Guild Wars Event Commences

The Guild Wars Website has the announcement that the second weekend beta test of ArenaNet's upcoming MMORPG is underway. Word is:
Our second Beta Weekend Event has begun. In order to accommodate our European and Asian players and give them a full weekend of Guild Wars beta testing, we will be opening this and all future Beta Weekend Events on Friday mornings of the weekend in question.
We're also delighted to announce that the top five guilds on the Guild Wars Ladder at the end of this weekend will receive an invitation for representatives to join our Alpha Test Team. Details will follow. In the meantime, see you in Guild Wars!
View : : :
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: No subject
Dec 5, 2004, 00:42
Com
Re: No subject Dec 5, 2004, 00:42
Dec 5, 2004, 00:42
Com

The biggest thing GW has going against it is the misplaced expectations of players who already have ingrained in their heads what an mmorpg is "supposed to be". You can see examples of that here (ie thwart's post, no offense intended). Here WoW has the edge because it gives players what they expect, whereas Guild Wars is not easy to figure out and currently there is not enough in-game guidence.

As far as balance, I think it's pretty damn great. But that's not easy to figure out until you get a good group, and there is a shortage of competitive missions. For instance, it would be awesome to have a 4on4 where you can pick teams. Or dueling. Or two on two. 4on4 random or 8on8 with people you probably don't know is chaotic and favors everyone's favorite warrior/monks. BUT, I've been on teams of four where we didn't have a single warrior, and routinely kept decimating teams consisting of 3 warrior/monks and a monk.

Dec 4, 2004, 16:10
Re: No subject Dec 4, 2004, 16:10
Dec 4, 2004, 16:10

I realised that the game become very boring and gay (exemple: the dead penality is VERY stupid).

Really? Why?

I thought it was a pretty decent way to "punish" a player for getting killed, while still allowing them to keep on having fun..

OTOH, I can recall one mission where I got worked over pretty badly, so my stats were quite severely hobbled by the time we got through that one (I got killed at least 4 times in one battle though, and it was always my own stupidity that caused it..) That might not have been the most fun, but it was a good challenge for sure, and certainly drove home the idea that this is a game where you sometimes need to yell "RUN AWAY!!" And do exactly that..

-----
"I want my lamp back. I'm gonna need it to get out of this slimy mudhole."
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Dec 4, 2004, 12:03
Re: No subject Dec 4, 2004, 12:03

I don't like GW. The first hours were cool, but I realised that the game become very boring and gay (exemple: the dead penality is VERY stupid). Nice graphics tho, but gameplay > graphics

Even if there is no monthly fees, this game doesnt worth the buy IMHO.

WoW > GW

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 12:25.

Re: No subject Dec 4, 2004, 12:03

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 12:04.

No subject
Dec 4, 2004, 10:38
Per
No subject Dec 4, 2004, 10:38
Dec 4, 2004, 10:38
Per

Unbalanced.

Re: I Have No Pass
Dec 4, 2004, 09:24
Re: I Have No Pass Dec 4, 2004, 09:24
Dec 4, 2004, 09:24

Suppose you have 16 members in a guild. Can all 16 of you fight together as a group at the same time against other guilds? Or should this game be called mini-Guild Wars?

I Have No Pass
Dec 4, 2004, 09:11
I Have No Pass Dec 4, 2004, 09:11
Dec 4, 2004, 09:11

I have not been able to preorder my copy of Guild wars so i am unable to play the Beta weekend i would be very gratefull if anyone could please give me their unused friend pass

Email it to Extinctmadcat@hotmail.com
Pleasee! I will be very greatfull if anyone could

Re: Ummm...
Dec 4, 2004, 06:52
Re: Ummm... Dec 4, 2004, 06:52
Dec 4, 2004, 06:52

I agree with the above poster.

I really like both games but I currently enjoy wow more than GW because it´s new and fresh. When GW comes out next year i´ll probably play that instead.

Dec 4, 2004, 06:12
Re: Ummm... Dec 4, 2004, 06:12
Dec 4, 2004, 06:12

This game is called Guild Wars, but the guild functionality really just amounts to a tab on the interface that is completely useless. Supposedly there is actually a guild building. But no one seems to know where it is.

I didn't even bother to read the rest of your post, as you clearly have no idea wtf you are talking about. Hopefully no one else here takes your comments seriously, you obviously haven't even played Guild Wars for more than a few minutes.

Dec 4, 2004, 04:20
Re: Ummm... Dec 4, 2004, 04:20
Dec 4, 2004, 04:20

I left the WPE a little unimpressed, but for some reason have a hankerin' to go back and try it again.

Dec 4, 2004, 04:16
Re: Ummm... Dec 4, 2004, 04:16
Dec 4, 2004, 04:16

I spent a little time in a guild (I quite, but only because they were idiots ) in the last preview event, and I felt it was a well developed system. Your guild hall is located on the world map.. you have to click on it.. not sure how you didn't manage to find that, but I digress.

Anyway, getting your guild together and PvPing on the "guild" map or whatever was pretty fun, even if it wasn't properly balanced during the last WPE. All in all, there's a lot less PvE raid content (none right now) but I don't miss that stuff, the PvP more than makes up for it.

Still doubt I'll buy the game, because it'll probably be too much of a time sink for me to justify right now, but I like these WPE's.. enjoying them in moderation

edit: Sync, sink.. whatever..

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 04:17.
I eat pasta!

Ummm...
Dec 4, 2004, 04:11
Ummm... Dec 4, 2004, 04:11
Dec 4, 2004, 04:11

This game is called Guild Wars, but the guild functionality really just amounts to a tab on the interface that is completely useless. Supposedly there is actually a guild building. But no one seems to know where it is.

Basically you start the game and when it gets done loading you see a bunch of people either standing around trading or they are running around like morons. Only four people can go on a quest. And the quests are difficult and uninspiring.

However, Guild Wars might be a good place to get a group of people together to play World of Warcraft.

I know. That wasn't fair. But I quite honestly don't see how this game is very fun. It's not a true mmorpg. That's why you don't get stuck with a monthly fee. But I think they're trying to make you think it is. Then again, I've never played an mmorpg so what do I know?

So far this game feels like a visual chatroom and a prettier Dungeon Siege.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 04:14.

Re: Anyone doing this?
Dec 4, 2004, 03:25
Re: Anyone doing this? Dec 4, 2004, 03:25
Dec 4, 2004, 03:25

I really enjoyed it. The ease of getting a group going was a big turn on for me. Even playing without a guild (which I prefer to do in these games) it was easy to find groups and enjoy myself.

I definately enjoyed it more than WoW, where I spent most of my time soloing. Also, the PvP system is a blast, if you get into a decent group you can have a really good time with it..
I eat pasta!

Re: Anyone doing this?
Dec 4, 2004, 03:14
Re: Anyone doing this? Dec 4, 2004, 03:14
Dec 4, 2004, 03:14

From the pervious two events this game did nothing for me at all. It's pretty, but that's about it, IMO.

"It's not that I can't help these people. It's just I don't want to."
- Lawrence Bourne III, Volunteers
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Anyone doing this?
Dec 4, 2004, 02:10
Anyone doing this? Dec 4, 2004, 02:10
Dec 4, 2004, 02:10

If anyone preordered so they could play this weekend and happens to have an extra friend pass...

beguiledfoil@hotmail.com if you want to throw me some love.
I eat pasta!
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older