Half-Life 2 w/o CD or DVD

The Steam Users Forums offers a solution for owners of the boxed retail version of Half-Life 2 who are vexed that they are required to have the game CD or DVD in a drive to run the game. Once you register your key through Steam, you can also download the game through the broadband delivery service, after which the game can be played without the disk present.
View : : :
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
Nov 23, 2004, 11:40
Re: No subject Nov 23, 2004, 11:40
Nov 23, 2004, 11:40

So someone rings you up, you give them your card (for them to swipe or manually enter), and then they have you key your PIN in? That's wild...
Yeah they have a keypad the size of a big calculator, the card goes in the top, it beeps, you put in your PIN, it validates it (or not :o) and all's well that ends well.

Nov 21, 2004, 14:50
nin

Re: No subject Nov 21, 2004, 14:50
Nov 21, 2004, 14:50
 nin

Increasingly, CCs in Europe are PIN rather than signature. In places like France (which invented PIN-at-purchase) it's widespread, here in the UK it's taking off, both for debit and credit cards.

So someone rings you up, you give them your card (for them to swipe or manually enter), and then they have you key your PIN in? That's wild...

Like your sig BTW!

http://tds.nin.com/

Nov 21, 2004, 05:05
Re: No subject Nov 21, 2004, 05:05
Nov 21, 2004, 05:05

Increasingly, CCs in Europe are PIN rather than signature. In places like France (which invented PIN-at-purchase) it's widespread, here in the UK it's taking off, both for debit and credit cards.

Nov 20, 2004, 18:14
Re: No subject Nov 20, 2004, 18:14
Nov 20, 2004, 18:14

...can't you just use it as a credit card for buying HL2 through Steam?

Yes.

Unless you or the retailer specify for it to go as debit, there is a decreased charge for using debit, it will act like a credit card.

Go a multi-function terminal.

Buy something and use your card as a debit card.

Intentionally input the wrong PIN.

Now use the same card as a credit card.

VOILA!

Debit = PIN = Able to get cash back at purchase = Quicker processing = Harder to fight fraud.

Credit = Signature = Usually only able to get cash via ATM as s00p3r high interest rate = Slower processing = Easier to claim fraud.

Ideally, you should check IDs for either type, but that is really uncommon. Even less common, barring online purchases, is the...I forgot the abbreviation...the three or four digit security code found on the back of your card, at the very end of your account numbers.

I still have my original box of checks from Bank of America, yet I have gone through numerous check registers due to all the debit card transactions I make. In fact, the only issue I have is places that still use cash. Even then, I just plan ahead with my debit transactions and ask for cash back.

Edit: In defense of all the technology-haters, there is a good minority of people that have only ATM cards and not debit cards.

Wishing people did not fear technology ;P,
Ray Debit card king!

-----
Half-Life 2: All that and a bag of chips!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Nov 20, 18:21.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Nov 20, 2004, 12:15
Re: No subject Nov 20, 2004, 12:15
Nov 20, 2004, 12:15

It's mostly cash or PIN. Or course, most (if not all) restaurants take credit cards, and you can use a credit card at a lot of places...but most younger people (under 30) just use cash or PIN. But for most shopping (unless you wanna get something off'f internet from the US), the cc is going the way of the cheque.

Just to clarify, what's a PIN? To those in the US, it's a number you enter to validate a purchase with a debit card (pulls $$$ directly from your checking account). Almost all of these also function as a VISA/MC, meaning it's also a credit card-type purchase transaction. Is this similar to a PIN, and if so, can't you just use it as a credit card for buying HL2 through Steam?

* Warhawk *

Werewolf?
There.
What?
There wolf. There castle.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Nov 20, 2004, 11:12
Re: No subject Nov 20, 2004, 11:12
Nov 20, 2004, 11:12

It's mostly cash or PIN. Or course, most (if not all) restaurants take credit cards, and you can use a credit card at a lot of places...but most younger people (under 30) just use cash or PIN. But for most shopping (unless you wanna get something off'f internet from the US), the cc is going the way of the cheque.

Re: Cheaters are going to ruin this game
Nov 20, 2004, 10:33
Re: Cheaters are going to ruin this game Nov 20, 2004, 10:33
Nov 20, 2004, 10:33

Now, I know you can burn out the big cache file that you download, but is that the only way to make a backup of things you do download?

I have a second HD in my machine (80 GB vs. my 120 GB C:) solely for backup purposes - no raid, nothing fancy, just a drive to copy my digital photos, downloads, etc to.

I doubt that both drives will ever die at the same time, but I do back up the most important stuff to CD as well, especially the photos.

* Warhawk *

Werewolf?
There.
What?

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Re: Cheaters are going to ruin this game
Nov 20, 2004, 10:28
Re: Cheaters are going to ruin this game Nov 20, 2004, 10:28
Nov 20, 2004, 10:28

I agree with nin. I never used steam before the day prior to HL2's release, and I am wholeheartedly in support of it. Now, I know you can burn out the big cache file that you download, but is that the only way to make a backup of things you do download? Otherwise, yeah, I can just log into steam again and re-download everything.
And at 5MB/s? Yeah, I can deal with that.

Nov 20, 2004, 10:22
Re: No subject Nov 20, 2004, 10:22
Nov 20, 2004, 10:22

As Moonbender says, crdeit cards just aren't that common (or at least as common) in europe as they are in the US (where every twelve year old has one, or so it seems).

