DOOM 3 Add-on Details

PlanetDOOM (thanks Charles) has some info on the upcoming Resurrection of Evil add-on for DOOM 3 gleaned from an article in the new print edition of Game Informer magazine. They set the action three years after the conclusion of DOOM 3, describe a bit of the new artifact in the expansion, and show optimism over the prospect that the add-on will support cooperative multiplayer play.
View : : :
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Just fuck off, idiots
Dec 22, 2004, 16:35
Re: Just fuck off, idiots Dec 22, 2004, 16:35
Dec 22, 2004, 16:35

Here's another one:
You have some of the best artists in the world. You have some deranged people working for you that can come up with amazingly wierd and wonderful monsters, animate them wonderfully and use Carmack's magic to make them drool and do wierd and wonderful things. Yet throughout the game 80% of the monsters are Imps.

Consider HL2. You have Combine, then Zombies, then Antlions, then more Combine, then elite Combine, then Gunships. You fight different things - helicopters, rollermines, etc.

FFS, Daikatana has more monster variety.

Dec 20, 2004, 11:27
Re: Just fuck off, idiots Dec 20, 2004, 11:27
Dec 20, 2004, 11:27

The fact of the matter is that Doom3 was too dark, did use triggered monster traps too much, and was not scary (unless you're just easily frightened).

Hell was stupid, but it was better than the hallway romps.

I think I saw a couple dismembered torsos twitching, but that was it. In Doom2, there are bodies & body parts impaled all over the place.

The netcode for Doom3 is pathetic; but Quake4, which is based on Doom3 engine, will allow a normal amount of players on a server. Why not for DOom3? (I know why.)

Here is what happened. ID got way too far into the development of the game and could not turn around out of it. No one had the balls to stand up & say, um, this is stupid guys, let's not do this. Instead, they just pushed forward with a series of bad ideas. Bad idea #1: Reducing the monster count. I guess I wouldn't care if it took a lot more to kill the creatures. But it doesn't. THey should all be like hellknights & pinkys, especially the zombies which ended up being target practice. But it would have been scary if you shot them in the head & their body still came for you, so you blew off their arms & they still walk at you, so you blow off the legs & the torso twitches toward you. Just make it scary, like it is hard to get away. Otherwise, this is just Doom without as many creatures.

Bad idea #2: WHoever came up with the dark corridor thing should be fired immediately. It was stupid. It wasn't scary. It was cheap & stupid.

Bad idea #3: If you are going to do dark, don't cripple the player with that bullshit about being unable to use a flashlight & another gun. That's a load of crap.

Bad idea #4: Monster Triggers. This is okay. I did NOT have a problem with monster triggers. I had a problem with how they worked. I played through the game a few times & I found a place where I knew for certain an Imp would be. But it wasn't. Then I crossed an invisible line and suddenly an Imp appeared out of thin air & lept at me for a can't miss attack. Another time, I saw an Imp, but it wasn't activated yet, so when I threw the soulcube at it, nothing happened (except I wasted a chance to heal up on a gimmick monster-trigger). But if they teleport in, then that's fine. I don't really care about that.

Bad idea #5: Stupid monsters. Did you see the lab? The imps had brains the size of a human beings. Of course, you wouldn't know that by playing the game, because they are butt stupid idiots. Only the military zombies have any AI at all. The rest of the creatures are retarded.

I just wish they made the creatures really smart. I mean, even a deranged psychotic demon will flee if it gets too damaged. It could find an archvile & get healed up. That would be the smart thing to do. Live to fight another day.

Bad idea #6: That disappearing trick the monsters do when you kill them is pretty cool looking. I thought that what was happening was that I was merely banishing them back to hell & that when I finally got to hell I would have to fight them all over again, but if I killed them in their own realm then they would really die. But no, they just did the red spot-remover thing there too.

I could go on & on probably upto 20. But that's enough for now.

Dec 20, 2004, 02:10
Re: Just fuck off, idiots Dec 20, 2004, 02:10
Dec 20, 2004, 02:10

But it seems like all these people would have just went around raving about HL2 even if all it had was one room full of headcrabs and a gravity gun, and that was it.

