with this. I've been a goop spreader my whole life.....

Here's some food for thought: would you rather have 100% of the heatsink's contact area pulling heat from the processor, or 75% of the area? If you spread the goop over the whole surface of the heat spreader, filling in those "microscopic pits and valleys" (according to Arctic Silver's website), it will help transfer more heat to the HSF. After all, the purpose of the heat spreader is to spread the heat!

But don't take it from me - here's some advice from some other folks...

Heat sinks operate by conducting heat from the processor to the heat sink and then radiating it to the air. The better the transfer of heat between the two surfaces (the CPU and the heat sink metal) the better the cooling.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/cpu/char/coolCompound-c.html

You should apply a very thin (paper thin) layer on the heatsink with your finger before installing it. Don't use too much - the thinner the layer, the better. But make sure that the entire contact area between CPU and heatsink is covered; otherwise hot-spots can form.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/compound.htm

And besides, what would it really hurt to spread it?

Don't listen to that other guy. We may never know how many processors he has burned up due to his inferior methods!

My name is Camaro76, and I approve this message.

---------------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]
WWFS - What Would Freud Say?
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

Re: HL2 settings.
Jan 7, 2005, 01:08
Re: HL2 settings. Jan 7, 2005, 01:08
Jan 7, 2005, 01:08

Reply to WarPig SST:

I want to be studly enough to not block anything and see if I can handle the onslaught. If only I had mad skillz ....

------------------------------------------------
To spread your goop or not to spread; that is the question ...
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Jan 7, 2005, 01:06
Re: I may have to eat crow ... Jan 7, 2005, 01:06
Jan 7, 2005, 01:06

Screw that, let's talk about what kind of video card you'll be getting!

I already picked up a BFG 6800GT (OC!!) last fall. Right now, HL2 runs pretty smooth with that and an AthlonXP 2700+. I can't wait to see how great it runs with the Athlon64!

Re: Video Capture?
Jan 7, 2005, 00:36
Re: Video Capture? Jan 7, 2005, 00:36
Jan 7, 2005, 00:36

I have a homebrew PVR box running a Hauppauge PVR250 card, and Snapstream's Beyond TV software. It rules so much I can't even put it into words. BIG improvement in picture quality going with a hardware encoder--the picture is often better than my regular old analog cable tv feed.
---
Chris.

Jan 6, 2005, 20:42
WarPig

Re: HL2 settings. Jan 6, 2005, 20:42
Jan 6, 2005, 20:42
 WarPig

HL2 SST stuff:

Before I jumped down to the lower level, I used the grav gun to put every desk, chair, barrel and crate I could find down there first. If you consider the end where the health/suit charge is "north", then I completely blocked the Southwest entrance and Southeast hall. That way all I had to deal with was Combine personnel coming in from two North entrances, and it was easy to pick off the few that made it even close to the turrets. With the south end effectively blocked, I didn't have to watch my back at all.

That's almost exactly what I did except I was able to block all four doors with office crap. It turns out the soldiers can't push through anything but a box or a barrel.

-------------------------------------------------------
Emergency Blue's News message board ~ http://boards.chatbear.com/bluefix

Jan 6, 2005, 20:33
nin
Re: I may have to eat crow ... Jan 6, 2005, 20:33
nin

I don't know if I can deal with this. I've been a goop spreader my whole life.....

Screw that, let's talk about what kind of video card you'll be getting!

Is there a 6800GT in your future? They're the shizit, I promise!

http://tds.nin.com/

Re: why so quiet around here?>
WarPig

Re: why so quiet around here?> Jan 6, 2005, 20:33
 WarPig

I don't think I should have to register for your site just so you can spam me.

There's always the "hudsondog", "hudsondog", user ID and password that was set up by someone here. Anyway I really wouldn't worry about that with the NY Times links, I've been registered with them for a few years and have never received one piece of email from them.

How do I know that? I have a domain I registered just for stuff like this and every site gets its own email address, so when I get anything back on that address I know where it came from. If it turns into a problem I simply filter that address directly to the deleted items folder. Over the years I think I've only had four sites sell the address to spammers.

-------------------------------------------------------
Emergency Blue's News message board ~ http://boards.chatbear.com/bluefix

Jan 6, 2005, 20:22
Enahs

Re: I may have to eat crow ... Jan 6, 2005, 20:22
Jan 6, 2005, 20:22
 Enahs

So I go to Arctic Silver's website, and since this processor has the relatively large metal contact, the instructions say to not spread the goop.

I don't know if I can deal with this. I've been a goop spreader my whole life....

Yea, I know. When we had the whole discussion, that was my some of my "proof" for my reasoning. People chose to ignore it, and me. But, as I said before...nah nah I told you so!

heh

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

I may have to eat crow ...
Jan 6, 2005, 20:11
I may have to eat crow ... Jan 6, 2005, 20:11
Jan 6, 2005, 20:11

I am in the process of doing my biennial computer upgrade, and I have a brand-spankin' new Athlon64 3500+ processor. So I go to Arctic Silver's website, and since this processor has the relatively large metal contact, the instructions say to not spread the goop.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 11:55.

Jan 6, 2005, 18:50
Enahs

Re: HL2 settings. Jan 6, 2005, 18:50
Jan 6, 2005, 18:50
 Enahs

So back to my original question. Has anyone played all the way through without cheats on a harder level/setting.

Uhh yeah, of course. The first time I played the game I had it on the hardest settings. When I did play back through it a second time, I did cheat to get the Super-GravGun, and that was it!...SO fun throwing cars around.

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.
- W. C. Fields

Jan 6, 2005, 18:24
Re: HL2 settings. Jan 6, 2005, 18:24
Jan 6, 2005, 18:24

heheh the Quad X thing is gonna catch on again! I am tellin ya. Bringing back from the old school. (most of the youngsters probably don't know what the hell i am talking about)

Anyway, SST in response to xXWarhawkXx:
It is the jail area, where you get 2 turrets and you start in that small area. You acn run out of there, but then yuo have dudes shooting from above and there are also dudes that come from the blocked off area they run through to you. I set 2 turrest up pointing across the room on each side (small room) in the corners, so they can't get knocked over, and they cover eachother. I then set one outside in the corner pointing at the room and down the hall. I can then protect the other side. They all cover eachother and myself. Maybe I will draw it up in a word doc and post it somewhere.

So back to my original question. Has anyone played all the way through without cheats on a harder level/setting.

Re: Video Capture?
Jan 6, 2005, 18:21
Enahs

Re: Video Capture? Jan 6, 2005, 18:21
Jan 6, 2005, 18:21
 Enahs

If you have satellite or cable service, see if you can get a box from them with firewire out. It sends the pure “digital” signal across the firewire cable. My “analog” cable channels look as good as any capture card I have ever seen, and the digital channels are perfect. Plus, if you have a hi-def “box”, it can put hi-def out too, looks damn nice.

Though, some box’s/companies will not output movie channels over the firewire (mine would not, but I figured a way around it!).

Here is a good starting point for more info
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=403695
Besides watching tv, you can easily setup a program to just record at any time.

All you really need is a firewire port and box that has firewire out (and a cable of course). That site has a few different boxes listed, but if you look around you can find drivers for all sorts of boxes.

On a side note, pretty much every new digital box and hi-def box has firewire out. And, IF the company would make proper drivers, you could control your box from computer (to change channel, ect) and playback recorded video off you hard drive to TV. Unfortunately, with all the big organizations paranoid about people illegally coping shit, no box really has proper drivers

_____
Enahs
- W. C. Fields

Jan 6, 2005, 17:57
Re: HL2 settings. Jan 6, 2005, 17:57
Jan 6, 2005, 17:57

xXxXxXBatmanXxXxXx (hey, that's kinda fun!) (SST):

Which area are you guys talking about with the turrets - if I remember correctly, there were 3 locations to defend - the jail cell, the room with 2 stairways leading up to it, and the transportation chamber.

For the first 2, the easiest way is to just turn the turrets around in the boxes and hide out of the way (in one of the boxes or next to one). They really won't get knocked over in them very often. Only in the room with the transportation chamber do you really need to "set them up" and actively monitor them.

xXWarhawkXx - just wanted to try it once....

* Warhawk *

Hey Griswold. Where do you think you're gonna put a tree that big?
Bend over and I'll show you.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Jan 6, 2005, 17:46
Re: HL2 settings. Jan 6, 2005, 17:46
Jan 6, 2005, 17:46

banddirector: in response to your SST:

There were many discussions about it earlier, and that is my favorite part of the game. I had helped a lot of people through that portion by telling them to go back and carry another turret with them through to that part. I figured it would be more fun to crank up the difficulty now since i haven't played since it first came out - and play that level over. It was the most intense part of the game for me. I like stuff like that. I had the turrets in crossfire pattern protecting eachother. I think I only had to set t hem up 1x each and kill 2 people.

Jan 6, 2005, 17:29
Re: HL2 settings. Jan 6, 2005, 17:29
Jan 6, 2005, 17:29

Hey xXBatmanXx, I easily solved the turret level by doing this: (SST:)

Before I jumped down to the lower level, I used the grav gun to put every desk, chair, barrel and crate I could find down there first. If you consider the end where the health/suit charge is "north", then I completely blocked the Southwest entrance and Southeast hall. That way all I had to deal with was Combine personnel coming in from two North entrances, and it was easy to pick off the few that made it even close to the turrets. With the south end effectively blocked, I didn't have to watch my back at all.

Be sure to spread your goop

Jan 6, 2005, 16:53
Re: HL2 settings. Jan 6, 2005, 16:53
Jan 6, 2005, 16:53

You can just replay the level and change the difficulty in the options menu.... personally I disliked the defend missions but wotever...

That ready, aim, ID thing I remember from Judge Dredd's Lawgiver from about 25 years ago.

-------------------
If you're a European sign the anti-software-patents petition at:
http://petition.eurolinux.org/

HL2 settings.
Jan 6, 2005, 16:49
HL2 settings. Jan 6, 2005, 16:49
Jan 6, 2005, 16:49

Has anyone beat HL2 (without cheats) on the harder levels? I was thinking about starting the game up again.

I actually just want to crank it up for the prison area turret fight dealie, where they keep spawning and use your turrets in specific places to protect your little room.

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older