DOOM Movie Update

Dark Horizons (thanks Ant) has a translated summary of a story form a Czech reporter who visited the DOOM movie set in Prague. The report outlines various aspects of how the movie's story will diverge from the game's. Here's a bit:
The story follows eight marines, teleported into a command centre of a secret base on a remote planet. There, they learn that something strange is happening and soon monsters start to appear. The monsters aren't from hell, but rather people mutated by some nasty super-virus although the monsters look very similar to those in the game.

...Producers claim that the film will be more of a horror than an action shooter.

There will be loads of shooting though, especially in the end where a large number of sequences will be shot purely in "first-person" perspective of the leading character (Karl Urban). The chainsaw and Bio Force Gun do appear in the film.
View : : :
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: It's your money, you decide...
Dec 5, 2004, 12:18
Re: It's your money, you decide... Dec 5, 2004, 12:18
Dec 5, 2004, 12:18

Who needs a good plot anyways?

Dec 5, 2004, 00:28
Re: It's your money, you decide... Dec 5, 2004, 00:28
Dec 5, 2004, 00:28

On the flip side, this would be like creating a Texas Chainsaw Massacre game without the Chainsaw or the Massacre...lmao. Or, maybe a Friday the 13th game without Jason or all the killing.

Granted, in terms of getting "it" right, many games based upon movies have done about as a bad a job as the movies based upon games. No matter what the subject matter, not trying to properly capture the "thing" that made the other special is a mistake.

Unfortunately, too many ppl don't learn from their previous mistakes and continue to go out and buy/rent/etc. these movies and games based upon the other without waiting to see if they are truely worth the money or not. A little patience goes a long way (and saves some money too).

While the "suits" (on both sides) will do what they can in order to try and cash-in on something that is popular, "we" (consumers) are the ones that ultimately control whether or not they can get away with it (over and over and over again). :}

Re: Rated R Horror Movies History
Dec 4, 2004, 22:54
Re: Rated R Horror Movies History Dec 4, 2004, 22:54
Dec 4, 2004, 22:54

"What is the standard age group for people purchasing video games? 12-19 by far!"

That is incorrect. The majority of the gaming community is in their mid-20's to 30's.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041123/ap_en_ot/video_game_violence

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-05-12-gamer-demographics_x.htm

Re: Rated R Horror Movies History
Dec 4, 2004, 21:02
Re: Rated R Horror Movies History Dec 4, 2004, 21:02
Dec 4, 2004, 21:02

Zephalephelah,

R-Rated movies don't do well critically? Are you kidding me?

What do Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, The English Patient, Braveheart, and Schindler's List have in common? They're all Best Picture winners and all are R-Rated.

Granted, a Doom movie's not going to go up for a major Academy Award, but plenty of R-rated movies fair quite well with critics and audiences alike.

Rated R Horror Movies History
Dec 4, 2004, 18:25
Rated R Horror Movies History Dec 4, 2004, 18:25
Dec 4, 2004, 18:25

Only Silence of the Lambs did really good critically, and the original Psycho.

I do agree that this should be about demons & that the seals & protection circles should be in the movie. I also agree that the movie should be rated R, because a movie with a PG-13 rating is not going to show gibs, etc.

Well, why didn't they do that? I mean really? It is pretty obvious when you think about it. What is the standard age group for people purchasing video games? 12-19 by far! Afterward, many men get weighed down with jobs & family. Also, considering age, why would a studio desire a bunch of bad press about a satanic movie? It's just not going to happen.

However, when you have rated R movies like Hellraiser which although rated R is actually specifically aimed at the same age group, you have to scratch your head & ask WTF.

Inotherwords, this got dumped down the censorship toilet.

Most importantly though is that ID does certainly know about the plot & agrees with it. Why? Obvious. They don't give a fuck. All they want is to say, yeah, and our game Doom was made into a movie too. They don't give a flying fuck whether it was a good movie or not. The Tombraider movies weren't very good & yet it brought in a considerable amount of extra revenue by new people buying the games & by the sale of movie rights. It's pretty simple when it comes down to it. ID doesn't give a flying fuck about anything except money. And like it or not, neither would most of us. You could say that you would want quality, and at 18yrs old, that might be true, but when you get to be as old as the ID guys, and have as much money as them, wtf, just make your mark & fuck it, if it sucks so what. At least someone made it. And that's the problem.

I say, fuck ID & fuck this movie. I'll probably watch it on DVD. I mean why wouldn't I? I love doom. BUt fuck ID! And fuck this movie. Bunch of faggot fuckers! THey can't get anything straight & they are so full of themselves that they don't give a fuck about the fans. BTW, Doom3 sucked ass! It was a stupid fucking dark faggot game that repeated itself so often that the only fucking hope that I have for this movie is that I don't have to see another fucking Imp in it, not even a picture or xray or whatever of one. Doom3 SUCKED! I was sooooo hyped. But it sucked.

