EA Stuffed by NBA

IGN has a report up stating that the NBA has rejected an offer from Electronic Arts to form an exclusive video game relationship with the pro basketball league in the nature of EA's recent deal with the NFL (story). The economics are cited as the obvious reason here: "One of the reasons is that the NBA Live series simply doesn't have a stranglehold on the market the way Madden has for years, so by signing an exclusive deal with EA, the NBA would actually be losing money." The story also lays to rest fears that an exclusive baseball deal is on deck:
Sources aren't quite as clear in terms of potential dealings with Major League Baseball as a few publishers were worried a deal was already in place for EA to step in and take over like they did with the NFL. But after the EA/NFL deal went down, at least one publisher was able to re-up their MLB contract for three more games, so it looks like a false alarm as the only exclusive EA was able to lockup for the time being was the NFL.
View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: What's really kinda sad....
Dec 22, 2004, 19:44
Re: What's really kinda sad.... Dec 22, 2004, 19:44
Dec 22, 2004, 19:44

We're coming down on EA because we love to play games. EA makes shitty games, and they are in a position now where they simply take any game or developer that shows some potential and turn them into more shit, leaving us little choice in games. Well, that's the worst case scenario.

That's why we hate EA.

Re: What's really kinda sad....
Dec 22, 2004, 12:35
Dre
Re: What's really kinda sad.... Dec 22, 2004, 12:35
Dec 22, 2004, 12:35
Dre

EA employees don't get paid overtime... why is this a big deal?

Hundreds of thousands of people don't get paid OT in this country. It's called being an Exempt Employee. Just because you don't get paid OT doesn't mean you don't see a benefit on the other end, like flexible schedules or comp time.

I think those who are shocked about unpaid OT are people who haven't been in the work force... unpaid OT is the way of the work world. U.S. government, which has billions at its disposal, does the same thing with sub-contractors.

It's not a big deal.

Re: Thank the gods
Dec 22, 2004, 08:04
Re: Thank the gods Dec 22, 2004, 08:04
Dec 22, 2004, 08:04

Madden SUCKS.
Some folks don't like it for consoles, but it's all the PC players have had for years, and the franchise/owner mode is very strong. PS - are you EVER going to fix your .sig codes? Update your CATs? repair that stupid 'compare' URL?

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

What's really kinda sad....
Dec 21, 2004, 23:29
What's really kinda sad.... Dec 21, 2004, 23:29
Dec 21, 2004, 23:29

Is they are spending hundreds of millions of dollars for NFL Rights, ownership of Dice, etc, and yet they don't pay their employee's overtime.

What's kinda funny is that this will hurt EA in court more then it helps there product catalog.

Here's hoping/praying that EA developers get some quality time off for the holidays.

Re: Good lord...
Dec 21, 2004, 20:33
Re: Good lord... Dec 21, 2004, 20:33
Dec 21, 2004, 20:33

I'm afraid that's not always the case. Ask the folks that used to work at Looking Glass...

ARGH. Trumped twice in one night, and on one post! You're quite right.

Okay, well, then change what I said to "in a perfect world where Justice means something, talented developers will always find funding."

Of course, Eidos sucks muleass too.

Dec 21, 2004, 18:04
nin
Re: Good lord... Dec 21, 2004, 18:04
Dec 21, 2004, 18:04
nin

Talented developers will always find funding.

I'm afraid that's not always the case. Ask the folks that used to work at Looking Glass...

http://tds.nin.com/

Dec 21, 2004, 17:55
Re: Good lord... Dec 21, 2004, 17:55
Dec 21, 2004, 17:55

Seriously EA games aren't worth the bandwidth you would waste warezing them. They are just that bad.

I must admit, that's a good point. The last time I was "into" EA games in any number greater than one(1) was when Ultima was still alive. And even that was only by necessary evil association. (E.lizabeth and A.braham, anyone?)

Since then, the only EA game I've bought was NFS: Porsche Unleashed (found it for $15 and couldn't pass it by), and for whatever reason, I don't play it. :-\

So I guess it should be:

"If you really want an EA game for some reason, then warez it! It's your civic duty! Otherwise, find something worth playing."

Only if it's a game MADE by EA, not just published (like Battlefield).

Talented developers will always find funding. They don't need EA.

Yeah, right...
Dec 21, 2004, 15:37
Dre
Yeah, right... Dec 21, 2004, 15:37
Dec 21, 2004, 15:37
Dre

You guys are coming down on professional sports and EA for doing the same thing you would do if the positions were switched. We live in a capitalistic society where the bottom line is the bottom line... both of these groups need to make money. They found a way to increase their profit, it's legal, they do it.

Hate the game, not the player is absolutely apropos.

If you don't like these kinds of business practices, start lobbying for legislation to curtail it. Vote for a president that makes this kind of synergy/take overs/buy outs harder. Otherwise, stop yapping about it.

I'm not a big fan of single companies owning everything, but I never made the mistake of buying a game without reading some reviews or trying it out first. If EA wants to make crap (I don't believe everything they've touched is as such), it will catch up to them. But if you buy a game that is poor quality, that's on you. Not on the developer or the distributor. Do your homework.

I've read countless posts about how EA puts out nothing but crap... BF42, BF:V, Battle for Middle Earth, Medal of Honor, The Sims and The Sims 2, Burnout 3, Madden, NBA Live, FIFA, Freedom Fighters, SimCity 4, Lord of the Rings hack and slash games, James Bond: Everything or Noting...

Not exactly accurate.

I don't see the logic in being critical of a company only doing what a company is supposed to do... make money.

Dec 21, 2004, 15:12
Re: Good lord... Dec 21, 2004, 15:12
Dec 21, 2004, 15:12

Warez an EA game EVERYDAY. It's your civic duty.

...or just don't buy EA games ever again and if your friends ask you about an EA game recommend they buy something else.

Seriously EA games aren't worth the bandwidth you would waste warezing them. They are just that bad.

Dec 21, 2004, 14:59
Re: Thank the gods Dec 21, 2004, 14:59
Dec 21, 2004, 14:59

Don't blame the players, blame the game.

Dec 21, 2004, 13:29
Re: Thank the gods Dec 21, 2004, 13:29
Dec 21, 2004, 13:29

Well it looks like it's time to get into college football because thats the next logical step for Visual Concepts to go to keep making killer football games until the 5 year deal is up.

I tried Madden a few weeks ago after playing NFL2k5 and it's just slow and unresponsive and I lost the ability to break tackles entirely.

No subject
Dec 21, 2004, 12:59
No subject Dec 21, 2004, 12:59
Dec 21, 2004, 12:59

Revolution!!!!

Warez EA!!!

Dan it we will bring them down!!!

(hehe listening to Korn and playing to much HL2 had me all emotional!! Revolution!)

Re: No subject
Dec 21, 2004, 12:25
Re: No subject Dec 21, 2004, 12:25
Dec 21, 2004, 12:25

Why move the movies to a different folder? Delete the fuckers. I do that in nearly every game, especially EA games. Look into the movie folders and delete the movies before I run it. It's one thing to have skippable movies, its another to force me to watch them.

Re: No subject
Dec 21, 2004, 12:19
Re: No subject Dec 21, 2004, 12:19
Dec 21, 2004, 12:19

What I hate about EA is that they do so many deals you have to sit through about 40 seconds of 'commercials' before you can start LotR: Battle for Middle Earth. They seem to be unskippable...

edit: YAY, just found this:
esc is disabled on the first couple of movies, here is an easy and affective way to make the game start up directly at the menu screen and bypass all those annoying ads.

go to the program folder and then into your
\data\movies
folder

Create a new folder in there and name it whatever you want.
Now move the following movie files into the new folder
EALogo.vp6 , Intel.vp6 , NewLineLogo.vp6 , THX.vp6 and 242.vp6

Fillem,
Would you know how to put a custom screen resolution into LOTR:BFME? Something like 1280x1024.

Dec 21, 2004, 12:18
Re: Thank the gods Dec 21, 2004, 12:18
Dec 21, 2004, 12:18

They are just going to lose more money in the long run. [...] So much for competition and creative competition.

No. Actually, EA and the NFL are going to make a lot of money off of this deal, in both the short term and over the long haul. The concept of capitalism is based on the procurement of as much of the economy's available wealth as possible for your own benefit alone, not the benefit of the society which generates that wealth (that's us). This is exactly what EA and the NFL/PLAYERS INC. have done.

Creative competition actually stands in the way of that goal and so it is in their interests to cripple it, which they have also achieved. Diversity in the market may be good for the consumer, but not for those at the top of the corporate hierarchy.

Bottom line, your notion that the NFL actually stands to suffer financially is absurd.

Re: Pro leagues are the real problem here
Dec 21, 2004, 12:15
Re: Pro leagues are the real problem here Dec 21, 2004, 12:15
Dec 21, 2004, 12:15

The whore that is professional sports is lying with its legs spread for any and all takers, as long as the price is right. It should have been obvious to anyone who's bought a ticket to a game at the American Airlines Center or Lincoln Financial Field that this was inevitable and imminent. EA just happened to be the first to seize on the opportunity.

And as an old whore, we must try to dose her with mercury-pills and clean her out from top to bottom! She has become so ultra-fucked by filthy pricks.

-----
"I want my lamp back. I'm gonna need it to get out of this slimy mudhole."
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

EA Games
Dec 21, 2004, 12:10
EA Games Dec 21, 2004, 12:10
Dec 21, 2004, 12:10

I just wish EA would pump out another Feiry Tale Adventure.

Dec 21, 2004, 11:36
Re: Good lord... Dec 21, 2004, 11:36
Dec 21, 2004, 11:36

Warez an EA game EVERYDAY. It's your civic duty.

Only if it's a game MADE by EA, not just published (like Battlefield). I've always been strictly against all warez, but the way EA has been trying to monopolize the video game industry lately, I wouldn't feel bad about stealing their games. The video game industry has always seemed to be different from the rest of scummy corporate America, until EA came along. Crushing the competition, monopolizing the industry, treating their own workers like shit, mass-producing clone after clone after clone of the same crap over and over, and (soon) outsourcing their jobs to Asia, India, etc...EA is everything that's wrong with the video game industry.

Good thing all sports games suck. (Except Base Wars for the NES, where futuristic robot players "tag out" by fighting to the death with blasters and lightsabers).

Re: EA has been busy
Dec 21, 2004, 11:16
PHJF

Re: EA has been busy Dec 21, 2004, 11:16
Dec 21, 2004, 11:16
 PHJF

ALL SPORTS GAMES SUCK EXCEPT TECMO BOWL AND RBI BASEBALL.

There. I said it.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

EA has been busy
Dec 21, 2004, 11:14
EA has been busy Dec 21, 2004, 11:14
Dec 21, 2004, 11:14

EA has been one of the most active game publishers I can ever remember. Up until a couple months ago I had no idea what EA was up to but all of a sudden there the most actively-moving name in gaming.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older