Out of the Blue

I have myself a bit of a tummy-ache this morning. I guess working through it makes up for at least one of the times in my childhood when I made one of these up in order to get out of going to school.

Link of the Day: Sims Torture Blog. Thanks Devicer. Contains foul language and simulated cruelty.
Story of the Day: Orgies are the way to ease social tensions, claims US judge. Thanks Ihya.
Police: Man staged robbery to impress wife. Thanks Bunko.
Teen found alive after 8 days in wrecked car.
Science!: People Are Human-Bacteria Hybrid.
Women 'better at holding drink'. See: Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Emory chemists develop bacteria that may help decaffeinate coffee.
Images of the Day: APOD 2004 October 7 - Moon Lightning. Thanks Enahs.
Trekkie Space Badge. Thanks Ant.
Auctions of the Day: Half Life CounterStrike Cute Toys Figure Set. Thanks a-ron.
Boy's eBay con nets £45,000.
Follow-ups: DNA Pioneer Defends Stem Cell Research.
Star Wars Kid cameo in Tony Hawk game. Thanks Donovan.
U.S. Shuttles May Resume ISS Flights in May.
Thanks Mike Martinez.
View : : :
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: WHAT?
Oct 13, 2004, 07:16
Re: WHAT? Oct 13, 2004, 07:16
Oct 13, 2004, 07:16

Bush has done much worse. Where's the cry to impeach him? You're such a hypocrite.

Yeah, whatever. Go ahead and try, if you want. See how far you get.

* Warhawk *

Lloyd, what do you think about the dream?
I think she should stop telling it at dinner parties to all our friends.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Oct 13, 2004, 01:35
Re: WHAT? Oct 13, 2004, 01:35
Oct 13, 2004, 01:35

Bush has done much worse. Where's the cry to impeach him? You're such a hypocrite.

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."
- Bogart, Play it Again Sam
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Oct 13, 2004, 00:50
Re: WHAT? Oct 13, 2004, 00:50
Oct 13, 2004, 00:50

I can't take anything you say about politics seriously

Because you have an extreme viewpoint on most issues which disagrees with mine, therefore you can't take me seriously? Halsy's way or the highway again - too bad you're wrong again.

you being from California and all

Funny, I think you'd fit in well with all the leftist kooks living in SoCal.

Recall is only supposed to be used in the most dire of circumstances.

If you lived in California at the time, you would've known that there were serious problems and Davis was incapable of dealing with them.

It wasn't Gray's fault entirely that things were so bad. Yes, he had to shoulder some of the blame, but there was nothing that REMOTELY warranted a recall.

Not living here, pardon the expression, but how the hell do you know? You weren't here for:

*revenues up 22%, gov't spending up 38% during his administration
*constant lying about the budget situation prior to his re-election, then switching to more realistic #s as soon as the election was over
*pandering to illegal immigration supporters (the left) by supporting driver's licenses for illegal immigrants
*increasing pension benefits for some state workers by 50% during a record deficit
*selling his votes and influence to the highest bidder in repeated scandals connected to fundraising
*refusing to deal with the energy crisis until it was beyond emergency stage, then signing long-term deals at inflated rates, crippling the state's buying power for years to come
*repeated widespread power blackouts
*spending one-time tax windfalls on new projects requiring annual spending, almost bankrupting the state
*did nothing to protect Californians (seniors and others on fixed budgets especially) from power bills that more than tripled in a few months thanks to his mismanagement

the list goes on and on, so just pipe down. You didn't have to live through his bumbling, we did.

It's no different from the extensive gerrymandering the republicans have been doing all over the U.S., and other attempts at recalls for the smallest things. They aren't just trying to win, they're trying to eliminate all opposition. They want a 1 party country run for, and by, the plutocrats (i.e. the new aristocracy). That's not democracy, that's FASCISM. Maybe you hate democracy like your leaders do, but some of us tend to think it's a pretty darn good system. Maybe you want to be ruled by corporate interests and become a fully indentured servant to them, but some of us prefer being free of them and having them serve our interests.

Oh my gosh, the sky is falling because the people of this state decided that he was no longer performing his duties to even the minimal standard he needed to overcome a recall vote. The world is coming to an end!

