The Punisher Demo

A playable demo for The Punisher is now available, offering the chance to sample Volition's game based on the vengeance-motivated comic book character. The 211 MB download is available on 3D Gamers, 4Players.de, ActionTrip, Boomtown (registration required), FileFront, Filerush (torrent), Fragland, Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.
View : : :
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Sucks?
Dec 9, 2004, 13:11
Re: Sucks? Dec 9, 2004, 13:11
Dec 9, 2004, 13:11

Hell, nin, if they can't get the Freespace license anyway and they seem to be doing movie tie-ins, then I humbly suggest snapping up The Last Starfighter universe. If they update the story like Tron 2.0 did (IE using Alex Rogan's little brother as the main character) I think they could have a real winner on their hands.

Boring
Dec 9, 2004, 09:06
Boring Dec 9, 2004, 09:06
Dec 9, 2004, 09:06

Come on guys, this sucks. Give me one reason why I'd go shell out dough for this and not just reinstall Max Payne?
====================
You wouldn't care what people thought of you if you realized how seldom they do

Re: No subject
Dec 9, 2004, 04:57
Re: No subject Dec 9, 2004, 04:57
Dec 9, 2004, 04:57

Most developers seem to be permanently on the verge of closing down. They need publishers to fund their projects so they can keep the doors open until EA buys them and then closes them down properly. If Volition could get the funding for a Freespace style game I assume they'd be making it. As it is they're doing movie licenses and possibly selling blood to keep going.

THQ won't let them, it's that simple (THQ own Volition now).

Dave Baranec commented on the whole license issue during the Derek Smart fiasco (via an email to an admin at HLP); basically Volition would love to make the game, THQ know this and have been told so, but it's all dependent on THQ wanting to shell out and buy the license + fund development.

Re: No subject
Dec 9, 2004, 03:09
Re: No subject Dec 9, 2004, 03:09
Dec 9, 2004, 03:09

Most developers seem to be permanently on the verge of closing down. They need publishers to fund their projects so they can keep the doors open until EA buys them and then closes them down properly. If Volition could get the funding for a Freespace style game I assume they'd be making it. As it is they're doing movie licenses and possibly selling blood to keep going.

Re: how not to make a game
Dec 9, 2004, 01:52
Re: how not to make a game Dec 9, 2004, 01:52
Dec 9, 2004, 01:52

It's too late to halt developement. Is that enough said?

I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't there. Garth Ennis wrote this? I honestly don't believe it. I need a demo to give at least (nowadays) 30 solid minutes of gameplay, and even if you take the time to put every enemy through a quick kill (you'll survive just fine with everyone unloading- and hitting -from ten paces no problem) you're in and out in ten minutes. As far as a demo? It just isn't enough to tell, but you you get the feeling something's very wrong.

Here's a Punisher game- fifteen seconds of game design: Go

Garth Ennis writes, (really this time, I get a feeling it's going downhill here) a solid linear story if necessary.

First person (executions and interrogations- nummy, definitely a MAX Comics interpretation), dark bold glossy colors with high contrast in the lighting, SoF II style gore system with a few years worth of improvement. Inner reflections and monologue during quiet spots, either triggered by idle time or event triggered. Look down, see you, condition of Punisher logo on vest is health, see your own wounds, rest and see yourself stop bleeding and watch the vest in pact with the devil fashion (See Punisher: Born #1-4) subtley regenerate to a point... etc

The Lewis Larosa Clint Eastwood-Castle for any potential cutscenes and out-of-body-shots, though I'm not so sure Thomas Jane would be... appropriate for voice-overs of a realistic 50's-plus Punisher; Really work the normal-mapping to get facial scars and wrinkles just right.

---

I could go on , but you get the idea. This could have been done so much better, the demo doesn't have enough content, Thomas Jane voice-over is good but doesn't fit, sound is weak, Volition has no grasp on the Punisher character as a former Marine or as a man on the bleeding-razor-edge of sanity... people should be pissed, but stupid people will buy, and the game will be a 'success'.

"Yes or Fuck You?"
"Yeah"
"Fuck You"

We march down the hallway of the abandoned green-yellow-brown-peeling-wall crack-head condominium; broken appliances, dirty diapers, a trail of dried blood leads nowhere in particular as We walk down ... down...

