Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Wow, I have to say, I am pretty damn blown away by how incredible Half-Life 2 is.... The only thing more impressive than turning out such an effort is doing so after managing to do so much to raise expectations in advance. Just.... wow.

Link of the Day: WeAreHappyToServeYou.com. Thanks Devicer. It's a cookbook!
Stories of the Day: Stoplight to punish suburban speeders.
Pennies pay off when Ohio collector cashes in. Thanks zombie69.
Nearly 800,000 Bowflex machines recalled.
Science!: AntiGrav Not Exactly Uplifting. What a downer.
Crunch! Oof! Well, That's Physics (registration required).
Leonid meteor shower to light up night sky.
Follow-ups: Rocket plane breaks airspeed record.
Europe Mission to Moon Called Success.
Across America, low and slow.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
108 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

28. Re: Wow. Nov 17, 2004, 11:21 changingman

I think I'm about halfway through the SP, and it's been phenomenal. There's so much in there that I wasn't expecting that I'm constantly in awe - the glass shattering caught me by surprise, it looks fantastic.
But CS:S has been very disappointing. It feels half-finished, and is just a terrible experience. The whole randomness of whether a bullet will actually end up anywhere near your crosshair makes it a frustrating experience, and you have to listen to what sounds like someone imitating the noise of the gun with stuff they found in their kitchen. How masochistic do you have to be to endure that game?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: HL2 in Toronto Nov 17, 2004, 11:13 Zathrus

and NO I won't buy a Steaming Pile of #($5 copy

I presume you mean you won't buy off Steam.

Why?

If you're not on broadband, ok, yeah, that's a good reason. Otherwise it doesn't make sense now that we know what's in the box. You don't get a manual, you don't get jewel cases, you don't get jack. A cardboard box, a couple pieces of paper that will go into the trash (unless you like spam), and CDs in paper sleeves. You can't play without installing Steam and decrypting the game either. And if, in a few years, Valve goes tits up and Steam vanishes then the retail copy will be of no more use than a downloaded copy that you backed up to CD/DVD (which Steam now explicitly lets you do).

I'm betting that most people who bought retail are wishing, in retrospect, that they hadn't bothered. I know I'm in that group. What's the advantage to buying retail? Nada.

Either Valve was damn smart in their packaging or Vivendi was abysmally stupid. The lack of manual or anything else in the retail box means there's absolutely no reason not to buy it via Steam.

26. Re: Wow. Nov 17, 2004, 11:11 OsinO

Wow, this is the first time I've seen everybody uniformly agreeing that a game is really good on this forum - that says a lot..

25. Re: Wow. Nov 17, 2004, 11:00 banddirector

I'm supposed to wait until Christmas for this, but all these positive comments are driving me crazy! Must wait, must wait ....

I bet you money George B has already called Gabe about an engine change.

LOL!

------------------------------------------------
Be sure to spread your goop

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

24. HL2 in Toronto Nov 17, 2004, 10:55 Dr.Del

I drove around all morning after a crazy nightshift and was unable to locate a copy of HL2... not that they were sold out but rather the boxes haven't even been delivered!

Any Torontonians know of a Best Buy/Future Shop that is selling the game?

(and NO I won't buy a Steaming Pile of #($5 copy

- Dr.Del

- DrDel

23. Damn, I feel stupid. Nov 17, 2004, 10:43 Zathrus

Pre-ordered HL2 from GameStop w/ free next day shipping. Got the shipping notice yesterday, so I figured I'd have it today. Go to look at the tracking info for it.

Call home... yup. It's been on our front porch since yesterday at about 1pm.

That's what I get for not reading the email carefully and not checking the tracking.

Oh well. I'll get to play an hour-ish tonight. Damn Valve for releasing the week before Thanksgiving -- we have relatives coming over!

22. Re: HL2 Nov 17, 2004, 10:37 Gandhi

For the folks having stuttering problems, try lowering your texture detail from High to Low. Also, lower the water effects to the middle rung if the first does not solve your problem.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

21. Re: HL2 Nov 17, 2004, 10:34 eDave

Anyone else think that in the half-life 2 movie Barney should be played by Matthew Broderick?

Ha! I thought the EXACT same thing! Too funny.

Getting the sound stuttering too.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 10:39.

20. Re: Wow. Nov 17, 2004, 10:31 Replevin

Agreed. The best game I've ever played. The dynamics of combat are so well done. Weapons are so satisfying. Still early in the game and I have just the 9mm handgun and just got an SMG. Usually, (even in HL) the basic pistol is so lame, but this thing is a real weapon. And explosions are so f'n kick ass. The way stuff actually explodes with just an amazing velocity. Wow. Like real life. Two things to keep gamers happy. Guns. Explosions. The other thing I really like is how you are outdoors....running for your f'n life. Again, I'm not that far into the game, but there is a feeling of being chased and a certain tension that comes with it. Usually in FPSs, you get that "open door" - "clear room" - "move to next area" sort of action (maybe I've been playing too much Doom3). Usually, I will clear an entire area, gather up all the guns and ammo, and then methodically move along. With this game (so far), I'm just running, trying to stay ahead of the wolves. And there are so many dudes after you, that I don't have time to always pick up everything or go look in every corner. There seems to always be another cop about to cap your ass. Brilliant.

The only steam problems I had (pre-loaded ages ago) was last night when I couldn't seem to play in offline mode. So I just fired up dsl and things connected (although it couldn't seem to remember my pw). I'm sorry so many people have been having problems.

Edit: saw msgs on offline mode. That didn't work for me (i.e., dialogue box for offline mode). Definitely something up because I've been using steam offline playing OpFor. When I try and use offline, it tells me that it is not available (for anything) and just won't start.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 10:36.