OK, please answer the stupid question I have: credit cards just aren't that common (or at least as common) in europe as they are in the US?

How do y'all buy stuff? Check? The barter system? Carry wads of cash to the local BB for that new widescreen TV? I was there in '89 - didn't recall CC being banned or anything...

* Warhawk *

Werewolf?
There.
What?

No subject
Nov 20, 2004, 09:55
No subject Nov 20, 2004, 09:55
Nov 20, 2004, 09:55

As Moonbender says, crdeit cards just aren't that common (or at least as common) in europe as they are in the US (where every twelve year old has one, or so it seems).

Which is my problem too...I have fast broadband, but no credit card. And I really can't be bothered to get one just to buy one game. So I have no choice but to get the retailstore version and still have to do both the Steam verification and cd-in-drive thing. Dumb-ass publishers....upping the price of games with copy-protection which doesn't work. I just don't get it.
They always say it's to prevent 'casual priacy', because they know any game will be available illegally the day it goes retail...but I'd say that casual piracy (which they define as a not-so-computer-literate someone getting a copy from a not-so-computer-literate friend) happens to such a small extent that copyprotection just isn't worth the extra cost.
Maybe it's time to buy some shares in those publishers and complain of financial negligence at one of their shareholders meetings?

Nov 20, 2004, 09:03
Re: No subject Nov 20, 2004, 09:03
Nov 20, 2004, 09:03

I wanted to buy the game on Steam, I even went as far as to borrow a credit card (they're not all that common here in Germany) - but then the game arrived at the same time and was considerably cheaper in stores, which really makes no sense at all. I had hoped to use the CD key to unlock the preloaded copy already on my computer, but no luck, still needed the DVD. Bah.

Maybe next time around they increase the number of payment options available to continental European customers - as many MMORPGs have done - and make sure that their Steam offering is, if not cheaper, at least available for the same money as the boxed game. They will have to if they want my money.

No subject
Nov 20, 2004, 08:38
f13
No subject Nov 20, 2004, 08:38
Nov 20, 2004, 08:38
f13

er what happens with the people who bought the game on retail stores and don't have internet? they can't play the game!?

Re:
Nov 20, 2004, 06:35
Re: Nov 20, 2004, 06:35
Nov 20, 2004, 06:35

With basic broadband cable from NTL in the UK I think the cap is (or is going to be very soon) 5Gb per month.
Think of the poor souls on BT, 1Gb a month! Personally I'm on Telewest where there is absolutely no download cap whatsoever. I wouldn't sign up to an ISP that did, there's no reason for it and it's just cheapskate. Grr @ BT

HL1 originally needed CD too
Nov 20, 2004, 06:24
HL1 originally needed CD too Nov 20, 2004, 06:24
Nov 20, 2004, 06:24

As I recall, the original Half-Life needed the CD in the drive as well, until some patchlevel that removed the check. Perhaps the same will happen with HL2? It does seem ridiculous to have both Online Check & Disk Check.

Re: CD needed
Nov 20, 2004, 06:20
Re: CD needed Nov 20, 2004, 06:20
Nov 20, 2004, 06:20

Guess I made the right choice after all. Steam online order, preload and installation worked flawlessly.

I can even burn my own custom backup DVDs legally without any copy protection

Same here... I Must be a lucky one, because I haven't had any problems at all via preload before activaction.

Anyway things should run smoother from now on for every user as the Steam network is less overloaded. Who cares about some hours of annoyances in an amazing game that will last for years

CD needed
Nov 20, 2004, 05:05
CD needed Nov 20, 2004, 05:05
Nov 20, 2004, 05:05

Guess I made the right choice after all. Steam online order, preload and installation worked flawlessly.

I can even burn my own custom backup DVDs legally without any copy protection

Re:
Nov 20, 2004, 04:51
Re: Nov 20, 2004, 04:51
Nov 20, 2004, 04:51

I have a download limit with my isp and surely I'm not the only one....

With basic broadband cable from NTL in the UK I think the cap is (or is going to be very soon) 5Gb per month. Which could be eaten up fairly quickly as installs get bigger. And god help you if you're beta-testing WOW.

Re:
Nov 20, 2004, 04:08
Re: Nov 20, 2004, 04:08
Nov 20, 2004, 04:08

I'm with nin. No problems at all with steam and if they allowed preloading, I'd be in like flynn.

The problem I have with this suggested solution here is, they're asking you to download around 838mb, according to my local game content. I have a download limit with my isp and surely I'm not the only one.... so the solution is stupid in my eyes, not the problem. As stated, almost every game I have requires the CD, except for UT2K4, Q3 and some I bought the kids from Real Networks. There maybe others, but they're the ones I play most and spring to mind.

I have a license to drive, too.... but the law here still requires me to have it in my possession when exercising my right to drive. Get over it;P

Re: Doesn't work
Nov 20, 2004, 03:47
Re: Doesn't work Nov 20, 2004, 03:47
Nov 20, 2004, 03:47

Quite what the problem with keeping the DVD in the drive is beyond me... it's not like it's an effort to keep the DVD in a safe place and put it in when you want to play. It takes all of 5 seconds.

Re: Doesn't work
Nov 20, 2004, 02:59
Re: Doesn't work Nov 20, 2004, 02:59
Nov 20, 2004, 02:59

#7, well said. I'm definitely going Steam for this one when I get home. Publisher CD checks can kiss my ass.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 03:00.
Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older