Half-Life 2 Updates

Steam News (thanks Frans) has word of new updates to Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2 deathmatch, and the Source dedicated server that will be applied automatically when the Steam service is restarted. The update includes a Securom fix: "Solved disc in drive incompatibility error by removing Securom disc check routine."
View : : :
63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Hummm
Dec 11, 2004, 00:48
Re: Hummm Dec 11, 2004, 00:48
Dec 11, 2004, 00:48

i just dont think that even Valve can top HL2.

Yeah -- I was checking out Raising The Bar this evening, and that thought kept coming back to me; how in the name of hell are they going to beat that game?

Gotta love 'em for trying though..

-----
"I want my lamp back. I'm gonna need it to get out of this slimy mudhole."
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Hummm
Dec 11, 2004, 00:44
Hummm Dec 11, 2004, 00:44
Dec 11, 2004, 00:44

After reading meats mini review i just might have to pick up Riddick, and its true im a sucker for these types of games but i just dont think that even Valve can top HL2.

Oh and thanks P> I accept your nomination, now everyone to the showers. is my first executive order.

Update: sheesh going to gamespot makes ya wanna upchuck. Pirates got a 9+? the old pirates for the Amiga was way better than the new one and they even had the nerve to take out tobacco and give us canned fights on the bridge and wonky sissy dancing. and it gets a whopping 9 from gamespot lol. SeaDogs 2 blows this outta the water.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 00:52.

Re: Insults
Dec 11, 2004, 00:43
Re: Insults Dec 11, 2004, 00:43
Dec 11, 2004, 00:43

hates quasi-illiteracy even more..

Actually, it's willful ignorance. I'm pretty sure that's worse.

-----
This comment was edited on Dec 11, 00:44.
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Re: Gamespot
Dec 11, 2004, 00:34
Re: Gamespot Dec 11, 2004, 00:34
Dec 11, 2004, 00:34

I picked up Riddick for the PC yesterday after much anticipation.. I'm not too far into it yet, but feel I can safely say that it was worth the wait. Very cool game so far:

The first couple of.. levels(?) are really quite brilliant from a design POV, and it has some nice subtle touches that truly set it apart from the crowd (such as the fact that if you turn your head 90 degrees left or right and continue looking in that direction, your character will eventually shuffle his hips and feet to match. This is a small thing, but it really makes you feel like you're inhabiting a 'body' rather than a just 'camera'. I want all my games to take this approach. It always works when they do, and yet it's so rare.. bah!). I've been wondering where hand-to-hand combat has been all these years as well!

The graphics are very nice, although in a not-terribly-realistic and overly contrasy/hyper-shiny Doom III sense.. still pretty damn cool to look at though.

The script and characters (at least so far) are completely derivative however, and it definitely lacks the depth of polish and layers of believability that the world and characters in HL2 exhibit. Everything is just to plastic and contrived (again - think D3).. I'm into it, mind, but mostly because I want to see what all the fuss was about.

WELL worth the gamble though at only $39.95CDN, and I can't wait to see what these guys do next..

-----
-----

Re: Insults
Dec 11, 2004, 00:32
Re: Insults Dec 11, 2004, 00:32
Dec 11, 2004, 00:32

I think Cheese is the smartest person of all time. I think we should vote him king.

/Hates Gamespot, hates quasi-illiteracy even more..
I eat pasta!

Insults
Dec 11, 2004, 00:20
Insults Dec 11, 2004, 00:20
Dec 11, 2004, 00:20

Like im not suppose to insult you comming here all waxed up and spouting off about a <credible > game review site, like gamespot? LOL omg you dont get it do you? dont get all heated up over this cause if you do youll confirm my suspicions about you being a stockholder or even worse, in bed with Mrs Gamespot herself omg your a freak.

Im gonna have to pull out my can of Oust on you.

Re: To the monkey in the corner
Dec 11, 2004, 00:18
PHJF

Re: To the monkey in the corner Dec 11, 2004, 00:18
Dec 11, 2004, 00:18
 PHJF

Yeah the 357 makes the crossbow useless. It's not like any of the maps are at all big enough to warrant needing a scope in the first place.

