Site Seeing - The Elder Scrolls IV

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Website is now online (thanks Frans), dedicated to the next installment in Bethesda Softworks' RPG series. The site includes a press release offering some new details about the game, a FAQ, and the first four screenshots from the game. Here's a bit from today's announcement:
Oblivion features a groundbreaking new AI system, called Radiant AI, which gives non-player characters (NPCs) the ability to make their own choices based on the world around them. They'll decide where to eat or who to talk to and what they'll say. They'll sleep, go to church, and even steal items, all based on their individual characteristics. Full facial animations and lip-synching, combined with full speech for all dialog, allows NPCs to come to life like never before.

Oblivion is a single-player game that takes place in Tamriel's capital province, Cyrodiil. You are given the task of finding the hidden heir to a throne that sits empty, the previous emperor having been killed by an unknown assassin. With no true Emperor, the gates to Oblivion (the equivalent of hell in the world of Tamriel) open, and demons begin to invade Cyrodiil and attack its people and towns. It's up to you to find the lost heir to the throne and unravel the sinister plot that threatens to destroy all of Tamriel.
View : : :
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: No subject
Oct 25, 2004, 03:47
Re: No subject Oct 25, 2004, 03:47
Oct 25, 2004, 03:47

"I missed out on morrowind, and by the time it was recommended to me, the graphics were so far out of date that I couldn't get myself interested."

I just bought the game of the year edition and see no problem in the graphics myself. I think they are better than San Andreas from what I see and that isn't released yet. Don't tell me you wont play that when it comes out either

Oct 23, 2004, 18:31
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 18:31
Oct 23, 2004, 18:31

That's all gone if every little detail is glaringly pointed out to you between bites of babyfood spooned by Mommy into your mouth on your highchair

I couldn't have said it better. What's the point of playing an RPG if there's no mystique surrounding the expansive world in which it takes place in? Yes the story/history of the game is very important but I feel it should be learned and explored through your own experience within the game, a la Myst for example.

Oct 23, 2004, 17:06
nin

Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 17:06
Oct 23, 2004, 17:06
 nin

Morrowind came out on the X-Box...

Oh yeah and by the time it is out the graphics wont be as spectacular sadly

Morrowind looked good when it came out

Yes, and the framerate was ca-ca...still is, even on a 6800GT.

They fix that and the fact that 90% of the NPCs said the exact same thing, and I'll be happy...

www.muse.mu

Oct 23, 2004, 15:17
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 15:17
Oct 23, 2004, 15:17

this game Looks Beautifulllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Oct 23, 2004, 13:45
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 13:45
Oct 23, 2004, 13:45

Lets hope they are not going to make it console crap, because they are developing with all platforms in mind witch is kinda dangerouse tehnically
As disappointed as I have been at the latest batch of games ruined by console contamination and "parallel development," I have to admit Bethesda got Morrowind right in that regard. There was a little glitch involving having to scroll through a whole lot of prices until you got to the one you wanted if you were buying or selling something, but they quickly fixed that with a patch so PC players could just type the price in. As far as the interface and even the graphics went, it was as good on the PC as it could have been even without console interference. Xbox players had to store their gear in a weird, bottomless sack, but PC players could leave their hundreds of hoarded items out in the open whereever they wanted. Unlike certain companies who shall remain nameless, they took the time to customize the PC version in ways that made sense for a player with keyboard, mouse, 256 Mb of RAM or more, and a high resolution display that wasn't sitting on the other side of the room.

So their technology and interface was top-notch in my opinion and I'm grateful to Bethesda for doing it. There remains the issue of dumbing games down for a console audience. These little tidbits for example:
The problem was, Morrowind was so huge and free flowing that it turned off as many gamers as it turned on. Many of the people who started playing Morrowind stopped playing because they didn't have a specific direction or they simply got bored.
"Right now we're working on our dynamic compass that will show you how close you are to dungeons while wandering the forests or where the person is that you need to talk to make a quest progress"
I'm thinking of console players with an attention span measured in seconds. Exploring out of the way places, taking the time to walk across a vast grassy savannah just to look at the scenery, stumbling on unexpected adventures, unsought serendipity ... these are the little treasures that give games like this life and depth. That's all gone if every little detail is glaringly pointed out to you between bites of babyfood spooned by Mommy into your mouth on your highchair.

Oct 23, 2004, 09:56
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 09:56
Oct 23, 2004, 09:56

Hm. What RPGs have there been since Morrowind that looked better?

You have a point, but I haven't played any RPG's in a long time, so that was kind of my point....

Oct 23, 2004, 09:53
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 09:53
Oct 23, 2004, 09:53

Hm. What RPGs have there been since Morrowind that looked better? Gothic II, arguably, although I'd say Morrowing was on par with it graphically (I liked GII more in every other respect, though). Most current MMORPGs look better. But apart from those, I'm drawing a blank.

same here, Morrowind still holds up very, very well as far as I'm concerned. It had high poly counts, high res textures and extremely talented artists working on the game. Since devs have started using normal and bump mapping on a regular basis any game that doesn't use them are considered somehow inferior to something that doesn't use them. It'll still tax a current PC if all the visual settings are pegged to their max.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Oct 23, 2004, 08:09
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 08:09
Oct 23, 2004, 08:09

ReDeeMeR....

Lets hope they are not going to make it console crap, because they are developing with all platforms in mind witch is kinda dangerouse tehnically

Morrowind came out on the X-Box...

Morrowind looked good when it came out

They should just hire more staff and finish it sooner, because there will be other good rpg's coming out, it would sell like hot cakes now.

They should sell it when it's done, it will sell.

0-3, nice job, try Morrowind

Oct 23, 2004, 08:05
Duc
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 08:05
Oct 23, 2004, 08:05
Duc

There are literally hundreds of high def packs that sort out morrowinds weakest areas - texturing, with those installed, and the high def trees extra wildlife etc.. morrowind becomes a completely different game and one that is definately worth trying.

Oct 23, 2004, 06:41
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 06:41
Oct 23, 2004, 06:41

And another poster said something similar - I don't get it. If all games will look like this in 2 years, I'm thrilled. It will make Morrowind less special but it's still freaking cool... Depriving yourself of pleasure to make it more exciting is a valid strategy, but not one I subscribe to, typically.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 06:42.

Oct 23, 2004, 06:20
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 06:20
Oct 23, 2004, 06:20

Lets hope they are not going to make it console crap, because they are developing with all platforms in mind witch is kinda dangerouse tehnically, all console to pc games blew chunks.

Oh yeah and by the time it is out the graphics wont be as spectacular sadly, all the tehnology we had for the past few years, HDR, bumpmaping etc etc and other games had non static AI and better combat model.

They should just hire more staff and finish it sooner, because there will be other good rpg's coming out, it would sell like hot cakes now.

Oct 23, 2004, 05:47
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 05:47
Oct 23, 2004, 05:47

I missed out on morrowind, and by the time it was recommended to me, the graphics were so far out of date that I couldn't get myself interested.

Hm. What RPGs have there been since Morrowind that looked better? Gothic II, arguably, although I'd say Morrowing was on par with it graphically (I liked GII more in every other respect, though). Most current MMORPGs look better. But apart from those, I'm drawing a blank.

Oct 23, 2004, 05:22
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 05:22
Oct 23, 2004, 05:22

I like the idea of this game [done right], as well as games like the new Troika Vampire RPG, over a game like Half Life 2, because of the replayability and ability to explore a world at my own pace, etc.

And yes, I do know that Half-Life 2 is an FPS, so you can save the "apples and oranges" response. All I mean is that when these type of games are done right, you end up getting a lot more value for your 50 dollars.

I missed out on morrowind, and by the time it was recommended to me, the graphics were so far out of date that I couldn't get myself interested. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this game, although I'm sure the press leading up to release won't let any of us forget anyhow.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 05:23.

Oct 23, 2004, 04:49
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 04:49
Oct 23, 2004, 04:49

@ #21:

I don't like the word need. It implies that it's something we HAVE to do, when we obviously do not. Stalker is mostly pissing people off because they're breaking promises, not so much that it's taking forever -- good games take time. All the Elder Scrolls games take an eternity to develop, because they're massive, and it seems they try to deliver what they promise. Every installment of TES has gotten better than the previous, so i'm going to make an educated guess (based on my experience with TES games in the past) and say that i think this one will be the same.

Let's wait and see, i guess.

---------
Pandora Studios programmer
http://www.frag-ops.com

Re: Finally
Oct 23, 2004, 03:51
Re: Finally Oct 23, 2004, 03:51
Oct 23, 2004, 03:51

morrowinnd four years to develop right?

2 years I beleive. I distinctly remember when it was announced and saw the first screenies, my reaction was the same as it is now with this.....lust.

What Would Fred Do?
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Oct 23, 2004, 02:35
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 02:35
Oct 23, 2004, 02:35

Those screenshots look perfectly reasonable for next generation console target hardware. In fact, I Wouldn't be surprised if the visuals improve over the course of development and optimization.

Oct 23, 2004, 02:33
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 02:33
Oct 23, 2004, 02:33

Cliffracers are annoying
"Rather than split our focus between two different types of gameplay"
Diablo supported multiplayer and singleplayer. And how old is Diablo? 1960's? This is the year 2004 and every game should have multiplayer, run on solar power, 3D graphics, come on a dvd, spyware, full speech dialog, cats and dogs living together, etc. Daoc is a better game. Except for the lvl grind and rvr combat

Oct 23, 2004, 02:18
Re: No subject Oct 23, 2004, 02:18
Oct 23, 2004, 02:18

GOD, I hope not. There is a mod that makes them less common for Morrowind. That's the first thing I install if I ever reinstall the Morrowind GotY edition. Heh.

No subject
Oct 23, 2004, 02:11
No subject Oct 23, 2004, 02:11
Oct 23, 2004, 02:11

All I want to know is- are there cliffracers?

Re: Groundbreaking new AI system?
Oct 23, 2004, 01:39
Re: Groundbreaking new AI system? Oct 23, 2004, 01:39
Oct 23, 2004, 01:39

The features they're adding aren't completely unreasonable, so I doubt this will turn out to be another STALKER type of situation. Besides, Bethesda has delievered in the past. I was completely surprised with how well they pulled off Morrowind. And despite the fact that there were bugs, it was completely playable and I didn't personally experience any (ala Daggerfall, where they were everywhere even after the last patch).

Mulitplayer will NEVER be added to Elder Scrolls games. They've stated this time and again and its even on the website in their Oblivion FAQ. I kind of agree. It seems they want to create a uniquely personal experience for a single player and I admire that.

I think all the speculation we're making is a little early to say though. They're very good about listening to the community and fixing their game when it is either broken or not what the community wants. Of course, some of the fixes came in the form of an expansion pack, but I really liked the GotY edition myself. Hours and hours of exploration there.

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older