Look, I know it's hard for you to understand, but the law in California allows a recall to take place in situations like this. It wasn't just conservatives that put the laws there in the state constitution 90 years ago:

In fact, this recall is exactly what the Progressive reformers had in mind when they added direct democracy, including recall of public officials, to our Constitution 90 years ago.

The Progressive reformers, led by Hiram Johnson, made recalling an incumbent office holder difficult, but they gave no particular deference to elective terms of office. Forcing an incumbent to defend himself or herself midterm was quite justified. In fact, when the recall was enacted in 1911, the big debate was over whether to include judges. There was no debate about recalling other elected officials. The people can exercise their recall rights anytime they choose.

The reformers had three criteria in mind to set off a recall: the incumbent has done something very unpopular; he or she is just plain incompetent; or, most important, an aura of corruption surrounds the official.

Unfortunately for Davis, he scores high on all three criteria.

There is no question of his unpopularity with his record high level of disapproval. His competence is a legitimate issue given his response to the energy and budget crises. But neither of these rise to the level of justification for recall as our founding fathers intended it. It was his corrupting of the elections process that set in motion the events that have led his near certain recall.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/06/22/IN227179.DTL

Just because your narrow worldview doesn't support a recall of an idiot of a governor, don't lay into me about the "vast right-wing conspiracies" you keep making up in your head.

* Warhawk *

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Re: Web Question
Oct 13, 2004, 00:25
Re: Web Question Oct 13, 2004, 00:25
Oct 13, 2004, 00:25

Allow me to play a know-it-all like Zathrus or Enahs for a second...

There are tons of ways to er, 'influence' the search engines. The first step begins with site submission. You have to let engines know that you're out there. Then you need to put meta tags on your pages to help the search engines describe your content:

http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2167931

Probably the biggest factor is reciprocal links - i.e. the more links that lead to your site, the more 'important' your page seems and the better some engines will rank you (and to be a good netizen you should allow links on your page as well). Some people will put your link on their site for a fee, and with others you only have to ask.

As long as your content remains fresh (this makes your site seem 'alive'), you'll keep the search robots coming back to your site and eventually you'll get to the top of the rankings once the word about you has spread. Poke around the previous site I mentioned and this one: http://www.seotoday.com/ There are a ton more tips - hopefully this will get you started.

---------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]
Vote Toothpick Spreader Party in 2004!
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

Oct 12, 2004, 23:25
Re: Web Question Oct 12, 2004, 23:25
Oct 12, 2004, 23:25

Thanks for all the helps guys. I've redone some of the header and added in a bunch of the title things for <a href>'s to try and raise my visibility a bit. I learn stuff every day and keep improving and tidying as I go. I wonder what my stats are going to look like tomorrow with all you boys crawling around?

For webhosting Bronco and I <3 ICDSoft [icdsoft.com] for hosting. Cheap, MT-compatible, good support. There may be better deals out there but for a small site they seem very good.

http://citizenb.com/ - Shameless website plug.
Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 23:27.
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

Oct 12, 2004, 23:24
Re: Web Question Oct 12, 2004, 23:24
Oct 12, 2004, 23:24

I was going to IM you about the secret gmail invite thing you had in your .sig for awhile
Ah, ok, that makes sense.

Maybe I should bug you some time
You'd be the first person on my AIM buddy list.

Oct 12, 2004, 23:11
Re: Web Question Oct 12, 2004, 23:11
Oct 12, 2004, 23:11

Where's a good place to get web hosting?

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Oct 12, 2004, 20:37
Re: Web Question Oct 12, 2004, 20:37

I basically just want to get it to the point where if you type my name into Google, you can find my site.

Two things you can do.

1. Change your MT formatting to make every post have Ben Voigt in the tag line.

2. Time. It takes a while for the bots to begin crawling your page.

I like your layout. I need to get off my duff and convert to the 'Holy Grail' format. Too bad WoW is taking all my free time right now.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

I've listened to Michael Jackson's Three-Dimensional Cow, have you?
-TPFKAS2S

Re: WHAT? Oct 12, 2004, 20:37

If you pay real close attention, I said nothing about those individuals, only that Gray needed to be ousted.

And if you paid real close attention you'd understand I can't take anything you say about politics seriously, you being from California and all. I'll bet you voted for Arnie, and would have voted for Sonny Bono and Reagan if you could have.

What you call abuse others call the right to recall an elected official failing drastically at his job.

Recall is only supposed to be used in the most dire of circumstances. Like if Davis came out saying he was an active pedophile or something. It wasn't Gray's fault entirely that things were so bad. Yes, he had to shoulder some of the blame, but there was nothing that REMOTELY warranted a recall. It's no different from the extensive gerrymandering the republicans have been doing all over the U.S., and other attempts at recalls for the smallest things. They aren't just trying to win, they're trying to eliminate all opposition. They want a 1 party country run for, and by, the plutocrats (i.e. the new aristocracy). That's not democracy, that's FASCISM. Maybe you hate democracy like your leaders do, but some of us tend to think it's a pretty darn good system. Maybe you want to be ruled by corporate interests and become a fully indentured servant to them, but some of us prefer being free of them and having them serve our interests.

- Stephen Colbert

Re: Choking
Oct 12, 2004, 20:26
Re: Choking Oct 12, 2004, 20:26
Oct 12, 2004, 20:26

SIDS related post by Zathrus:

Of course, you can only do this as long as the kid allows you to.

You also need to take into account that some kids just will not sleep on their backs no matter how tired they are. All three of mine insisted on belly sleeping. Funny, I feel the same way.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

I've listened to Michael Jackson's Three-Dimensional Cow, have you?
-TPFKAS2S

Re: Wasp update
Oct 12, 2004, 19:09
Re: Wasp update Oct 12, 2004, 19:09
Oct 12, 2004, 19:09

Btw they're dead! Muahahahahahaha!
I assume that this is the Wasp-nest-in-the-fence topic a while back?

* Warhawk *

Oct 12, 2004, 19:06
Re: WHAT? Oct 12, 2004, 19:06
Oct 12, 2004, 19:06

Anyone who puts people like Regan, Sonny Bono, and Arnie into office is not anyone who I can take seriously politically speaking.

If you pay real close attention, I said nothing about those individuals, only that Gray needed to be ousted.

What you call abuse others call the right to recall an elected official failing drastically at his job.

I agree with whoever said that the less that the legislature is in session, the better off we are (especially in California).

* Warhawk *

hendrix ?
Oct 12, 2004, 18:57
hendrix ? Oct 12, 2004, 18:57

your telling me Jimi Hendrix choked to death in a pool of his own VOMIT ???!!!....holy SHIT ! do you realise how much VOMIT IT TAKES TO FILL A POOL !!!!..............
(sorry , i couldnt resist)

Re: Web Question Oct 12, 2004, 18:57

Is that me in your buddy list on that one screenshot?
Yes, that would be you

I was going to IM you about the secret gmail invite thing you had in your .sig for awhile but never got around to it for one reason or another. Then Zathrus gave me one. I never took you off my list either. Maybe I should bug you some time

EDIT: Now that you mention it, since my website actually has a domain now and a possibility for traffic I should probably blur the names in my desktop shots

Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 19:01.
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

Wasp update
Wasp update Oct 12, 2004, 18:57

Btw they're dead! Muahahahahahaha!

That gross guy
Oct 12, 2004, 18:53
That gross guy Oct 12, 2004, 18:53

Don't feed the trolls!

Re: Web Question Oct 12, 2004, 18:53

Is that me in your buddy list on that one screenshot?

Oct 12, 2004, 18:40
Re: WHAT? Oct 12, 2004, 18:40
Oct 12, 2004, 18:40

Exactly why we ousted Gray Davis. Now, if we could just organize the same sentiment to do the same to the California legislature....

Really? I thought it was the Republican abuse of the recall process, and the actions of guys like Bush's buddy, Ken Lay, and the general political illiteracy of the Californian people is why Davis got ousted. Anyone who puts people like Regan, Sonny Bono, and Arnie into office is not anyone who I can take seriously politically speaking.

Surfs up, dude!

- Stephen Colbert

Oct 12, 2004, 18:34
Re: Web Question Oct 12, 2004, 18:34
Oct 12, 2004, 18:34

someone who doesn't give two shits and a piss about ya

Right back at ya, cocksmack. It's a good blog, Bunko. Keep on bloggin', man.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 18:36.
- Stephen Colbert

Oct 12, 2004, 18:32
Enahs

Re: Web Question Oct 12, 2004, 18:32
Oct 12, 2004, 18:32
 Enahs

Show me where I asked you for your opinion.

Show me where he asked for your opinion on his opinion?

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older