Axis & Allies Demo

A playable demo for Axis & Allies is now available, offering the chance to sample the real-time strategy game from TimeGate Studios based on the popular wargame. The demo is a 275 MB download, offering a single-player level and a random map generator for multiplayer play. The demo is available on 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.
View : : :
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Well this sucks.
Oct 7, 2004, 22:38
Well this sucks. Oct 7, 2004, 22:38
Oct 7, 2004, 22:38

Bah. Many of you are overlooking a unique game that barely even fits in the RTS genre because either...

A) It's real time and the Axis and Allies board game is turn based.

B) It's "Yet another RTS" (hint - no other RTS game besides Kohan features morale that causes units to break AND units you manage on the platoon rather than figure basis)

C) It's "Yet another WW2 game". Eh. WW2, Medieval Wars, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Ancient Wars will always be popular subjects for computer games as they are made and played by nerds, and these are popular subjects for nerds.

Just because the game has tanks and infantry doesn't mean the game plays like C&C. Play the tutorials, learn how the game is different from others, and stop assuming it plays like every other RTS.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 22:47.

been looking forward to what?
Oct 6, 2004, 21:21
been looking forward to what? Oct 6, 2004, 21:21
Oct 6, 2004, 21:21

Thought I would check out the demo, I liked the board game and even liked the old Hasbro PC version (no board setup!) but this really blows, same old tired stuff.

McSterls

Re: here we go
Oct 6, 2004, 19:46
Re: here we go Oct 6, 2004, 19:46
Oct 6, 2004, 19:46

I asked two questions on the Atari forums awhile back but they never got answered.

1) Are the unit ranges in the game as short as they are in the trailer movies that have been released?

2) This game looks like it's trying to be (and, IIRC, calls itself) a Grand Strategy (ie. control the nation, economy, troop movements etc. on a 'strategic' interface ; control combat on a 'tactical' interface.), but the screen shots and movies show buildings on the combat zone. Is this a "standard" RTS (resources, production and combat all at the same time) or Grand Strategy?

I love the power glove. It's so bad.

Re: here we go
Oct 6, 2004, 15:29
Re: here we go Oct 6, 2004, 15:29
Oct 6, 2004, 15:29

actually this demo isn't too bad, I will agree with the previous poster in that the game does appear to have some frame-rate type issues.

codename panzers pretty much sucks, I *REALLY* hate games that were ported from another language, especially ones that don't take the time and rewrite the script from the native language to the new language. Codename Panzer's voices are absolutely horrible, it's blatantly obvious that the voice work is just reading from the german scripts.
These are two different games as well as A&A focuses a lot more on resources and tech tree type RTS whereas CP is more along the lines of military strategy.

Anyway, the A&A demo isn't bad and it sounds like the game will have some fun co-op type multiplayer action.

here we go
Oct 6, 2004, 12:20
here we go Oct 6, 2004, 12:20
Oct 6, 2004, 12:20

just when i thought the dust setteled on WW2 another game pops out and tries to garner our attention,

No thank you we have Panzers and if i see another ww2 game im gonna up chuck.

Re: Awesome is what it is
Oct 6, 2004, 11:30
Re: Awesome is what it is Oct 6, 2004, 11:30
Oct 6, 2004, 11:30

Codename Panzers kicks this games ass and takes no prisoners

For a more global game however, this one isnt that bad, still I would rather devote time to Codename Panzers if I have to sit and play a WW2 game right now

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 11:31.

Awesome is what it is
Oct 6, 2004, 10:42
Awesome is what it is Oct 6, 2004, 10:42
Oct 6, 2004, 10:42

It's like Kohan, except 3D, with better combined arms gameplay, and during WW2. This is a fun demo with multiplayer and single player skirmish.

My only problem with it is the engine runs somewhat slow, but oh well. Maybe it's my graphics setup, but if not, they had better optimize it a bit before releasing if they know what is good for their bank account and review scores.

Play the tutorials. The only game it's even remotely like is Kohan. It doesn't play like any other game except for that. I've played them all, and this Axis and Allies RTS isn't anything like Rise of Nations, C&C anything, or any of the Total War games. The gameplay and interface is totally different, so if you don't play the tutorials, you won't have a clue. This seems to be the state of all three people I've seen post here.

Re: No subject
Oct 6, 2004, 09:41
Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 09:41
Oct 6, 2004, 09:41

Up yours, traitors! I'm not playing your demo!

No subject
Oct 6, 2004, 07:18
No subject Oct 6, 2004, 07:18
Oct 6, 2004, 07:18

Exactly what's bad then? C&C Red Alert kicked so much ass. So are you saying it plays the same with an updated engine or what? BTW I don't really understand how you can compare the two when this looks like it's going for total realism while Red Alert is more on the fictitous side.

"This my finest sword. If in your journey you should encounter God, God will be cut." -Hattori Hanzo ~Kill Bill

Craptacular
Oct 6, 2004, 04:02
Craptacular Oct 6, 2004, 04:02
Oct 6, 2004, 04:02

This game is like an updated C&C: Red Alert, that's how bad it is.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older