Half-Life 2 Bullet Time

Half-Life 2 Files now offers downloads of a small Bullet Time modification for Half-Life 2. Word is: "Here's a tiny simple script for hl2, which makes the game go "bullet-time" when pressing "b" button and while in bullet-time the physics and ragdolls fly a lot further than in normal mode. Due to no physics on bullets except crossbow, grenades, rpg and bugbait, the other weapons' bullets wont slow down."
View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Voxel
Nov 30, 2004, 12:17
Re: Voxel Nov 30, 2004, 12:17
Nov 30, 2004, 12:17

Actually, they were used in quite a few games.

Also, voxels are actually a target of the future, not of the past. The problem with implimentation is it requires large amounts of memory (X1xY1xZ1), but overcomming that limitation gives you very realistic objects that can be "opened" and broken apart to reveal the innards.

Pixar's renderman, as well as NewTek Lightwave's rendering engine uses voxels to render smoke, fog, hair, fur, etc. e.g.: http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/feature_hypervoxels.html

Nvidia has experiemented with rendering voxels in hardware, and there are software packages available to actually use the nvidia GPU to start moving back to voxels.

You can render 100's of bullets in the air with the Havok engine because it interpolates physics objects along a predetermined spline at small intervals with keyframes using bounding boxes for collision detection. The end result is ultra-low CPU usage for objects that are slowly moving and rotating through the air but not hitting anything. It almost costs nothing as far as physics engine (cpu) resources are concerned. Once bullets hit something, it would be one slowly after the other, (not 100's per second), so that also would be a very small to no performance hit.

It sounds like to me, if something hasn't been done before or invented, then you would say its not possible just because it hasn't been done before. Thats the whole foundation of starting and founding your own company. Don't just quit and give up because something is hard, find a better solution and figure out a way to do it.

Something I tell people all the time, "There is always a solution, its only software...".

Nov 30, 2004, 09:33
Re: Voxel Nov 30, 2004, 09:33
Nov 30, 2004, 09:33

Yes, I know what a Voxel is. A volume of pixels represented by a single strand of code, used by a single company that made some helicopter game that was visually stunning back in 1997 or some shit.

You're still being completely naive' in your expectation that Valve could have done this or that the modders could have done this. You suggest that the bullets would have two seperate types of coding, one for bullet-time in which they would be objects & one for regular-time where they would be non-objects. You go on to state that this shouldn't impact gameplay performance because it is bullet-time. That's folly. First of all, you would most likely expect there to also be ripples behind said bullet objects, secondly the game does not slow down to 3fps simply because it appears to be moving at 3fps. If it did, then you and everything else would move in jerkiness, much like your inept, unthoughtout posts.

The time of the Voxel is finished. You should likewise depart from us. Quit your job, you are only helping to create products that would be more useful with someone who can think past their own ego and use some common sense.

You're right about one thing though. I certainly thought you were twelve.

Nov 29, 2004, 12:46
Re: Voxel Nov 29, 2004, 12:46
Nov 29, 2004, 12:46

Yes, I know they didn't use the method, hence my post suggesting if you are making a mod called "BULLET TIME", why not replace the weapons to use bullet objects instead?

Now, there is one thing that I did not mention that I ment to, and that is an honest mistake, I forgot to say that you should only use the bullet object when in bullet time, and not when in normal game mode. Otherwise, it would cause too much overhead normally, in bullet time, everything is running so slow, there wouldn't be much overhead even with 100's of bullets in the air most likely. I mentioned in my first post removing gavity effect on the bullet objects when in bullet time because you don't want the objects behaving any differently than the normal target-along-a-vector code.

I understand exactly why they do what they do, I'm a software developer myself, I don't work in the gaming industry, but used to code demos back in the early 1990's, hence my nick Voxel.... You do know what a voxel is right?

Don't be naive and assume just because you are talking on an internet message board, you are always talking to 12 year olds....

Nov 29, 2004, 12:07
Re: Voxel Nov 29, 2004, 12:07
Nov 29, 2004, 12:07

But they didn't Voxel. They didn't use that method. Why not? Why did the great Valve not use that method?

I know the answer. It's pretty simple to understand. But if you don't get it, then I can't help you.

I doubt you will. But that's because you're dumber than a box of rocks.

Nov 29, 2004, 01:10
Re: Voxel Nov 29, 2004, 01:10
Nov 29, 2004, 01:10

"...to throw a bullet object using the physics engine..."

Object = A real three dimensional object, in this case, the shape of a bullet, a bullet object. This could be a damn milk-carton for all I care. Just DONT USE THE DAMN vector based code anymore, USE THE physics engine.

"The mod could have, at the least, converted each bullet-based weapon..."

CHANGE THE FUCKING WEAPON TO THROW A REAL THREE DIMENSIONAL OBJECT.

Can you not fucking read? Throw a damn object instead of just calculating along a vector. Damn you are stupid.

Why oh why do I feed the trolls :-)

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 01:11.

Nov 28, 2004, 23:37
Re: Voxel Nov 28, 2004, 23:37
Nov 28, 2004, 23:37

Let's examine this shall we?

"The mod could of at least converted each bullet based weapon to throw a bullet object using the physics engine (remove gravity effect on the bullet objects so they behave the same). "

"The mod could have, at the least, converted each bullet-based weapon..."

Okay, so far so good.

"...to throw a bullet object using the physics engine..."

Oops, your argument just fell apart. The physics engine does not work like that. It is instantaneous. What part of instantaneous don't you understand? You should get the instant part & I know you get the anus part of it alright. Because as soon as you arrived on this board you were an instantanus with your pathetic use of the English language. I suppose I can overlook your stupid verbage with "throw"ing a bullet, but most all of your posts are like brain-puzzles for the stupid where you expect us to figure out what you are saying instead of just saying it plainly. I don't know how old you are but your English skills are around 4th grade.

Finally, you state, "(remove gravity effect on the bullet objects so they behave the same)."

WTF? I don't even know what you're attempting to say it is so fucking lacking. What gravity effect? What are bullet objects, the bullets or the objects they are hitting?

Now go push your daddy's love hole & earn your allowance.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 23:40.

Nov 28, 2004, 19:11
Re: Voxel Nov 28, 2004, 19:11
Nov 28, 2004, 19:11

Did you even read my first post? and I quote...

"The mod could of at least converted each bullet based weapon to throw a bullet object using the physics engine (remove gravity effect on the bullet objects so they behave the same). "

Take the tampon out of your vagina and stop acting like a little bitch...

Re: How is this
Nov 28, 2004, 07:12
Re: How is this Nov 28, 2004, 07:12
Nov 28, 2004, 07:12

It isn't 'lazy'. Treating each bullet as a physics object would just place extra strain on the engine without adding anything substantial to gameplay.

And voxel ... you want every bullet as an object? Then write your own mod, arsehole!

Nov 28, 2004, 03:06
Re: Voxel Nov 28, 2004, 03:06
Nov 28, 2004, 03:06

Backtracking & explaining what you wished to imply or felt you suggested does not negate your utter stupidity, you dumb mother fucker. Reread your post. I don't give a shit what you wished to imply or felt you suggested. What you said was that they didn't make the bullets of HL2 go slow in the BulletTime modification. This is because you are a half-breasted dwarf idiot mongolion child molesting mother fucking cock sucking piece of dried cum on the ass of a hobo.

You cannot slow down the bullets of half-life you idiot! They are coded to hit instantly. They ****DO NOT**** travel through space or time at all. You shoot & you either hit or you miss. End of story. Quit trying to back out of your inept post.

Nov 27, 2004, 18:38
Re: How is this Nov 27, 2004, 18:38
Nov 27, 2004, 18:38

WTF are you talking about. Bullets in real life are not instantaneous. The mod is susposed to emualte slowing down the "virtual reality" that half life 2 employes. This means, slowing down the previously "instantaneous" bullets, which isn't possible if the engine is calculating along a vector to a target, so instead, REPLACE that logic with that of a real bullet object that runs with the physics engine so that "BULLET TIME" can truely be emulated.

It truly boggles my mind how increadibly stupid you are.

Stop trolling.

Nov 27, 2004, 15:12
PHJF

Re: How is this Nov 27, 2004, 15:12
Nov 27, 2004, 15:12
 PHJF

It boggles the mind why they didn't include BULLETS you dumb ass.

And no, it doesn't "suit the gameplay" they wanted. It's just lazy.

Stop making idiotic posts.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Nov 27, 2004, 11:06
Re: How is this Nov 27, 2004, 11:06
Nov 27, 2004, 11:06

How is this "bullet time" when it... Nov 27, 03:02 voxel

doesn't even slow down bullets! How lame is that. The mod could of at least converted each bullet based weapon to throw a bullet object using the physics engine (remove gravity effect on the bullet objects so they behave the same).

I hate it when people do half-assed work, polish it up people, do the last 1% of the work.

Stop making bullshit mods.

This is a great illustration of the harm of video games to young minds. This pathetic moron expects the physics from the Matrix & yet utterly fails to see how such basic physics are explained.

The bullets are instantaneous you cretin! If you try to slow instantaneous down, it is still instantaneous! Are you so completely mentally retarded that you can't imagine this basic idea????? If you try to add 1 to infinity, you have done nothing to extend the already infinite!

It truly boggles the mind how incredibly stupid many young gamers are today. Stop skipping classes & pay attention; you might just learn something as extremely basic as this. I hate it when people do half-assed thinking. Read the news prior to posting people, do the first 1% of the work.

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 11:09.

No subject
Nov 27, 2004, 10:48
No subject Nov 27, 2004, 10:48
Nov 27, 2004, 10:48

funny how people can be suckered in by an old gimmick like bullet time.

I mean seriously...It was cool for The Matrix, a rip-off for everything else....so move on.

Nov 27, 2004, 06:56
Re: How is this Nov 27, 2004, 06:56
Nov 27, 2004, 06:56

It does not boggle the mind.. they've stated quite clearly that they did it the way they did because it suited the gameplay they wanted. Same as everything else in the game. Simple.

Nov 27, 2004, 03:50
PHJF

Re: How is this Nov 27, 2004, 03:50
Nov 27, 2004, 03:50
 PHJF

It boggles the mind why Valve didn't include bullet physics as it is...

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

How is this "bullet time" when it...
Nov 27, 2004, 03:02
How is this "bullet time" when it... Nov 27, 2004, 03:02
Nov 27, 2004, 03:02

doesn't even slow down bullets! How lame is that. The mod could of at least converted each bullet based weapon to throw a bullet object using the physics engine (remove gravity effect on the bullet objects so they behave the same).

I hate it when people do half-assed work, polish it up people, do the last 1% of the work.

Stop making bullshit mods.

Re: No subject
Nov 27, 2004, 00:30
Re: No subject Nov 27, 2004, 00:30
Nov 27, 2004, 00:30

Have you guys tried shooting a saw blade into a zombie in slow motion? That's worth the dl alone!

"This my finest sword. If in your journey you should encounter God, God will be cut." -Hattori Hanzo ~Kill Bill

Re: mod's fun, but reduces stability
Nov 26, 2004, 23:55
Re: mod's fun, but reduces stability Nov 26, 2004, 23:55
Nov 26, 2004, 23:55

fun to play around with for a few seconds. i'm waiting for cooler mods, which i know are coming.

mod's fun, but reduces stability
Nov 26, 2004, 21:42
mod's fun, but reduces stability Nov 26, 2004, 21:42
Nov 26, 2004, 21:42

it's mostly just a quick hack, but the game tends to wig out and eventually crash back to the desktop if you overuse this, so it's not really worth it atm.
also, since he's pushed up the force applied if you shoot something, barrels go flying with one shot, making them a pain to use to kill people.

still, watching someone die in slow motion is entertaining.

ashridah

Re: poo
Nov 26, 2004, 21:05
Re: poo Nov 26, 2004, 21:05
Nov 26, 2004, 21:05

Yeah, inevitable wait for mods.

Will be awhile before anything decent comes out, too. Takes a ton of time to make a map with the level of geometry that HL 2 can support. Not too mention models.
I eat pasta!
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older