19. Re: Wow. Nov 17, 2004, 10:27 Gandhi

Well, I stopped playing when I got to a point where I got stuck. Will go home tonight and see if there is some other way around - usually is. I am in the room full of exploding barrels, with what looks like a sewer opening below, but the water levels too low for me to climb up in to the sewer.

Oh well. This game is cutting in to my study time, even though I promised myself I would not play until after the final exams are over. Well, there goes my already pitiful GPA.

Complaints - I still hate the long load times, but they are not as bad now as they initially seemd.

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

18. Re: Wow. Nov 17, 2004, 10:03 Nimh

The game is simply amazing. I feel a need to make a pilgrimage to Valve for some odd reason.

17. Re: HL2 Nov 17, 2004, 10:01 AirWreck

Also, I am on broadband, always connected, and I have left steam running, as yesterday I had issues connecting and have been afraid to log out and not be able to get back in. Do you really have to be online every time to startup HL2?

Yes I've had that exact same problem. I thought there was an offline mode where you would never need to get online after you unlocked the game (except for patches). Anyone know anything about this?

Edit: Well I guess that was just answered by Sixis, but yesterday when I couldn't get onto steam the offline mode was not an option.

Anyone else think that in the half-life 2 movie Barney should be played by Matthew Broderick?

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 10:09.

16. Re: Wow. Nov 17, 2004, 09:54 Sixis

Having completed the game (damn those turret sequences!) I feel like our resident HL2 expert and can answer questions. First off, if ONLY Gman's voice and animation seems to stutter, that's intentional....Gman has...personal issues. If the other characters do it, then you are in trouble. (/me switches to infatuated tone) Alyx has a beautiful voice...

For logging in offline, here's the proceedure:

Start Steam, waiting until it tells us it can't log on. There' a checkbox for play in offline mode in that dialog box, check it and click ok, then go to Half-Life 2. Now make a desktop shortcut to the game by dragging its icon on the Play games box to the desktop. Close steam, double click the shortcut you just made. Voila!

Finally, This is definitely the game that I'm going to learn how to make machinema with. I'm think a Casablanca starring Alyx and Barney, with the crazy priest as comic relief...oh boy I'm excited!

But now I have to play Bloodlines! I NEED MORE TIME DAMNIT, AND THIS IGNORING HALO2 AND GTA:SA!!!!!!!!!AND THE NEW GAMEBOY AND METROID GAMES!!!! AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!

15. Re: HL2 Nov 17, 2004, 09:30 nin

Blue, did you use steam to buy or retail?
Or are you a freak like nin and Ray and did both?

I would ask you to address me as SUPERfreak, but alas, I'm not "a very kinky girl, the kind you don't home to muth-tha!".

Note to self: Need Rick James album (bitch).

edit: And I'm pretty sure Ray's not either!

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk
This comment was edited on Nov 17, 09:32.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

14. Re: Desktop Shortcut Nov 17, 2004, 09:28 Enahs

Just right-click on HL2 in your games list and select Create Desktop shortcut.

I am a blind tard!

_____
Enahs
Thatís a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

13. Re: Wow. Nov 17, 2004, 09:25 nin

Term:
Nin, the sound issue is widespread and already being reported on all HL-related boards. It also seems to be independent from ones sysspecs so I hope Valve will patch that soon.

I was hoping you'd say that. I've got a Turtle Beach and a friend has a Live card, so I was guessing it wasn't just us. Thanks!

Thanks to J-Bird, also...may try those tonight.

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

12. Re: Wow. Nov 17, 2004, 09:23 BicycleRepairMan

Just.... wow
I'm just speechless, the way you can just improvise combat as you go, and then seeing the AI do the same.. like when you are low on health, it just helps you get creative awesome.

Also, I just realised how grenade just makes the AI seem better in games, Like in HL and HL2 where enemies actively use them to flush you out, which effectivly ends the fantasicly boring "look around the corner and shoot the arm"-tactics you are somtimes encouraged to do in other games. Anyways, been playing for hours , time for some food.

November 16, here I come.

11. Desktop Shortcut Nov 17, 2004, 09:22 J-Bird

Just right-click on HL2 in your games list and select Create Desktop shortcut.

10. Stuttering issues Nov 17, 2004, 09:21 J-Bird

There seem to be a lot of people with stuttering issues. It's all over many boards. Someone in halflife2.net posted this from someone at Valve:

Set snd_async_fullyasync 1
Reset snd_async_fullyasync 0 to turn it back off.

This may cause issues with voice synchronization, but should also reduce the stuttering.

We're looking into the problem, but it would help to know if this
solves it for you.

Thanks,
Rick (Rick Ellis, Valve Software, Senior Engineering Lead)
Valve

also

If you're still getting sound stuttering, or popping, or static after the above (which should help with HD pauses, but not the sound
pauses), then change the following setting in config.cfg - eliminated
sound stuttering completely for me.

snd_mixahead is originally set to "0.1"

Change it to a higher number - the number will vary by PC, but for me it was:

snd_mixahead "0.4"

That'll fix it - if it doesn't, set the number higher. If you set it lower than the default setting, the popping/stuttering gets much worse.

I'm at work and only saw these suggestions this morning, so i can't confirm that it works, but good luck.

9. Re: HL2 Nov 17, 2004, 09:19 Enahs

Can you create a desktop shortcut so you do not have to go through 5 clicks in steam to play HL2? That is the most annoying part.

Also, I am on broadband, always connected, and I have left steam running, as yesterday I had issues connecting and have been afraid to log out and not be able to get back in. Do you really have to be online every time to startup HL2?

Blue, did you use steam to buy or retail?
Or are you a freak like nin and Ray and did both?

_____
Enahs
Thatís a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

108 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo