Out of the Blue

Hmmm... looks like the NFL game price war didn't last very long. :(

Links of the Day: Blue Q Chastity Underwear. Thanks Okratas.
The World, Dubai [Island-Islands]. Thanks Spawnflagger.
Stories of the Day: Study: Christmas deadliest day for Americans. 'tis the season.
Regis to host 'New Year's Rockin' Eve'.
Blockbuster dropping late fees as of Jan. 1.
Science!: Gates' foundation to fund synthetic biology.
Vaccinating Mice Could Reduce Lyme Disease.
In Autism, New Goal Is Finding It Soon Enough to Fight It (registration required).
Image of the Day: Lap Pillow.
Auction of the Day: 1984 NISSAN 720 KING CAB UTE. Thanks dakslf.
Follow-ups: Mars rover finds 'water signature'.
Construction of world's tallest tower to begin. Thanks NEUTONBEAM.
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
View : : :
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: EA and NFL
Dec 15, 2004, 18:43
Jim
Re: EA and NFL Dec 15, 2004, 18:43
Dec 15, 2004, 18:43
Jim

EA gave us a big fat pile of fucking cash

Nah. I'm guessing it was paperwork filed by their accountants.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 18:44.
Jim

Re: nin's zeppelin
Dec 15, 2004, 02:54
Re: nin's zeppelin Dec 15, 2004, 02:54
Dec 15, 2004, 02:54

I picked up Collateral today (didn't catch it at the theatre)

You're in for a treat then. By far the best movie I saw last summer and now one of my favorite action movies.

wasn't there supposed to be a SE of Heat also?

I had heard rumors to that effect but never saw anything official. The current DVD version of Heat is pretty crappy, all that can be said for it is that the chapter breaks are ever two or three minutes as opposed to every ten to twelve minutes like you see on many low effort DVD releases.

EA and NFL
Dec 15, 2004, 00:51
EA and NFL Dec 15, 2004, 00:51
Dec 15, 2004, 00:51

I love the NFL's spin on this "We looked at a lot of factors, quality of games, ability to market, market share yadda yadda yadda", when everyone knows it should read "EA gave us a big fat pile of fucking cash, just like Gatorade, Pepsi and Visa just did, and we're absolutely for sale. We're kinda like whores, we're just expensive whores."

While I will admit that Madden was the best football game out there, what effort do you think EA, the fucking WORST publisher of all, is going to put into the next five Maddens without any competition? I think the answer is "very close to zero", since they know that every football junkie will want a football game with the NFL rosters in it, and so they will buy Madden.

Great way to fuck your own product in the ass, NFL. I hope the money is worth it.

Creston

Edit : Oops, this is in the wrong place. Sorry about that. Anyways, I see a lot of people saying that Sega should just release a football game and allow editing of all the names etc.

There's a few problems with this :

1) Editing ALL the rosters for ALL 32 NFL teams on a console? :O
2) Sega wouldn't be able to host the file, because the NFL would sue them. Most leagues allow Joe Homeuser to get away with something like this since it's not worth the effort to go after them (plus it's VERY bad publicity), but if a game company were to try this, they'd get sued very hard.

If EA buys the MLB too I'm going to go fucking apeshit.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 01:29.

Dec 15, 2004, 00:21
Re: nin's zeppelin Dec 15, 2004, 00:21
Dec 15, 2004, 00:21

I kinda wanted my own island...I guess I could share.

Well, you could still keep it private, just let in a few people per day to cover the cost of a security guard to keep everyone else out...
---
Chris.

Re: Netflix is teh su><or
Dec 14, 2004, 23:46
Re: Netflix is teh su><or Dec 14, 2004, 23:46
Dec 14, 2004, 23:46

It was a few years ago. Since then, if I want a new release, I either Tivo it from DirecTV, rent it from Hollywood, or if I *really* want it, buy it at Costco.

edit: grammar r us
------------------------------------------------
Be sure to spread your goop
This comment was edited on Dec 14, 23:48.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Re: Netflix is teh su><or
Dec 14, 2004, 22:22
WarPig

Re: Netflix is teh su><or Dec 14, 2004, 22:22
Dec 14, 2004, 22:22
 WarPig

and that's when their selection went in the toilet.

How long ago was that? I cancelled my account a couple months ago because I didn't feel I was using it enough and I knew that football season would take up a lot of my TV time. Other than that I know for a fact that I've never been in a video store that had 1/100 of the overall selection that Netflix did. Sure, if you wanted a new release it might take awhile (sometimes), but since I had over 100 DVD's on my list there was always something coming that I wanted anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------
"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there is nothing I cannot do." ~ Lord Salisbury

Netflix is teh su><or
Dec 14, 2004, 20:26
Netflix is teh su><or Dec 14, 2004, 20:26
Dec 14, 2004, 20:26

I used to get DVDs from Netflix, way back when you didn't have to buy a monthly subscription - - you could rent them one at a time. And then they switched to the monthly rental scheme, and that's when their selection went in the toilet. Not only were they perpetually "out" of all recent releases, but it took at least 3 days to get anything you ordered. Thankfully, a Hollywood Video store opened nearby, and I wasn't at Netflix's mercy anymore. I can't tell you the delight I took in canceling my account ...

------------------------------------------------
Be sure to spread your goop
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Dec 14, 2004, 19:58
nin
Re: nin's zeppelin Dec 14, 2004, 19:58
Dec 14, 2004, 19:58
nin

Hey, I gotta be able to afford the exotic beauties to keep y'all happy when you visit (not like that you perv, well, then again, maybe like that

Warhawk

Friend
Fellow Poster
Pimp

Vote W is '05!

http://tds.nin.com/

Dec 14, 2004, 19:35
Re: nin's zeppelin Dec 14, 2004, 19:35
Dec 14, 2004, 19:35

LOL! Unexpected economic sobriety coming from the soon-to-be ruler of his own island-paradise!!

Let me guess -- there are elections coming up over there in Warhawkistan?

Hey, I gotta be able to afford the exotic beauties to keep y'all happy when you visit (not like that you perv, well, then again, maybe like that ). Drinks are not on the house, though, I know y'all would bankrupt me. Halsey would never leave the bar, just find a convenient power outlet and play WOW on his wireless laptop connection. A few of you would probably join him.

If you want to scribble your personal choices on scraps of paper, it's cool. Won't change anything, though.

* Warhawk *

People with guns get to do whatever they want. Married people without guns - for instance - you - DO NOT get to yell. Why? NO GUNS! No guns, no yelling. See? Simple little equation.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Dec 14, 2004, 19:20
nin
Re: nin's zeppelin Dec 14, 2004, 19:20
Dec 14, 2004, 19:20
nin

I kinda wanted my own island...I guess I could share.

Hey SMA, I picked up Collateral today (didn't catch it at the theatre)...wasn't there supposed to be a SE of Heat also?

Ack! dvdempire.com says 2/22/05!?!?

Dec 14, 2004, 19:05
Re: nin's zeppelin Dec 14, 2004, 19:05
Dec 14, 2004, 19:05

For anyone that missed Collateral in theatres you should definitely see it now. I picked up the DVD earlier today and the Club Fever scene is just as incredible as was on the big screen. Best action sequence in a while!

Re: Zeppelin
Dec 14, 2004, 19:02
Jim
Re: Zeppelin Dec 14, 2004, 19:02
Dec 14, 2004, 19:02
Jim

I would love to see a Hindenburg replica built (with helium as originally planned, not hydrogen of course!)

I wouldn't care if it was hydrogen vs helium. Just don't use the same freaking outer coating on the rigid structure.

The hydrogen was not the cause of the accident, nor did it contribute significantly to the loss of life.

Putting what is essentially rocket fuel on the outside of the zeppelin, on the other hand...

Very true. Latest theories also mention the possible torqueing of the ship on a previous flight, damaging the structure and possibly rupturing a fuel line.

Today's lighter and stronger composite structures would more than make up for the discrepency in weight (lifting ability) between hydrogen and helium.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 19:05.
Jim

Dec 14, 2004, 18:59
Re: nin's zeppelin Dec 14, 2004, 18:59
Dec 14, 2004, 18:59

we need to be somewhat fiscally conservative

LOL! Unexpected economic sobriety coming from the soon-to-be ruler of his own island-paradise!!