Well how exactly do you expect to be taken seriously with comments like those?

Doom 3 to me while impressive from a technical standpoint was disappointing in terms of gameplay.

I still respect Id especially for their past work with doom and quake but I think Valve nailed down the first person shooter experience with HL2.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 02:19.

Just fuck off, idiots
Dec 20, 2004, 01:15
Just fuck off, idiots Dec 20, 2004, 01:15
Dec 20, 2004, 01:15

"Your points have already been responded to but they are so ludicrous even coming from a fanboi such as yourself that I don't know why anyone even bothered."

Brilliant, you've convinced me!

Just fuck off, idiots
Dec 20, 2004, 01:13
Just fuck off, idiots Dec 20, 2004, 01:13
Dec 20, 2004, 01:13

My opinions never tried to be facts, I never said that so and so agrees with me that Doom 3 was a good game so it must be true, and I never said that anyone was flat-out wrong. My point was that people have double standards for these types of things, and most of the D3 bashing is just mindless and misguided. That's my opinion, and my argument.

I'm not trying to convert people, I was giving out examples (linearity, incoherence, no storytelling, little relation to HL1, etc.) of HL2 to counter the D3 bashing because I know most of these people are HL2 fans, and thus are very, very biased. Am I biased against HL? Maybe, but I did say that the first one was a great game, if a bit overrated. But it seems like all these people would have just went around raving about HL2 even if all it had was one room full of headcrabs and a gravity gun, and that was it.

Dec 20, 2004, 00:36
Enahs

Re: Just fuck off, idiots Dec 20, 2004, 00:36
Dec 20, 2004, 00:36
 Enahs

I agree with you fully, but your first post did say something to the effect of there were more people disappointed with D3 than HL2 as a fact. (at least I think so, can't be arsed to wade through this thread again)

I did say something along those lines, but it was reference to what other people said/did not say/implied. I could have made it clearer, but I was more concerned with proper execution of my chance to use the word “jackhole” many times over!

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Dec 20, 2004, 00:19
Re: Just fuck off, idiots Dec 20, 2004, 00:19
Dec 20, 2004, 00:19

Enahs: I agree with you fully, but your first post did say something to the effect of there were more people disappointed with D3 than HL2 as a fact. (at least I think so, can't be arsed to wade through this thread again)

That's something very subjective, along with the people pulling up GameRankings and saying that x game is better than Doom3 because it's 1-5% higher. Isn't it people here that are always yelling SCREW DA REVIEW SITES! too?

Last time I checked 88% or whatever the hell D3 got is very good to me, along with 95% of HL2, but to say that it is better or worse due to a completly random assortment of reviews, I don't understand how anyone with half a brain could conclude that.

Dec 19, 2004, 23:35
Re: Just fuck off, idiots Dec 19, 2004, 23:35
Dec 19, 2004, 23:35

Your points have already been responded to but they are so ludicrous even coming from a fanboi such as yourself that I don't know why anyone even bothered.

Dec 19, 2004, 22:16
Enahs

Re: Just fuck off, idiots Dec 19, 2004, 22:16
Dec 19, 2004, 22:16
 Enahs

I'm sure you're very comfortable just agreeing with the majority, aren't you?

*cough* learn to read *cough*
In regards to this conversation I said nothing about me liking or disliking HL2 more than Doom 3 or other way around. All I did was point out how you and others like you are arguing about the two with your opinions as fact. Again, like I said in a previous post. As soon as you see someone disagreeing with you, stop immediately trying to come up with a response and actually read the freakin’ post.

Maybe someone should try responding to the points I made instead of whining about the method in which I posted that original message. I sincerely doubt that'll happen though.
Your points are your opinions trying to be fact. My favorite color just so happens to be Blue. I am going to be like you, if nobody else’s favorite color is not Blue you are all fanboys going along with the masses refusing to see the superiority of the color Blue.

So stating an opinion is akin to starting shit?

