WoW Hax0r Crackdown

The World of Warcraft Community Site (thanks HomeLAN Fed) announces the banning of several World of Warcraft accounts due to the use of a speed hack cheat. They describe a "zero tolerance policy" in regards to situations like this, and warn that future cheaters will be banned outright in a similar manner.
View : : :
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: w00t
Dec 6, 2004, 06:57
Re: w00t Dec 6, 2004, 06:57
Dec 6, 2004, 06:57

I understand what the idea is, but it is so close to heroic strike that heroic strike wins out (when you factor in time, damage, rage.) If rend did more damage, heroic strike took more rage, times were long/shorter, there may be a vlid stance for the two, but rend is effectively pointless for me. If I want to perform an attack that causes less damage and takes a bit of time to cause damage, I guess I would take rend. Otherwise, I will wait for the two rage points, perform a complete attack now, and do significantly damage.

Ultimately, a lot of the warrior skills are screwey. As already noted, I love that I cannot purchase skills because the require the fury stance, the same one blizzard took out. Meanwhile, some of the defensive moves are moot. I received the smash command a few levels back and it is completely pointless - it takes two or even three attack periods to charge and it causes near-normal damage. Once again, at least with it being available in defense stance, heroic strike is a much smarter use.

That hunter sure kicks some ass...

Until they fix taunt, I am not really sure what the warrior's purpose is in fighting. I will not do any damage until I go 2H (or dual, but that has always worked the least for me,) but then I lose my shield abilities and a good chunk of my armor. Maybe I am just supposed to stand here like a dolt all day long doing nothing. If so, I hardly feel like a "warrior" type and the taunt/intimidation/aggro skills need to be re-worked.

I was never a fan of the three stances, furry really seemed like the ugly duckling, but Blizzard made some really perplexing decisions right before retail. Ultimately, I think this shows in the bizarre mixture known as the warrior skills.

Meanwhile, Blizzard is 0/3 in support:

• The server status forum is DOA.

• There was an issue with a quest not spawning. I spent about one hour trying to get what is normally a three-minute quest. I sent in a ticket about this and got back a really stupid form letter about how I needed to check the map, read the name of the locations I am in, and attack the correct mobs. This was even more asinine given my explanation of what the circumstances were, that I had been through this in stress test one, and that current players had confirmed everything was correct on my end. Sure enough, this issue remained until the server was taken down - again, with no notice - for one hour. I guess if you deny the existence of any problems you do not have to deal with anything...

• I submitted another ticket regarding sunder not accruing the correct damage. This ticket went sitting for two days with no answer when, after one hour of my playing in-game, it was canceled by Blizzard. I was never contacted in-game by anybody, I was on and playing so there was no excuse for Blizzard to skip it, I was never sent any e-mail follow up (in case there is any claim that I was not on,) and the issue still remains. Basically, I submitted a ticket and Blizzard opted to actively ignore it.

More and more concerned with WoW's end game,
Ray

-----
Half-Life 2: All that and a bag of chips!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Dec 5, 2004, 21:30
Re: w00t Dec 5, 2004, 21:30
Dec 5, 2004, 21:30

The difference between rend is the fact that it's instant so you can work it in with other attacks and it won't take an attack turn, it doesn't have to have a full timed round like heroic strike does, and it still takes less rage. I use it right after the rage charge gives you to instantly start the fight with a DOT on them.

Re: No subject
Dec 5, 2004, 12:26
Xii
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2004, 12:26
Dec 5, 2004, 12:26
Xii

Yes, one of the reasons I waited was because I wanted to see how many problems they could iron out and how quickly they did it. I don't think that really is all that odd. Actually, I'm very glad I missed the first few days with all of the same problems that occured during the start of the OB.

Second, not everyone celebrates christmas/chanukah/kwanza/festivus, remember?
Maybe I can find and con someone who does

Dec 5, 2004, 12:12
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2004, 12:12
Dec 5, 2004, 12:12

I'm glad I decided to wait until finals end in December to start playing this game.

