Out of the Blue

Space pioneer Gordon Cooper dies has the news of the passing of my favorite character in The Right Stuff. Oh well... at least they could finally put his photo on the wall in the Happy Bottom Riding Club.

R.I.P.: 'Psycho' screamer Janet Leigh dies, 77. Thanks Mike Martinez.

Links of the Day: How To Cost Microsoft Money. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
S'Mores Wars. Thanks David.
Stories of the Day: Cameras show who let the dogs out. Thanks Simon.
Eurocrats leave Wales off EU map. Thanks Mike.
Band sets thong on fire in show-stopping stunt.
Science!: Fill 'er Up, With Microbes.
Stress and aggression reinforce each other at the biological level.
Program cracks crosswords.
Auctions of the Day: Activist groups attempts to auction off World Bank on eBay.
ATARI NES SNES N64 GAMECUBE SEGA PS2 GAME SYSTEM LOT!!! Thanks Justin.
Follow-ups: SpaceShipOne captures X Prize.
Volcano still shaking 2 days after 'hiccup'.
B.C. group scraps draft-dodger statue.
Thanks Mike Martinez.
View : : :
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: duhhhhhhhhhh...
Oct 6, 2004, 15:37
Enahs

Re: duhhhhhhhhhh... Oct 6, 2004, 15:37
Oct 6, 2004, 15:37
 Enahs

good eye?? i dont think so, because apparently he cant even figure out that it was a misprint - from July of 04, NOT 03..

Yes Mr. Wizard it was pretty easy to tell from the apparent wording of the E-mail, it was in theory sent in 04’.

My point was as follows: You brought up something (or some aspect) not being discussed, not in an attempt to further conversation but to just “get a rise” out of people (read:trolling). My criticism was to you, that if you are going to do that, please insert the proper dates (and I made the assumption that you incorrectly typed/applied the wrong date to the sent line).

Thus, my original statement still stands, if you are going to troll get your dates correct please.

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Re: No subject
Oct 6, 2004, 11:55
Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 11:55
Oct 6, 2004, 11:55

He pops out every few months to collect his Halliburton check.

C'mon guys, I thought all this had been put to rest already.

Cheney spokesman Kevin Kellems said the amount of the deferred pay is unaffected by any Halliburton business because Cheney had purchased an insurance contract that guarantees he will receive the full amount owed.

Cheney also had options to buy more than 400,000 shares of the company stock, according to financial disclosure records filed in May 2003. Cheney said he has committed to donate to charities any proceeds from the sale of that stock and cannot personally benefit in any way from the holdings.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30209-2004Sep17_2.html

Oh, BTW:

At one point, Edwards attacked Cheney for the administration's decision to give billions of dollars in new contracts to the vice president's former company, Halliburton.

But congressional auditors recently reviewed those contracts and concluded U.S. officials met legal guidelines in awarding the business without competition -- in part because Halliburton was the only company capable of doing some of the work.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/05/debate.fact.check.ap/index.html

* Warhawk *

"Uh...Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal."
"What happened?"
"Had a slight weapons malfunction but, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're all fine here, how are you?"

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 11:57.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Oct 6, 2004, 11:46
Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 11:46
Oct 6, 2004, 11:46

the fact that you focus on the meaningless dating misprint instead of the content of the letters

I think the point you are missing, as stated earlier by SMA, is that MM has no problems fabricating "evidence" to support his point of view. Unless you know one of the authors of the e-mail letters personally, you might, as I tend to do, give everything MM says/prints/puts forth as much credence as the Iraqi Defense Minister - we all know it's BS.

* Warhawk *

"What happened?"
"Had a slight weapons malfunction but, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're all fine here, how are you?"

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Oct 6, 2004, 08:50
nin
Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 08:50
Oct 6, 2004, 08:50
nin

Yes I did get the feeling he had been severely inconvenienced by having to turn up had far more important stuff to be doing

Hey, hiding in a bunker for months at a time takes practice. And he's a pro at it...

edit: He's like a groundhog. He pops out every few months to collect his Halliburton check.

www.muse.mu
This comment was edited on Oct 6, 08:51.

Oct 6, 2004, 04:04
Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 04:04
Oct 6, 2004, 04:04

I was watching it for a bit, and kept waiting for Cheney to turn to Edwards and say "Look, you little pissant, do you know who I am? I can have you and your family and everyone you ever met crushed with one phone call!"
Yes I did get the feeling he had been severely inconvenienced by having to turn up had far more important stuff to be doing

No subject
Oct 6, 2004, 03:58
No subject Oct 6, 2004, 03:58
Oct 6, 2004, 03:58

"Oh and go fuck yourself with a splintery wooden pole."

how can i do that when its always stuck up your ass???

the fact that you focus on the meaningless dating misprint instead of the content of the letters is what makes you a true hero... ROCK ON DUDE!

"When the bomb drops it'll be a bank holiday
Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Re: Mouse Buttons
Oct 6, 2004, 02:52
Re: Mouse Buttons Oct 6, 2004, 02:52
Oct 6, 2004, 02:52

You use a stick for NHL hockey?!
Yeah, why? I really dislike gamepads as an alternative, and the keyboard is no option at all. Plus, the stick is best for flight sims which eliminates me from having to use a different controller for hockey.

Re: Draft resolution is dead
Oct 6, 2004, 01:33
Re: Draft resolution is dead Oct 6, 2004, 01:33
Oct 6, 2004, 01:33

The Army has fallen short by at least 10% of on their current recruitment needs...

Which neatly explains why they've exceeded there recruitment goals this fiscal year. Oh wait...