We turn to a seemingly random door, no apparent difference from the rest, bring a leg up, coil it back, and thrust, negating dead-bolt and chain latch. The Punisher's hardcore collective audience manifested as one man at Their door.

Cue the smoke filled room with center lighting only. THQ execs, cigarettes in two fingers of the off-hand, right-hand-on-left-elbow, wondering what the problem is, stare in open-mouth shock, unmoving as We produce a Two-Forty-Bravo and all it's little Devil Dogs.

Just have to get with the times really, M-60 isn't the edge of the map. It sounds different when someone else fires it, beautiful even... But We'll hear nothing above the ringing of our own ears and the vibrations through Our bones will only make for an audible *pip*-*pip*-*pip*-*pip*-*pip*.

"I'd hate to be you really; dying like a hostage, no chance of fighting back- almost no one deserves this. But are you really going to beg?" We ask, for this one moment uncaring as to where the unleashed seven-six-two actually stops after completing it's scheduled task.

But there's no one else Here, outside the building or anywhere within- Limbo, Hell, and a lack of common sense is what brought us all here in the first place.

Must rant less, must grow up, must go to college and actually become capable of invoking change... damn

-Z

No subject
Dec 9, 2004, 01:11
No subject Dec 9, 2004, 01:11
Dec 9, 2004, 01:11

It is games like this that make me want to organise a Gamer's Strike.

Dear *insert developer/publisher here*,

We will no longer buy your games, play your games, talk about your games or even acknowledge your existence until you start making games which actually have something new in them while still being fun to play. You used to get it right, when you had only 1mb of RAM to work with, but you have since been spoilt. Stop engaging in digital masturbation, and do something innovative.

If you're looking for ideas, *ask us*. If you're not, then maybe you shouldn't be making games in the first place.

http://www.davidcsimon.com

No subject
Dec 9, 2004, 00:16
No subject Dec 9, 2004, 00:16
Dec 9, 2004, 00:16

Caelistis and nin:

absolutely

how not to make a game
Dec 8, 2004, 23:51
how not to make a game Dec 8, 2004, 23:51
Dec 8, 2004, 23:51

ai was horrid, demo was short, soundfx were probably the worst part. Game actually played badly on my pc at 1024x768 and i normally play hl2 at 1280x1024 on this pc.

i loved the punisher movie and all the comic books. Way to fuck it up guys :-)

Re: WTF?
Dec 8, 2004, 23:30
Tei
Re: WTF? Dec 8, 2004, 23:30
Dec 8, 2004, 23:30
Tei

idiotic AI

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. gotta love AI that does not move at all when you chuck a grenade at them. It wouldn't be so bad if the grenade exploded on contact, but there is a 3 second delay after after it hits the ground where they mindlessly sit where they are. Volition is totally riding the license on this one. The quality of their games is going down with each release, I don't even think I want to see Freespace 3 if it's going to be like this demo

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 23:31.

WTF?
Dec 8, 2004, 23:22
WTF? Dec 8, 2004, 23:22

I can't believe they released this?

Bad controls, idiotic AI.

Come on people, put some effort into game developement.

Re: punch n' shoot 1986
Tei
Re: punch n' shoot 1986 Dec 8, 2004, 23:22
Tei

Most unsatisfying game demo ever.

200% agree. Mini Demo Review:

From the start (This game requires DirectX 8.0! Uh-oh) to finish, which was literally about 4 minutes later. this demo (which seemed more like a beta version) is no fun.

The whole game (especially the dissapointing 'interrogations' feature) screams "We Ported this from Xbox in five minutes!" I learned an important lesson today: the same way an analog stick cannot replace a mouse in console games, a mouse cannot replace analog stick in console games.

Even though the game uses an older gfx engine (does seem to be Red Faction's Geomod modified) it is unbelievably choppy.

Oh well, Capcom's Punisher game for the arcades is still the best game made of the anti-hero, and even that's not saying much.

The letter I faxed to Volition
Dec 8, 2004, 23:21
The letter I faxed to Volition Dec 8, 2004, 23:21
Dec 8, 2004, 23:21

Inspired by nin, I blatantly stole his idea (but gave credit in the fax cover letter) and ran with it. This is what I faxed:

Dear Volition and crew,

Please, for the love of God, bring back the Freespace universe. I know, as all now “old” gamers know, that the black hole once known as Interplay has sucked the Freespace license into a dimension from which there is no recovery. That’s ok. You could call it Grand Space Flight Sim 3, or something equally as stupid, as long as it would be as good as Freespace 1 and 2. The gaming community would know with a nod and a wink what it really was. We don’t care what a game is called so long as it is not only good but fun.

