Spaceships Ahoy - Space Interceptor: Project Freedom

Merscom announces that Space Interceptor: Project Freedom, CITY Interactive's arcade space game, is now available in North America:
CHAPELL HILL, NC - November 9, 2004 – Merscom LLC today announced "Space Interceptor: Project Freedom" for PC has shipped to retail across North America. This high-quality space combat arcade-style game, with its dazzling visuals and straight-ahead action gameplay, raises the bar for "value-priced" games. Published by Merscom, "Space Interceptor: Project Freedom" was developed by CITY Interactive and is distributed to retailers by Atari. The game is rated "T" for Teen by the ESRB for Mild Language and Violence and retails for $19.99 (USD).

"This game is just flat-out fun to play," said Merscom Director, Lloyd Melnick. "If you’re ready to be the hero at the helm of a heavily armed fighter ship, firing missiles, torpedoes, and more as you blaze through enemy fleets, tumbling asteroid fields, and snaking planet-side canyons, then this is the game for you."

"Space Interceptor: Project Freedom" orbits you into the third millennium, where Earth's mega-corporations, having exhausted all natural resources, now colonize the solar system. As a space fighter pilot contracted by one of the few remaining "good guys", a company called Project Freedom, you must battle their ruthless competition in the lawless new frontier of outer space. With its eye-popping settings, the game’s production value belies its budget price. Actual recorded space data was used to create an intensely realistic experience as your missions take you through beautifully rendered settings such as the asteroid belt, Jupiter's moons, and a faraway galaxy.

For more information, visit www.SpaceInterceptor.com.
View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

No subject
Nov 10, 2004, 01:20
No subject Nov 10, 2004, 01:20
Nov 10, 2004, 01:20

The demo was fairly fun and looked nice; not a bad arcade-style shooter.

No subject
Nov 9, 2004, 17:22
No subject Nov 9, 2004, 17:22
Nov 9, 2004, 17:22

I tried the demo. It is pretty, but I am having a joystick issue. No matter what I do the throttle works backwards (Saitek X45). It's really hard to get used to pulling back on the throttle to go faster. If I can get that sorted out I might buy this one. It is a budget title, so it isn't like it would be a huge investment.

Re: No subject
Nov 9, 2004, 16:22
Re: No subject Nov 9, 2004, 16:22
Nov 9, 2004, 16:22

Well, has anyone actually downloaded and tried the demo before commenting?
I just finished the 1 level demo and enjoyed it.
Yes there are air to air / space to space rocket (and anime style too, 8 rocket bursts) in addition to air to ground and some plasma thing I didn't use properly.
I played it with a mouse and it's fast, but don't think it a simulator, you do'nt lead the target much, and you shoot just about everything. If it's a cheap game I'll be getting it, if not, there's better out there.

No subject
Nov 9, 2004, 15:48
No subject Nov 9, 2004, 15:48
Nov 9, 2004, 15:48

nerds?? on a video game website?? posting comments???

NOOOOO!!! how could that be!!

"When the bomb drops it'll be a bank holiday
Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Re: funny thing...
Nov 9, 2004, 15:17
Re: funny thing... Nov 9, 2004, 15:17
Nov 9, 2004, 15:17

...and mate.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
StateOfGaming.org Coming Soon
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Nov 9, 2004, 14:04
Re: funny thing... Nov 9, 2004, 14:04
Nov 9, 2004, 14:04

You could still Space to Ground, like a Planet Killer... may I insert the Obligatory Star Trek reference here and remind people of the Genesis Device.. (KHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN) or when people have bombard planets with Photon Torpedoes..

Nerd check.

Nov 9, 2004, 13:58
Re: funny thing... Nov 9, 2004, 13:58
Nov 9, 2004, 13:58

I am willing to try this one out (the try before buy techniquie), but one funny thing I noticed, one of the screenshots in the lower right hand corner has a weapon selector, and it shows...no shit...."Air-to-Air" weapons. Well, aren't all of the weapons in a space sim "air to air".

Technically speaking, If the "Space Fighter" is equipped with SCRAM Jets it would be possible for it to fly in the atmosphere of a planet thus using Air to Air weaponry vs calling them Space to Space which might somehow denote some sort of wormhole/spacial physics at work here, but no, not all weapons in space are Air to Air, You could still Space to Ground, like a Planet Killer... may I insert the Obligatory Star Trek reference here and remind people of the Genesis Device.. (KHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN) or when people have bombard planets with Photon Torpedoes.. Ok, enough of my rant... to answer your question Batman, No.

/hahahaha

Nov 9, 2004, 13:18
Re: funny thing... Nov 9, 2004, 13:18
Nov 9, 2004, 13:18

I am willing to try this one out (the try before buy techniquie)

Which technique is that? The one where you download the demo?

This space is available for rent

Nov 9, 2004, 13:11
Re: funny thing... Nov 9, 2004, 13:11
Nov 9, 2004, 13:11

Well, aren't all of the weapons in a space sim "air to air".
Technically, that would be space to space.

I think Jim's got the right of it (though I've not played so can't be sure). If you notice, in some of the screenshots they're flying around right near the surface of the planet. That's where you'd need air to air I'd guess. Not that they'd be much different from those used in space, but that's besides the point.

Edit: Except of course for the fact that in the screenshot you pointed out, they ARE in fact using them in space. Maybe it's to differentiate from ground attack weapons? Who knows...

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 13:14.

Nov 9, 2004, 13:03
Jim
Re: funny thing... Nov 9, 2004, 13:03
Nov 9, 2004, 13:03
Jim

Well, aren't all of the weapons in a space sim "air to air".

Technically, that would be space to space. I guess you could also have space to air (shoot down ships or targets in a planet's atmosphere), air to space (use planes to shoot down satellites), ground to space, space to ground, etc. What would make it interesting would be to incorporate submarine warfare, so you could launch an anti-satellite missile from a sub, and have submarine to space weapons. Then the satellites or space ships could have anti-submarine munitions, space to submarine.

Jim

funny thing...
Nov 9, 2004, 12:58
funny thing... Nov 9, 2004, 12:58
Nov 9, 2004, 12:58

I am willing to try this one out (the try before buy techniquie), but one funny thing I noticed, one of the screenshots in the lower right hand corner has a weapon selector, and it shows...no shit...."Air-to-Air" weapons. Well, aren't all of the weapons in a space sim "air to air".

Just gave me a good chuckle.

No subject
Nov 9, 2004, 12:17
No subject Nov 9, 2004, 12:17
Nov 9, 2004, 12:17

This game is the best thing since sliced up poop with the osmosis condition in an overflowing toilet.

Hmmm
Nov 9, 2004, 12:09
Hmmm Nov 9, 2004, 12:09
Nov 9, 2004, 12:09

Looks like this game was invented before FUN

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older