Also, not being able to disable the laser on the RPG is lame and doesn't make sense.

Also, when I fire my last RPG I have it doesn't seek. Or didn't. I haven't seen if the new patch fixes this...

Also, and my biggest issue, on custom maps where I Guess custom models would be I instead am treated to a huge red ERROR model. Really annoying...

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Dec 11, 2004, 00:12
Re: To the monkey in the corner Dec 11, 2004, 00:12
Dec 11, 2004, 00:12

back to HL2.. not having to have the CD in the drawer is nice. However the 357 still seems way too powerful. I got smacked down from 100 health 200 shield in two shots.

Dec 11, 2004, 00:11
Re: To the monkey in the corner Dec 11, 2004, 00:11
Dec 11, 2004, 00:11

Yes thats about the responce I was expecting. A differing opinion leads to insults rather than actual debate.

As for the points made by others, Gamespot neither kills my browser (Firefox) nor has more ads than Blue's. The Deus Ex review is a valid point, but that and their review of Halo for the PC (9.something) are the only reviews I have really taken issue with. A better track record, for me, than most sites.

Dec 11, 2004, 00:08
Re: To the monkey in the corner Dec 11, 2004, 00:08
Dec 11, 2004, 00:08

Also, the gamespot fan reviews have Riddick at an 8.9 and HL2 at a 9.4.

I really don't trust any review sites. I avoid Gamespot because their cookie checkpoint is blocked by my host file and I don't care enough to fix it as I can find other ways in if necessary. I never found myself agreeing with them too much.

I read IGN the most, if only because the site is easily the best designed. It allows you to get access to all their new reviews for all systems quickly and easily, though it irks me that the Blockbuster ad always cuts the second paragraph in half (my system only maybe?) I actually agree with them less than most others, but unlike movies I haven't found any review sources for games I genuinely trust. Hell, I was flipping through Xbox magazine and they gave the new Goldeneye an 8.0 and Fight Club a 6.4 and I consider those two of the worst games I've played all year.

I use reviews not for the rating but to see what they like and dislike. If they like things I don't care about I don't bother, and if they dislike things I know would irk me I don't bother.

To the monkey in the corner
Dec 11, 2004, 00:01
To the monkey in the corner Dec 11, 2004, 00:01
Dec 11, 2004, 00:01

That said, I have read a lot of people ragging on Gamespot, it seems, but I could never find someone who would pin down a reason. If someone could clarify, I might have to rethink my trust...

Here have a banana, and some KY jelly. and get your gamespot loving ass outta here with that ole brown nosing crap.

Gamespot=$$$ thats all they care about. oh you must be a stockholder im sorry.

Your logic is truly dizzying esp when it comes to your source of game reviews.

All i stated is Value takes alot more than length in account. So whats your problem? others agree with me on that cause its true. bye and go back to gamespot with there free cotton candy and candy cains and lolli pops.
This comment was edited on Dec 11, 00:13.

Dec 10, 2004, 23:53
Re: Gamespot Dec 10, 2004, 23:53
Dec 10, 2004, 23:53

I'm guessing that is because of the short time to complete, yes? I certainly wouldn't call that the most important thing.

Then your definition from Gamespot:
For the most part, a game's value score is an indicator of the game's longevity. It represents how long you'll be able to both play and enjoy the game, and it also signifies how much replay value you'll get out of it. Breadth of gameplay options and overall volume of content both weigh heavily into this score. The retail price of a game can also figure into the value score, as can the presence or lack of similar, competitive products in the market. Finally, the overall quality of the game has some impact on its value, so, for instance, a bad game that's extremely long is still probably not worth playing.

Clearly they take much, much more into account than length. Something can be completed in 2 hours and still get a 10 from Gamespot in the value department if you keep playing it again.

HL, the original, had value unheard of in the action game genre. I hope HL2 does.

I haven't played Hl2 or Riddick yet. I hear Riddick was absolutely amazing on the Xbox, which shocked me, being a license and all. I'll check it out, but truthfully the subject matter isn't all that interesting so I might not dig it all that much.

HL2 vs Riddick
Dec 10, 2004, 23:45
HL2 vs Riddick Dec 10, 2004, 23:45
Dec 10, 2004, 23:45

Every time I see one of these threads where people start arguing about which game is better (HL2 vs Doom, etc), the following scenario comes to mind:

The arena is a dichotomy of energy - the absence of light and overwhelming presence of sound. Thousands of ravenous fans cheer in the darkness for their game of choice and decry its competitor at the top of their lungs.
A crack of thunder silences the crowd, and fireworks erupt at one end of the stadium. The first game steps into the spotlight. Massive, muscular, lumbering. A veritable hulk. A cacophany of cheers and boos. The theme song plays as the game flexes its muscles. Posing completed, the game walks to the ring.
A gong rings, and the second game emerges from the opposite end of the arena flanked by geysers of flame. Spry and nimble, the game performs elaborate acrobatic maneuvers as its theme song blares over the loudspeakers, and then calmly walks to the ring.
The crowd is feverish, each member chanting the name of the game to which they have pledged their allegiance in response to the chants of the opposition.
The games enter the ring. The crowd increases in volume.
The games size each other up. Seconds pass.
One game extends a hand. The other reciprocates. They shake, then embrace.
I buy...*gasp*...both of them.

Dec 10, 2004, 23:43
cia
Re: Gamespot Dec 10, 2004, 23:43
Dec 10, 2004, 23:43
cia

gamespot is a giant browser killing ad

------------

UPDATE your HOSTS file and get rid of those annoying banners

Dec 10, 2004, 23:26
Re: Gamespot Dec 10, 2004, 23:26
Dec 10, 2004, 23:26

gamespot is a giant browser killing ad

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
The mayor of your hearts <3<3<3<3<3
ExcessDan

Re: Just to help keep this thread off topic.
Dec 10, 2004, 22:59
Re: Just to help keep this thread off topic. Dec 10, 2004, 22:59
Dec 10, 2004, 22:59

That's because Riddick just came out for PC a few days ago. There will be many more positive reviews guaranteed. Just for the record, I don't think Riddick is better than HL2 BUT I do not hesitate to mention them both in the same breath as far as how the games are as a whole. If I were going to review them both I'd end up giving HL2 a 97 (minus 3 points for all the hassle Steam gave me on Release day but however I do think they redeemed themselves)...I'd give Riddick a 95 (minus 5 points for no multi). Nonetheless, for $30 CoR is definately a incredible buy.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

Dec 10, 2004, 22:52
Re: Gamespot Dec 10, 2004, 22:52
Dec 10, 2004, 22:52

"That said, I have read a lot of people ragging on Gamespot, it seems, but I could never find someone who would pin down a reason. If someone could clarify, I might have to rethink my trust..."

Deus Ex - 8.2

Do I really need anymore evidence...I think not.

----------------------
- Erratic

Just to help keep this thread off topic.
Dec 10, 2004, 22:39
Just to help keep this thread off topic. Dec 10, 2004, 22:39
Dec 10, 2004, 22:39

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/914642.asp << HL2.
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/921671.asp << Riddick.

Generally i'll head there first and pick out some reviews to read. Just incase some people cba to click, HL2 average 96%, Riddick 93%, and HL2 has alot more reviews on GR than Riddick.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 22:40.
-------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience..

Re: Err
Dec 10, 2004, 22:18
Re: Err Dec 10, 2004, 22:18
Dec 10, 2004, 22:18

The very idea that they would try to use that word in that context and have it be even slightly meaningful is ridiculous.
Yes. The idea that one good game is "better" than another is ridiculous. Daikatana is obviously shit compared to HL, HL2, FarCry, DIII or Riddick. But to argue among those... well that' just preference. It's what you enjoy.

Horses for courses, as they say.

Dec 10, 2004, 21:59
Re: Gamespot Dec 10, 2004, 21:59
Dec 10, 2004, 21:59

I always hit GameRankings.com and read a few of the lowest reviews and see what I think of their complaints and a few of the average reviews as well.

Gamespot is just one site I always try to hit.

63 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older