C-S: Source Next Week

Half-Life Fallout has word from Gabe Newell on Steam packages for Half-Life 2, which will be made available for purchase next week, allowing another chance for gamers to pre-purchase the still not-gold game, in spite of recent doubts cast upon its release date (story). Each of the three game bundles includes Counter-Strike: Source, and word is the full final version of the revamped version of the military shooter mod that comprises Half-Life 2 multiplayer play will be made available on Steam at the time the bundles can be purchased. Here's the summary of the various retail and Steam editions of Half-Life 2:
Retail Boxes

• Standard Edition — includes HL2 and CS:Source. Ships on six CDs, in one of three box-art packages (Gordon, Alyx or the G-Man).
• Collector's Edition — includes Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source, a Half-Life 2 T-shirt and a Prima book sampler. Ships on a single DVD.

Steam Packages

• Bronze — HL2* and CS:Source.
• Silver — HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam.
• Gold — HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam, Complete Strategy Guide from Prima Games, 3 different Half-Life 2 posters, Half-Life 2 hat, Half-Life 2 postcard, Half-Life 2 stickers, Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD, Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

*To be made available upon product's release.
View : : :
137 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older

Re: Gabe&MSFT
Oct 4, 2004, 11:47
Re: Gabe&MSFT Oct 4, 2004, 11:47
Oct 4, 2004, 11:47

vajbern.

You don't have to post over multiple threads with the same comment.

Re: Gabe&MSFT
Oct 3, 2004, 00:12
Re: Gabe&MSFT Oct 3, 2004, 00:12

That fat f**k Gabe learned well from the evil Bastard "Satan" Gates: trying to get the biggest piece of the pie possible... and Gabe obviously loves his pie.

I don't want that shite Counterstrike. I just want HL2 and HL1: Source. Why don't they have a single-player option? Having Counterstrike bundled with any HL2 option is like having to install Internet Explorer with Windows... purely Gates-ian.

I think I'll hold off a few months after release and then pick the game up in the bargain bins, but that could be in 2010 with all the smokescreens Valve are ushering up.
Let's see if it beats Quake 4 out the door.

One girl's opinion. PEACE!!!

Re: Gabe@MSFT
Re: Gabe@MSFT Oct 3, 2004, 00:12

That fat f**k Gabe learned well from the evil Bastard "Satan" Gates: trying to get the biggest piece of the pie possible... and Gabe obviously loves his pie.

I don't want that shite Counterstrike. I just want HL2 and HL1: Source. Why don't they have a single-player option? Having Counterstrike bundled with any HL2 option is like having to install Internet Explorer with Windows... purely Gates-ian.

I think I'll hold off a few months after release and then pick the game up in the bargain bins, but that could be in 2010 with all the smokescreens Valve are ushering up.
Let's see if it beats Quake 4 out the door.

One girl's opinion. PEACE!!!

Re: What the Heck is Steam anyway
Sep 30, 2004, 14:34
Re: What the Heck is Steam anyway Sep 30, 2004, 14:34
Sep 30, 2004, 14:34

Well, as long as it doesn't have to verify the cd key every time I fire it up or require me to patch, I think I can live with that.

Re: No subject
Sep 30, 2004, 11:30
Re: No subject Sep 30, 2004, 11:30
Sep 30, 2004, 11:30

i dont give a fuck if you agree with it or not - im not writing to you personally here, im just responding to tycho's lame ass metaphor

Troll.

No subject
Sep 30, 2004, 10:05
No subject Sep 30, 2004, 10:05
Sep 30, 2004, 10:05

allowing another chance for gamers to pre-purchase the still not-gold game.. LOL

so what we have is a bunch of people with HL2 vouchers from what.. last year? most of the game on their HD doing nothing... and now the ability to pre-purchase the game... with no definately release date this side of six months..

no thanks, as Sauron said a while back this is joke. Bring it out already, and ill go pick it up at the local Walmart.

Re: Damn them
Sep 30, 2004, 08:30
Re: Damn them Sep 30, 2004, 08:30
Sep 30, 2004, 08:30

The way I see it, especially with all this Quake nostalgia the past few days, is that paying extra for the CE (I'm on dialup so Steam is not an option) is my insurance against a possibly not-all-encompassing experience if HL2 doesn't live up to it all.

As much as I've railed against Valve's BS the past year (my first HL2 preorder is now over a year old) I have to admit - this game gets me excited. The potential of everyone in the old community back and playing a few kickass titles, you know, that kind of synergy (like walking into a LAN party and seeing everyone in the same game) - I really haven't felt that since QuakeWorld. UT2004 came close, but between HL2 and TRIBES, I think we'll feel it again. There's just something about one title being so fun, so fast-paced, so inventive and fresh that it drives you to play it all the time. Something that keeps you engrossed with what feels like endless replayability, with weekends filled with laughs and fun even over the same maps. (Thinking Quake, DII, etc.)

And again, if it doesn't pan out that way, I'll pay the extra $20 for a good old HL remake. That will definitely keep me interested, especially if Sven does a retro-coop patch for that in addition to his HL2 mod.

Re: the big picture
Sep 30, 2004, 01:44
Re: the big picture Sep 30, 2004, 01:44
Sep 30, 2004, 01:44

I just don't really see the whole "The DVD is GOD!!! CDs SUXXOR!!!" point everyone is trying to make. If we still had to spool the game off the CD, then yes, having to swap CDs would be a fucking chore, but it's fully installed on your 500000000000000GB HD anyways?

Two reasons why I like DVDs:

1: Storage. Given the amount of tapes, CDs, DVDs, cartridges and whatnot related to gaming that I currently own, finding space for all this crap is getting old. One DVD means one game takes up one slot on my rack. Six CDs means one game takes up six slots on my rack--if I can even put the case in the rack. Those double-size jewel cases are the bane of my existence, and Doom 3 really pissed me off when it came in one.

2: Convenience. I don't know about you, but I only have so much hard drive space. Most of it is taken up by my mp3/ogg/FLAC collection. When I'm done with a game, I uninstall it. If there's some kind of great new mod, finding those six CDs to reinstall will be a pain in the ass. Finding one DVD requires precisely 1/6th the effort. 1/12th if you include swapping discs while installing.

Actually, a third reason:

3: Content. UT2K4's DVD comes with the entire game plus in-depth map-making video tutorials. I like extras. DVDs allow more of them. HL2 has this also: buy the CE, you get more stuff on less physical media. THAT, my friend, is progress.

Re: ATI Coupon Holders Win Bronze
Sep 30, 2004, 00:00
Re: ATI Coupon Holders Win Bronze Sep 30, 2004, 00:00
Sep 30, 2004, 00:00

I agree the free bronze package is a good deal.

I had just got done reading the steam forums though . . .

apparently not everyone agrees. Imagine that.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 00:02.

Re: Changing Times
Sep 29, 2004, 22:53
Re: Changing Times Sep 29, 2004, 22:53
Sep 29, 2004, 22:53

I don't understand how you can make that statement.
Remove Steam from your PC.
Do not use the HL1 Disk.
Try and install HL.

How the hell are you going to do that?

Burn the steam folder to a DVD-R , a wad of CDs, or back it up to tape, then expand it back out.

Sep 29, 2004, 22:45
Re: ATI Coupon Holders Win Bronze Sep 29, 2004, 22:45
Sep 29, 2004, 22:45

Oh man, I can hear the whines from here. High ho silver, away!

Eh, I have the ATI voucher and i'm pretty happy about it. As long as I get CSS next week I'm good. I'll probably end up paying more to get HL1:S later as well, but no worries.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 22:46.

Re: the big picture
Sep 29, 2004, 22:35
Re: the big picture Sep 29, 2004, 22:35
Sep 29, 2004, 22:35

They can develop their games on a shoe-string budget, and wouldn't have to pay for shelf space all across the country and shiny boxes with half a dozen CD's and a printed manual inside. They would just have to make it available for download. Not many sales = no substantial bandwidth bills.

Well, first of, they're not paying for shelf space right now. Theoretically the publisher is, but I doubt that even publishers have to pay for shelf space. I know that's the case in the world of magazines, but not so sure about games. I asked the local owner at the EB here about it once, when he moved the PC games into the back of the store, and started devoting a whole shelf to the top 10 games, if that was due to lack of money, and he says that it simply had to do with sales, and that he got no money for featuring any particular title.
He might have been lying, but I don't really see why he would have been, since we were just making some smalltalk while his flunky rang up my game.