Whaa whaa whaa. Again, it is getting annoying to say this, but please, maybe this time you will get it.
As soon as you see someone disagreeing with you, FINISH READING and thinking about it before you start trying to come up with the response. I never said one thing about anyone’s actual opinion. All I pointed out was how some of you are trying to use your opinions as facts to “prove” someone else’s opinion wrong. I was not saying anything about it either, until people’s intelligent level dropped from 16 to 12, and started “attacking” the only freakin’ person that was not stating their opinions as empirical fact.

My impression a few post back with peoples favorite color still stands, and it is exactly what you are still trying to do. You are still trying to save face and somehow be right, your opinion is your opinion, stop trying to make it everyone else’s.

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.
- W. C. Fields

Just fuck off, idiots
Dec 19, 2004, 19:06
Just fuck off, idiots Dec 19, 2004, 19:06
Dec 19, 2004, 19:06

"No, the majority of posters post like adults. If you look at the post history of people that just bash/insult product a…ohh wait, you can not because they do not have a post history. They simply like to start shit. Us adults can ignore them or respond in an adult like manner if we chose. I was defending nin more than anything else, because we was not stating his opinion as fact like everyone else."

So stating an opinion is akin to starting shit?
The article posted here was about the expansion pack, and the 30+ comments were nothing but bashing. So who's really starting shit?
Oh but of course you're the "adult," and everyone is going to back you up here, and I'm the bad guy, the spammer who's upsetting everyone. I'm sure you're very comfortable just agreeing with the majority, aren't you?
Maybe someone should try responding to the points I made instead of whining about the method in which I posted that original message. I sincerely doubt that'll happen though.

Dec 19, 2004, 18:39
Re: Just fuck off, idiots Dec 19, 2004, 18:39
Dec 19, 2004, 18:39

Any post that starts off 'just fuck off idiots' is beneath response. If you wrestle with a pig, after a while you get so dirty as he is folks can't tell the difference between the two of you, and the hog loves it more.

Dec 19, 2004, 18:31
Re: Just fuck off, idiots Dec 19, 2004, 18:31
Dec 19, 2004, 18:31

I love it when people cite the excuse that Doom 3 was a remake of the original, and to have expected anything more of the gameplay was wrong. Why did no one tell me we should expect less however? I could gladly hop into Doom right now and blast away through the first chapter... ask me to do that for Doom 3 and you'd get a strangled scream of dispair. Sure it's remade the originals gameplay as some insist they set out to do... just minus the waves of monsters, minus the ability to see a damn thing, and minus a combat effectiveness castrated by having to lose the gun for a flashlight lol! My greatest fear in game was to wake up with keyboard face having dozed off in Alpha labs.

Re: No subject
Dec 19, 2004, 16:48
Re: No subject Dec 19, 2004, 16:48
Dec 19, 2004, 16:48

M.U.L.E. is OMG SO MUCH BETTER than HL2, it's ridiculous. People need to STOP talking about D3, and talk about a game that's actually WORTH PLAYING! Like Pac-Man! Do you have any idea how many hours THAT game - the best evar! - was played in teh 80's?!?!?!11

*Tip - They're completely different games, with completely different design goals and methods and so comparison is rather idiotic. At no point do the games even resemble each other, at all. And they're both quite good.

Dec 19, 2004, 15:57
Enahs

Re: Just fuck off, idiots Dec 19, 2004, 15:57
Dec 19, 2004, 15:57
 Enahs

Ah okay, and I was replying to a whole forum of jackholes who make it a habit to bash D3 every time there's a headline related to the game, only because it's hip to bash certain games. I believe in free speech as much as the next guy, but BluesNews posters only seem to come here to promote "the uber coolness" that is Half Life 2 and bash everything else.

No, the majority of posters post like adults. If you look at the post history of people that just bash/insult product a…ohh wait, you can not because they do not have a post history. They simply like to start shit. Us adults can ignore them or respond in an adult like manner if we chose. I was defending nin more than anything else, because we was not stating his opinion as fact like everyone else.

Plus, I like to use the world jackhole, and I got to use it a lot!