Me and you both, brutha! Also it's good to wait until December because there is a special holiday in December where friends or relatives can get it for you for free. Maybe you've heard of it.

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
The mayor of your hearts <3<3<3<3<3
This comment was edited on Dec 5, 12:13.
ExcessDan

Dec 5, 2004, 10:30
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2004, 10:30
Dec 5, 2004, 10:30

"I'm glad I decided to wait until finals end in December to start playing this game. Maybe the voices of these paying customers are what was needed to kick them in the ass and fix some long outstanding issues... maybe."

Was fixing the gameplay issues the reason you waited until after finals to start this addiction? Now that is odd.

Re: If Only...
Dec 5, 2004, 03:06
Re: If Only... Dec 5, 2004, 03:06
Dec 5, 2004, 03:06

re:the ncsoft gamelist:

don't forget guild wars. i can't wait for that to finally hit the stores.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 03:06.
---

check my site, download my mp3s:
http://www.mrballistic.com/

No subject
Dec 5, 2004, 02:33
Xii
No subject Dec 5, 2004, 02:33
Dec 5, 2004, 02:33
Xii

I'm glad I decided to wait until finals end in December to start playing this game. Maybe the voices of these paying customers are what was needed to kick them in the ass and fix some long outstanding issues... maybe.

Dec 5, 2004, 02:17
Re: w00t Dec 5, 2004, 02:17
Dec 5, 2004, 02:17

It's about time Blizzard acts upon hackers even if it's about six years too late.

???

I seriously anyone has even come close to banning the sheer volume of players Blizzard has. They've banned people well into the tens of thousands. Blizzard has NEVER been soft on hackers. They may not have the fastest response, but when the hammer comes down, it comes down hard.

"It's not that I can't help these people. It's just I don't want to."
- Lawrence Bourne III, Volunteers
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Dec 5, 2004, 00:09
PHJF

Re: If Only... Dec 5, 2004, 00:09
Dec 5, 2004, 00:09
 PHJF

Who the hell is NC Soft?

NCSoft = Lineage, Lineage 2, City of Heroes

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Dec 5, 2004, 00:00
Re: If Only... Dec 5, 2004, 00:00
Dec 5, 2004, 00:00

If only they had been this proactive with Diablo II, I might have actually tried WoW. Seems a little amusing that they didn't really act on all the cheating in Diablo II until much later, when it was too late.

It is too bad that they never put more resources into D2. Yeah there was no monthly fee, but the game sold a bagillion copies. The damn thing is still on store shelves with new titles. I think they put in some energy later on to get some customer goodwill since Wow was coming soon. Smart bastards.

Dec 4, 2004, 23:42
Re: w00t Dec 4, 2004, 23:42
Dec 4, 2004, 23:42

Blizzard seems to give you back talent points it has edited

Funny how they were never this generous when they nerfed consecutive character classes back in the early days of Diablo II. I guess a monthly fee makes all the difference.

It's about time Blizzard acts upon hackers even if it's about six years too late.

Creston

If Only...
Dec 4, 2004, 23:18
If Only... Dec 4, 2004, 23:18
Dec 4, 2004, 23:18

If only they had been this proactive with Diablo II, I might have actually tried WoW. Seems a little amusing that they didn't really act on all the cheating in Diablo II until much later, when it was too late.

Dec 4, 2004, 22:42
Re: w00t Dec 4, 2004, 22:42
Dec 4, 2004, 22:42

A: Man, at least Ray is more addicted than I am.

B: People had been saying warriors were broken by the final open beta patch. I can confirm that the Paladin talent system is changing daily, Blizzard seems to give you back talent points it has edited. I'm saving my 1st talent "rollback" until this is straightened out (although I fear they will take away all my abilities to prevent spell interruption and spellcaster agro, it's freakishly powerful now)

C: I loved when I logged on tonight and they blatantly said "instances are so screwed up that we aren't even going to respond to GM requests regarding them." Thanks.

Dec 4, 2004, 22:40
Re: No subject Dec 4, 2004, 22:40
Dec 4, 2004, 22:40

Who the hell is NC Soft?

I can understand why blizzard is cracking down on users of a "speed cheat" - the faster you can move around the landscape, the quicker you can complete a quest which means you can play more of the game in your free month than Blizzard intended. They are protecting their financial interest in the product, it has nothing to do with protecting cheat free players.

Been reported since beta
Dec 4, 2004, 22:37
Been reported since beta Dec 4, 2004, 22:37
Dec 4, 2004, 22:37

This cheat has been around since beta, and has been reported countless times by myself and others with no response from Blizzard.

One would wonder if they're actually so inept that they cannot fix it.

Re: So soon?
Dec 4, 2004, 21:40
Re: So soon? Dec 4, 2004, 21:40
Dec 4, 2004, 21:40

It's sort of concerning to me. The game has just hit retail for less than a month and there are already hacks for the game that work. Is it a sign of things to come, or a blip on the radar?

The speed hack is a standard hack that is used in other games. There's really nothing special about it. They speed up the packets that are being sent to Blizzard. This has been done in other MMORPGs as well, such as DAoC. It is detectable on the server, however. As for how fast it showed up, remember that the beta test lasted a long time. They could easily have been working on it and just not release it until after beta was over. The crackers who wrote it probably know better than to use it in the middle of a fight. It's the idiots who activate it in the middle of a fight they are losing. Big duh to them.

I'm glad they were all banned. I hope more use it and get banned. Less people on my server is a good thing.

w00t
Dec 4, 2004, 21:26
w00t Dec 4, 2004, 21:26
Dec 4, 2004, 21:26

Go get 'em, Blizzard!

Was this movement only or attack as well? If movement only, there are still much more obvious, blatant hacks out there. If it applies to combat, this may have been "the" hack. I know that there were level thirty-eight characters in as many hours as WoW was up and running (which even then, when you account for the maintenance issues, was not a true thirty-eight hours.)

Now where does Blizzard fall on bots? It does seem to want ony one player per server, you can only make one character per account per server, but I know a number of people that use bots. I have even grouped with one player that primarily plays a rogue with a bot mage and bot priest. Talk about never really needing a group...

Meanwhile, why is my warrior class so broken? I love watching hunters a few levels below me take out a mob before I can. Yes, I keep up with all the 1337 stuff - about 2400 in armor, a 19.7 DPS one-hand weapon, all the skills, etc. Speaking of skills, I love that I cannot purchase that one warrior skill because it is for the now-removed fury stance. Most of the fury stances do seem a bit awkward as it is. What is the point of rend when, for just two more rage points (I took the 3 rage deduction via talents,) I can do an instant heroic strike that does more damage? Let's look at sunder - oh cute, the talent points I spent on improving sunder are broken.

Anyway, WTF? Why am I posting? Must go play World of Warcraft.

BOW BEFORE THE GLORY OF THE NIGHT ELVES, HUMAN SLAVES AND GNOME/DWARF SCUM!11111

I don't really mind the gnomes, but I worry about tripping over them.

/v silly,
Ray

-----
Half-Life 2: All that and a bag of chips!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: .
Dec 4, 2004, 20:50
Re: . Dec 4, 2004, 20:50
Dec 4, 2004, 20:50

terrapin: There's a bug in the pistol where you can shoot all 18 rounds in one second.

Dec 4, 2004, 20:04
Re: . Dec 4, 2004, 20:04
Dec 4, 2004, 20:04

I'm pretty sure I was cheated against in HL2 last night. Someone kept killing me in one shot with the regular pistol (not the revolver).

Dec 4, 2004, 19:22
Re: . Dec 4, 2004, 19:22
Dec 4, 2004, 19:22

I think it's funny these cheaters like to label themselves 'hackers' because they can download a script and install it. LOL. They just need to be labeled for what they are, pimply faced 'losers'.

-Tony!!!;)
Passive Online Income
www.MonitaryMan.com
-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older