WoW Launches

The World of Warcraft Community Site (thanks Frans) reflects on the launch of Blizzard's highly anticipated MMORPG in North America, Australia, and New Zealand. The update admits to problems created by the rush of new WoW players, and offers some suggestions on how to circumvent launch issues in the short-term as they work "around the clock to ensure we can smooth out this initial rush, and we will be working through Thanksgiving to address the latency issues that players are experiencing."
View : : :
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: No subject
Nov 25, 2004, 22:31
Re: No subject Nov 25, 2004, 22:31
Nov 25, 2004, 22:31

Dagok, wtg! Hypocrisy suits you

Like any word, fanboy depends on the context in which it is used. Blind worship may be a more soothing description for you, but it covers the gist of it.

Exactly how am I being hypocritical? And exactly how am I blindly worshipping anything?

I never said 1 word, pro or con about either EQ2 or WoW. So please show me exactly where I am being hypocritical and where I am blindly worshipping anything. Go back to school and learn reading comprehension, please.

Fact is, I am currently playing both games, and enjoying both games. I'm not going to get into some "my game is better than your game" flamefest with the kiddies on Blues News of all places. I save those conversations with people I actually have some respect for.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com

Re: The main difference between EQ2 and
Nov 25, 2004, 22:22
Re: The main difference between EQ2 and Nov 25, 2004, 22:22
Nov 25, 2004, 22:22

I believe Grimm's post states my feelings a lot better.

Seems a lot of friends are split between WoW and EQ2 right now.

But again, I'm still biased over what Sony did when they took over EQ. Good thing I don't write reviews anymore.

Nov 25, 2004, 22:16
Re: No subject Nov 25, 2004, 22:16
Nov 25, 2004, 22:16

Dagok, wtg! Hypocrisy suits you

Like any word, fanboy depends on the context in which it is used. Blind worship may be a more soothing description for you, but it covers the gist of it.

Speaking of gist, great use of sampling a partial quote and taking it totally out of context to distort it and totally missing the entire meaning of the post in general. “Heed your own advice”? I was. What part of the obviously stressed, multiple use of "FOR ME" did you not understand?

Did you read the part where I spoke of being on both betas? Hot damn, that might mean I have an idea of what the games are like. I'm on a couple other MMO betas right now, too. I suppose I don't know what they are like as well. Now, my view on EQ2 is that it is different than EQ1, obviously, but I said it's still just a time sink... FOR ME. I embellished a bit to make a point, but I was not exactly writing a thesis. You seemed to miss that part, like everything else I posted. I amply stated my bias, as well as inferring that for some people, EQ is the better game... wait for it... FOR THEM.

The button-mashing tangent was pretty comical, though. That's almost as good as using the 'english grammar' tactic to try and change a topic. Perhaps next time you'll go with 'all software is 0's and 1's' ploy.

-

If I remember correctly, weren't you one of the lovely political critics from a couple months back who tried to jump into an argument I was having with someone else? Didn't seem to have facts or anything constructive to say, either.

You have a serious e-penis problem jumping in like that when you had access to the post I was responding to, the ability to re-read my before attacking a more than fair statement of facts and opinion, and quite possibly bringing in some kind of long-standing personal issues.

Read what I wrote, then read your response, especially the last paragraph. Ironically, there should have been some agreement being that the base theme is similar. A lot easier for you to just make an unjustified ad hominem attack?

And on turkey day... for shame.

The main difference between EQ2 and WoW
Nov 25, 2004, 21:34
The main difference between EQ2 and WoW Nov 25, 2004, 21:34
Nov 25, 2004, 21:34

EQ is more centered around large guilds and lots of grouping/interacting with everyone else. The fact they offer something to waive your e-penis at someone else through the online tracking of guild stats turns me off of the game as something I want to play.

WoW is more solo and casual friendly, geared towards PvP towards the end gamee. I also like the fact they went with their own style, instead of trying to be hyper-realistic. EQ comes off a little plastic looking to me.

