Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today, of course, is Election Day here in the U.S. The polls have been open around here for a bit already, but when I checked the news, they were not yet projecting a winner (I'm hanging my chad in shame over joking about such a serious topic).

Links of the Day: Foogle. Thanks a-ron.
Stories of the Day: Web news outlets gear up for election.
'Corn Toss' Catching on Beyond Midwest.
Pupil Appeals Harry Potter 'Witchcraft'.
Science!: The big election beta test.
Tidal wave threat 'over-hyped'.
Fossils show climate influencing evolution.
Media of the Day: Cobra Commander for President
Images of the Day: Gordon Freeman Costume.
Auction of the Day: My Very Healthy SPERM for Sale.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
170 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

130. Basketball Nov 2, 2004, 17:44 Warhawk

Anyone else excited about the NBA season finally getting underway tonight? If Dish Network carries Comcast Sports West I could catch the Kings game tonight, but it looks like I'll have to watch election stuff by default....

* Warhawk *

Hold it. The Schwarzenegger Library?
The Schwarzenegger Presidential Library. Wasn't he an actor when you...
He was President?

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

129. Re: PSSST... Nov 2, 2004, 17:37 thwart

Blue alien technology would probably win, but would it be worth it in the end? Especially, if it hurt the game of baseball? Now if it had a negative effect on cats that's okay, but baseball?

128. Re: Time for a hiatus... Nov 2, 2004, 17:33 ZigZang

No, that's moronic and wrong. The US needs the World as much as the World needs the US.

I don't need anything else . . . I need this paddle game . . . and this remote control, but I don't need anything else.

ZigZang

127. Election Results are in... Nov 2, 2004, 17:32 FourPak

THE TURD SANDWICH WINS!!!
(a South Park reference)

i'm gonna spend the evening downing a 12-pack and watching The Daily Show Election Special.

126. Re: PSSST... Nov 2, 2004, 17:30 Warhawk

I wonder which alien technology would win in a blind taste test?

Mmmmmmm, blue.

* Warhawk *

He was President?

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

125. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2004, 17:29 Tango

USA should remove themselves from the Israel/Palestine problems.
I don't agree. They need to get themselves more involved because without their involvement the fight is simply one-sided. But they need someone that isn't going into negotiations in Israel's pocket. They need to use the UN to force an agreement for a two state solution on both sides. They need an agreement that doesn't then go off to Israel and come back with a bunch of watered down compromises. They need to force Israel to accept Palestine's right to exist. Example: Palestinian films can't get Oscars, because the Academy doesn't regard Palestine as a country. That's retarded and pathetic and it's that sort of thing that needs to change. Palestinians don't enjoy blowing themselves up in cafes, but it will continue until they have a land to call their own. I don't wish death upon anyone, but if Arafat dies, hopefully this is a long term possibility.

Unfortunately, this is far from easy.

124. Re: Time for a hiatus... Nov 2, 2004, 17:28 Warhawk

Saddam refused to let the inspectors into Iraq UNTIL war looked inevitable.

The funny part is, Saddam had control over the entire situation. He could have allowed the inspectors the access they needed and he could have prevented the war by removing the reasons the UN wanted inspections. It was all up to him, but he refused.

* Warhawk *

He was President?

123. Re: PSSST... Nov 2, 2004, 17:23 thwart

I guess the green alien technology is good for going after the spotted owl one at a time; where as, the blue alien technology can kill five spotted owls at a time but it produces a peculiar oder.

Weird.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 17:24.

122. Re: Time for a hiatus... Nov 2, 2004, 17:23 Tango

Actaully, I don't produce anything or service anyone outside the US, but if I did and the rest of the world boycotted the US and I wasn't able to work I wouldn't have taxes to pay. Your logic has failed you.
No, that's moronic and wrong. The US needs the World as much as the World needs the US.

121. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2004, 17:22 coupland

> I hate the word terrorism. Terrorism is defined by the victims.

Well, I suppose terrorism has been granted some evil quality that denies it the dignity of a word like "war". If terrorists had planes and tanks, it would no longer be called terrorism, it would be called war. Since they don't have these at their disposal, they turn to unconventional means of violent revolt.

Look at Iraq. The people have had their tanks and planes taken away from them, so the way they fight occupation is through insurgence, or terrorism. Along with that definition comes all the associated connotations. However it's a really complicated issue when a population fights foreign occupation.

After all, didn't all this start because some group was protesting standing armies in their (holy) land during times of peace? I dunno, I'm not one to learn from history, but that wording sounds strangely familiar. Where have I heard that before?

I know the comparison is far fetched, but anyone who tries to boil complicated issues like this down into "good" and "evil" is selling something. This issue has been brewing for centuries; people try to frame it in the context of the last 5 years because it makes it a lot simpler to describe in black and white.

120. Re: PSSST... Nov 2, 2004, 17:20 thwart

I wonder which alien technology would win in a blind taste test?

119. PSSST... Nov 2, 2004, 17:18 thwart

I heard that Bush and Kerry both have their own secret agendas involving alien technology. Bush is using green alien technology while Kerry is using blue alien technology.

Great now we can debate about which alien technology is safer for us to use against the spotted owl!

118. Re: Time for a hiatus... Nov 2, 2004, 17:08 vajbern

Bush got the CIA to lie to the American public

Or maybe the CIA had no clue. Even Russia believed there were WMDs in Iraq. All the debate in the U.N. at the time was centered around how to enforce their Iraq's lack of compliance. I'm sure the inspectors would still be looking for them today. But no, that's the idea of a stupid American, right?

