UK Half-Life 2 DVD Only?

A post on Halflife2.net (thanks Stoo) reports they've received indications from U.K. retailers that the Half-Life 2 will be released in the U.K. on DVD only. They don't have word on the remainder of Europe, though they point out and that the Far Cry CD edition was not sold across the pond either.
View : : :
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: No subject
Oct 5, 2004, 17:53
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 17:53
Oct 5, 2004, 17:53

Stupid question time though-what the heck is the difference between DVD -R and DVD +R?

Not much, except that they are competing standards from various OEM suppliers. It was a bigger issue a year or two ago when players first came out, since most players supported one or the other, not both. Just about all DVD players out there now support both formats. I say stick with "+" and you should be fine in most cases.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive
This comment was edited on Oct 5, 17:54.

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

Oct 5, 2004, 17:46
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 17:46
Oct 5, 2004, 17:46

I'm someone who just recently got a DVD drive. Never really had a use for it, but always thought it would be nice to have. So I finally got one, and like it quite a bit. Stupid question time though-what the heck is the difference between DVD -R and DVD +R? And the same token, DVD -RW/+RW? I know the difference between R and RW, just curious as to the +/- aspects of it.

Oct 5, 2004, 17:23
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 17:23
Oct 5, 2004, 17:23

I just picked up NWN Platinum on DVD and all I can say is Valve sucks ass for not releasing just the basic package on DVD. Fuck you, Gabe! You go to hell. You go to hell and you die!

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."
- Bogart, Play it Again Sam
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Oct 5, 2004, 15:07
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 15:07
Oct 5, 2004, 15:07

replaying the original right now. I want HL2, already own HL, and am not paying extra to replay a game I already own and played through, even if it is a bit prettier.

Well, it depends on what Valve charges for the various versions. I am interested in the Silver version in particular.

I understand some folks really want it - for a very NOMINAL price difference, I would too. However, I am probably going to get it at Best Buy, so getting the version with HL:Source will probably be significantly more than the plain CD version.

* Warhawk *

"Uh...Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal."
"What happened?"
"Had a slight weapons malfunction but, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're all fine here, how are you?"

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Oct 5, 2004, 15:02
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 15:02
Oct 5, 2004, 15:02

m replaying the original right now. I want HL2, already own HL, and am not paying extra to replay a game I already own and played through, even if it is a bit prettier.

Well, it depends on what Valve charges for the various versions. I am interested in the Silver version in particular.

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

Oct 5, 2004, 14:47
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 14:47
Oct 5, 2004, 14:47

I dig it.

Oct 5, 2004, 14:40
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 14:40
Oct 5, 2004, 14:40

Oct 5, 2004, 14:26
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 14:26
Oct 5, 2004, 14:26

I'm all about HL:Source, and hopefuly OpFor and Blue Shift Source at some point here. I really wish id had redone Quake 2 with the Doom 3 engine like they where considering at one point.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 14:26.

Oct 5, 2004, 14:24
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 14:24
Oct 5, 2004, 14:24

I have not installed HalfLife 1 and it's add ons since I last upgraded my computer - I am waiting for the Source versions to play them all over again

I'm replaying the original right now. I want HL2, already own HL, and am not paying extra to replay a game I already own and played through, even if it is a bit prettier.

* Warhawk *

"What happened?"
"Had a slight weapons malfunction but, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're all fine here, how are you?"

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Oct 5, 2004, 14:20
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 14:20
Oct 5, 2004, 14:20

Not jumping on you....yet. But, remeber, the game isn't out yet. Key part of your post is "supposedly". How much space is it taking up? My current install of Steam WITHOUT the pre-load is over 3GB. HL1 and some add-ons.

Secondly....anyone remember that movie long ago, SCI-FI about halloween or something, and when you put the mask on your head, there was a little device on the back of it that either killed you or made you a drone for the company that provided it for you? While they were watching tv it would hypnotize them. Steam reminds me of that movie.

I will be buying HL2 from the store, but will obviously have to update via Steam.

(another thought: There is a recent SCI-FI movie/show on that had something similar. People would watch TV and they would turn to dust with this new device on the top of their tv. These people were part of the "test group" for this company. I forget what show that was also. It was late one night last month and it was on SCI-FI)

Dude, you are way too paranoid. This is just a game we are talking about. I would be suspicious if the U.S. government forced me to do something like that. But seriously dude .... Valve?!

As for the 3 gig footprint .... who cares? I got twin 80 gig S-ATA drives running in RAID-0, with about 115 gigs still to spare. I have not installed HalfLife 1 and it's add ons since I last upgraded my computer - I am waiting for the Source versions to play them all over again

Oct 5, 2004, 14:17
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 14:17
Oct 5, 2004, 14:17

Mystery solved.

Oct 5, 2004, 14:12
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 14:12
Oct 5, 2004, 14:12

Does anyone know if the reason for exporting DVDs instead of CDs has anything to do with the encryption laws or the tarriff that may be imposed on weight or # of pieces?

Maybe a long shot, but there has to be a reason hidden somewhere in here.

LOL. Exporting? From where to where? From the USA? You think they make all the games and ship them around the world? You don't think there are shiney disc duplication plants in places like UK?

The reason we have DVD releases is the retailers.

We have higher population density, and shops have smaller square metreage per person. This combination means that retailers want product to take up less shelf space.

Hence long ago we gave big cardboard boxes for games the heave-ho and switched to DVD cases. However, these were often full of CD-ROMs sometimes three.

Unfortunately you can't fit six CD-ROMs in a single DVD-case, so retailers put pressure on publisher for high volume titles to be on DVD (takes up less space, and cheaper to ship around).

Shipping on DVD has upside for publisher too because a DVD DVD costs about the same as a single CD to manufacture (they really do), therefore six discs CD is six times as expensive as DVD. Furthermore, they don't need to use some clip in rubbish in DVD case to hold multiple disks.

In USA it's different, retailers tend to think that people see more value in big boxes and lots of disks. More is more.

StooMonster

Re: No DVD here either
Oct 5, 2004, 14:11
Re: No DVD here either Oct 5, 2004, 14:11
Oct 5, 2004, 14:11

I've had a DVD drive in my computers since Jan 2000. Nice to have for the occasional DVD viewing when the wife had friends over and they are watching something or to access the DVD/PC features on some DVDs.

I just use it instead of a CD-ROM for disk-to-disk dupes, etc, with a CD-RW.

Also, I seem to be one of the few people who isn't bothered my 6-CD installations and the like.

Same here. Not a big deal at all for 1 install. I'd like it on DVD, but doesn't REALLY matter. I'm certainly not going to pay more if I don't want the additional content.

Once you've installed the game, you only need one CD anyway.

Hopefully, with Steam, you won't even need that.

* Warhawk *

"What happened?"

Oct 5, 2004, 14:08
5.25 Oct 5, 2004, 14:08
Oct 5, 2004, 14:08

Sounds like the old days of 5.25" and 3.5 floppy days. The companies need to grow a set again and just go DVD.

I bet over half of you remember getting the postcard in the box of 3.5" floppy's, send it in and the company sends you the program on 5.25".

This shouldn't be much different, cheaper now then it was then I bet as far a materials go.

Same when CD's came out. Office 4.0 1 CD or send the postcard in to Micro$oft for 33 3.5" floppies...

It's no fun when the DMF formatted disk blows a nut during the 19th floppy.

And as far as $30 for a burner, I hear you can also use it to make off-site archives of movie's.
This comment was edited on Oct 5, 14:10.

Whatever...
Oct 5, 2004, 14:03
Whatever... Oct 5, 2004, 14:03
Oct 5, 2004, 14:03

I really don't get the problem: I'm gonna get a dvd+/- writer for under $50 and all my problems are solved. I can then:
-archive my stuff
-not deal with six cd sets which makes for aa sixfold increase in chances of getting a scratched cd
-play dvd's
-give me more space in my case as I can then swap out my old cd-writer (dvd writers can also write cd's) and old dvd drive.

Oct 5, 2004, 14:02
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 14:02
Oct 5, 2004, 14:02

And before all the Steam-bashers jump on my hide, let me say that Steam was easily one of the simplest, most painless process I have been through on the PC in a long while. Having experienced it once, I can say I am not going back to the old physical-copy scheme.