I had originally bought EQ2 and put about ten hours into it when a friend wanted me to try WoW. So I played on his account and decided to go with that one. EQ2 never made it out of the first free month period.

I think the conflict while each one of these games are in the same genre, they really do appeal to different crowds.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 21:37.

Nov 25, 2004, 21:31
Re: No subject Nov 25, 2004, 21:31
Nov 25, 2004, 21:31

I was almost going to give EQ2 a chance (after learning to loathe Sony with EQ, then forgive them a bit with Planetside and then got bored and went back to loathing.) until I heard about that HO crap. Sounds like something from a Japanese RPG. Oh...

But I'm about ready to give up on WOW after 3 or 4 weeks in the European Beta. In which time without playing obssessively (chance would be a fine thing) I've got a warrior to 28 and 4 other chars to their mid teens. I really like everything they've done and the pace is about right for me but I've seen it all before and it's just not different enough to hold my attention. Sure, the combat is a button mash but what do you expect? Somebody here described it as like playing a CRPG but in a MMORPG enviroment and I think that's a good enough description. If you've never gone MM you'll have fun with it. And I mean if you can get over paying for it I just can't see how you won't enjoy WOW, for however long.

Nov 25, 2004, 21:26
Re: No subject Nov 25, 2004, 21:26
Nov 25, 2004, 21:26

Ah, I love it when fanbois speak.

As I've said in another thread...the word "fanboi" is only used by assholes and idiots because they can't accept the fact that different people like different things. This has been proved yet again by Instant, grats to you. I should start a list called "fanboi fucktards" in my sig and add anyone to it who uses the word.

Mashing the same buttons is all WoW is? Here's EQ: Hi, I'm a cleric. Casting heal in 5...4...3..2..1.. NEXTEHEALER GO! Hi, I'm a warrior. Taunt. Taunt. Taunt. Taunt. Hi, I'm a shammy. Slow. Slow. Slow. Partial slow. The statement about strategy and mobs being nothing than a different graphic, is as asinine.

You describe Everquest, NOT Everquest 2. Do not confuse the two, and do not use the original Everquests ailments to back up a freaking arguement about EQ2 because EQ and EQ2 combat systems are quite different.

Mashing the same buttons is all WoW is?

Actually yes, thats all it is, that's all any game is. Pressing buttons on a keyboard and mouse. Some games may even let you speak to other people through a microphone.

So please stop trying to convert people to your particular digital jesus.

Heed your own advice.

Bottomline is, these are both excellent games, pick one...or both, and STFU. Do I care that you think EQ2 sucks and WoW is the shit? No. Do I care that you think WoW sucks and EQ2 is the shit? No. If you cannot discuss the differences between one game and another without being a stereotypical pimply faced whiney brat, then do us all a favor and just don't say anything.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com

Nov 25, 2004, 20:25
Re: No subject Nov 25, 2004, 20:25
Nov 25, 2004, 20:25

Hi, I'm Zurra's blatant EQ slant....

Anyway, I beta'd both. EQ2 is a prettier time sink with a hefty requirement in keeping up with the Jones'. My personal opinion is WoW is the better game, focus now,---- FOR ME.

I can bounce in and out of WoW, grouped or solo, without much of a problem. No worries about going on a project or trip for a week, it won't irrevocably hurt my game or force me to 'catch up' to friends. There's no grinding in WoW unless you honestly like doing it. All the annoying shit like tradeskill gathering, failing, endless attempts to raise skill are gone. Simple built in loot rules are a plus; great auctioning system. Skills and spells are simple and action is always fast paced. Downtime is a bare minimum. Racial PVP is a nice bonus. the game is fun, it's not a second job.

Mashing the same buttons is all WoW is? Here's EQ: Hi, I'm a cleric. Casting heal in 5...4...3..2..1.. NEXTEHEALER GO! Hi, I'm a warrior. Taunt. Taunt. Taunt. Taunt. Hi, I'm a shammy. Slow. Slow. Slow. Partial slow. The statement about strategy and mobs being nothing than a different graphic, is as asinine.