_____
Enahs
- W. C. Fields

Just fuck off, idiots
Dec 19, 2004, 15:44
Just fuck off, idiots Dec 19, 2004, 15:44
Dec 19, 2004, 15:44

"some jackhole who was overly aggressive and insulting to HL2, not because Doom 3 is better then HL2, but because HE likes it more"

Ah okay, and I was replying to a whole forum of jackholes who make it a habit to bash D3 every time there's a headline related to the game, only because it's hip to bash certain games. I believe in free speech as much as the next guy, but BluesNews posters only seem to come here to promote "the uber coolness" that is Half Life 2 and bash everything else.

Fuck, I'm not saying Doom 3 deserves game of year or anything, but you might show some respect for the series of games that established first person shooters and stop saying shit like "the franchise sucks, Id sucks, doom is so gay, etc." Unfortunately, for a lot of people, computer gaming only began with Half Life in 1998, and there aren't many people left who enjoy games like Doom 3, Painkiller, and Serious Sam.

Dec 19, 2004, 15:30
Enahs

Re: Just fuck off, idiots Dec 19, 2004, 15:30
Dec 19, 2004, 15:30
 Enahs

So obviously what nin is saying is, if you liked DOOM 3, you are just a fan boy and there is absolutely no other reason why you should think D3 was as good or better then HL2.

No, you are all a bunch of emotional tools that can not read what someone says. You immediately see him taking the opposite side of an argument and instead if actually reading and thinking about what he was saying and the point he was making, you immediately start your little whee brains working on a response.

He responded so some jackhole who was overly aggressive and insulting to HL2, not because Doom 3 is better then HL2, but because HE likes it more. All he was doing was taking the opposite position to point out your stupidity, which was easy.

They are freakin’ games and opinions about games. Get over it. More people like HL2 than Doom 3, more people where let down by Doom 3 than by HL2. Get over it. I am sorry that is not how you feel, but acting like a 12 year old spouting profanities and whining about it is not going to change anything.

My impression of this form:
Jackhole number 1: Red is the best color in the world
Jackhole number 2: No you fucking fuckity gay fucker that is gay gay gay fucker shitty fucker, yellow is better than red.
Jackhole number 1: Fuck shit fuck shit piss cunt ass fuck gay gay gay no, let me list 50 reasons why I THINK red is better than yellow.
Jackhole number 2: Shit shit fuck shit ass shit dick gay gay your so shit gay, you are just an idiot that can not admit the truth gay.
Some guy just trying to voice his opinion, but knows it is his OPINION: Hey, you just said a bunch of stuff that I can say about Yellow that I can say about Red, I and most people prefer red over yellow.
Jackhole number 1: Fuck you shit fuck shit yellow is better than red
Jackhole number 2: So “someguy” just because you say someone is a color-fanny-boy makes your opinion right and them wrong, even though you where clearly stating your point as an opinion as an argument against us other jackholes stating our opinions as fact because everyone else is stupid fuck shit gay fuck gay shit shit, we must show them how shit fuck shit gay gay gay stupid they are.

The end.

_____
Enahs
- W. C. Fields

Dec 19, 2004, 15:19
Re: Just fuck off, idiots Dec 19, 2004, 15:19
Dec 19, 2004, 15:19

Game developers (at least those who make FPSs) really haven't moved from the kill-everything-that-moves style of gameplay. Max Payne 2, Far Cry, etc. had their own little advancements, but overall it was still the same "you vs. the world" scenario. But "it's a sequel to Doom" is not an excuse, it's a fact. It's not GTA 5 or Civilization 4, it's about fighting Hellspawn. Of course, Id could have added bullet time, vehicles, and other features, but again, it was all about fast-paced combat.

But your using it as an excuse for crappy gameplay mechanisms.. and THAT is a fact. The game can still be a FPS without resort to bad gameplay that stopped being acceptable after Clintons first term. And fast paced combat? What game are you talking to about there?

Again, it's basically style over substance. Doom 3 has the best zombies I've seen in a game, as well as a variety of both new and classic enemies. The lighting and shadow effects worked well, and the inability to weild a flashlight and weapon was part of the tactics.

Style over substance? So your basically admitting that the gameplay itself was lacking?