Not jumping on you....yet. But, remeber, the game isn't out yet. Key part of your post is "supposedly". How much space is it taking up? My current install of Steam WITHOUT the pre-load is over 3GB. HL1 and some add-ons.

Secondly....anyone remember that movie long ago, SCI-FI about halloween or something, and when you put the mask on your head, there was a little device on the back of it that either killed you or made you a drone for the company that provided it for you? While they were watching tv it would hypnotize them. Steam reminds me of that movie.

I will be buying HL2 from the store, but will obviously have to update via Steam.

(another thought: There is a recent SCI-FI movie/show on that had something similar. People would watch TV and they would turn to dust with this new device on the top of their tv. These people were part of the "test group" for this company. I forget what show that was also. It was late one night last month and it was on SCI-FI)

Oct 5, 2004, 13:54
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 13:54
Oct 5, 2004, 13:54

Well again, I think it's because in America there's a lot of computers sold through Dell and Gateway and places like that where the user gets a computer put together for them. It's probably assumed there's a lot of customers here that wouldn't know how to or are not inclined to upgrade their own computers to a DVD drive.

That's my guess, I don't know if DVD drives are have been standard for cheap pre-built systems for a while now.

[edit] I'm with you on the Steam purchase Gandhi. I think it's a great option if you already have broadband. I'm amazed at some of the hostility it's recieved... god forbid something new and inovative is introduced to the world (though I'm not opposed to the scrutiny it recieved on if it was doing any type of spying).
This comment was edited on Oct 5, 14:01.

Oct 5, 2004, 13:52
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 13:52
Oct 5, 2004, 13:52

I think either Valve is being very smart, or Vivendi is being incredibly dumb (depending on who made the decision to sell CD-only for the U.S. market).

A strong majority of HL2 sales will be in the U.S.. Sure there will be sales in Europe and Asia, but no where near the numbers sold in the U.S. A CD-only set up in the largest market drives sales to the Steam system That's why I say Valve is really smart or Vivendi is incredibly dumb.

Hey, whoever made the decision, it certainly worked on me! Downloaded the Steam client over the weekend, and have a copy (supposedly) of HL2 on my HDD patiently waiting for the go-ahead from Valve.

And before all the Steam-bashers jump on my hide, let me say that Steam was easily one of the simplest, most painless process I have been through on the PC in a long while. Having experienced it once, I can say I am not going back to the old physical-copy scheme.

Although it does make EBaying played games rather more difficult. I think I will be selective about which games to download and which games to buy from stores. For example, all id-developed games will be purchased on CD/DVD format only

All you Steam-naysayers need to get with the program and enter the 21st century. Steam is not bad at all and very user friendly with low overhead.

Oct 5, 2004, 13:46
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 13:46
Oct 5, 2004, 13:46

Damn, I find it an insult that the U.S gets all these CD versions while UK and most of Euro, gets the DVD versions of games. Seriously, I hope they realize how lucky they are. While they use 1, say it again, one, uno, 1 disc to install the ENTIRE game, we have to use 6 cds, swapping to hell, hoping one disc doesn't accidently get messed up, etc. I seriously hate cds so much. DVDs are the future of gaming and better catch on faster. I own Ut2k4 DVD copy cause there no way in heck I'd installing 5 cds. I also have Metal Gear Solid Substance DVD, I think it's only DVD, and good thing, it's like 6gb or 10gb fully installed, I don't remember. I mean seriously, you just have to be lame if you don't wanna lay down 30 bucks the most for a DVD drive.

Does anyone know if the reason for exporting DVDs instead of CDs has anything to do with the encryption laws or the tarriff that may be imposed on weight or # of pieces?

Maybe a long shot, but there has to be a reason hidden somewhere in here.

Oct 5, 2004, 13:45
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 13:45
Oct 5, 2004, 13:45

Damn those hi-rez textures and high quality sound! It's all just a ploy to move people over to steam!!

The huge size of normal map textures is why ATI made their compression for it in the first place.

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older