Oh, and the graphics. I take issue with some of the character/armor models in EQ2. Otherwise, the graphical part of the engine looks just fine, if you have the rig for it. WoW has a modest system requirement and keeps true to the look and feel of the warcraft genre that helped give birth to this game. Inferring that the worth of a player depends on the power of their system is stupid and shows some serious e-penis issues.

Ill will for what Sony did to EQ when they took over aside, these are both MMOs, but are vastly different. Be it time requirements, depth, what have you. There isn't much to compare these games on except for how much fun you have which is subjective. No matter what you say about EQ2, WoW is still the better game... one more time... FOR ME!!!!!!

So please stop trying to convert people to your particular digital jesus. Say what you like about it and all, just don’t present your opinion saw fact if law.

Oh, and I'm still not playing either =)

Nov 25, 2004, 20:00
Re: No subject Nov 25, 2004, 20:00
Nov 25, 2004, 20:00

You have to admit that the HO crap that was described sounds pretty lame.

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
The mayor of your hearts <3<3<3<3<3
ExcessDan

Nov 25, 2004, 18:57
Re: No subject Nov 25, 2004, 18:57
Nov 25, 2004, 18:57

"That is not tactics, that is just using a combination of moves with others. You watch the little "HO" wheel and press the blinking button. "

Its alot more complicated then your precious WoW, seriously man just stop posting, your arguements are so fucking retarded.

Both games have their ups and downs, WoW and EQ2 are both new generation MMO's, and they both accomplish what they should in their own respect. I cant even believe you go with this "tactics" arguement, as EQ2 has just as much, and with HO's, even more involvement during battles then WoW does. Why would you even say this, it just makes it more apparent that EQ2's battle system is more involved then WoW's...WoW has skills, individual skills, and thats it...EQ2 makes it a group effort and ties those skills together, theres no way to argue this, EQ2 wins hands down.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 19:00.

Nov 25, 2004, 18:30
Re: No subject Nov 25, 2004, 18:30
Nov 25, 2004, 18:30

Yo Mayor Dan,

The Doom3 vs HL2 debate is officially over and HL2 has won in a landslide.
AMD 2500 Mobile 210FSB 2000mhz
ATI 9500 Pro
1GB PC3200

Nov 25, 2004, 18:03
Re: No subject Nov 25, 2004, 18:03
Nov 25, 2004, 18:03

I haven't checked out HL2 yet. I really hope it's better than Doom 3.

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
ExcessDan

Nov 25, 2004, 17:52
Re: No subject Nov 25, 2004, 17:52
Nov 25, 2004, 17:52

Much for the same reason every Doom3 3 thread became a Doom 3 vs HL2 thread I guess.

No subject
Nov 25, 2004, 17:46
No subject Nov 25, 2004, 17:46
Nov 25, 2004, 17:46

Why does every WoW thread turn into an EQ2 vs WoW thread?

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
ExcessDan

Nov 25, 2004, 17:00
Re: No subject Nov 25, 2004, 17:00
Nov 25, 2004, 17:00

That is not tactics, that is just using a combination of moves with others. You watch the little "HO" wheel and press the blinking button.

No subject
Nov 25, 2004, 16:48
No subject Nov 25, 2004, 16:48
Nov 25, 2004, 16:48

The tactics are the HO system, for instance, Fighter initiates, priest follows, then mage goes next, if done correctly priest will open back up, and pass it back to mage, then mage finishes the whole chain. If done correctly it turns into a 4 person chain that does a massive amount of damage to the mob.

Theres alot of these HO's in place, I'll post a few more:

Strength in Unity - unordered - Flexed Arm + Chalice - Increases str, wis, int and agility of the party

Ancient Crusible - Moon = full (or nearly full) power and health regen over time.