Quite honestly, a large number of us are damn tired of seeing the same old re-hashed FPS, RTS and MMOG concepts over and over again. How many damn times can you shoot some guy in the face before it becomes as stale as ghetto bred, bass blasting Hondas? How many times can you conquer the Land of the Great Evil Elf Lord Clown, Slapass the Droopy?

Freespace wasn’t new, granted, as the genre had been broken open by Elite years ago. What made it so great was the revolutionary approach it took to story telling in a space sim. It wasn’t nearly as static as Wing Commander or as insanely uncontrollable as Mantis. We need that same revolution now and we need it in a genre that you have all proven yourselves in time and time again.

Think back when Volition was started and before the corporate beast swallowed it up and barfed out its soul. I remember reading in Computer Gaming Monthly when I was a freshman in high school about how excited the Freespace team was to create something like Freespace. Recapture that and hear the great cries of the unmassed washes, covered in Dorito crumbs, sporting Coke stains and fingers curled permanently in a controller grip of death.

Humoursly, yet sincerely, yours,
(Insert my name)
(insert my email address)

No subject
Dec 8, 2004, 22:50
No subject Dec 8, 2004, 22:50
Dec 8, 2004, 22:50

I think every FPS fan here has played or already beaten Half Life 2. Don't insult us with this Volition.

Face your Fears, Live your Dreams, No Fear -Manny Pacquiao

Dec 8, 2004, 22:41
Re: punch n' shoot 1986 Dec 8, 2004, 22:41
Dec 8, 2004, 22:41

Wasn't really enough demo to give you anything to be disappointed about. Shortest 211MB I think I've ever played.

Dec 8, 2004, 22:24
Re: punch n' shoot 1986 Dec 8, 2004, 22:24
Dec 8, 2004, 22:24

Most unsatisfying game demo ever. Oh well, I WAS looking forward to this one...

Dec 8, 2004, 22:05
Re: punch n' shoot 1986 Dec 8, 2004, 22:05
Dec 8, 2004, 22:05

Is this the game where you punch and shoot people to get to the next level where you punch and shoot more people to get to the next level where you punch and shoot more people, maybe a dog to get to next level where you punch and shoot even more people and then you get to punch and shoot a boss, then crappy endscreen...
Oh hell, I hope so. I'm getting tired of these FPS games that think they're soap operas. I love adventure games and all, but that's not what I want from a shooter.

Re: Sucks?
Dec 8, 2004, 22:02
Re: Sucks? Dec 8, 2004, 22:02
Dec 8, 2004, 22:02

dl'd it, man it's a short demo, maybe 5 minutes worth if you take your time. i know nothing of shooters so i'm not qualified to judge good/bad - demo has pistol, dual smgs, shotgun, m16, grenades; you run and dive/roll and shoot lots of dumb ai guys; the thugs talk quite a bit saying stock lines and the occasional story clue; you can interrogate one thug by grabbing him then using the mouse to push his head into a pool of piranhas til he talks or dies, another you can interrogate by grabbing then using the mouse to either punch or choke him; you can grab guys and walk around using them as bullet-catcher shields; there's a "Special Kill" glowing spot in the temple where you do a kind of "sacrificial altar" kill.

Dec 8, 2004, 21:28
nin
Re: punch n' shoot 1986 Dec 8, 2004, 21:28
Dec 8, 2004, 21:28
nin

Is this the game where you punch and shoot people to get to the next level where you punch and shoot more people to get to the next level where you punch and shoot more people

No, dude, that's Turbo Turkey Puncher...

http://tds.nin.com/

punch n' shoot 1986
Dec 8, 2004, 20:59
punch n' shoot 1986 Dec 8, 2004, 20:59
Dec 8, 2004, 20:59

Is this the game where you punch and shoot people to get to the next level where you punch and shoot more people to get to the next level where you punch and shoot more people, maybe a dog to get to next level where you punch and shoot even more people and then you get to punch and shoot a boss, then crappy endscreen...

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 21:00.

No subject
Dec 8, 2004, 20:52
No subject Dec 8, 2004, 20:52
Dec 8, 2004, 20:52

This would be the game written by Garth Ennis, folks.
Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older