Where do you think the KGB gets alot of its intelligence? The CIA for Godssake (spies or conveniently leaked false information, most likely, to try drum up some international support).

Saddam refused to let the inspectors into Iraq UNTIL war looked inevitable. But Bush wanted the oil and so wouldn't hear of sending in the inspectors, even though the UN thought they should go in to prevent (this illegitimate) war.

You Bush supporters should practice some empathy. How would you feel if another country (the US), or even the UN forced you to let inspectors come into your country for 10 years to search for weapons/technology originally given to you by the now-aggressor country (the US) because they had wanted you to purchase their manufactured weapons to allow you to fight your neighbor (Iran)?
We saw the same scenario in Afghanistan: US government selling weapons to the Taliban to allow them to fight the Russians. After the war there was nothing left to justify the fight, and the US government withheld the aide that they promised to give when the fighting was over.

It's funny. One of the debates: Bush accused Kerry of flip-flopping over the Iraq invasion, but he had only supported the invasion because of the lies Bush had the CIA tell about the existence of WMD.

What a fucked-up country the US is? Good to see some people are smart enough to ask why the terrorism of 911 occurred in the first place. Getting the answers might make your country safer and prevent further attacks in the future... but finding the answers would be unpatriotic, right? You stupid Bush supporters!!!

117. Re: Time for a hiatus... Nov 2, 2004, 17:05 Warhawk

OK, but "We are the World" makes me feel like barfing. How about "Goo Goo Muck", or "Human Fly"?

Whatever turns your crank, man, whatever turns your crank.

* Warhawk *

He was President?

116. WarHawk Shut your spewing anus of a gob Nov 2, 2004, 17:04 Moog Operator

"A. BS - he has repeatedly stated his concern and support for the individual troops.
B. This lack of understanding routed the Taliban and Saddam's army in a matter of months.
C. No, he doesn't. Where does he say "God will make the decision for me"?
D. And? You actually want nukes used? Israel has the right to defend itself, too, you know?
E. A nuke war over Taiwan? Where do you get this stuff - the funny papers?
F. No, he didn't. The military is doing a fine job. Maybe more troops could be used in hindsight, but that doesn't mean it was an intentional lie. Wars are uncertain things, and changing demands are being met.
"

A. Pictures of coffins are not allowed to be run in newspapers, and Bush has not attended a SINGLE funeral of ONE god damn dead soldier. He really cares, eh? Oh. Wait. Your right, he writes his own speeches, and that's what he really really thinks.

b. The Taliban are retaking Afghanistan, and did so mere weeks after USAs invasion of Iraq, and the USA is loosing so god damn bad in Iraq they have to air lift supplies to thousands of troops because ground transport is too dangerous. They are getting forced out of falluja, and killed left right and center.

c. George bush has said many times that "God chose me to become president" and numerous other mumbo-pocus infused messages proclaiming his belief in poorly translated forgwash. "God told me to go after OBL, and I did. God told me to strike out at Al Qaida, and I did" etc. are pretty secure references to one "god" and this "god" is the only person he answers to - even over his own father (according to bush himself)

d. Israel defend itself? Israel has the special distinction of being the #1 country for miliraty usurpation of sovereign lands (usa not included, they dont move settlers in) in the world since the late 60s - look at a map today of Israels occupied territories, and Israels actual 1967 green line borders - they are not defending themselves, they are aggresively expanding their borders, and Palestinians rebuttals, violent though they are, are completely justified. Was France a bunch of "terrorists" in world view when Germany was rolling in during their acts of extreme self defence in the 40s?

e., f, whatever. You are spewing the worldview you recieve from some of the most dubious news organizations on the face of the planet today - up is down to these people, black is cannon fodder and no-k to vote, and 1,100 USA soldiers dead in Iraq and counting is a jorb well done. Repeating the lies, distortions, spinnings, and campaign literature of these organizations like its the truth is perhaps the clearest confirmation of your (along with MMORPGHArbingerofstupidity) perfect alignment with what the rest of the world refers to as a typical american mongo. Goebells is smiling from his grave every time you open front of head mounted anus you call a mouth

ps vote bush

Vote for Bush and find out

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

115. Re: Crap tard Nov 2, 2004, 17:03 Warhawk

I woke up this morning and my hardrive was dead.

Had that happen to my wife (my old computer, built in 1996/7?) last December. Luckily, although it wouldn't boot, we were able to recover the data using it as a slave drive. Hopefully that (or something similar) will work for you as well.

Good Luck!

* Warhawk *

He was President?

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 17:04.

114. No subject Nov 2, 2004, 16:57 sauron

Ouch, HD crashes suck. Hope you get your stuff back.

Re. the election, apparently turnout has been real high, with no bad stuff going on. Good to see that, although it has to be helpful for Kerry more than Bush.

Kittens!

113. Re: Crap tard Nov 2, 2004, 16:49 Zathrus

Today sucked for me, and it is not over, now I get to begin redoing weeks of work!!! weee!

Ouch. Sorry to hear it man. I hope you can recover everything you need from your old drive.

112. Re: Time for a hiatus... Nov 2, 2004, 16:48 sauron

But can we all just get along tomorrow? Maybe a rousing rendition of "We are the World" after the votes are counted? Who's with me?

OK, but "We are the World" makes me feel like barfing. How about "Goo Goo Muck", or "Human Fly"?

Kittens!

111. Re: Time for a hiatus... Nov 2, 2004, 16:47 Plissken

Actually if you google one Scott Ritter

Scott Ritter turned into a partisan Liberal doorknob.

Liberalism generates the exact opposite of it's stated intent.

170 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo