WoW Patched

The World of Warcraft Community Site (thanks Ant) has details on the new update to Blizzard's MMORPG, including Maraudon, a new dungeon. Additionally: "The holidays are here and the citizens of Azeroth are celebrating the occasion with festive decorations and winter time activities. Keep an eye out for some fun and exciting surprises throughout the world!"
View : : :
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: WoW - slow download speeds
Dec 22, 2004, 21:06
Re: WoW - slow download speeds Dec 22, 2004, 21:06
Dec 22, 2004, 21:06

I had to open certain ports on my router to get the download to work. It's all on the WoW Tech Support website.

I've followed the instructions to the letter since closed beta. The program just crawls. If I use an 'alternative' client that connects to the same tracker it SMOKES!

Night and day, black and white, cats living with dogs, it's just plain obvious that their BT client is a stinker.

If you get ok to good performance out of the Blizzard BT client imagine what you could get from a real client.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com
teh m4y0r ownz a GabeN b4ckp4k
http://www.azurebrigade.com
- WoW Guild / Board
-TPFKAS2S

Dec 22, 2004, 15:50
Re: WoW - slow download speeds Dec 22, 2004, 15:50
Dec 22, 2004, 15:50

I had to open certain ports on my router to get the download to work. It's all on the WoW Tech Support website.

Dec 22, 2004, 15:26
Re: WoW - slow download speeds Dec 22, 2004, 15:26
Dec 22, 2004, 15:26

Until someone comes along with much lower upload bandwidth than download...

________
I'm not... gonna... cry... you... dumb... doo-doo brain!
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Dec 22, 2004, 13:04
Re: WoW - slow download speeds Dec 22, 2004, 13:04
Dec 22, 2004, 13:04

Hey DukeP,

using customers to pay for bandwidth of each patch

yah the theory is kinda lame for the greedy algorithm in a theory way, but you can shut off the p2p stuff if you like.

BitTorrent and other such p2p sharing systems really do work, and work well. They change the dynamics of a patch download. The best time to get the patch is when everyone else is getting it... that way the most number of players are playing sooner rather than all the people waiting in line.

BTW: don't disable your firewall, don't disable NAT, just route ports XXX to your IP. Setup your router to route these ports to your hosts while you download. Then shut off those ports.

This changed the performance of the download from around 2k/sec for me to around 144k/sec. My download only took around 15 minutes and in the process i had uploaded almost twice what I had downloaded. This is great! I took one copy and provided two, meaning the WoW users as a whole benefitted from my download.

sorry you had a bad time, but it's not a bad system they have setup...

Re: WoW
Dec 22, 2004, 11:45
Re: WoW Dec 22, 2004, 11:45
Dec 22, 2004, 11:45

it has a nearby instance, and, stupidly, is the location of the alliance auction house. Being the auction house alone makes IF lag like no other area.

Speaking of auction houses, what a poorly implemented system Blizzard has. Heaven forbid the main race cities all have one, there be a way of linking them to the dead and pointless nuetral auction house in Gadgetzan, that any attempt be made to have an automatic, ranged acution total, that time was properly added to bids placed in the last few minutes of auction, etc.

When I first joined the CB the auction house was in SW and IF was a ghost town. SW lagged like crazy.

I read somewhere that they plan to place auction houses in each major city and to link them along with linking them to the AH that is accessible to both factions.

I see many people that are in the mid 40s to 60 saying the same thing as you. I guess a lot of that has to do with blowing through the game content so quickly. I'm just now beginning to enjoy the game in retail. I picked a different class to play from beta, I figured this would be a good way to spice up the quests I've already done before. I can safely say that playing a priest has changed my perspective of the game from what I thought/felt when playing a non-nerfed warrior.

As to your comments regarding grouping issues. I know that the instance runs that I have done with guild members have been a ton of fun. The two I did with pick up groups were painful to say the least.

It ended up taking me roughly fourteen hours to download a 39MB patch. Even on dial-up, that is ridiculous. If you can sit there and putz around enough to get a good seed, you can do ok. Otherwise, it is a painfually slow process. For costing $15 a month, Blizzard being unwilling to pay for patch bandwidth is completely ridiculous. Even looking at bug patching, I can think of a good fifteen or so items that I reported, were confirmed to me as being known and on the bug list, and which made no appearance in this patch.

The powers that be just can't seem to get their heads around this one. I'm really curious to see how the servers handle this weekend with the flood of new people coming on board.

-TPFKAS2S
- WoW Guild / Board
-TPFKAS2S

Re: Problems Downloading
Dec 22, 2004, 11:28
Re: Problems Downloading Dec 22, 2004, 11:28
Dec 22, 2004, 11:28

From the response i've seen, i would be suprised to see the next patch come out with the same blizzard downloader.

Consider yourself surprised in advance then. They've had this problem with the BT downloader they use for at least 6 months now. They didn't change back then. They didn't change when they required CB testers to download the new 2.0+ gig client via that method. They may improve it but it will be the same method.

-TPFKAS2S
- WoW Guild / Board
-TPFKAS2S

Dec 22, 2004, 11:21
Re: WoW Dec 22, 2004, 11:21
Dec 22, 2004, 11:21

Yes, I am playing on dial-up, but that has nothing to do with the actual limited gameplay of WoW.

Basically, it is all combat at this point. For being pure combat, my warrior sure sucks at being, well, a warrior. At this point in the game, 95% of my quests are "Elite" which mandates having a group. Of course, finding any group can be difficult, much less one consisting of enjoyable players. I particularly enjoy the "It's too hard to do now, so wait......but now that you have waited and can do it, it is a waste of time given the little (or no) experience and outdated drops you will receive" aspect. I won't even start on the inequality of freqeuncy of drops, the few drops of actual use for a higher level warrior, or the joys of ninja looters. What that leaves me doing is either constantly hunting around for a random group or, having no "normal" missions to solo, mindlessly attacking mobs for meager amounts of XP. The experience system is a bit whacked out, too; once a player gets more than two or three levels away from another player, there is significantly less reason to group.

I am level forty-six and maxed out my two skills some time back; I have nothing else to "do." Even if I was a crafter, the skills are so limited and generic that everybody is doing the same thing. Heaven forbid there be many more unique skills, a limited point system to encourage specific diversity, the ability to control the quality or range of items, etc.

Since there is no player development, there is nothing else for you to work on. Given how the lands and game are currently designed, there does not seem to be any areas to really expand the game. Perhaps the eventual expansion packs and "discovery" of new lands could open the game, but Blizzard has to wait at least six months from release before charging its customers even more. As I have indicated earlier, Blizzard is being a real jerk about cost and accomodating its users so I am even less thrilled about the prospect of handing out even more money to such a greedy company. All this combined, again, just pushes you back to the combat aspect of the game.

I fully expect to hit level sixty and immediately, drastically pull back my playing. Barring drastically new gameplay content, of which Blizzard just seems to be focusing on even more combat, I would expect to cancel my account within two months of level sixty.

In all honesty, this is Diablo 3D. It is fun to play at first, but any actual story or gameplay quickly dies off and you fairly quickly get down to grinding for XP or drops. Now, many, many people do enjoy such simple gameplay for extended periods of time, but it is beginning to bore me. At least level forty had a mount and level sixty can be viewed as an additional "goal," being the cap and second mount, but there is no end game in WoW and I am only grinding away to hit that level sixty "goal."

As for the previous post, IF is a total joke. I am playing on a Pacific-labeled server (Kilrogg) and Blizzard's poor planning is making IF a drag, especially at any type of peak period. It has a wide range of vendors, it is a hub to a number of areas, it is the only real bridge between the Menethil port area (FFS, why did they cut off Theramore so much in retail versus Stress Test One???) and Stormwind area, it has a nearby instance, and, stupidly, is the location of the alliance auction house. Being the auction house alone makes IF lag like no other area.

Speaking of auction houses, what a poorly implemented system Blizzard has. Heaven forbid the main race cities all have one, there be a way of linking them to the dead and pointless nuetral auction house in Gadgetzan, that any attempt be made to have an automatic, ranged acution total, that time was properly added to bids placed in the last few minutes of auction, etc.

It ended up taking me roughly fourteen hours to download a 39MB patch. Even on dial-up, that is ridiculous. If you can sit there and putz around enough to get a good seed, you can do ok. Otherwise, it is a painfually slow process. For costing $15 a month, Blizzard being unwilling to pay for patch bandwidth is completely ridiculous. Even looking at bug patching, I can think of a good fifteen or so items that I reported, were confirmed to me as being known and on the bug list, and which made no appearance in this patch.

/Yay
Humans should be slaves and gnomes are just dwarves that shave.
Just irritated with the downloader and sticking with the Diablo 3D comparison,
Ray

-----
Half-Life 2: All that and a bag of chips!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Dec 22, 2004, 11:02
Re: WoW Dec 22, 2004, 11:02

Garr ... sorry for the triple post!?!

Bottom line is blizzard is charging top MMO rate for a 3D Diablo 2 in the WC universe.

Seems diconcerning, since we all know if they ever make a Diablo 3 they will charge for that as well.

Bottom line is blizzard is charging top MMO rate for a 3D Diablo 2 in the WC universe.

Seems diconcerning, since we all know if they ever make a Diablo 3 they will charge for that as well.

Bottem line is blizzard is charging top MMO rate for a 3D Diablo 2 in the WC universe.

Dec 22, 2004, 10:51
Re: WoW Dec 22, 2004, 10:51
Dec 22, 2004, 10:51

It has a very rich enviroment and story which will be continued with chapters.

It's certainly more deep than WoW that doesn't have any story at all.

Dec 22, 2004, 10:35
Re: WoW Dec 22, 2004, 10:35
Dec 22, 2004, 10:35

"Getting bored with the WoW grind"

Ray, are you playing WoW on a dial-up connection? If so I can see why you are frustrated and bored. I would rather give up the internet and on-line gaming entirely then to go back to a dial-up and try to play on-lines.

Hope the local providers get you a broadband connection soon....

Myself, I had about a 15 minute wait to download and yes the upload does bog down the PC but for 15 minutes I can deal with it. I would love to see my normal >300 downloads speed but 50-85 wasn't bad. So far I am loving the game... have a level 28 Orc Warrior and level 18 Tauren Hunter. I haven't even finished HL2 yet because I am hooked on WoW. So I would agree... besides DAoC this game has keep my attention better then all the others I have tried. I may check out EQ2 in a few months...

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 10:36.

Dec 22, 2004, 09:11
Re: WoW Dec 22, 2004, 09:11
Dec 22, 2004, 09:11

Im just SOL because of Blizzards pisspoor system.

I agree entirely. I understand why Blizzard tried to use BitTorrent to distribute patches and it was a good idea initially. But its time to ditch the idea and go back to the normal method. Too many people are having problems (this client uses many non-standard BitTorrent ports so you have to configure your router differently which many don't know how to do in the first place) and having to place the burden on FileFront and other sites is ridiculous. If other, much less popular games can afford the bandwidth to distribute patches directly, Blizzard certainly can.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
StateOfGaming.org Coming Soon
Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Twitch

Ray...
Dec 22, 2004, 09:09
Ray... Dec 22, 2004, 09:09
Dec 22, 2004, 09:09

Might I suggest the reason for so much lag in IF was due to all the influx of players who wanted to see the patch contents and especially in IF due to the Santa Dwarf?

OGR wasn't bad at all for my server, even with all the visiting trolls/orcs/cows visiting Santa Orc, everyone baking cookies and throwing snowballs at each other.

Almost spent a gold just on snowballs and in OGR it's alot of fun due to the crater type setting of the city. Plus you seem to be a target if you have horns as well. Also could have been due to all the models of snowmen being loaded etc.

Also are you on a server for your timezone?

Dec 22, 2004, 09:00
Re: WoW Dec 22, 2004, 09:00
Dec 22, 2004, 09:00

Getting bored with the WoW grind,
Ray

HAH KNEW IT WOULD HAPPEN!!

Magnanimous in victory,
sponge

Dec 22, 2004, 08:36
Re: WoW Dec 22, 2004, 08:36
Dec 22, 2004, 08:36

Guildwars is fun for a romp but about as deep as a puddle of rainwater.

Dec 22, 2004, 07:42
Re: WoW Dec 22, 2004, 07:42
Dec 22, 2004, 07:42

Or better yet; come to Guild Wars where the streaming tech takes care of the new material, features, patches and fixes on-the-fly.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 07:42.

Dec 22, 2004, 03:38
Re: WoW Dec 22, 2004, 03:38
Dec 22, 2004, 03:38

heh

come to EQ2, patches are fast and efficient (Apart from the last one).

Its good over here....

------
$1 tax for the national debt?
This comment was edited on Dec 22, 03:39.
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

Dec 22, 2004, 03:28
Re: WoW Dec 22, 2004, 03:28
Dec 22, 2004, 03:28

Blizzard are using their customers to pay for the bandwith of each and every patch.

Its an incredbily poor system.

Its taken me more than 8 hours to patch - and Im still at 80 %. To clarify, Im using a 4mbit adsl connection.

Alas, I cant use their fix: Disabling my firewall will get my machine infected in less than a heartbeat. Disabling NAT and setting up fixed open ports would amount to the same.

Im just SOL because of Blizzards pisspoor system.

~~DukeP~~

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older