Swindler's Gift - ordered - Cloak + Flexed Arm = Group Attack Buff, increases all skill dmg for a short period of time.

BTW EQ2 has had a smooth launch, it has its fair share of bugs in game, like mobs that like to dissapear when utilizing the Z-axis, but nothing game-stopping.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 16:50.

Re: The truth about WoW
Nov 25, 2004, 16:44
Re: The truth about WoW Nov 25, 2004, 16:44
Nov 25, 2004, 16:44

"I have not experienced one bug yet with EQ2, which is damn impressive for a brand new MMO especially given it is easily the most complicated MMO ever released, "
--

Ah, I love it when fanbois speak.

Tell us more, I beseech thee.

Re: Sheesh
Nov 25, 2004, 16:36
Re: Sheesh Nov 25, 2004, 16:36
Nov 25, 2004, 16:36

#24 Nothing do to with hating SOE but more with the bullshit Zurra is posting. I could almost believe he was a market-droid working for SOE with that simplified and over-rejoicing EQ2 posting of his.

Edit: It does not matter which game can push the most shaders, pixels or textures when the entire game feels 'wrong' because of it. EQ2 feels like a bunch of stuff thrown together into a mix, take the chat system from SWG, the console feel from AC2, the grind from EQ1 and carebearize it, and you have EQ2.

Saying the quests in EQ2 are so much better than those in WoW? Thats utter bullshit. "EQ2s quest send you out into th world", YEa, you get to ZONE! Something you hardly do in WoW unless you enter a instanced dungeon, and run around dodging "scowls at you ready to attack" mobs while trying to find a non-descript building with a npc inside.. and then you run to another location. Well, if you want to run long distances to talk to someone there are many of those quests in WoW as well - but you have a lot easier time finding the people you are looking for, not to mention you dont run around in a dead landscape with a bunch of Grouped NPCs with two Arrows in their name (Arrows indicate that they are really more difficult than what your con says - so you need a group) cluttered around locations that they do not "fit" into at all.

Both games have fed-ex quests, kill quests and collection quests. In EQ2 you can have 50 of those damn quests at one time, disorganized in your quest-helper, in WoW you can have 20 quests at one time. Doing a lot of quests in both games I had a lot easier time doing the quests in WoW and also finding out what I was supposed to do, and where.

Edit2: Hey, how about telling us how much better the CHAT system and the EMOTES system in EQ2 is as well.. I'm dying to hear it.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 16:47.

Sheesh
Nov 25, 2004, 16:34
Sheesh Nov 25, 2004, 16:34
Nov 25, 2004, 16:34

The SOE haters really come out on Thanksgiving, don't they?

No subject
Nov 25, 2004, 16:31
No subject Nov 25, 2004, 16:31
Nov 25, 2004, 16:31

EQ2 has 'tactics' involved in combat?
What a load of bullshit that is.

No subject
Nov 25, 2004, 16:20
No subject Nov 25, 2004, 16:20
Nov 25, 2004, 16:20

Zura,

WoW > EQ2.

I have also played both extensively. EQ2 is better than EQ1 - True, but its still a grind where solo play is impossible and death is inevitable. EQ2 feels like a bunch of features just throwd together, and does not have the same feel WoW has when it comes to a 'complete believable fantasy world'.

The graphics in EQ2 may look good when you are taking screenshots, but when you play EQ2 and when you play WoW it becomes quite apparent which game has had more 'thought' put into it - and that is WoW. Eq2 may have all the shadows, shaders and water ripples it want, but the graphics still look like an 'artificial' shroud they attempt to impress you with so you dont see how poor the game really is. The graphics in WoW however, may look cartoony, but the quality of everything they have made in the gameworld sucks you into the fantasy and enriches the game experience. Not to mention that you need *really* heavy horsepower to even begin to use the "very high details" and features in EQ2. Summary : Best Screenshots = EQ2, Best game-feel with graphics = WOW.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 16:35.
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older