Half-life2 was far, far, far, far, far better. But even Half-Life2 wasn't as good as FarCry and that game had some dumbass voice-acting in it. But at least it was fun & had truly incredible outside environments. Half-life2 was really 2 games; a gay ass faggot vehicle game, and a pretty fun game that was a little claustrophobic, but certainly not the hallway BS of Doom3.

I'll watch the Doom movie, but it will be as a curiosity rather than an awaited event. But I'm not surprised that the Doom movie won't be Doom. Even Doom3 wasn't Doom.

Dec 4, 2004, 17:43
Re: It's your money, you decide... Dec 4, 2004, 17:43
Dec 4, 2004, 17:43

Funny thing is though is that the producers in Hollywood are so out of touch that when Doom's ticket sales dive they wont stop and think "Hmmm, we should have made this movie more true to the game.". Instead they'll think, "Hmm... we should have made this movie MORE safe for a wider audiance." or "There's just no money to be made here". I don't think they quite get it. I think they believe that they have all the right formulas to make a profitable movie and when it goes wrong it couldn't possibly be their own fault.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if I was I think movies wouldn't be systematicly going further and furhter south every year since 2000.

It's your money, you decide...
Dec 4, 2004, 16:15
It's your money, you decide... Dec 4, 2004, 16:15
Dec 4, 2004, 16:15

(/Simpsons Comic Book Store / Internet Geek Guy Voice Mode On)
Worst...movie...ever!
(/Simpsons Comic Book Store / Internet Geek Guy Voice Mode off)

I have seen pretty much every video game movie incarnation to date. There have been some "meh, okay" ones to some down right horrible (WTF were they thinking?) ones. The problem usually boils down to the people making the films not having a true "grasp" (or love) of the material that are willing to do it justice.

While I wasn't a fan of the Resident Evil games, I saw the movie and thought that while it wasn't the best film ever made, it was okay for a game film (at least as compared to some). As a zombie film fan I was looking foreward to seeing House of the Dead. Lucky for me I got to see it in a cheap ($1.50 per film) theatre. Even then I wanted to ask for my money back. Straight to video would have been too good for that one...lol.

In any case, more to the subject at hand, this altering of the DooM story SHOULD tick fans of the series off. The ONLY way stuff like this will stop happening is if people refuse to support it...i.e. not go see the film. The DooM name alone will be enough to get ppl to go see it...thus why the Hollywood types were willing to use it. When you know something like this about a film, TELL OTHER PEOPLE.

Try and let them know that the project is not true to it's "roots". While it may not matter to some, the more ppl willing to refuse to accept this sort of thing (i.e. not go see a film created in this way), the less opportunity there will be for those doing it to be able to do so again in the future. If one of the, if not THE, biggest/well known game title in gaming history can't be done justic by Hollywood, then let them know you are unwilling to put your money into their pockets by not going to see the film.

Spiderman would not have done as well had it not stuck to what made it special...the essense of the story/characters people knew and WANTED to see. No matter how many stars, special effects, etc. you throw at the screen, if you don't "get" what the subject matter is about, why should those that are interested in it care? The only thing "we" as paying customers can do about it is not put money in the pockets of those doing it. Doing so basically says it's "okay" for them to keep on doing it...and they will.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 16:16.

Re: No subject
Dec 4, 2004, 14:50
Re: No subject Dec 4, 2004, 14:50
Dec 4, 2004, 14:50

Will the DVD have an alternate version where the guy kills everything with just his fists?

Not poss with the new Doom, but I got pretty far in the original like that (I was a student).

Dec 4, 2004, 13:48
Re: No subject Dec 4, 2004, 13:48
Dec 4, 2004, 13:48

Right I'm sure this movie will be as good as resident evil. Please. This movie sucks because their plot has been done before so many times. Aliens, Predator, Resident Evil. All I have to say zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

So much for id for not selling out their creative control for cash. Not really surprising, everything has a price, everything. The movie will suck just like all of the movies in this teeny bopper genre.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 13:52.

Dec 4, 2004, 13:23
Re: No subject Dec 4, 2004, 13:23
Dec 4, 2004, 13:23

I am a Christian (and a Bush supporter) and play almost exculively First Person Shooters. Quake and Doom (and HalfLife) are incredible games and have always thought they would make great movies and live action effects if done right.

In answer to the question posed by The Truth in #41, I do not believe the DOOM franchise supports satanic following. Crypts, neogothic architecture, special effects, and THE REJECTION of demonic seperiotiy is what Doom is all about. Your mission in this game is to destroy demons and other hellish things while trying to save your friends. No doubt the demons and stuff look really cool, but it certainly won't make 18 yr. old Jimmy start worshiping Satan.

So I don't buy for a second that they are trying to appeal to "middle america," "bush supporters," or "those christians" by changing the plot to viruses. These people who would find fault in watching a movie about a Marine killing demons will not go see a movie called Doom, even it is about a biological experiment gone wrong or whatever.

Doom is violent, and is meant to be violent. The story is simple and straightforward. It is nothing new, but I think visually it would be impressive as a movie. Instead they are going the bio-route, which I believe is a big mistake. But don't blame the religious folks. Blame hollywood and id software.

Re: hahah
Dec 4, 2004, 12:51
Re: hahah Dec 4, 2004, 12:51
Dec 4, 2004, 12:51

WHAT! They're TOTALLY throwing away the story! The Doom 3 story was unbelievable. Dramatic, moving, evocative. I CRIED when I killed that 76th demon in level 4. That's how much it moved me. And now they're throwing it all away.

Funny! The eskimo thing was funnier though.

Dec 4, 2004, 12:43
Re: No subject Dec 4, 2004, 12:43
Dec 4, 2004, 12:43

Can you say "straight to DVD"?

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

No subject
Dec 4, 2004, 12:22
No subject Dec 4, 2004, 12:22
Dec 4, 2004, 12:22

Doom without hell? What?

No subject
Dec 4, 2004, 12:11
No subject Dec 4, 2004, 12:11
Dec 4, 2004, 12:11

I have lost faith in carmack and the rest of the guys. They said they would not let this happen and now look... They just want the money

I never wanted to do this job in the first place! I... I wanted to be... A LUMBERJACK! Leaping from tree to tree! As they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia! With my best girl by my side! The Larch! The Pine! The Giant Redwood tree! The Seq

Dec 4, 2004, 12:08
Re: No subject Dec 4, 2004, 12:08
Dec 4, 2004, 12:08

So if good games make bad movies (super mario brothers, tomb raider) than do bad games (Doom3) make good movies? I doubt it.

Dec 4, 2004, 12:04
Re: No subject Dec 4, 2004, 12:04
Dec 4, 2004, 12:04

Another game that would be perfect for the movies would be Legacy of Kain, if they could pull off all those insane locations and special effects. And of course, they would have to use the same voices.

Anyhoo, I think this Doom movie will have PG-13 rating, but of course it will show lots of gore, but no swearing - because that is so very bad!!.

heh, that's the american rating system for ya.

No subject
Dec 4, 2004, 11:56
No subject Dec 4, 2004, 11:56
Dec 4, 2004, 11:56

Wha-? The X-Files...<echo>IN SPACE!!!</echo>

What about Carmack
Dec 4, 2004, 11:47
What about Carmack Dec 4, 2004, 11:47
Dec 4, 2004, 11:47

I really want to know what Carmack and Co. think about this...if Carmack were dead (by some accident with his rocket), he'd be spinning in his grave.

What really pisses me off is that they're doing the prequel to the Exorcist...but they won't put demons in the Doom movie.

Un-fucking-believable.

-Azrael
"Don't Fear the Reaper, fear ME."
Decade of Death (A tribute to FPSs)
Part 2: http://files.filefront.com/Decade_of_Death_part_2_The_Battle_Goes_Global/;3508350;;/fileinfo.html
Part 3: http://files.filefront.com/Decade_of_Death_3_Dawn_of_War/;
-Azrael
"Don't Fear the Reaper, fear ME."
http://gamershots.net

Re: Doom what?
Dec 4, 2004, 11:36
Re: Doom what? Dec 4, 2004, 11:36
Dec 4, 2004, 11:36

"That's even worse if you consider how many games are perfectly suited for a "straight to movie" port, like the Metal Gear Solid series. "

You mean MGS was a game? I thought it was a movie...

To The Truth, my guess is that the big studio houses that the idea gets pitched to are the ones making the decisions. This has nothing to do with iD to a certain extent. I have a feeling they said something like "Get rid of this, this and this and then replace that with this and you have yourself a deal. If you don't like it..."

Dec 4, 2004, 10:57
Re: No subject Dec 4, 2004, 10:57
Dec 4, 2004, 10:57

Theres a couple of things that annoy me with this, besides the obvious mentioned below.

Didnt Carmack and Co say that they would only let a movie go ahead if they retained creative control? I honestly thought that they had enough money to not be swayed like this, i was obviously wrong.

2nd, the point about why no demons and a virus instead to appease the religious lot out there, that really makes me wonder. You see a film that encouraged satanism i can understand people not wanting released. but a film, set on a distant planet in the far future showcaseing why satan and hell are so utterly bad and evil, and then the forces of good triumphing over them, you would think would be a good showcase of having some faith? There any religious followers here who want to comment on that? Ant? im truly intrested to know what the rational behind the hatred of this kind of film is.

Also, changing the Big Fucking Gun, to the Big Flower and Daisies Gun, so as to not offend people, that bothers me too. In a film where people are horribly mutated, or if it gets changed where there are demon spawn , nobody says the F word? (The F word of the day is Fuck). unbelievable, grow up and give the film the rating it deserves, not a shameless attempt to sell it to the teenage boys, who are no longer the teenagers they were when they first played the game.

Sigh.

"The Whole worlds gone to hell, but how are you?"

------
$1 tax for the national debt?
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older