Oct 6, 2004, 01:30
Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 01:30
Oct 6, 2004, 01:30

Ah I see, you have a copy of the original email and know exactly when it was sent and can thus conclude it was just the BBC making a typographical error in the copy and pasting of said email. Michael Moore isn't above fabricating an email to make a point, and if you honestly believe he cares about soldiers you're kidding yourself. The man only cares about two things: getting his political agenda across and making money.

Your asking me to believe it was a typo because then it wouldn't make the email look suspect. It's gonna take a little more than that.

you too are a genius!!! wow im in the presence of greatness here

Oh and go fuck yourself with a splintery wooden pole.

Re: Draft resolution is dead
Oct 6, 2004, 01:26
Re: Draft resolution is dead Oct 6, 2004, 01:26
Oct 6, 2004, 01:26

No worries about this any more, since the draft bill is dead

Heh, yeah...sure. The Democrats draft bill was a clever bit of politicking but it in no way means the issue is dead. The Army has fallen short by at least 10% of on their current recruitment needs and will really be behind when the stop-loss gap is ended. Stop-loss is illegally being used and is being challenged in the courts right now which is going to put a huge dent in the armed services as all these guys finally get to quit (should take no more than 1 year).

Couple that with the fact that Dubya will want to go after Iranian and Syrian natural resources if he manages to steal a second election and you can bet dollars to donuts he'll do it and bring back a republican style draft for it as there's no other way he can possible do it.

Look for one or two major "terrorist" acts to happen. It'll be just what's required to scare the sheep into line and accepting of a draft. Just like Hitler's Reichstag Fire, it's all too easy.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."
- Herman Goering as related to Gustave Gilbert at the Nuremberg trials

"I never saw a dame yet that didn't understand a good slap in the mouth or a slug from a .45."
- Bogart, Play it Again Sam
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

No subject
Oct 6, 2004, 01:14
No subject Oct 6, 2004, 01:14
Oct 6, 2004, 01:14

yeh your right - all the other emails on that article from March 04 through August 04 must be totally bullshit too

you too are a genius!!! wow im in the presence of greatness here

"When the bomb drops it'll be a bank holiday
Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy

- SUBHUMANS

Re: duhhhhhhhhhh...
Oct 6, 2004, 01:07
Re: duhhhhhhhhhh... Oct 6, 2004, 01:07
Oct 6, 2004, 01:07

good eye?? i dont think so, because apparently he cant even figure out that it was a misprint - from July of 04, NOT 03..

What the hell are you talking about? The article that that email was quoted in was posted today, we can all agree on that. The quoted email, according to the sent line, was sent in July of 2003. The content of the email references August 2003. Now either the soldier in question couldn't keep his dates straight, the email traveled back in time so that it could be sent before it was written, or Michael Moore pulled the email out of his, quite large, ass.

duhhhhhhhhhh...
Oct 6, 2004, 00:54
duhhhhhhhhhh... Oct 6, 2004, 00:54
Oct 6, 2004, 00:54

heres the original article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1319718,00.html

i cant really be responsible for anyones misprints, but i can be responsible for ridiculing your lack of reasoning abilities - assuming that it must be fictional

there are some real geniuses on these forums here
This comment was edited on Oct 6, 01:00.

- SUBHUMANS

Oct 6, 2004, 00:49
Re: Mouse Buttons Oct 6, 2004, 00:49
Oct 6, 2004, 00:49

Specifically, select the button then in the list of tasks click other>select function>generic button. Not sure how other programs are still picking it up for navigation, but they are (as I said though, only tested with IE and Opera).

I don't think I have that option (after a cursory review of the mouse settings), but then again, I never had a problem with those buttons not working in games, either. (Logitech MX510 - Driver 9.80 - Control Center 9.80.019)

* Warhawk *

"What happened?"

Oct 6, 2004, 00:45
Re: Mouse Buttons Oct 6, 2004, 00:45
Oct 6, 2004, 00:45

I just set it to generic button? How will it pick that up in programs where I use back and forward for navigation?

Specifically, select the button then in the list of tasks click other>select function>generic button. Not sure how other programs are still picking it up for navigation, but they are (as I said though, only tested with IE and Opera).

Ack! Mouse just decided I've got a low battery--no more RO for tonight.

Oct 6, 2004, 00:31
Re: Mouse Buttons Oct 6, 2004, 00:31
Oct 6, 2004, 00:31

I'll have to check out this logitech setpoint software. I just set it to generic button? How will it pick that up in programs where I use back and forward for navigation?

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
The mayor of your hearts <3<3<3<3<3
ExcessDan

Oct 6, 2004, 00:30
Re: Mouse Buttons Oct 6, 2004, 00:30
Oct 6, 2004, 00:30

You use a stick for NHL hockey?!

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
ExcessDan

Oct 6, 2004, 00:26
Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 00:26
Oct 6, 2004, 00:26

haha, good eye, enahs

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
ExcessDan

Oct 6, 2004, 00:13
Enahs

Re: No subject Oct 6, 2004, 00:13
Oct 6, 2004, 00:13
 Enahs

So, that e-mail was sent in July of 2003, but talks about past events in Aug of 03? If you are going to troll around, at least get your dates figured out.

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Draft resolution is dead
Oct 5, 2004, 23:52
Draft resolution is dead Oct 5, 2004, 23:52
Oct 5, 2004, 23:52

5. The only people who WANT to bring back the draft are some of the black members of congress who want to see the kids of the rich going to fight instead of poor blacks who need the money and can't get into college without it.

No worries about this any more, since the draft bill is dead:

http://wireservice.wired.com/wired/story.asp?section=Breaking&storyId=931626

"After a bitter debate on Bush's handling of Iraq, the House killed the bill 402-2 as Republicans sought to stamp out rumors of an impending draft that have swept college campuses and the Internet, worrying young people and parents across the country."

FYI.

90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older