Half Life 1 was a great game, but I felt it was overrated, even back then, though I do admit I was into the Rainbow 6 series at the moment. But let's be honest here, Half Life's strength was in its mod community, not in its gameplay. If it weren't for Counterstrike and other mods, the game would have disappeared from hard drives after a few months or so.

Well, barring the FIFTY game of the year awards it got (Which it got before even Team Fortress Classic came out), I'm not sure what your getting at with your "dissapeared from people's hard drives after a few months or so.." And Doom 3 is going to be any different? Or even Quake 2, if you want to go back that far?

But Half Life 2 is just a series of generic FPS cliches from start to finish with no style of its own. That's my main complaint. And yet there are people out there who are raving about it being the best game ever, and how revolutionary it is. People complain about Doom 3 being too old-fashioned yet they have no problem HL2's standard storyline and gameplay. The game gives you wide open spaces and various vehicles, but are you allowed to explore? No, just stay on the path to trigger the expected combine attacks.

I didn't mention Half-Life 2 once; aside from pointing out how your were apparently selectivly picking and choosing what reviews your listening to. Like I said before; Either reviews are accurate and both the Half-Life series and Doom 3 or good games; or the reviews are inaccurate in which case they don't provide any supporting evidence for your argument.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

Dec 19, 2004, 15:17
Re: Just fuck off, idiots Dec 19, 2004, 15:17
Dec 19, 2004, 15:17

So obviously what nin is saying is, if you liked DOOM 3, you are just a fan boy and there is absolutely no other reason why you should think D3 was as good or better then HL2. Also it seems that just calling you a fanboy nullifies any positive comment you can make about doom 3.

Just fuck off, idiots
Dec 19, 2004, 15:16
Just fuck off, idiots Dec 19, 2004, 15:16
Dec 19, 2004, 15:16

"You mean, besides Doom 3 doing the same thing? "

Exactly my point...so why do you bash D3 for it but not HL2?

"You mean like in HL2, where you get the dunebuggy and the airboat? Yeah, I'd like that. "

Those levels were the worst in the game, and much longer than they needed to be. What's the use of vechiles if you can't use them to explore and veer off the course? Valve forces you stay on one linear path.

"You mean like in Doom3, where I pick up ammo and 2 Imps come popping out? That sounds pretty scripted to me. "

You're only helping me prove my point that HL2 fans are quick to bash Doom 3 yet defend HL2.

"To quote the HL2 camp "The bar has been raised"."

No, it hasn't. Except in facial expressions.

Just fuck off, idiots
Dec 19, 2004, 15:08
Just fuck off, idiots Dec 19, 2004, 15:08
Dec 19, 2004, 15:08

Game developers (at least those who make FPSs) really haven't moved from the kill-everything-that-moves style of gameplay. Max Payne 2, Far Cry, etc. had their own little advancements, but overall it was still the same "you vs. the world" scenario. But "it's a sequel to Doom" is not an excuse, it's a fact. It's not GTA 5 or Civilization 4, it's about fighting Hellspawn. Of course, Id could have added bullet time, vehicles, and other features, but again, it was all about fast-paced combat.

Again, it's basically style over substance. Doom 3 has the best zombies I've seen in a game, as well as a variety of both new and classic enemies. The lighting and shadow effects worked well, and the inability to weild a flashlight and weapon was part of the tactics.

Half Life 1 was a great game, but I felt it was overrated, even back then, though I do admit I was into the Rainbow 6 series at the moment. But let's be honest here, Half Life's strength was in its mod community, not in its gameplay. If it weren't for Counterstrike and other mods, the game would have disappeared from hard drives after a few months or so.

But Half Life 2 is just a series of generic FPS cliches from start to finish with no style of its own. That's my main complaint. And yet there are people out there who are raving about it being the best game ever, and how revolutionary it is. People complain about Doom 3 being too old-fashioned yet they have no problem HL2's standard storyline and gameplay. The game gives you wide open spaces and various vehicles, but are you allowed to explore? No, just stay on the path to trigger the expected combine attacks.

72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older