Second, while I agree that if they don't sell, they don't need any bandwith, that's a mighty big assumption to make when you're deciding how much infrastructure to put into place, right? I mean, when you've made your game, and are putting it out for download, are you going to go by the assumption that it will sell like ass? Or are you going to assume / hope that a lot of people will want it, and thus you will need that bandwith in case a ton of people try to get it?

NOTHING tanks your game faster than the customer not being able to get it. Either in the store, or via your download service. Word will spread out, and people go elsewhere. There is nothing more fickle than a gamer.

And while it's not very difficult to add / remove bandwith (up to a certain point), it's still something you'd really need to take into consideration.

I would download games if I could do so at a guaranteed 300+k/s, but if they expect me to download their game at 20k/s, I'm not buying.

On a side topic, why is everyone so hard on antagonistic against 6 cds? You only have to install it once? What's the difference between having to install the whole thing from a dvd, and having to install it from 6cds, with the obvious one minute's worth of total disk swapping taken for granted?

I just don't really see the whole "The DVD is GOD!!! CDs SUXXOR!!!" point everyone is trying to make. If we still had to spool the game off the CD, then yes, having to swap CDs would be a fucking chore, but it's fully installed on your 500000000000000GB HD anyways?

Just curious.

Creston

Sep 29, 2004, 22:30
nin
Re: ATI Coupon Holders Win Bronze Sep 29, 2004, 22:30
Sep 29, 2004, 22:30
nin

It's still not a bad deal (getting the game for free when you bought one of their cards), but yeah, I'm sure someone will bitch.

Plus, since it'll come through Steam, they won't have to wait longer for ATI or Valve to mail them the media (as some feared they might).

http://www.johnwaitethehardway.com/index2.htm

Sep 29, 2004, 22:13
Re: ATI Coupon Holders Win Bronze Sep 29, 2004, 22:13
Sep 29, 2004, 22:13

The ATI coupon vouchers will be transfered automatically to the Bronze Package.

Sep 29, 2004, 21:50
nin
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 21:50
Sep 29, 2004, 21:50
nin

Does anyone remember who was running the special over the summer that gave you free overnight shipping if you bought HL2 with Doom 3?

Sounds like Gamestop, dude...or if not, they had the same deal.

http://www.johnwaitethehardway.com/index2.htm

ATI Coupon Holders Win Bronze
Sep 29, 2004, 21:38
ATI Coupon Holders Win Bronze Sep 29, 2004, 21:38
Sep 29, 2004, 21:38

from http://www.hlfallout.net/

The ATI coupon vouchers will be transfered automatically to the Bronze Package. We will be offering upgrades to silver and gold for additional cost, but the details have not been fully worked out yet.

Sep 29, 2004, 21:14
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 21:14
Sep 29, 2004, 21:14

I don't want to tell my credit card company I'm so stupid I forgot who I bought stuff from, I'm sure that would do wonders for my credit rating...

I guarantee you that will be far from the stupidest thing they've heard..

-----
"... this has ALL been done before, better and by people who are slightly more competent than a pack of one eyed gerbils on acid."
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Sep 29, 2004, 20:55
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 20:55
Sep 29, 2004, 20:55

I don't want to tell my credit card company I'm so stupid I forgot who I bought stuff from, I'm sure that would do wonders for my credit rating...

You can always go through your credit card records. ALso, you can call up the big sellers (EBGames, Gamestop, etc) and ask them. Or you can thumb through previous months credit card records - most companies now allow you to access last 6 month's statements over the internet.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive
You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

No subject
Sep 29, 2004, 20:19
No subject Sep 29, 2004, 20:19
Sep 29, 2004, 20:19

GODDAMNIT...I tried to find my pre-order info for HL2 so I could cancel it (I want my DOD:S!!! fuckers...) and now I can't find it. Does anyone remember who was running the special over the summer that gave you free overnight shipping if you bought HL2 with Doom 3? I don't want to tell my credit card company I'm so stupid I forgot who I bought stuff from, I'm sure that would do wonders for my credit rating...

HL1 SE
Sep 29, 2004, 19:53
HL1 SE Sep 29, 2004, 19:53
Sep 29, 2004, 19:53

I bet you Barney shoots first this time round, and some alien we haven't seen yet from HL3 turns up in some pointless cut scene.

137 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older