Let me guess -- there are elections coming up over there in Warhawkistan?

-----
"I want my lamp back. I'm gonna need it to get out of this slimy mudhole."
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Dec 14, 2004, 18:39
Re: nin's zeppelin Dec 14, 2004, 18:39
Dec 14, 2004, 18:39

.. So if we're buying eachother islands now.. do we need to buy a separate one for nin, or do we just install a surveillance tower overlooking the Blue Lagoon?

Nah, he'll just strap the lookout van under his zeppelin and use a good pair of binoculars - we need to be somewhat fiscally conservative or else pretty soon everyone will want one.

* Warhawk *

People with guns get to do whatever they want. Married people without guns - for instance - you - DO NOT get to yell. Why? NO GUNS! No guns, no yelling. See? Simple little equation.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

nin's zeppelin
Dec 14, 2004, 18:27
nin's zeppelin Dec 14, 2004, 18:27
Dec 14, 2004, 18:27

John Travolta bought one of those blimps from Neiman Marcus -- they're all tainted and oogie now.

.. So if we're buying eachother islands now.. do we need to buy a separate one for nin, or do we just install a surveillance tower overlooking the Blue Lagoon?

-----
"I want my lamp back. I'm gonna need it to get out of this slimy mudhole."
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Re: RE: Islands in the Sea
Dec 14, 2004, 18:14
Re: RE: Islands in the Sea Dec 14, 2004, 18:14
Dec 14, 2004, 18:14

In light of pretty much uncontradicted evidence that sea levels are rising and are expected to continue to rise, I don't understand teh thinking behind developing real estate in shallow seas in teh mediteranean, south pacific, or anywhere else.

Don't worry - its like the folks who live in obvious hurricane/floodplain/fire hazard/beach erosion/landslide areas - they will have insurance and when the expected disaster hits, we'll all be on the hook with higher prices for insurance to pay their claims off.

If it was up to me, but it isn't, these folks would have to:
a) sign a waver saying any reasonably-anticipated natural disaster would not be covered, or
b) have entirely self-covering insurance where the rest of us won't pay higher rates when they need the payouts

Like motorcycle riders that don't wear helmets - if it was up to me: feel free not to wear them but if you get a head injury because you didn't, don't expect insurance to pay for it - you're on your own. But I know it would never work.

* Warhawk *

RE: Islands in the Sea
Dec 14, 2004, 17:59
RE: Islands in the Sea Dec 14, 2004, 17:59
Dec 14, 2004, 17:59

In light of pretty much uncontradicted evidence that sea levels are rising and are expected to continue to rise, I don't understand teh thinking behind developing real estate in shallow seas in teh mediteranean, south pacific, or anywhere else.

----
What Will Save Us
The restoration to the cow Of her dignity.
The restoration to the pig Of his intelligence.
The restoration to the child Of her sacredness.
The restoration to the woman Of her will.
The restoration to the man Of his tenderness.

Re: Islands off Dubai
Dec 14, 2004, 17:30
nin
Re: Islands off Dubai Dec 14, 2004, 17:30
Dec 14, 2004, 17:30
nin

How does a company in the United Arab Emirates, (where the hell did they come from?), have enough money to start a project like that?

3 letters:

O
I
L

Islands off Dubai
Dec 14, 2004, 17:28
Islands off Dubai Dec 14, 2004, 17:28
Dec 14, 2004, 17:28

Yo. I think the islands they're making could be the coolest thing I've ever seen. How does a company in the United Arab Emirates, (where the hell did they come from?), have enough money to start a project like that? Maybe a possible solution to overpopulation. I like these guys, sign me up. I've got 7 million around here somewhere.

Underwear
Dec 14, 2004, 17:10
Underwear Dec 14, 2004, 17:10
Dec 14, 2004, 17:10

It's nice to see that that they still carry real products at Target

http://citizenb.com/ - Shameless website plug.
Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona.
This comment was edited on Dec 14, 17:29.
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older